Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Same :M

Kahr

Found the castle in Adessa weird, considering that none of the factions builts with stone.
Gladly they explained it.
Just a castle from the old world used as an touristic spot.
The audio guide was nice.

ortucis

Prophet
Annoyance with broken enemy placement aside, now that I have a companion travelling with me, things are looking better. I am spending more time exploring instead of trying to survive a random SKULL level enemy hitting me while I try to kill rats.

Also, quests so far have only gotten better, unlike in Fallout 4 where every fucking settlement needed my help every few seconds.

That said, they need to come out with patches ASAP to avoid people refunding and not buying just cause of fixable issues (like enemy placement, just cause Gothic had broken placement doesn't mean every game needs to have.. Risen actually was better in this department).

Raapys

Arcane
Finally got enough dex for muh laser and plasma guns! Except the damage is shit, I've wasted 31 points on Dex to use weapons that do shit damage and my PSI spells do incredible damage (in comparison) despite mediocre stat and skill investments. :negative:
I think I'm gonna have to restart and just go with a full melee or melee magic hybrid, because ranged weapons aren't really doing it for me.
I think you should try sticking with it. What I've noticed is that ranged weapons keep scaling, highest I've seen is 100 dmg, compared to 40 for spells and 70 or so for melee. Granted, spells get a lot less damage resistance, but I suspect with those superduper laz0r/plasma weppons + ranged perk + weapon upgrade take them from barely being able to beat DR to raping everything in a flash. I think they will also benefit from gems that lower enemy resistance.

youhomofo

Augur
Having super powerful creatures and enemies appear close to a game's safe zones and settlements seems like bad design to me. Shouldn't the sense of danger escalate the further you get from civilization?

I haven't played much yet, but I have seen some tough looking creatures very early.

And honestly, I think it's cool. As long as they can be avoided. Why not have big scary monsters that will stomp you into paste if you're dumb enough to attack one with a metal pipe?

Why does every game have to be so artificial? So some big mutant thing wandered close to town. Avoid it until you get stronger. It's also a good lesson to people who are capable of learning lessons. If something's big and scary looking don't fuck with it.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
All the trainers offer all the skills to me (in their respective trees).

Are you remembering to SCROLL DOWN? This tripped me up.

I didn't and now I can train everything.

Achilles

Arcane
What do you need explained? He's saying dangerous enemies next to the starting areas have been part and parcel of the Gothic series since the very beginning; it's not much different. Khorinis especially has some killer goblins if you go one way, killer orcs the other way, killer bandits the third way and a killer shadow beast somewhere else.

I got that. I'd like to know if he considers it good design or not.

Tigranes

Arcane
Running away from that troll below Edan walls reminds me of the big troll just outside town in G3. Every Berserker complains about how theyve lost coherent order and patollimg since alb attack, it works fine.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Did anyone found the ghost in the center place in the valley of the damned? I am constantly hearing the girls voice but can't find her.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finally got enough dex for muh laser and plasma guns! Except the damage is shit, I've wasted 31 points on Dex to use weapons that do shit damage and my PSI spells do incredible damage (in comparison) despite mediocre stat and skill investments. :negative:
I think I'm gonna have to restart and just go with a full melee or melee magic hybrid, because ranged weapons aren't really doing it for me.
I think you should try sticking with it. What I've noticed is that ranged weapons keep scaling, highest I've seen is 100 dmg, compared to 40 for spells and 70 or so for melee. Granted, spells get a lot less damage resistance, but I suspect with those superduper laz0r/plasma weppons + ranged perk + weapon upgrade take them from barely being able to beat DR to raping everything in a flash. I think they will also benefit from gems that lower enemy resistance.

Yeah, I hope so. Guns could be the new magic of this game where they only get really good at the end. That said, the poor damage output is only half the problem with guns. The questionable hitboxes aren't making shooting enemies any easier.

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, I hope so. Guns could be the new magic of this game where they only get really good at the end. That said, the poor damage output is only half the problem with guns. The questionable hitboxes aren't making shooting enemies any easier.
I found that the plasma weapon's AoE attack worked best. Seemed to do as much damage as the others, and kept enemies off their feet. But yeah, PSI looks to be king between levels 10-20 or so, though it can be hard to regen points until you can craft dozens of hypos. And now that I've maxed PSI, there's no way to increase the damage further. Granted, most shit go down very quick(cept the filthy trolls which take two full psi bars), but there could be new classes of enemies I haven't encountered.

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
Alright all you people not getting the melee combat, this is classic Gothic style. Click your next attack right on the heels of your last. It's a timing based system.

This is action combat system and uses hyper armor. What that means is that if you swing when your enemy is open, you will cause them to flinch and be able to follow it up with another attack.

These are just general tips and may differ depending on the type of attack the enemy is using and what type of weapon (1 or 2 handed) and whether it's a big monster attacking you or not, but it's a good guideline to how melee combat works:

Attacking
- If you attack with a LIGHT attack you will flinch if you get hit during your attack, and your attack will be interrupted and you will take damage
- If you attack with a HEAVY attack you will NOT flinch if you get hit during your attack, but you will take damage
- The more successive hits you get in a well timed combination will improve your combo meter faster and will allow you to use a special attack that you cannot be flinched during
- If you time your attacks badly you may not even swing even though you've hit the button to do so. The better timed your attacks are, the faster your next one will come out and the more of the combo meter will get filled up.

Parrying with a weapon
- You will lose stamina if attacked while parrying with a weapon, if the attack reduces you to 0 stamina you will take damage from the attack and flinch.
- Light attacks: You will negate the attack if you have at least 1 stamina left after absorbing the attack with a parry.
- Heavy attacks: You will still take damage through your parry even though it hasn't taken all your stamina. Dodge these.
- With monsters it's harder to determine the type of attack they are using, but they still have light and heavy attacks.

Hyper-armor or Poise
- The earlier you are in your attack animation that you get hit, the more likely it is that you will flinch. The later you are the more likely it is that you will follow it through.

Enemies
- Also use heavy and light attacks.
- The heavier the attack, the more stamina it will drain if you parry. It's a good idea to save up enough stamina to dodge out of the way rather than parry for big enemy attacks.
- Big slow monsters will have big telegraphed attacks but can one shot you, so conserve that stamina

Weapons
- You want to upgrade them often. Even a +2 increase in damage from a weapon could mean the difference between 50 attacks to down an enemy and 10.
- (Not tested yet) I suspect that two-handed weapons will have more "Poise" which means that you will get flinched less often when you use them, so you can blast away tanking enemy hits and dealing big damage in return.
- One handers have more of a dart-in dart-out style that lets you punish enemy openings and take less damage overall if you're good at timing.

Multiple enemies
- Fighting without locking on ("X" key default on m/kb) works much better for me
- I've found success mostly in cheesing when I get attacked by multiple enemies. Kiting by running away and thinning the herd with grenades and ranged attacks.
- You can sprint away from an enemy while keeping the camera looking behind you, let them catch up just barely enough and then surprise them with a heavy attack and a dodge away immediately afterward. I was able to drop a group of 7 reavers at level 2 by doing this. It's not very satisfying though.
- Not cheesing this will basically be trying to drop the weaker foes (the ones wearing less armor) with ranged attacks and then dueling the toughest guy with your superior action twitch skillz

Spamming attacks
- Don't fucking do it or you will think the combat sucks

If this helps anyone I'll keep updating it as I learn the combat system more. This system is actually fairly complex and I suspect if you enjoy action combat, melee is the way to go.

Last edited:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
The inventory disgusts me to no end,I can't find anything in it and it's so damn confusing,there's no way to sort the items by their stack number or at least sort them by something especially when you sell/buy.

The whole UI is garbage,it has no style at all,it's the same fucking shitty thing as the Numenera one,like some baboon tried his luck in photoshop,my god does everything has to degrade to this level these days,how much of this shit do I have to endure.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I found that the plasma weapon's AoE attack worked best. Seemed to do as much damage as the others, and kept enemies off their feet. But yeah, PSI looks to be king between levels 10-20 or so, though it can be hard to regen points until you can craft dozens of hypos. And now that I've maxed PSI, there's no way to increase the damage further. Granted, most shit go down very quick(cept the filthy trolls which take two full psi bars), but there could be new classes of enemies I haven't encountered.

Yeah, guess I'm just gonna stick to PSI'ng my enemies for now. Apparently the guns do get (much) better once you invest all 3 skill points into the gun skill and get some of the more high end guns.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Still playing on Ultra.
65 Strength, upgraded a Mace to Mace +2 and socketed it with red gems! I am a terror, destroying everything!*

*slowly, and can't even touch any of the 'big' monsters without horrible death

ortucis

Prophet
All you guys investing in guns and PSI, all I have been investing my points in is armor, health and stamina so far.

Probably cause I am undecided still whether to go with melee or ranged (don't wanna use the bow at all). I need to find other clans to make my decision.

Raapys

Arcane
PSI is definitely the go-to 'make me powerful nao!11' option. Ranged seems to hit its peak much later, and possibly a higher peak than PSI. Not sure about melee, but given the damage monsters dish out, I think it must remain challenging throughout the entire game.

ScubaV

Prophet
Also, I really suggest anyone who remotely understands German to play in German - the writing is much better (still nothing amazing) and the voice acting is basically the same six guys that voiced Gothic. The German used isn't very difficult at all (as far as German goes) so you should be okay with school / beginner level German and a dictionary by the side.

Volles Pfund aufs Maul just doesn't have the same vibe in English.
I'd go so far as to say none of the Gothic games (counting this one among them) really work in English. English is a great language for a lot of things. It's not a good language for ... okay, the jokes really write themselves, but: being shit on. German is perfect for the Gothic-experience where you're the lowest of the low at the start; everyone is mouthing off at you, everyone is a brash asshole, and you slowly have to fight, inch by inch, for respect. German is a perfect language for this kind of gritty, rough around the edges, dirty world.

Russian/Polish/Czech would also work I bet.

I don't speak German so I can't compare, but I thought the Gothic games in English worked well. I don't know if it was more the voice acting or the translation, but the dialogue especially combined with the ridiculous conversational animations gave the whole thing a rough, campy feel but in a good way. I felt like I was laughing with the game rather than at the game and made most of the characters feel like the uneducated, oafish low-lives they were. In contrast, Risen 1 NPC interaction was just polished enough to feel kind of bland. It's like staying at a clean, two-star hotel vs. your friend's home that's a little messy, but lived-in. My brother and I still sometimes quote Gothic stuff at each other. "By EE-NOS!" or "Go down to the mines and take care of those minecrawlers" while punching the air in a weird downward fashion or waving our forearms back and forth over our abdomen.

bataille

Arcane
I curse the day I saw someone mention that the teleport to cleric citadel is readily available in the dome city. Couldn't help myself and rushed there at level 7, hoping to become a part of the clergy. Now I'm stuck not being able to win the mandatory battle with the drug dealer...
And that's after miraculously solving the quest that involved killing four cleric drones and a goliath.
I guess it's time to buy a few hundred energy cells and master the art of hitting and running for 10 minutes straight. Ehhh, maybe tomorrow...

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Heads up, it looks like strength doesn't do a whole lot for melee damage (https://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1502981-Kampffähigkeiten-verbuggt in German). The attribute is either bugged or the effect is very small. Better weapons make a comparably large difference though, I just got a broadsword and the enemy HP bar is actually moving now when I hit them. Just don't dump all your points into strength and expect a massive damage increase.

That there is no character overview with comprehensible descriptions/formulas for how damage/hp/armor/etc. work is easily the biggest flaw so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom