Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Kem0sabe

Arcane
For anyone with an older Nvidia card who might have been dealing with some occasional stuttering, try this out. Go to your Nvidia control panel -> Manage 3D settings -> Program Settings -> find ELEX on your program list, or manually add it. Modify these setting as such:

Maximum pre-rendered frames: 1
Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
Threaded optimization: on
Triple buffering: on
Vertical sync: on (keep this turned off in the ingame settings)

Helped my occasional stuttering and evened out my FPS on a Geforce GTX 760. Just wanted to post it in case anyone could benefit from it.

Do you think its worth it to update to the latest nvidia drivers? I have a GTX 750 running drivers from last year, never bothered to update.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
The low combat XP is bumming me out. Kill a wolf-dog thing after a grueling fight -> 10xp. Come on! That's meatbug level!

Right now every quest either requires fights I can't win (the Albs at the converter area + mechs, lol wtf), or skill checks I don't have. With no ability to grind xp from mobs. Hrmmm. On to the Outlaw area I guess.

Some things:

-How much HP do I have? Seriously.

-Show me my HP bar while in the inventory please

-WTF is up with the Alt key acting like an alt-tab?

-I couldn't find a teleporter, so I climbed a nearby tower and pressed a button to watch a cutscene which revealed points of interest on my mini map looked around. I saw a teleporter I had missed thanks to the view. Noice.

-Are guns good or bad? I can't make decisions!

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Wasn't expecting this, nice surprise, good first impressions, don't remember too well but I'm enjoying it at least as much as Risen, verticality has promise, combat seems passable, don't know anything about leveling and skills yet.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
For anyone with an older Nvidia card who might have been dealing with some occasional stuttering, try this out. Go to your Nvidia control panel -> Manage 3D settings -> Program Settings -> find ELEX on your program list, or manually add it. Modify these setting as such:

Maximum pre-rendered frames: 1
Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
Threaded optimization: on
Triple buffering: on
Vertical sync: on (keep this turned off in the ingame settings)

Helped my occasional stuttering and evened out my FPS on a Geforce GTX 760. Just wanted to post it in case anyone could benefit from it.

Do you think its worth it to update to the latest nvidia drivers? I have a GTX 750 running drivers from last year, never bothered to update.

They do matter sometimes(sadly not often enough) but it depends on what kind of optimization they do,but sadly your gpu is a little dated so the only option is low-medium 900p or 1080p to get a stable 30-60 fps.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
ELEX is what Gothic 3 wanted to be.

Only thing I've found somewhat lacking from the Gothic series is the atmosphere. Almost everything else seems to be either up to par or actually improved, so far.
ELEX is what Fallout should have been. This game have more in common with Fallout than with any PB game until now.
Fallout 1 is what Fallout should have been and is.
Get down from your high horse mate,you very well know that i am talking about the fps fallout not the classic fallout.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Itemization and exploration is mediocre, repeating same shit to pick up[hammers, oil lamps,flares etc. etc boring shit to sell], and armor and weapon variety to find is somewhat narrow[10 hours in game, found 6 weapons, and you can buy similar things from traders]. The only good part is the fact that by exploration you will sometimes[after trudging through hundreds of trash items] find actually some useful weapons, even OP if you have the skills. I can already feel judging by the item progression that the game at the end will become a childish power fantasy for 15 yers olds where you will roflstomp shit.

6,5-7 are generous reviews, the game can be 7 even 7,5 but after year of patching and improving. Right now its solid 6/10.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
-WTF is up with the Alt key acting like an alt-tab?

The developers decided to inflict the civilized world with their savage keyboards. I think civilized alt is savage windows key. As further proof, change some keybinds to see what hieroglyph character with wavey lines, dots, and squiggles the savages use there. I recommend the tilde key because not only does it change to savage but also doesn't do anything once changed.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
shit controls
Would you mind telling me how far you got along in Gothic?

Gothic 1 - I forced myself to go pretty far due to everyone jerking off over the game when it came out. I did maybe 75%? Gothic 2 - I think 4 hours. I have no recollection of Gothic 3 or arcania. I put about an hour into all 3 risens. Speaking of that, are any of the Risens good and have good chardev? Chardev equivalent or almost equivalent to ELEX? Or is it lite like the Gothics?

I cannot believe what I am reading. I honesty thought that Piranha Bytes was just a shell of a former glory, unable to ever produce anything of value anymore. Is it just a honeymoon or they had came back from the grave?

Elex

Arbiter
shit controls
Would you mind telling me how far you got along in Gothic?
i have no idea how certain review start talking about PB early games calling them perfect rpg of that times and then complain about control, graphics and broken stuff.

gothic 1 score on press was low for the same reason of low elex score.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
PSI is incredibly powerful if someone is interested in going for a mage build. Chose the PSI Amplifier when I joined the Clerics and the Black Hole spell is really broken. It sucks all enemies in, knocks them down, gives them a DoT and does a heap of damage. You can just stunlock a group of enemies easily. Just gotta be careful since it can hurt you as well. The PSI AMP also has a chain lightning spell which was super disappointing and an EMP spell that is supposed to be effective vs mutants and machines.

For those interested in Clerics: I suggest you consider investing in chemistry to make potions for stats / skills, since you have to spread yourself across all the stats in this faction, and you'll be starved for stat points.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I love this crappy excuse that is often said on steam forums:
>looks like many people bought the game who don't know how PB-games work

It's the duty of the game to explain mechanics whether by tutorial or to have ingame encyclopedia/manual, and not expect the player is a psychic/fanboy or otherwise long supporter of the franchise[it has to approach player as he never played other installments, like a tabula rasa]. And on top of that, they expect the player will adapt to the shoddy mechanics, or do workaround around stupid things/mechanics.Or often advise to "have a certain frame of mind" when approaching PB games, and try to "immerse in the atmosphere/mood/charm to understand the game and have more fun". I swear too many people[presumably fanboys] use this excuse to cover PB incompetence.

Still the best is "play for X amount of time, it gets better" xD And bam there goes the refund timer hehe xD Then it's swamp cam...ELEX FOR LYFE ! xD You will stay with us and like ELEX whether you want or not :P

Oh and another complaint. The factions don't feel like they are at war with eachother at all. No skirmishes, no clash quests as the story progress. No camp raiding, no battles of recon units, nothing. It's like a one stay-at-home happy family , that give PC a fetch quests.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter

It's the duty of the game to explain mechanics whether by tutorial or to have ingame encyclopedia/manual, and not expect the player is a psychic. And on top of that, they expect the player will adapt to the shoddy mechanics, or do workaround around stupid things/mechanics.Or often advise to "have a certain frame of mind" when approaching PB games, and try to "immerse in the atmosphere/mood to understand the game and have more fun". I swear too many people[presumably fanboys] use this excuse to cover PB incompetence.

Still the best is "play for X amount of time, it gets better" xD And bam there goes the refund timer hehe xD Then it's swamp cam...ELEX FOR LYFE ! xD You will stay with us and like ELEX whether you want or not :P

Oh and another complaint. The factions don't feel like they are at war with eachother at all. No skirmishes, no clash quests as the story progress. No camp raiding, no battles of recon units, nothing. It's like a one stay-at-home happy family , that give PC a fetch quests.
but when a dark soul game do the same suddenly it's all about getting gud.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

It's the duty of the game to explain mechanics whether by tutorial or to have ingame encyclopedia/manual, and not expect the player is a psychic. And on top of that, they expect the player will adapt to the shoddy mechanics, or do workaround around stupid things/mechanics.Or often advise to "have a certain frame of mind" when approaching PB games, and try to "immerse in the atmosphere/mood to understand the game and have more fun". I swear too many people[presumably fanboys] use this excuse to cover PB incompetence.

but when a dark soul game do the same suddenly it's all about getting gud.

I don't play anything with even a mild stench of japanese/JRPG, so can't comment on that.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

hehe xD

tekknej

Novice
Should this be played in German or English? The story writers were German but it looks like from the credits they put more effort in the English version. Not sure.
after comparing english and german voices in the cutscene and first Duras encounter, i can't fathom playing with english voices. they can't decide if they are B-movies superheroes or tired underpaid voice actors. german speech in comparison sounds pretty human. i hope it's possible to play english version but with german audio.

Kahr

I cannot believe what I am reading. I honesty thought that Piranha Bytes was just a shell of a former glory, unable to ever produce anything of value anymore. Is it just a honeymoon or they had came back from the grave?
PB was never dead it seems.
German/Austrian publishers are just the vilest scum on this planet.

tekknej

Novice
Just keep in mind, the localisations this time are not word-for-word like Gothic 1 & 2, so you may have characters moving on before you've finished reading the subs.
is it really bad sometimes? i remember i couldn't make Risen 1 play that way exactly because full long english sentences sometimes appeared only for 1 or 2 seconds with german VO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom