Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

PrettyDeadman

Saywer is playing the game in German; he's gonna do a song too.

Talented person is talented in everything: game journalism, singing, looks.

imweasel

Stumbled upon this picture, book and a dead guy at a campsite.

Some of the writers certainly have a sense of humor. :lol:

XzldQ6K.jpg

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Game's bretty gud. Interactions between the factions is one of the best parts of the game, as in each city you get quests dealing with this and are constantly having to choose to screw over some faction or another. I love the jetpack - really opens the world exploration up and helps get out of the jams you get in while exploring given that there are so many monsters that fuck you up, in classic Gothic style. Combat seems fine - worse than Risen 1 but not terrible. If they fixed the crappy hitboxes it might even be good.

I've been a complete Elex teetotaler so far and haven't had any problems finishing Chapter 1 (while doing most of the quests from each city), though I guess I'm probably underpowered compared to some of you guys who just chug Elex all the time for dem attribute points.

C&C in this game is awesome, I wasn't expecting to see major consequences so early on, but it's great.

Definitely wasn't expecting the Albs to fuck up the Dome City so early. It makes sense, since I mostly helped the Outlaws destabilize everything. Though when I went back after the shit went down the survivors all told me it was because that one little faggy Outlaw shut down the shields thanks to me giving him the modulation chip, even though I told him to go fuck himself when he asked for it since it seemed obvious it would lead to something like this :x.

I guess that unqualified Outlaw dude who gave me dosh to make him the new engineer gave him it. Or something. Or it's a bug.

I rate ELEX/10

I'm also laughing at all the confusion on the official forums over whether attributes should be contributing to anything in-game (besides merely gating out items).

http://community.elexgame.com/threads/1206-Core-mechanics-severely-bugged/page1

Honestly, I thought the same (that they were supposed to contribute), but I think the game would be far too easy if that were the case. I'm now in the "the descriptions are worded inappropriately" camp.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
more XP from quests perk
That's bad perk, don't take it specifically.

Never play a PB game thinking like a robot vacuum cleaner, which is how we mostly play other games: you reach an area, you systematically explore and clear all enemies and discover eveyrthing, you move on. In a PB game you can't do that. You have to mentally treat each region not as a new discrete sector of enemies and loot to eliminate, but part of the whole world you will keep crisscrossing over and over again.
I should try to accomodate this behavior, because now I'm exactly like a vacuum cleaner lol.

And my actual expirience - for the first time, I deepened in combat system.
I returned to Small Camp, and fought cratures near it.
First thing I learned was animals do respawns quickly.
First I want to clean up place around Camp, but realized that if I got to sleep after every critter, I won't go anywhere.
Second thing I learned - human type enemies much easier to defeat.
I won fight with a reaver from nearby camp from third try - got 100 exp.
And I can't reliable kill turkey that called Biter I think - it is much more difficult, because it never run out of stamina, while reaver knocked down from first combo set.
Also now I can do combo chain more or less reliable, congratulate me, it was very nice feeling when I realized that.

I'm now in the "the descriptions are worded inappropriately" camp.

Yeah, must be. When they were writing the descriptions their hand kindda slipped. Every single time.

Dude, it's a bug.

I'm not in front of my computer to read the precise wording, but it looked to be the kind of thing that could be interpreted in different ways (i.e. the wording may be in reference to the attribute requirements on items). This is not particularly uncommon when reading something in translation.

After all, the difficulty and progression curve to damage output isn't wildly out of the norm compared to Gothic or Risen.

I'm not even sure whether vendors instantly restocking inventory is a bug.

Ditto. My money is on "yes" given how much access to Natural Elex (and thus Elex Drink) this affords.

Same question with the lack of non-standard projectile restock (e.g. I've seen one vender selling explosive bolts, and after purchase they never came back).

Grimlorn

Arcane
I'm done. I've conquered the ELEX.

Final stats:
9CFF388FFDD2A95D04CC4DCF9AB111E7A3C004A5

Edit: I've pumped 200+ attributes points with Elex Drink potion. Maybe more.
Git gud.
23hpx89.jpg

Still in Chapter 1 :D

I can confirm I went from mellow to logical from quaffing a bunch of potions just now.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, must be. When they were writing the descriptions their hand kindda slipped. Every single time.

Dude, it's a bug.
The descriptions could have been written early in the dev process. Then at some point they decided to do away with attributes being anything other than gating but forgot to update the descriptions.

Well even if I could play right now I'd probably wait a couple of months. It's a PB game, waiting is always a good idea. But I'll definitely go for another NotR playthrough as soon as I could, just to get in the mood.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm done. I've conquered the ELEX.

Final stats:
9CFF388FFDD2A95D04CC4DCF9AB111E7A3C004A5

Edit: I've pumped 200+ attributes points with Elex Drink potion. Maybe more.
Git gud.
23hpx89.jpg

Still in Chapter 1 :D

I can confirm I went from mellow to logical from quaffing a bunch of potions just now.

Oh my God, you madman.

Also, I must sadly report my Elex adventures have come to a premature end.
Due to a bug, my main quest is unfixably broken.

Remember when I said I can't talk to Caja anymore due to a bug? That she's stuck in "pissed off" mode, like when you steal from an NPC and they are briefly unable to talk to you because they are angry? One step of the main quest requires me to talk to her. Nothing I do helps - I can't hit her, having NPCs knock her out doesn't help, teleporting doesn't help, reloading doesn't help.

Welp, we had a good run.

ELEX

Also, I must sadly report my Elex adventures have come to a premature end.
Due to a bug, my main quest is unfixably broken.

Remember when I said I can't talk to Caja anymore due to a bug? That she's stuck in "pissed off" mode, like when you steal from an NPC and they are briefly unable to talk to you because they are angry? One step of the main quest requires me to talk to her. Nothing I do helps - I can't hit her, having NPCs knock her out doesn't help, teleporting doesn't help, reloading doesn't help.

Welp, we had a good run.

ELEX

Shitty, mate. Can't say I've hit that point in the main quest, and must admit to being a bit surprised Caja is a lynchpin in anything, but due to being spoiler averse I'll leave this as a mystery for the ages.

Starting again, or taking a break? The latter might be good for a bit, given the impending patch issue.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Gonna take a break, see if patch fixes it / adds console commands.
Otherwise I am done. I think I do a have from before the bug appeared but that was ages ago and I am not interested in replaying the same content right now.

And yeah, I tried all the obvious stuff: resting, reloading, letting her get knocked out, etc.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Gonna take a break, see if patch fixes it / adds console commands.
Otherwise I am done. I think I do a have from before the bug appeared but that was ages ago and I am not interested in replaying the same content right now.

And yeah, I tried all the obvious stuff: resting, reloading, letting her get knocked out, etc.

Advance the main story!? You should be able to do it without Caja.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
You sure? It's listed in the main quests. You sure that part's optional? I can try it.

You sure? It's listed in the main quests. You sure that part's optional? I can try it.

I've seen optional stuff get added to the main quest log. Again, you may be further than me, so I'm not 100%, but it seems weird that an optional companion would be a mandatory element.

To say that again, I'm not sure all main quest Quests need be completed to complete the game. Much like you don't need to complete every regional quest to, for example, join a faction.

Tigranes

Arcane
Never play a PB game thinking like a robot vacuum cleaner, which is how we mostly play other games: you reach an area, you systematically explore and clear all enemies and discover eveyrthing, you move on. In a PB game you can't do that. You have to mentally treat each region not as a new discrete sector of enemies and loot to eliminate, but part of the whole world you will keep crisscrossing over and over again.
I should try to accomodate this behavior, because now I'm exactly like a vacuum cleaner lol.

And my actual expirience - for the first time, I deepened in combat system.
I returned to Small Camp, and fought cratures near it.
First thing I learned was animals do respawns quickly.
First I want to clean up place around Camp, but realized that if I got to sleep after every critter, I won't go anywhere.
Second thing I learned - human type enemies much easier to defeat.
I won fight with a reaver from nearby camp from third try - got 100 exp.
And I can't reliable kill turkey that called Biter I think - it is much more difficult, because it never run out of stamina, while reaver knocked down from first combo set.
Also now I can do combo chain more or less reliable, congratulate me, it was very nice feeling when I realized that.

A lot of gamers think & play like vacuum cleaners, and get very frustrated when they can't do it. Not necessarily because they are degenerate: decades of video games have trained them to play this way. In most games you are expected to & rewarded from thinking "room A, kill everyone, loot everything, next" - so when you suddenly can't do it, it's natural to think the game is too hard/broken, or that there is some other problem.

But to liberate yourself is easy: play a game that is built differently (G2, AOD, what have you), and then just try it for a while.

Then you realise how refreshing it is. In fact, the vacuum cleaner approach is fundamentally similar to the guy who complains there's too much stuff in Morrowind and he keeps having to go back to the dungeon 20 times to pick it all up; the guy who wants all the achievements and complains POE's 'The Ultimate' or 'Triple Crown' is "too hard"; the guy who wants to join all the factions and complains he's not allowed to; or even in Elex, imagine someone who says but I want to have guns and magic at the same time and also not suffer any of the downsides or join any faction. I don't think anyone said that here, but you can easily imagine someone out there thinking this way. Once people stop playing this way (and I'm not saying you Fenix do any of this), they realise that a lot of those frustrations disappear.

(Back to Elex, human enemies are a bit too easy; I've very rarely seen enemies that use heavy attacks effectively to knock you back or otherwise pose a challenge 1v1.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom