Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Breaking News!] Dnd 4e about to be released!

Kaiserin

Liturgist
So there really are people out there who strictly adhere to the setting provided in the books? Unbelievable. :?

The 'house rule it' argument isn't really so much a defense on my part. Personally, I just like that kind of thing about games. I understand that many others probably don't, but me and the people I play with have just as much fun making up our own systems as we do using the ones in place. I see roleplaying systems as a framework or template that I can derive further rules from anyway. I haven't ever played a game that I didn't house rule in some minor way.

I also play all sorts of games, whether it be WW, D&D, Dogs in the Vineyard, Unknown Armies, RIFTS, BESM, etc. I'm definitely not under the impression that D&D is the end all be all savior of PnP roleplaying games or a one size fits all. Then again, I'm also not under the false impression that such a system exists, no matter what GURPS junkies will tell you.

Redeye

Arcane
The 5 alignment thing actually makes some sense, in the "of the deed" sense, which is what is supposed to drive the D&D alignment system.

Chaotic Good and Neutral Good are different in the thought, but do they act different?
Mostly not. A Chaotic Good character may uphold a lawful system if it is for the best.
So just call them Good.

Lawful Evil and Neutral Evil: in terms of actions, both would exploit the available structure to get ahead. So just call them Evil.

Chaotic Evil would be the directionless spree killers/etc.

I still prefer the old way.

I understand what they're doing in a market sense: moving from simulation based gaming to cinematic gaming.

Spaghetti Western Scenerios, Anime/Comic Book inspired posing and combat...

I don't play games anymore, but on principle I just can't stand the LCD strategy.

They should bring back AD&D as a parallel system. Make it uber geeky, like you have to learn some ornate math or something to decode the rulebooks.

Lumpy

Arcane
Redeye said:
I understand what they're doing in a market sense: moving from simulation based gaming to cinematic gaming.
Cinematic gaming? Moar like puzzle that is an abstractisation of an archetypal party-in-dungeon scenario gaming.

Redeye

Arcane
drunkpriest said:
Wizards of the coast has a concerns and criticisms forum for people that don't like the change. Watch as people get bashed for not liking a mmorpg played on a table.
http://forums.gleemax.com/forumdisplay.php?f=706

I signed up... only to find:

srynopostingoo1.png

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Truth said:
You play Big Eyes, Small Mouth?

Eeeenteresting...

Yeah, it's actually an awesome system for people who don't like to involve a lot of numbers and have weird ideas. I don't bother with the anime setting at all, and use it kind of like a less number heavy GURPS. It really seems to work best for superhero type of campaigns where people are trying to make truly unique characters.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
They are trying to dumb down d&d to appeal to the WoW audience.. This is perfectly understandable.. After all, go where the money is right?

They approached the problem in the wrong direction imo.

What they needed to dumb down, is the learning curve.

WoW does a terrific job of doing this, and slowly introduces more and more concept/content to the player as he levels up his character. You get to pick ONE ability when you make ONE level. (In most cases)

D&D dumps the character creation screen with over 100+ skills, alignment, spells, feats to the player before he even begins to play the game. Many of my more casual friends get turned off by looking at this screen, yet they are moderately intelligent people with a good handle on most games.

Instead of dumbing down the learning curve(the way content is presented to the player), they decided to dumb down the content.

So the learning curve is still extremely steep(which turns off the new players), and the hardcore players get turned off by less content. Lose lose scenario imo.

Disconnected

Scholar
Maybe they should just go back to D&D being the lite edition & release a new (or hell, re-release the old) AD&D for the more simulation minded types.

I started playing the D&D boxed sets. They had little in the way of learning curve & things were nice & fast paced. And eventually it inspired my group to pick up AD&D.

Only problem with that approach is probably that people will start whining about how the new boxed sets are over priced.

BigWeather

Augur
I haven't played since 3.0. Skipped all of the 3.5 book rebuying. I imagine if I pick it up again, based on what I've read, I'll probably go with Paizo's Pathfinder RPG (sometimes referred to as 3.75). It'll be interesting to see how Paizo does with that vs. how WotC does with 4.0.

Oarfish

Prophet
Surgey said:
Popping in to say 4E DnD owns. Carry on.

Didn't you drop out of a codex Paranoia session because you couldn't understand the rules?

Surgey

Scholar
no i dropped out because nico was running it and nobody would tell me the rules

and yeah let me just get that log right now, ill post the link once i upload it

The rules are kind of optional in Paranoia as far as I can tell

Anyone got info on how that session went, though? I'm trying to run one with a few e-friends myself

Xi

Arcane
Damn, the one thing I hate about seeing these new Table Top releases is that I have absolutely no people in which I can play this with. Believe me, I have tried like no other, but somehow it just doesn't click with certain folks. Something about imagining impossible things being schizophrenically crazy and delusional. But fuck them, I just wish there were such a thing as single player table top. That would probably remove all reason to even play the thing, but is still an interesting concept none the less.

So, is it good or have I been falling for the hyped shit I have read about it recently?(Though much of the BS seems to paint it as a WoW clone - which sucks balls) My only real experience with P&P is with Shadowrun. I've dabbled in D&D but never had a steady go with it. Something about the concept of pushing the imagination to the extreme is just, well, fucking interesting to me. So I'm a sucker for these things, but, like I said earlier, I have no base to play this type of shit with.

And to think these products target the people with, most likely, the fewest friends(some probably zero) and require them to play it "multi-player" style. Me thinks this might be a ploy to reach out to those drifting souls who have no real reason for existing. "Hey! Play this with some people, drink a beer, and relax...." Anyway...it's just a nerd party...

aboyd

Liturgist
The great difference between now and previous edition rewrites is that the 3.5 rules have been "Open Sourced" as the SRD. WotC can can't undo that. So 2nd edition gamers had to hoard their books and became a smaller group as time went by. But 3.5 edition gamers will have the SRD, d20srd.org, and maybe the Pathfinder books too. That's very different. It could even grow bigger over time (although I wouldn't put money on it).

gamefan

Scholar
DnD was only good in video games, Imo, the pen and paper game was shit.

Surgey

Scholar
Admiral jimbob said:
The rules are kind of optional in Paranoia as far as I can tell

Anyone got info on how that session went, though? I'm trying to run one with a few e-friends myself

yeah i realized that, but when i was told knowing the rules was treason when i asked how to make a character it kind of raised some red flags with me

The great difference between now and previous edition rewrites is that the 3.5 rules have been "Open Sourced" as the SRD. WotC can can't undo that. So 2nd edition gamers had to hoard their books and became a smaller group as time went by. But 3.5 edition gamers will have the SRD, d20srd.org, and maybe the Pathfinder books too. That's very different. It could even grow bigger over time (although I wouldn't put money on it).

yeah OGL is going to apply to 4e i believe

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Surgey said:
no i dropped out because nico was running it and nobody would tell me the rules

and yeah let me just get that log right now, ill post the link once i upload it

all the rules were in the pdfs we uploaded, you silly goose

cough up the d&d log and I'll call off the homing pigeons

Admiral jimbob said:

It was rather terrible since these two random faggots kept ruining everything, minigunwielder and some other ponce. Here's a part of the log.

edit:
Nico-R-LAL-1: I've been having this nightmare lately in which a fursuit-wearing incarnation of yours truly mistakes a bottle of wholesomely vicious alcohol for non-communistic water and upon downing the aforementioned bottle gets into this insane drunken limbo-dance challenge with this queer fellow he happens to meet in his bathroom mirror and tries to like limbo under a desk or a chair or something insanely low, and gets his spine all fucked up in a limbo-lock, maybe permanently; so he is doomed to for the rest of his life scuttle about the verily wonderful Alpha Complex like a crab, his scalp brushing the floor and his knees trembling with effort. What.. What does it all mean, Jennifer?

hardcore

Surgey

Scholar
i was supposed to run a 4e game today, but a flash flood destroyed our plans (what the hell, god?). a shame too. i planned on blogging it up and letting you guys follow the story and the adventures of the jerk squad

edit: well, next chance i get to run it im not letting god stand in my way again! also the blog will own.

Texas Red

Whiner
Surgey said:
i was supposed to run a 4e game today, but a flash flood destroyed our plans (what the hell, god?). a shame too. i planned on blogging it up and letting you guys follow the story and the adventures of the jerk squad

edit: well, next chance i get to run it im not letting god stand in my way again! also the blog will own.

Is it fun to play D&D alone by yourself though?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom