Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Second dumbest encounter is the hybrid, the first being obviously the bomb. I had to fly high and kill it with a stolen legendary shotgun. Really balanced game design, some encounters are impossible if you are in melee but become ridiculously easy when you use a ranged weapon.
The shotgun was from Logan's tower. Fuck that guy, he turned against me and I killed him, I killed almost the entirety of Tavar, too bad some npcs remain immortal and are stunned instead of killed. The berserkers proved to be the biggest bros, despite some of their backwards views.
Their game design is improving, no more countless orcs or lizardmen to kill during the last chapter(but there were some Albs admittedly) but their bossfights remain garbage. They should consider removing them altogether, they just can't design boss fights.

Incantatar

Cipher
What exactly is the problem with dying and reloading

nu players not used to the concept
Either you love save scumming, haven't played any Gothic, are an unbelievable pro in this game or you're just a gigantic faggot. I reckon the latter.
G1 and G2 were both perfectly fine difficulty wise. I played both hundreds of hours without reloading. I can play Skyrim Requiem without reloading a long time. It's the most enganging play experience you can have in a rpg. I think it's bad design PB made death totally random in this game here.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I played both hundreds of hours without reloading.

im sure you did that upon playing gothic1 for the first time too

'i mastered one game after hundreds of hours and now keep dying in another game what is this bullshit bad design omg'

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't reload that often. In the beginning, yes, but that was because I took some chances. Then I learned which enemies to approach or not. You can also sprint and use your jetpack to get away. I didn't play on ultra, played on the difficulty below that. I'm saying this as someone who loves these kinds of games, but is not very good at them. About the final fight. I stunlocked the final boss. My first attempt, I went ranged, but got smacked down really hard. On my second attempt, I used my 2H sword to beat the crap out of him.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You have a jetpack and plenty of hills or elevations to take advantage of, u can sprint. There's an ability called sixth sense that reveals enemies on the radar, u have friend of the beast that helps to kill weaker critters one by one, several resistance skills, and a friggin' skull icon that serves as an obvious warning sign that creature is highly likely to beat both ur wimpy Jax and companion. Savescumming is because you're reckless, not because Elex expects you to do it every 5 minutes. Otherwise devs would have not bothered to add all those stuff mentioned before.

imweasel

G1 and G2 were both perfectly fine difficulty wise. I played both hundreds of hours without reloading.
I'd say you have learned absolutely nothing from playing G1 and G2. Don't fucking engage creatures that are too strong and you will live a long and healthy life in Elex too.

Elex

Arbiter
If you have Scattershot, you can stand right next to the enemy and hit him with all the arrows at the same time. I'm pretty sure bows have in fact the best sheer DPS in the entire game.

but if you have scatter shot and a 120 damage bow you can't have the +50 damage spell or stack the use of all the possibile drugs/stimpack

all the 3 faction have insane and powefull combo for nosense damage but infinte chain AOE knockback is always better.

Laser rifles are shitty anyways. 3-shot burst and full-auto modes have damage penalties that make them wholly inferior to single shot mode. Really disappointing.
Not really. They are excellent against bots and squishy enemies with low armor. Bots also drop tons of energy cells for laser rifles, so you will never have to buy any ammo.

On "Difficult" difficulty, with a Laser Rifle III, it takes 35 shots to kill a mountain troll with single shots [...] Plasma Rifle III on the other hand needs 29 shots, Redeemer with a medium red gem needs 24.
Um, that really isn't a very big difference. Even more so seeing that you will have a shit ton of energy cells by late game.

(BTW, Trolls and Cyclopses are easiest to take down with melee weapons. The game doesn't show you any numbers, but I believe that melee weapons have high armor penetration.)
melee weapon have bonus from combo meter.

Elex

Arbiter
I found it especially annoying if you compare shotguns with laser weapons.
There was no argument in staying with the shotgun as outlaw as every enemy in this game drops energy cells while nobody does drop shells.
At one point i had 4000 energy cells without ever buying any.
But with those stupid shotgun shells you can only buy 20 at a time!:argh:
also it's the only shotgun in all the history of videogame that have the same range of other rifle and hit a single target.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Ok just finished. Yeah, pretty damn good overall. Exploration is only marred slightly towards the end, as you notice areas that are clearly catered for faction specific interaction. End revelation is satisfying (a first for PB!) looking forward to the sequel/s :salute:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
I hate casual rpgs as much as the next codexer but the save scumminess expected in this game is through the roof. That really fucks with my immersiun. Anyone played early and midgame and didn't reload constantly?

I know this has already been rebutted hard, but dying =/= save scumming. Dying is how RPGs (or many other genres) teach you to play. Save scumming is when you get a bad conversation outcome and then boot up your last save to get a different response rather than letting the consequences play out. But dying and automatically reloading to your last save is a core mechanic in nearly every cRPG ever made.

What you’re really saying is that you die too often—fair enough. That means it’s the difficulty that’s breaking your immersion. In which case, turn down the difficulty or learn from your many deaths and try a different play style. What’s your level, your skills, your equipment? Do you keep going into the same lethal fights with the same stats and the same gear? Maybe don’t do that.

I died a lot early game, then mastered the art of running away from enemies and got a companion, which made things less punishing. Died less mid game, and often when I did it was a result of overconfidence or sheer stupidity. Late game you have to be very lazy and careless to die with any frequency.

Incantatar

Cipher
G1 and G2 were both perfectly fine difficulty wise. I played both hundreds of hours without reloading.
I'd say you have learned absolutely nothing from playing G1 and G2. Don't fucking engage creatures that are too strong and you will live a long and healthy life in Elex too.
If you tell me playing this game with limited save scumming is feasible, I call you an idiot. Might be that I'm the idiot here, my assumption is falsifiable.

Incantatar

Cipher
I hate casual rpgs as much as the next codexer but the save scumminess expected in this game is through the roof. That really fucks with my immersiun. Anyone played early and midgame and didn't reload constantly?

I know this has already been rebutted hard, but dying =/= save scumming. Dying is how RPGs (or many other genres) teach you to play. Save scumming is when you get a bad conversation outcome and then boot up your last save to get a different response rather than letting the consequences play out. But dying and automatically reloading to your last save is a core mechanic in nearly every cRPG ever made.

What you’re really saying is that you die too often—fair enough. That means it’s the difficulty that’s breaking your immersion. In which case, turn down the difficulty or learn from your many deaths and try a different play style. What’s your level, your skills, your equipment? Do you keep going into the same lethal fights with the same stats and the same gear? Maybe don’t do that.

I died a lot early game, then mastered the art of running away from enemies and got a companion, which made things less punishing. Died less mid game, and often when I did it was a result of overconfidence or sheer stupidity. Late game you have to be very lazy and careless to die with any frequency.
That's simply wrong and shows you don't know many rpgs. What you say can be part of rpgs and if it's part it's great when it makes sense like in PST. In others dying is the end. And still others don't force it but encourage playing a single life. It is hard but feasible in the Gothics and I measure Elex on them. You don't have to, it's just my sentiment.

You say I'm just too bad at playing. Perhaps that's true but I didn't have the same feeling of throwaway lives in any other open world RPGs I played. Fucking Caves of Qud feels less random to me.

Elex

Arbiter
someone that have played the game and reached level 25+ can restart the game and do the same stuff without random deaths and in half the time.

once you learn the basics it become extremely easy to optimize a build and travel/exploration (like any pb games)

so yes is possible to avoid spamming F5 F9 butis impossible in the first playthroug

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
That's simply wrong and shows you don't know many rpgs. What you say can be part of rpgs and if it's part it's great when it makes sense like in PST. In others dying is the end. And still others don't force it but encourage playing a single life. It is hard but feasible in the Gothics and I measure Elex on them. You don't have to, it's just my sentiment.

You say I'm just too bad at playing. Perhaps that's true but I didn't have the same feeling of throwaway lives in any other open world RPGs I played. Fucking Caves of Qud feels less random to me

I should’ve said other than roguelikes but that’s beside the point.

Elex is very similar to Gothic in terms of difficulty, it’s just that Gothic had a much smaller map and thus there were fewer opportunities to get yourself killed. Plus, the enemies were more segregated by strength in Gothic.

I’m not saying you’re bad at Elex, but if you keep getting killed to a frustrating degree then I would argue you aren’t learning from the experience. Sick of getting killed and reloading in the early to mid game? Stop fighting things then! There are almost no mandatory fights in the early to mid game (technically I don’t think you NEED to kill anything until the bomb/murderbot from the fort and you can put that off for a long time). As others have pointed out, it’s not that hard to evade and escape from monsters when traveling between settlements. Rather than trying to beat the same fights you keep losing over and over again, why not level up by doing more non combat quests? By the time you exhaust them in Goliet, the Domed City, the Fort and the Hort, you’ll have enough attribute points and enough money to get some decent equipment, which makes the fights much much easier (this is how I played Gothic, too, so it feels very familiar).

Or you could keep punching yourself in the face. Totally your call!

Shadenuat

Arcane
I don't remember Gothic spawning enemies out of the earth, just spawning enemies from list, or having many strong ranged enemies (or just all enemies having ranged attacks with DoTs sometimes).

And yet at the same time, abundance and power of healing items makes Elex very trivial often.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom