Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Thing is it isn't *fun* the way Gothic 1 and 2 were. Risen games had little soul but satisfied the Gothic itch.....ELEX really feels like MASS ANDROMEDA: BUDGET GERMAN EDITION

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ok guys, fess up.
What difficulty level are you playing on and how many tries did you need to get past that first little dinosaur? The one that looks a bit like a scavenger from the Gothics, just smaller ... but a lot meaner. It's off the main path and maybe 5 to 10 minutes into the game, before you enter that elevator.
I'm playing on hard and I lost count after a dozen tries. I guess in the end I beat it with using one healing potion (realized that I have those after maybe 15 attempts) after nearly 20 reloads.

Definitely an incline game so far. :incline:
The combat system seems more complicated than in the Gothics. That stamina bar might have the potential to prevent things like beating the troll with a club in Gothic II. Which I only watched in a video, could not do it myself. But I can beat Orcs with puny weapons and puny strength on low levels.

Anyway, this could be the better CRPG right here, shifting the focus from player skill to character skill even more than there. And the Gothics already gave retards a headache with its skill buy system. No wonder that critics don't love this game. :lol:

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Ok guys, fess up.
What difficulty level are you playing on and how many tries did you need to get past that first little dinosaur? The one that looks a bit like a scavenger from the Gothics, just smaller ... but a lot meaner. It's off the main path and maybe 5 to 10 minutes into the game, before you enter that elevator.
I'm playing on hard and I lost count after a dozen tries. I guess in the end I beat it with using one healing potion (realized that I have those after maybe 15 attempts) after nearly 20 reloads.

Anyway, this could be the better CRPG right here, shifting the focus from player skill to character skill even more than there. And the Gothics already gave retards a headache with its skill buy system. No wonder that critics don't love this game. :lol:
The difficulty modes here aren't approached the same as something methodical like turn-based - where the AI strategy pool can be adjusted (Larian's Tactitian Mode :cool:) - here it's just a sponge % slider.

Just leave it on default, there's plenty of moments where you'll be abruptly handicapped, don't worry lol.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ok guys, fess up.

The one guarding the amulet? I beat it in one try, on Normal.

In general, I find the combat to be janky, awkward, and somewhat unresponsive, and that's playing at 144 FPS with G-Sync on a 1080 Ti, so in terms of actual technical performance it's extremely smooth. It all comes down to character movement, really. This is exactly what I read about in countless Steam reviews, right down to the falling animation insisting on playing all the way through if you step over a small rock, so I was expecting it. I assume I'll get used to it eventually.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Where's the cleric trainer? I just joined the faction but couldn't find the trainer anywhere in Hort.

imweasel

Where's the cleric trainer? I just joined the faction but couldn't find the trainer anywhere in Hort.
You need to go to Belegar. He is on the first floor of the suggestors building across from the cathedral where Reinhold is.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
>see "Reavers" marked with the Skull of Come Back Later
>press F5
>shoot one with 6 arrows
>his health bar doesn't even move
>die in one hit

Cool. :cool:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
The game really starts to become tedious toward the end
Yeah you don't even work with your faction, just take fetch quests from plot relevant NPCs. Compared to first act it's so linear and cringy.

Act 3, Shut Down 3 more Oblivion Gates Elex plants incoming hurraaah....

I don't even why the factions exist in this game, they are nothing more than equipment dispenser and achieving top rank is just lame, especially when at rank 1 they give you the most basic quests I have ever seen, close to the ''go clean 10 rooms Risen 1'' type of quests. Rank 2 and 3 are not better consisting of quests that make you run around the whole map collecting bottles of alcohol, destroy 5 things, etc. This is one of those games that I won't replay even if you'd pay me

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Thing is it isn't *fun* the way Gothic 1 and 2 were. Risen games had little soul but satisfied the Gothic itch...

:nocountryforshitposters:

Risen 2 and 3 were composed of corridor islands filled with junk skill-locked chests all over the place and enemies that could never kill you unless you suffered from multiple sclerosis, that's some very interesting definition of "Gothic itch".

Get the fuck out of here.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Finished it. 57 hours. Had fun, pretty addictive, enjoyed the story and world. Combat was clunky but you get used to it. Jetpack was a good addition but I wished it had upgrades.

On the ending:
I got low cold, injected the Hybrid with Mana. Yay.

One odd thing that happened:

During the mission with Nasty, I saved Ulbrecht. During the final battle, he showed up with the Clerics (my faction). Logan showed up with the Outlaws, but during the fight they held back and did nothing. Afterwards when I asked him about it, he said he hated Ulbrecht and only showed up to watch us fail. During the post-game victory lap, he attacked me, and I got kicked out the of Fort forever.

Question: Anybody else get this? Does it always happen when you join the clerics, or only when you do the mana-hybrid ending? Or only when Ulbrecht survives? Hmm. I suspect it's simpler than it seems, but still, good job on C&C piranha bytes.

Also, I found it funny you could get a quest to kill Zardom during the postgame. I went thinking it would be some kind of cliffhanger but nope, the game let me kill him. My Jax was too emotional to deal with him peacefully. Ha. I will be annoyed if the sequel ignores this eventuality.

Endgame stats:

A4AB35676EF0C158D2EF81E1C60AF2FC8FDD030C

These are the stats you need to max all skills in all categories other than the two locked classes. I even had plenty of money to spare. I did not abuse the infinite cash trick with energy potions, all I did was get Animal Trophy 3 fairly early and thoroughly explored the world. I also backtracked each chapter to areas where I knew Mutants spawned to harvest lots of free elex. It was still a balancing act to keep my cold level from getting to high, and I wasn't really able to reach this point until I had endgame-level gear and it didn't matter anyway.

I tried to focus on melee most of the game but by the end I was using ranged attacks all the time. The 'One with the weapon' skill was just too good to pass up. Made the whole endgame a complete breeze.

I was particularly disappointed with the dialogue skill checks. All the skill checks were basically in the beginning of the game, before I had any of the skills unlocked. I was looking forward to some super hard dialogue checks during the story quests that might lead to some alternate paths, but that was all Cold levels instead. So the dialogue check system is almost entirely worthless.

Morkar Left

Ok guys, fess up.

The combat system seems more complicated than in the Gothics. That stamina bar might have the potential to prevent things like beating the troll with a club in Gothic II. Which I only watched in a video, could not do it myself. But I can beat Orcs with puny weapons and puny strength on low levels.

Playing on difficult. I couldn't manage to beat it with the stick after three tries. Mostly because I had to run away after some strikes to climb a hill and it was faster / i was clumsy. Spiked it with arrows from the hill after that and killed it with one strike in melee. Difficulty seems to be on par with the older Gothics. Not sure about Ultra. I guess it would only end hitpoint sponges. Nice thing is that you can tweak different parts of the difficulty individually.

Jinn

Arcane
Playing on difficult. I couldn't manage to beat it with the stick after three tries. Mostly because I had to run away after some strikes to climb a hill and it was faster / i was clumsy. Spiked it with arrows from the hill after that and killed it with one strike in melee. Difficulty seems to be on par with the older Gothics. Not sure about Ultra. I guess it would only end hitpoint sponges. Nice thing is that you can tweak different parts of the difficulty individually.

I find setting it to Ultra, then dropping combat difficulty to "Difficult" seems like the right mix for that classic PB feeling. Later in the game, bump combat difficulty back up to Ultra to even it out again when you're feeling a little OP with your excellent equipment.

And yeah, got my ass beat down on by a bunch of "runt" enemies in the beginning. Felt really good.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ok guys, fess up.

I played the entire game on Ultra. The hell chicken took me 20 or thirty tries... Until I remembered I had a jetpack. I lured it off a cliff and enjoyed the sweet loot it was guarding.

I think you'll love the game.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter

Lol...Piranha need to sit down with THQ and fire their marketing dept.

"So it says here, it's a Rolepaying game. Ah! Like that quirky Borderlands planet? Gotcha!"

THQ have done a little miracle, they allowed PB to do what they want, and worked, maybe next time they can ask themto fix stuff, also no dlc no pre order stuff no lootboxes.

imweasel

Ok guys, fess up.

I played the entire game on Ultra. The hell chicken took me 20 or thirty tries... Until I remembered I had a jetpack. I lured it off a cliff and enjoyed the sweet loot it was guarding.

I think you'll love the game.
Run past runt biter. Grab adventurer's amulet (+5 armor). Put on amulet. Beat the shit out of runt biter. Profit.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
That's fairly appropriate, because it's already become clear to me that the thing to do in this game is to avoid and run away from everything and do quests until you level up and get strong enough to equip weapons that do more than 0.1 damage and armor that will absorb at least a decent amount of damage.

I did indeed play Gothic 1 and 2, so maybe they're the same. I skipped Gothic 3 and all the Risens because I heard they were shit. I honestly don't remember anymore. I do recall liking the dialogue better in those, or maybe I'm just not remembering properly.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Big Bang fight is unbeatable for melee builds. It kills instantly no matter the armour and resistance you have. Nice design.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Big Bang fight is unbeatable for melee builds. It kills instantly no matter the armour and resistance you have. Nice design.
You're retarded.

I only meleed it. Be more observant.

Edit: just in case, though, PB actually left a rather good energy weapon in the area that most people can use. It's good even with no skill investment.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
THQ have done a little miracle
Not downplaying that at all - it just doesn't do them any favors selling it that way. They need to be firm on what they're most known for and just own it - better long term.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom