Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I know this is old, but my wife just got to the scarecrow battle, in her own playthrough which she restarted after I refused to keep up the coop one.

So, you get a battle regardless of whether you passed or failed the persuasion check? What the fuck is this? I know, it's a middle finger in the player's face and an insult to the player as a player, made by a lazy designer. Fake choice has always been a game designer trick, but this is inexcusable.

Just seeing this made me want to drop the game again.
There's actually several times in the game where there's opportunities to persuade, but there's really no way to win the persuasion either way. Literally impossible.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
true, those tags should be renamed or at least description changed

Beast - (as i wrote somewhere already) like barbarian but louder and with even less iq
Noble - cliche 1st son of some powerful noble that never saw blood
Barbarian - 1 INT fist fighter from fallouts. Farts are funny
Outlaw - born in backstreets, raised by backstreets. Not to be mistaken about being criminal by choice
Sebile - freedom fighter
Jester - quite vast to describe. If you want to start fights with insult/joke, explore world by playing dumb, engage larian writing in dos1 way, start fights by doing something really, really, really stupid - thats the tag for you.
Scholar - you got knowledge about world. You had no idea about existence of such knowledge until it shows up in dialogue. Also there are some quests you will unlock by being able to read specific texts.

Others can fill tags that I didnt have much experience with

EDIT: wanted to state that I actually like the idea of tags, those are great to define backstory of your character and follow through as you play. Problem is their description, uneven usefulness, stupidity of few and that you can pick contradicting ones.

EDIT2: Scholar usefulness should be replaced by loremaster skill. Sadly skills play no role in dialogues, except for speech obviously
Scholar and Jester are probably the best, from what I've seen (very limited with Jester, but what I've seen was solid - I really regret not taking it for my current "main" playthrough). And I don't mean "best" as in "I like them the most", but as in "They actually work for a wide range of different characters that would fit that bill, without making assumptions". Some are truly painfully written, almost as bad as Sebille or even worse - Noble never appears without you seeming literally retarded, and Barbarians are literally retarded. I have about as limited experience with Soldier as I have with Jester, but from what I've seen, it appears pretty solid too - nothing really interesting that I saw, but it fit the bill and felt proper and not out of place or making assumptions beyond you being a soldier or veteran.

Mystic is often just plain weird - a lot of it implies that you've got the same condition (or similar) to Lohse, but (again, not full-game experience) it never seems to be relevant, so you just sorta drop hints at it, so instead of feeling forced and shittily written like Barbarian or Noble, it feels more like you yourself somehow has a mysterious backstory that not even you know and it's dark and mysterious and shit. It just feels unfinished, somehow, or a cringy attempt at "dark and mysterious" á la Sebille. Outlaw is also often stupid, because again, it makes assumptions that you're a career street-rat, which isn't just annoying when combined with other tags (such as Noble), but it's also not what I actually expected from the word "Outlaw". Say "Outlaw" and I don't think "street rat" or "career criminal" but a highwayman, Robin Hood, or someone that's actually been declared an outlaw, not someone that just happens to be a criminal urchin.

Payd Shell

Arcane
"80% means one in five, 5% means one in twenty which is more than zero!!!"

Are you taking your very first statistics course in middle school, or something
80% chance to succeed means 20% chance to fail, 20% being the one in five chance, not the 80%. The counter argument was that my examples that I already labeled as outliers are terrible over-exaggerations. Which they really aren't, hence my heavy-handed explanation.

Wait, so all that's required for me to win the lottery is to enter it enough times?! So that's where I've been going wrong!

:takemymoney:
Well, yeah. Otherwise nobody would win the lottery.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Scholar and Jester are probably the best, from what I've seen (very limited with Jester, but what I've seen was solid - I really regret not taking it for my current "main" playthrough). And I don't mean "best" as in "I like them the most", but as in "They actually work for a wide range of different characters that would fit that bill, without making assumptions". Some are truly painfully written, almost as bad as Sebille or even worse - Noble never appears without you seeming literally retarded, and Barbarians are literally retarded. I have about as limited experience with Soldier as I have with Jester, but from what I've seen, it appears pretty solid too - nothing really interesting that I saw, but it fit the bill and felt proper and not out of place or making assumptions beyond you being a soldier or veteran.

Apparently Scholar is the only one that is actually useful; all the others are just flavour.

cannondwarf

Scholar
I've only used Mystic for parts of act 1, but it was fairly useful, and I've heard it has good entries throughout the rest of the game as well. I chose another tag when I rerolled though, as Mystic often felt boring, "I sense your pain" and shit like that.

Sjukob

Arcane
EDIT: at no point origin companions will disagree or whatever. After joining they are mindless puppets and will never turn on you. They will just share pieces of their tragic backstories. If you are choosing origin characters as companions, pick ones that seem interesting for you. Hint: From what I've red no one found Beast interesting, Sebile story gets interesting in a2.
Well there there are occassions actually .
Telling Red Prince that dragons should be destroyed in act 4 will make him hostile , if you disagree with Ifan about sharing source with everyone he will leave the party , people also reported that you can easily lose sebille if you tell her something wrong in act 4 , don't know , didn't play with her . And it's not like these choices are black and white , there are probably more , I haven't tried everything out .

Also Beast is the best companion , he is a bro and doesn't talk a lot . Unlike others , having him in the party won't make you new enemies or force you to kill vendors or other npcs you would've liked to be alive . So when he is around you feel relaxed , I'd say Lohse is the worst , her content is lacking as well and her "jester" character is pretty dumb .

cannondwarf

Scholar
Also Beast is the best companion , he is a bro and doesn't talk a lot . Unlike others , having him in the party won't make you new enemies or force you to kill vendors or other npcs you would've liked to be alive . So when he is around you feel relaxed , I'd say Lohse is the worst , her content is lacking as well and her "jester" character is pretty dumb .

Have you played with Lohse in your party? I feel like Lohse has an alright amount of content, and the only time I can remember her attacking anyone is in the elfcave in Fort Joy
and considering how Saheila turns out, there's a good reason for attacking as well.

cannondwarf

Scholar
Haven't you noticed that after you extinguish candles in demon's realm some people die in the Arx ? One of them is a spell vendor .

I did Adramalikh fairly late, so I didn't notice the absence of any merchants. At that point in the game you should have all the spells you want anyway.

Sjukob

Arcane
and considering how Saheila turns out, there's a good reason for attacking as well.
DOS2 is one of the few games where I felt good going on murder spree . Fucking annoying stuck up retards everywhere , zealot magisters and their imbecile godwoken Alexander , Gareth who is unable to wipe his own ass if there is nobody to guide him , fucking elves obsessed with idea of conquering the world , lizards that would rather die than talk politely to you ( you should help magisters to execute Meister rather than saving her ) , deathfog dwarves "I might have ended up killing everyone , but it will be beneficial for me " and don't even get me started on "What did they call her ? De axe ? "

Sjukob

Arcane
It's also a shame that it fails to benefit from it due to a lack of reactivity .

Doktor Best

Arcane
It's also a shame that it fails to benefit from it due to a lack of reactivity .

What do you want? Elaborated questlines triggered by eradicating every npc you meet?

There is fucking plenty amount of reactivity. You stumble across it again and again if you even pay a little attention.

Sjukob

Arcane
What do you want? Elaborated questlines triggered by eradicating every npc you meet?

There is fucking plenty amount of reactivity. You stumble across it again and again if you even pay a little attention.
Yeah I worded it poorly , what I wanted to say is that you are railroaded into the major events and your actions don't really affect the plot . And in a game like this with a lot of options available it could've been good . Also yes , you are quite right , when it comes to killing in majority of occassions nobody cares about deceased NPCs and you do a lot of fighting in the game .

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
No, but come on, you wipe out every single Magister in Fort Joy, but you can't even mention the death of several major figures (such as Orivand) to the Seekers, and everyone in the camp still pretend like they're prisoners. And that's just one of the more obvious examples.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm fighting Karon and this is the first time that I am thinking to myself: Screw this shit.

DraQ

Arcane
I have just started this game and I mostly like what I see - in most areas (barring music, obviously :salute: - it isn't bad, but it isn't Kiril's either) it looks like a straight, massive upgrade over the prequel.
:incline:
You get more skills, more elaborate elemental mechanics (which was already THE selling point of the prequel), races, origins, skill synergies (although there could have been more), tags, some reactivity, better writing, really good art design, etc. etc.

The story probably won't be something to write home about (with intro and prologue featuring straight-up Scotia grade asshole witch as a villain) but it doesn't insta-disengage you before the intro even finishes like its prequel did by casting you in the role of some inquisitors (and thus either presumed assholes or protagonists of a boring good-vs-evil story that is so clear cut that it's automatically devoid of all complexity) and then forcing you to take part in (admittedly decently constructed) investigation we have just established you don't care about. Instead you are put onto the opposite end of a pike this time and have the inquisition be assholes towards you personally, which is a good decision, because people tend to like underdogs and kicking the only character player can be made to care about right off the boat - that is themselves or their PCs - is one of the few ways to get players invested (the other way is to pique their curiosity).
You also aren't bogged down by an uncharacteristically (because Larian's humour have historically been quite sharp) inane attempts at comedy - while I would definitely welcome more humour in the vein of Divinity 2 or Dragon Commander and while not ALL attempts at humour in DoS were rotten, I will happily settle for a darker, less humorous storytelling.
Lastly, the writing that's meant to be serious doesn't seem nearly as infantile which was offputting in DoS.

However there seems to be some problems with game mechanics that are frankly baffling. First, the moment you see some characters higher than level 2 it becomes obvious that stat bloat per level is something otherwordly in this game. I can fathom how someone could possibly think that it is a good idea, but given evidence to the contrary I feel compelled to put it as plainly and bluntly as possible - it is NOT.
It NEVER is, even accounting for how rarely you could put something in absolute terms like 'always' and 'never' - any time someone comes up with something that can be described using "exponential" and "level" in the same sentence you just repeatedly hit them with something sufficiently heavy until they come to their senses.

Another area that seems like it will be problematic is armour system.

I therefore have a question:

Do following mods fix it and are they worth using on the first playthrough?

https://www.nexusmods.com/divinityoriginalsin2/mods/58/?
https://www.nexusmods.com/divinityoriginalsin2/mods/168/?

If so, which variant of the first mod would be recommended?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
SzKgk1.jpg

good advice

it immediately reminded me of another renowned classic

1836.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
oh yeah also if that was supposed to be the famed supatuff scarecrow fight, i can only laff

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom