Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Chain swords are super fun. Strictly-speaking I think Berserkers are best for melee due to the (really useful IMO) melee-centric spells they get -- but chain swords are pretty much just as strong as Berserker melee weapons, but are way more fun to use. I think they have better animations, too.

My axe does a ton of damage but its animation is garbage. The power attack has a tiny range and the third or fourth swing always goes wide and misses.

My level 10 character has a laser sword I found in a Edan building at level 3. It does 47 damage + damage over time + stuns the enemy for a second. Demands 43 Str and 43 Dex, but by ignoring cunning and con (save a few points for armor), plus loading up on Elex drinks whenever I can, I managed it earlier enough that the game has really opened up for me. Really kick ass weapon.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Berserkers are doing good work with their world hearts. They even do it without profiting from it directly. But their hatred of technology is a big no because it is irrational. It's interesting that they use magic. In the beginning I thought Elex was Gothic in the far future but a thought occurred while I was listening to one of the endless exposition dialogues.
What if Gothic is the future of Elex, a future where berserkers won and merged with the clerics who later became followers of Innos.

I thought about it, but Adanos, Innos and Beliar were real entities, whereas in ELEX
Calaan was just the name of the space project by the Infinite Skies company; the Clerics are utter retards.
My opinion is that ELEX is supposed to take place on Earth.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Why can't you read the thread or just the last few pages or demo the game or read some reviews?

I'm not very interested in the game in general, so reading 70 pages for it isn't on my bucket list. A simple yes or no would suffice.

So, at the end of the day, is the game good?

For me, yes. If you know what you're getting into (i.e. have past experience with games like Gothic or Risen) you'll likely enjoy it. If not, I couldn't say.

For what it is worth, I was expecting it to be a LOT worse after reading the first 20 pages of comments in this thread (and related reviews). I was expecting it to be buggy, and have atrocious combat with broken hit boxes, etc. In my experience all those claims have been overblown.

In 20 hours I have run into a few small bugs, but nothing major. If my map is zoomed out, I can't -- for example -- move the cursor to the teleporter on the far upper right of the world map (Horts teleporter). Discovered I could get around that by zooming the map in a bit. I also had a quest become enabled enough that markers were placed all over the map (Murder Investigation in Goliet), but not enough for any of those marked people to acknowledge the subject I had to discuss with them. That fixed itself after I went back to the quest giver and went through a few additional lines of information.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why can't you read the thread or just the last few pages or demo the game or read some reviews?

I'm not very interested in the game in general, so reading 70 pages for it isn't on my bucket list. A simple yes or no would suffice.
Fine. So some guys will say yes and some guys will say no.

How does that help you? Unless you also know what all those guys like AND dislike, their yes or no will mean nothing to you without context.

If I say "yes, it's good" - what does that tell you? Absolutely nothing, other than that someone with my tastes (all kinds of RPGs, focus on labor of love, focus on looting / killing / increasing stats / exploration) likes it.

The point is, even if you just tally the yes/no amounts, it will tell you nothing...

Sorry, autism.
Anyway, to answer: I think it's good.
I think it has a lot of flaws. The writing is iffy. The world takes some getting used to. The combat isn't fun until you get used to it and get a decent weapon and some quests under your belt. There are some bugs, some of them severe - I encountered one where it renders one of the joinable NPCs completely useless, and another that meant I couldn't get a (small) quest reward.

But this game is more than the sum of its parts. The writing isn't great, the music is ok but nothing special, the sound effects are weird, the voice acting is old-school, but it does things no game has done in a long, long time: give you a breathing world to have fun in, with a big focus on getting stronger and exploring. So if you like traditional RPGs in the way Gothic 1 and 2 were RPGs, you will have a lot of fun. If you are looking for a dungeon crawler or a game with excellent writing or intensely mechanical combat, you will be disappointed.

That might sound very negative but I genuinely enjoy/love this game a lot. In my opinion it's almost as good as Gothic 2, and only worse because the enemies are not as hand-placed and respawn. Other than that it feels pretty much identical -- Gothic in a new setting, by the same old guys with the same old voice actors, the same old animations -- but with all new, and extremely improved quest design and real consequences, choices and reactivity.

To me, this game is the next best thing after Ultima 7 and Gothic when it comes to "open world" in a way I enjoy.

ELEX

Last edited:

Anyhoo, it's hard to really answer your question. I like it. I'm forgiving when dealing with C-rate developers, so I can overlook the poor animations and occasional bug. The sandbox is fun to explore, and I can get into the fiction of it all. I find it a fun world to lose myself in, though the opening is tough as nails, and the progression curve (and progression in general) has some systemic issues. It's like watching a Jean-Luc Godard film from the late 60s or 70s -- it's a little low rent and janky in comparison to Hollywood standards, but the deviations from the formula are charmingly unexpected.

If you like exploration, decent environmental variety, tough combat, mutual exclusivity in the narrative path, elements of choice and consequence in the quest lines (more than Oblivion, less than Fallout New Vegas), and can keep a "glass half full" perspective, you'll enjoy it. If you played Risen 1 and didn't hate it, you'll likely see this as an improvement.

Elex

Arbiter
I thought about it, but Adanos, Innos and Beliar were real entities, whereas in ELEX
Calaan was just the name of the space project by the Infinite Skies company; the Clerics are utter retards.
My opinion is that ELEX is supposed to take place on Earth.
yes elex look like an alternate earth, i can almost identify the car models.

Tigranes

Arcane
Elex actually has very few bugs, but it is very janky.

I like how if your dude is in a weird angle while using the vault boy or opening lockpicks your body texture obscures half the interface Super Mario 64 style

Seeker
In My Safe Space
As to how good it is, there is no point in assigning arbitrary numbers or letters to rate a game. For me games are divided to those that are worth completing and the rest. Elex, like Nier is a must play.

I'll say this, I haven't been this addicted to a game in ages. I've been playing 5-10 hours a day, roughly speaking.

Normal for me is anywhere from 0 (the standard) to 2. Even modern games I like, ranging from Witcher 2 to Torment: Tides of Numenara, were 1 to 2 hour play sessions, and those felt long.

For as janky as the game is at times, it really makes me want to see what is over the next hillside.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I second this. Very rare for me. I work 10 hours on work days + 2 hours commute, and go to school all day on the other days, and yet I still have been playing this constantly. Usually I am too tired to get into a game. Last game I got this into was NieR Automata.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
So if you annoy the nice lady Nasty she's going to attack you,but here comes the best part ,she's untargetable,so no matter what you do,you just stand there and take the beating.What kind of high end cuckoldry is this?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Engine limitation; companions aren't targettable except for that one time you can duel that one guy to the death.

Kind of a big problem because my Caja bugged out and is always "Pissed off" so I can't talk to her, can't get her to join and can't get her to leave. She's just a vegetable now... I wanna kill her but it's impossible.

Murk

Arcane
I had a similar bug a few times where I can't target an enemy. Just swing at them without locking on, still works.

When fighting mobs it's actually better to not lock on so you can hit multiple enemies with your swings.

As for bugs, only other one I've seen is when mutants (specifically, humanoid mutants) get hit they have a chance for their model to stretch out for a split second. Kinda funny actually since they look like they're made of rubber already.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
No, this is different, you literally can't soft or hard lock companions, and even if you swing at them, it pretends you missed them. No friendly fire.

Does Piranha Bytes communicate with their audience about upcoming bug fixes or product roadmaps (yeah, that's more of an early access expression, but you get my drift)?

Murk

Arcane
No, this is different, you literally can't soft or hard lock companions, and even if you swing at them, it pretends you missed them. No friendly fire.

Oh, well shit. Is there a 'guaranteed kill' option via marvin/minsky mode?

Murk

Arcane
Kind of Pratchett-esque.

"you have haggled the selling price down to free, so I have chosen to not offer it for sale instead"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom