Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you encourage a kid to become a real gamer?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Show him games and let him chose. Also try to make him enjoy real life and don't let him use the games for escapism until he is 20. Game should't be the core of any life.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Show him:
jazz-jackrabbit-2-screenshot.jpg

if he doesnt like hit take him behind the barn and shoot him.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Don't let him watch let's play videos on Youtube, that's a huge waste of time and you'll be surprised at how those low effort content can easily attract kids like flies.
I wish I could but I only see him like once every 6 months and his parents are lazy asses who just let him do whatever he wants on his ipad. Seeing him watching stupid try hard morons play video games worries me greatly.

11 years old daughter dictated how I played Divinity OS2
I'm still salty because my kid is better than me in XCOM 2 :argh:
I would be so proud. I wanna be like that! I don't think I see him enough to be able to steer him this way. I think I might do what Beastro suggests and get him a cheap PC with a bunch of stuff pre installed.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Don't let him watch let's play videos on Youtube, that's a huge waste of time and you'll be surprised at how those low effort content can easily attract kids like flies.
I wish I could but I only see him like once every 6 months and his parents are lazy asses who just let him do whatever he wants on his ipad. Seeing him watching stupid try hard morons play video games worries me greatly.

11 years old daughter dictated how I played Divinity OS2
I'm still salty because my kid is better than me in XCOM 2 :argh:
I would be so proud. I wanna be like that! I don't think I see him enough to be able to steer him this way. I think I might do what Beastro suggests and get him a cheap PC with a bunch of stuff pre installed.
If he gets hooked on the pc,let him reinstall his windows alone. I still remember when i messed my win 97 a few times. I was carrying it to the other end of town to a garage tech guy to reinstall the windows. After a the first few times i said "fuck it" and asked a friend to make me win cd. It was fun messing around and learning shit.

Unwanted

tmux

Unwanted
If he gets hooked on the pc,let him reinstall his windows alone. I still remember when i messed my win 97 a few times. I was carrying it to the other end of town to a garage tech guy to reinstall the windows. After a the first few times i said "fuck it" and asked a friend to make me win cd. It was fun messing around and learning shit.
Forcing children to use windows is child abuse. Please do not ever, under any circumstances do that. I know this is just a silly Codex joke, but this happens in real life and scars innocent children forever.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Forcing children to use windows is child abuse. Please do not ever, under any circumstances do that. I know this is just a silly Codex joke, but this happens in real life and scars innocent children forever.
Suck my dick,retard! I take it mouse and keyboard is far too hard for you.

Unwanted

tmux

Unwanted
Suck my dick,retard! I take it mouse and keyboard is far too hard for you.
Apparently it also gives people tourette's.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I see you have a nephew and you think you could him make him a better gamer.

I went through that with 3 nephews and 1 niece. Believe me it's hopeless. I played KSP with them, so they could learn something while playing, installed Jagged Alliance 2 so they would see games can be much more than just cheap sensory stimulation, and tried to lure them into slow realistic multiplayer games that we could play together and have lasting memories.
They now all play popamole games and MMOs. With the niece it's somewhat different because though she played pointless iPhone games I am a little bit hopeful because she now dies not play at all and instead reads books, real books.

But if kids are popamolers, and you only see them once in a while, there is not much you can do about that. They will always go the way of least resistance and play the games they like, just like someone with obesity will not turn a different person because you give him a fresh salad once in a month.

Burning Bridges

So this kid is my nephew and he is 10, he has an ipad and he plays games on it regularly. But they are all shitty tablet games. He likes flying games, and random crap shovelware. He is always asking his dad to buy him some gems or whatever for all the free to play crap. The only 'real' game I've ever heard him play is Minecraft, but he played it so much and maybe has started to grow out of it. When he visits me I set him up with Simpsons Hit & Run and some other stuff and he plays with a gamepad and LOVES it. But I run it from a PC and he has no PC in his house.

Anyway, I see him flying little kid Ipad games and he wishes it could do more, and I think to myself, shit.... imagine if he saw Arma3, DCS, or Microsoft Flight Sim, etc. It would blow his mind. He also plays Minecraft but I see games like FortressCraft which is so much bigger and better. He has never played an RPG, loves sport but never played a sports game. Etc.

So the pros of me trying to get him into real gaming are:
It will grow his mind. Tablet games make you dumb. Real games make you smarter. No debate.
He will be a lot less bored, and with generous me and Steam deals he will have millions of games to play instead of the same 5 shit ipad games.
He will be less of a spazzy noob.
Instead of wasting his time watching cunts like Pewdiepie on youtube, he will be busy playing games himself, and instead of being a drooling social media millennial retard who lives on Facebook and takes pictures of their food, he will be busy googling solutions to quests in some RPG or whatever. Far better.

However the cons of me getting him into gaming are:
He may become a long fingernailed socially retarded nerd loser like a lot of gamers.
His parents will hate me because PC gaming is the only way to go, and it isn't cheap. Especially when you are starting from scratch.
He might resist my teachings because using a keyboard/mouse and having so much to learn will be a chore for him when he is so used to pressing an icon on his ipad and he is flying a plane 5 seconds later.
He can browse games all day on iTunes without any danger, but as soon as he starts using Steam, he is open to lots of troll conversations that wouldn't be good for young eyes, and lots of games that wouldn't be suitable for him. 10 is a bit young for GTA5 etc. It wasn't for me, but he is sheltered.
He is outgoing, sporty, and good in school, and gaming is addictive and may fuck all that up.

So currently the cons outweigh the pros, which is why I have a 10 year old nephew who I never told all about my secret life as a hardcore gamer. There are things about serious gaming that I think would be so good for him, especially compared to what he does now (which is shit), but I'm not sure it would be a good thing long term. Maybe it would be better to let him discover his own hobbies? Or should a good uncle try to guide and help?

Tbh, why dont you go play soccer with him instead? In my experience that is way more fun and has much less of the disadvantages you list.

Also, there really are kids that will not stop pestering you with questions as soon as they see you do something new, anything new. And you will have no choice not to show them. But if a kid shows no real motivation, forget it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
He is kinda motivated because when I show him a new game on my PC he gets really into it. But today I learned he already has an Xbox One and doesn't play it. He just uses his ipad. I wish he would use the Xbox but I looked at a list of popular Xbox games and none of them are things he would enjoy. It is all stuff for dude bro teenagers. I want him to play Orcs Must Die, Plants vs Zombies, Legend of Grimrock, etc. He also loves flying games, but the only one I have is Arma3 which is amazing as a flight game but it needs a beastly PC. I also played DCS but that looks a bit too hardcore. He needs something like the great ones I used to play in the 90s. But modern looking.

Burning Bridges

Kerbal Space Program would always be one of the first games that come to mind.
It is silly and grotesque enough to appear a kids game, quite approachable and leaves open headroom to turn into anything you want, even a deadly serious game.
Hardware requirements are also quite low.

I once spent some time playing KSP with the son of a ex-girlfriend which was quite an intelligent boy actually (not like kids from my family lol) and we spent ~20 minutes trying to figure out how to get back in the capsule after a chaotic EVA. We had already used up most of our jetpack and were half a kilometer from the spaceship, when we began to figure out the controls. Although it was hopeless at that point I did not give up and eventually made it back into the ship. and even if he did not want to play himself again I think it was a great lection for him, that games can be very memorable achievements.

Now this is just subpar alting. It was more amusing when it was less transparent

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Idk what this thread's about but when I read "real gamer" I immediately thought of hordes of chinese kids being forced to play counter strike 14 hours per day from the age of 3 in hopes that they'll grow up to be MLG tournament winning gamers.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
A real gamer is anyone who scoffs at people that play Farmville, Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, etc. Also you gotta play at least 5 hours a week on average. Otherwise you are just a limp ass casual.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
His parents will hate me because PC gaming is the only way to go, and it isn't cheap.
Especially when you are starting from scratch.
Give him computer from the nearby trashcan and CRT display, install Heretic, Doom, Fallout and bunch of action games like Gods. :M
He can browse games all day on iTunes without any danger, but as soon as he starts using Steam, he is open to lots of troll conversations that wouldn't be good for young eyes, and lots of games that wouldn't be suitable for him. 10 is a bit young for GTA5 etc. It wasn't for me, but he is sheltered.
Don't connect computer to the Internet. Problem is solved.

:M

J1M

Arcane
Give him your old PC in a couple years. Doesn't have to be bleeding edge. The kid has 30 years of backlog.

Doktor Best

Arcane
They now all play popamole games and MMOs. With the niece it's somewhat different because though she played pointless iPhone games I am a little bit hopeful because she now dies

Ehhh...

I get it that you dont like popamole, but dont you think that this is a bit harsh?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom