Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I'm glad the EU funded Piranha to make a second game. They fund other projects too as can be seen here https://eacea.ec.europa.eu/creative-europe/selection-results/Selection-results-EACEA-22-2016_en
Nice to see some positive aspects of the union, too bad they aren't advertised enough to make people understand that it's good for us. They even gave money to Daedalic for Superlatent but the only info of it I found was in German.
To put it in Elex gameworld perspective, if the factions united everyone would be living a better life.

Elex

Arbiter
I'll give the game this - I fucking love how it fucks you up for doing stupid shit. Like:
The fucking guy straight up tells you that dude, this shield is fucking bonkers, unstable as fuck, and it's about to go fucking boom, and we need to fix it. Here, you go get this to the maintenance guy. And what do you do? You hand it over to be tinkered with by a retard toaster repairman because he wants to open up just a small part of the shield so he can get out if things heat up. Serves you the fuck right for being retarded.

This isn't the only time the game fucks with you for operating on popamole Skyrim gaming logic, though. There's a quest in Edan to find a group of separatists, and - retarded as I am - I decided to tell the guy that gave me the quest that they're peaceful and that he should send someone there to negotiate with them, because they're looking for allies. I did this despite him straight-up telling me repeatedly how much he fucking hates Albs. That was me being a retard, because go figure, when I finally meet up with the separatist leader, he blames me for the death of these dudes and I'm like "Wait, what the fucking fuck?", and I go back to Edan and 'lo and behold, the fuckers are dead, sent by the guy that initially gave me the quest.

I mean, I exacted revenge on that asshole right then and there, but I love how the game does that. Most of the quests are shit, but I've really started to appreciate how the quests are interwoven and affect eachother and almost all can be done out of sequence. The dialogue almost universally is a fucking travesty, it's a bug-ridden fucking mess, a bunch of sentences make no sense at all, and sometimes I can't react to it properly (like in the situation with the separatist leader), but the idea is great and the fact that they got it all working so well on a more fundamental level is actually really cool.

That and the exploration, the environments, etc., completely carries the game. It doesn't redeem it by far - the fact that the character development is shit, the crafting is shit, the combat a complete fucking travesty on a level unforgivable in 2017, the controls and animations clunkier than soviet-era Lada, and the UI is worse than a hatefucked lovechild of Skyrim and Fallout 3, is enough to sink it.
also:
if you refuse to tell the alb hater zerker the position he attack you, so i suppose the smart solution is lie and give the zerker the posiotion full of agry alb

Murk

Arcane
Saving my boy Jack from cannibals felt righteous and good. Honestly, he should be closer to the starting area as he informs you quite well of the setting of the game and the history. Fun encounter. Also, interesting weapon you can get -- high CON req.

Stat reqs really are all over the place for some weapons... they all "make sense" to whatever extent a sci-fi game about magic sword wielding jetpack using magic ore junkies who steal toilet paper can make sense, and I guess it allows for "any build" to potentially have a weapon choice.

Elex

Arbiter
So I finally decided on joining the Berserkers, and the recruiter that walks around Abessa and daterapes you unless you have suggestion unlocked and takes you to the Hort told me that I am a disciple of mana and blah blah blah and that I corrupt my body with Elex? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Is putting some Elex technology brain chips in your body any different?

well i gradually learn that:

-jax join a faction of the free people only because he need power and can't rejoin the alb as a separatis and can't recover his gear.

-berzerker have no idea what magic actually is.

ortucis

Prophet
Ebessa Dispute would have been a nice C&C feature if everything about it wasn't bugged and broken. Some people just have that quest unclosed like me, while others get results actually opposite to what they were doing, like outlaws winning while player worked against them or whole place destroyed even if you didn't give the part and armed city with robocops :shittydog:

I didn't understand what happened in my game either, I tried giving separatists a chance but they joined with outlaws in rebellion, although I didn't give outlaws any guns and weakened them in all quests. In the end clerics just painted everything red with murderbots when idiots rebelled and city left standing with clerics & berserkers, sooooo I guess this is fine.

Quest is bugged for me as well but, I don't see how anyone can screw that quest up. It was WAY too easy to figure out how to side with which faction. Outlaw winning when not expected will happen if the player is a retard.

Separatist quests give a good hint about what their intentions are. The Alb girl mechanic's attitude, the fact that "maybe" someone saw them meet an Alb outside the walls, makes it obvious that they will not fit in. Outlaws on the other hand are just way too obvious in comparison, but still, it's all too simple to not fuck up.

Also, not gonna spoil but the casual cannibalism made me laugh.

"Jax, come join me and drink soup made out of these skulls we collected." :hahano:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
How many outcomes are there for Abessa?

Just "Clerics massacre outlaws/albs" and "albs invade"? Or is there a "outlaws win" variant?

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
At this point I am wondering whether there is more than 2 outcomes to the domed city conflict. Either you help the clerics fortify the city without sabotaging any of the mechanical stuff, or you try to help the outlaws take over the city, which will then result in the albs slaughtering everybody. Berserkers siding with the clerics is kind of obvious from the zerker vs alb quest, and the seperatists get caught in the middle while trying to play the other 3 factions.

Thankfully the claws don't give a fuck about any of this and continue business as usual, regardless of the outcome upstairs.

I did pretty much every cleric quest the way you are supposed to, fucked the outlaws in the ass, got Nyra hired for the job-opening and helped the seperatists so they wouldn't get kicked out. Apparently Nyra did a bad job with the shield because the other bitch is all whiny about my recommendation, I am wondering whether the zerker-dude would've been a better choice, and maybe a couple more named NPCs may have survived if I got the albs kicked out before the insurgency?

Seeker
In My Safe Space
When I went to save the dude from the cannibals and reclaim the cleric's weapon, he asked shards from me. Big mistake, I kill everyone who asks for shards. Too bad I couldn't loot the weapon from his body and now this quest will never be complete. Still worth it of course, tramps should know their place.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
My savegame has almost 20 hours clocked now, and I think I can more or less say that:

ELEX, much like Divine Divinity, and for fairly similar reasons, is the best shit game I've ever played.

This is more or less my bottom line for the moment. We'll see if it changes down the line.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I'll give the game this - I fucking love how it fucks you up for doing stupid shit. Like:
The fucking guy straight up tells you that dude, this shield is fucking bonkers, unstable as fuck, and it's about to go fucking boom, and we need to fix it. Here, you go get this to the maintenance guy. And what do you do? You hand it over to be tinkered with by a retard toaster repairman because he wants to open up just a small part of the shield so he can get out if things heat up. Serves you the fuck right for being retarded.

This isn't the only time the game fucks with you for operating on popamole Skyrim gaming logic, though. There's a quest in Edan to find a group of separatists, and - retarded as I am - I decided to tell the guy that gave me the quest that they're peaceful and that he should send someone there to negotiate with them, because they're looking for allies. I did this despite him straight-up telling me repeatedly how much he fucking hates Albs. That was me being a retard, because go figure, when I finally meet up with the separatist leader, he blames me for the death of these dudes and I'm like "Wait, what the fucking fuck?", and I go back to Edan and 'lo and behold, the fuckers are dead, sent by the guy that initially gave me the quest.

I mean, I exacted revenge on that asshole right then and there, but I love how the game does that. Most of the quests are shit, but I've really started to appreciate how the quests are interwoven and affect eachother and almost all can be done out of sequence. The dialogue almost universally is a fucking travesty, it's a bug-ridden fucking mess, a bunch of sentences make no sense at all, and sometimes I can't react to it properly (like in the situation with the separatist leader), but the idea is great and the fact that they got it all working so well on a more fundamental level is actually really cool.

That and the exploration, the environments, etc., completely carries the game. It doesn't redeem it by far - the fact that the character development is shit, the crafting is shit, the combat a complete fucking travesty on a level unforgivable in 2017, the controls and animations clunkier than soviet-era Lada, and the UI is worse than a hatefucked lovechild of Skyrim and Fallout 3, is enough to sink it.
also:
if you refuse to tell the alb hater zerker the position he attack you, so i suppose the smart solution is lie and give the zerker the posiotion full of agry alb
But
At the time, I had already wiped out the other "Weakened Alb" albs, so I couldn't tell him to go eat those instead (which is what I assume you're saying). I don't remember my options, but I think the [Lie] option basically amounted to saying that they were dead or weren't there.

To bad, too, sending some berserkers to fuck with the albs posted in the region would've been interesting and I wonder how the conversations would've played out afterwards, especially with the Separatist leader.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
My savegame has almost 20 hours clocked now, and I think I can more or less say that:

ELEX, much like Divine Divinity, and for fairly similar reasons, is the best shit game I've ever played.

This is more or less my bottom line for the moment. We'll see if it changes down the line.
I'll say that I still think that Elex is overall a shit game, while I overall still think that Divine Divinity is a great game, but I must say that I've warmed up to Elex at least a little bit. There was actually a moment before I was an all-powerful monster-fucker that started to max out skills and shit because the economy is broken, but after everything in the game was making me want to murder the game itself for the combat and controls being absolutely horrendous, where I was actually having fun.

But I think that the comparison to Divine Divinity is fair. Much like Divine Divinity, most of the issues are systemic in nature. I think it's just a lot worse in Elex because the format is different - Divine Divinity has issues that makes me go "This is fucking stupid. Alright, whatever." whereas Elex actually fucks me up because of those same issues. Like who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have quickslots 1-9/0 and be unable to reassign them in 2017? Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have spells work as equippable items since, like, fucking Morrowind? With my 1-3 taken up by a melee weapon and two ranged weapons I regularly use, and my main PSI Amplifier on 4, you've basically ensured that I'll never be able to effectively use anything else in combat, because I need to let go completely of my movement keys, which is a big fucking nono, especially in a game where you fucking dodge by double-clicking for some godawful fucking reason.

This wasn't even OK 10 years ago.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
fc6VX5g.png

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Like who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have quickslots 1-9/0 and be unable to reassign them in 2017? Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have spells work as equippable items since, like, fucking Morrowind? With my 1-3 taken up by a melee weapon and two ranged weapons I regularly use, and my main PSI Amplifier on 4, you've basically ensured that I'll never be able to effectively use anything else in combat, because I need to let go completely of my movement keys, which is a big fucking nono, especially in a game where you fucking dodge by double-clicking for some godawful fucking reason.

This wasn't even OK 10 years ago.

I know this is heresy, but melee in this game is way, way, way better with a controller. Switching from K&M to controller got rid of a lot of the frustration and "jankiness." I suspect Piranha Bytes designed it with a controller in mind.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
How many outcomes are there for Abessa?

Just "Clerics massacre outlaws/albs" and "albs invade"? Or is there a "outlaws win" variant?

Pretty sure there is no Outlaws win outcome.
They're degenerates, anyway. What we need is Berserker/Cleric faction. Pro-Nature, Anti-Luddite. Let's call 'em Druids.

Its funny too because the outcome at Abessa says that the Outlaws are reckless idiots whose schemes cause chaos and fuckup society.

BUT THEN the Clerics need the Awesome Action Girl Nasty to be their Great General because she's the best military genius in the whole region wtfuuuuuuuuuck

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom