Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Mine's 17.

I'm wondering: just how many Gb-s worth of Thief 1 and 2 fan missions are there in total?

Don't have an exact number at the moment, but my archived T2 FM collection is 28 Gb (T1 is 1.5 Gb) but it's missing a few "outlier" FM's and this year's FMs, so a ballpark estimate from me would be 32 Gb... and rising.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Don't have an exact number at the moment, but my archived T2 FM collection is 28 Gb (T1 is 1.5 Gb) but it's missing a few "outlier" FM's and this year's FMs, so a ballpark estimate from me would be 32 Gb... and rising.

So... beautiful.

Jazz_

Arcane
Well, I have been playing ''The Chalice of Souls'' (amazing map btw, just stunning) almost exclusively, when I'm stuck I watch a walkthrough (I know, I know, heresy..), the problem is that all of a sudden the game like...stutters a bit and crashes at some points (seemingly always the same points in the map), this is what I get when I crash:

BiSU3D8.jpg

Does anyone have an idea what it could be that's causing it?

Last edited:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Can you tell exactly where it crashes? I've never seen this happen unless you're playing with HD texture packs.

Jazz_

Arcane
No I don't use any HD texture. So this is weird, if I load an earlier save I don't crash in the same spots I crash with my main save, and there is no stuttering/choppiness with the gameplay as well, also it takes a LOT shorter for the game to load if I use an early save, I guess it's a case of savegame corruption that causes the crashes in those spots for some reason?

Jazz_

Arcane
^ New Dark 1.25/TFix 1.25

I guess it's just a case of savegame corruption. Sucks tho I was already 1 hour in and the earliest working save is just 10 minutes in.

Anyway, I have played ''ACK! There's a zombie in the basement'' in the meanwhile, honestly it was kinda...underwhelming. Also I started ''Raven Creek'' by Christine and her interiors gotta be the most impressive I have seen so far, there are so many pleasant little touches.

uyANNYY.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, Christine is a master at interior decoration. Her missions are always beautiful (except for her early ones which are quite rough), but her level design isn't quite up there with the best of the best. Too little verticality.

Still, Christine is one of the bigger influences on my own mission designs.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reportedly, if you play enough Christine missions, Garrett will grow too fat to mantle up simple obstacles or fit through tight openings. You will also gain a *0.8 movement multiplier.

Nice cakes and pastries, though.

Max_b5

Augur
This is more of an impression than a review, but here it goes.

This has no spoilers so feel free to read everything.

Bonds of Mine by AntiMatter_16

'Bonds of Mine' is the third mission in the 'Mine Saga'. In short, the first mission is a pitch black dark mine and, the second, a very atmospheric small mansion. Neither of these two are bad, but the highlight of the series has to be the third entry: 'Bonds of Mine'. Story-wise it's not that mind blowing, as you're asked to steal an artifact from a mage's tower located in the northern mountains of The City.
You start in your cabin and have to make your way to the tower while also stealing some loot from a Hammerite Monastery, a nearby garrison, and some very well designed caves (mostly thanks to the lighting). What makes this mission in particular so special? The atmosphere. As you traverse through the mountains, you know something is afoot thanks to the excellent use of ambient sound and lighting. Even though you are alone most of the time, you will always feel as if you are being stalked by someone or something. The feeling of uneasiness grows as you explore more places and walk through the narrow paths in the mountains (There's also a very interesting readable somewhere ;))
For those taffers out there who like to drink in the mood and enjoy the atmosphere, this mission is for you. Recommended.

Hines

Savant
Glad it's out. I don't ever want to do that again. Next time, a much bigger team!
Well, I know what I'll be playing this weekend. It's a serious accomplishment to create something this ambitious. I've been following this over on The Weary Taffer for around a decade, and as soon as it finishes downloading, I'm jumping in. One day, after taking a long, well-deserved break, you should create a developer commentary on Youtube. I loved hearing Raen and Fett's thoughts on Thief 2X.

Last edited:

Dev_Anj

Learned
I'm 4 missions into Death's Cold Embrace and have been enjoying it so far. It feels in some ways like a "modernized" version of the 7th Crystal, mostly in aesthetics but partly in plot elements too.

The first mission has you investigating a mysterious murder of an inventor and reporting back to a noble, all while nicking loot off the homes of Dayport. It gets most of the basics right: plenty of freedom, several routes of approach, clever gating of objectives, and plenty of variety and side stories alongside a good main one. It doesn't have much rooftop hopping, and is a bit on the short side, but the great presentation alongside the aforementioned factors make it a very breezy ride. I must point out though that a bit too much loot is concentrated in out of way secret locations. Part of this perception might be because I failed to mount the slided bakery roof, which was key to a very lucrative location and delayed me for longer than normal.

The second mission has you break into a mansion to retrieve a formula, evidence to blackmail another lord, and of course, more loot. As far as mansions go, it doesn't stray too far from the tried and true concepts: marbled corridors, underground crypts, fancy wallpapers, the works. However, once again it does nearly everything right, has good presentation and features interesting and memorable moments, including a rather hilarious Benny scene. I was especially fond of how they worked around the dilemma of having every light linked to a switch without trivializing the gameplay. While I must say the mansion was a bit too small for ostensibly one of the richest lords of the City, a smaller, fleshed out space is generally always welcome over a long yet padded area.

The third mission is just a trek back to a small inn in the district first visited in the first mission, with the small change that you can't be spotted by the City Watch this time and all other buildings aren't accessible. It's pretty short and exists only to push the story forward.

Fourth is cutscene galore, and sets up intrigue for what comes next.

The creators have constantly been saying that DCE isn't like classical Thief, yet it is safe to say the first act is a classical FM campaign, with perhaps more camvators than normal. But these are no ordinary camvators; these often have carefully selected angles, are paced well enough, and avoid "spoiling" the mission environments much. While the rest of the levels maybe more story centric, the first act is pretty typical and good, and can be safely recommended to most Thief fans.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The creators have constantly been saying that DCE isn't like classical Thief, yet it is safe to say the first act is a classical FM campaign, with perhaps more camvators than normal.

So is the first mission of the second act.

The claims of it being "not like a normal Thief FM" are hopelessly exaggerated, Yandros you taffer. :M

These are excellent classic Thief missions.

Mechs Delight

Educated
I'm on the first mission of DCE right now, and I must say, I'm quite impressed. It's mostly the neat little atmospheric touches and the gentle winter setting that sold me initially, but there's plenty more to see, hear and do.
I especially enjoyed the light shop and dress shop, the conversation between Mechanist and Cop near the gate, and the drunk City Watchman. Which reminds me, someone ought to make a voice set for a drunk woman.
There's a nice touch of humor as well.

(Now watch, Unkillable Cat will probably swoop (or is that bound?) in and point out something like Audiolog Syndrome or not enough roof action or something.)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
*attempts to swoop in*

*crashes through window*

Yes, there is Audiolog Syndrome in some readables, but otherwise I'm having a blast. First mission done and I was only 400 loot from the maximum. Missed a couple of secrets though, like the trap door in the tower ceiling probably.

Three areas that I liked the most were the inventor's basement (for the tense atmosphere), the painter's house and the dress shop.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I've just reached the start of Mission 7 ("Waking the Dead") in Yandros's megacampaign, and thought I'd put down the thoughts I've been having while playing.

Missions 1 and 2 are an absolute joy to play, a very entertaining city romp followed by a mansion heist. Very good Thief 2 gameplay there. The only problem besides Audiolog Syndrome (which is reaching plague-like levels BTW) is the inconsistency in 'terrain traversal', if I may use that term. It's like this: There are Rope Arrows in Mission 1 and players are challenged to find (alternate) ways into various places. Those Rope Arrows will come in handy. Mission 2, however, not only doesn't have any Rope Arrows, but also outright blocks almost every attempt to try to climb 'out of bounds' - try mantling the outside wall and you'll see what I mean. I was getting Thiaf flashbacks from playing Mission 2, which is a Big No-No. Still, it's a minor detail and Mission 2 is fun overall.

Mission 3 however, is where things start to go wrong. It's a return to the first mission, and it suffers from the same problem as with "Casing the Joint" and "Masks" - two missions on the same map with only minor changes just isn't fun, and it's clear to me that there needs to be more between them than just one mission. This mission felt needless and like a chore. I would have taken the high points of it, incorporated them into Mission 4 (which is just one giant cut-scene) and save a lot of time and effort.

Mission 5 should be fun... but it's the same map as Missions 1 and 3. Playing the same map over is old, doing it thrice is a crime. The new areas help ease the pain, but the cat's already out of the bag.

Mission 6 is, like Mission 3, redundant because it's a re-visit to Mission 2. I see no reason whatsoever to go back there. The vital plot points could have been integrated into a cut-scene at the end of Mission 5 without missing a beat.

Another thing that can be found in "Death's Cold Embrace" are ham-fistedly written scripted events, ones that aren't very Thief-like. The scene in the walk-in freezer in Mission 2 is a great example, but the worst one is in Mission 1/3/5, where there's a room at the inn that can be accessed via the window after some rooftop climbing... except if you do this in Mission 5 you'll be hit by an invisible gas trap and the appearance of an angry sword lady that is teleported into the room to fight you... except the gas trap alone is guaranteed to kill you. Enter the room via the door, however, and this scripted event won't trigger unless you walk in front of the window. This is not good Thief, this is just cheesy.

As Mission 7 takes place in a new area I'm hoping this is where the campaign picks up the pace and goes back to Mission 1 & 2-levels of quality. Regardless of that, I think it's time for me to write that article about Audiolog Syndrome - this shit has got to stop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom