Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

newtmonkey

Arcane
I haven't played Grimoire enough to get annoyed with any of this, so who knows, maybe it will slowly drive me nuts that the game does not provide enough information on stats and skills. However, I think that people are expecting way way more from the manual (if it ever comes) that they should.

Very few classic (or even modern) CRPGs explain very much of anything in their manuals. For example, I've got the Wizardry 7 manual in front of me, and this is all it has to say about the Strength stat: "Affects any maneuver which requires physical strength. Everything from hurting an opponent to forcing a door off its hinges requires strength. Strength also affects carrying capacity and stamina."

Of course, you could argue that the classics should have gone into more detail also, but I feel that people are criticizing Grimoire for something that 99% of all RPGs are guilty of. No game manual could possibly go into the kind of detail that would satisfy the reviewer quoted above for instance. There is not a game out there (that hasn't been reverse engineered and documented) that will provide that kind of detail to players.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
"Affects any maneuver which requires physical strength. Everything from hurting an opponent to forcing a door off its hinges requires strength. Strength also affects carrying capacity and stamina."

What is not clear about that ? It tells you EXACTLY what STR modifys or helps.

Zep--

newtmonkey

Arcane
It is perfectly clear, but I quoted that because the reviewer quoted above wants detailed explanations of how stats affect combat, etc., and even the Wiz 7 manual barely goes into any detail at all.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Attributes

1000px-Hyp2.jpg

1000px-Hyp3.jpg

Primary Attributes
  • INT: Intelligence
Increases skillup chance on SUCCESS
  • WIS: Wisdom
Increases skillup chance on FAILURE
  • WIL: Willpower
Resistance against mind attacks, maybe some attack bonuses?
  • STR: Strength
The amount of damage dealt in attacks.

Helps with armor penetration (together with AGI).

Determines success to force open doors.
  • CON: Constitution
Carrying capacity for equipped armor and weapons (encumberance).

How well a character deals with afflictions (paralysis, disease, system attacks, etc.)

Determines the amount of spell points needed to restore the character's HP and vitality.
  • SPE: Speed
Who attacks first and additional attacks per round.
  • AGI: Agility
Dexterity and evasion of attacks.

Helps with armor penetration (together with STR).
  • FEL: Fellowship
Equivalent to charisma, important for recruiting and talking to NPC's,

May have an influence on the effectiveness of Music instruments.
  • DEV: Devotion
Determines the rate at which skills are improved.

Influences the amount of mana points you get on levelup (this is also influenced by class).
  • MET: Metabolism
Determines how quickly HP, mana and vitality are regenerated (these are also influenced by race).

Influences recovery from various conditions.
  • DES: Destiny
Increases chance to save from death in fights, "Destiny intervened". On each success, one point of DES is removed, similar to the "9 lives of a cat". Destiny has a 3% success rate with 10 points and up to 60% success rate at 100 points.

Secondary Attributes
  • HP: Hit points
Affected by class on levelup.

How much damage a character can take.
  • MAG: Mana
Affected by class on levelup.

Used to cast spells.
  • VIT: Vitality
Functions like endurace/fatigue, as your vitality lowers during a fight you will fail to do as much damage and will not break through armor or fail to hit (no penetration).
  • FOO: Food
Not used atm, cleve is currently designing a mechanic for the future.

Attribute Advice

For fighters: SPD/STR/AGI are the most important ones. DEV and/or INT/WIS for more skill points. CON and MET shouldn't be too low. DES is optional.

For spellcasters: SPD is most important. DEV and INT/WIS for more skill points. CON and MET shouldn't be too low. DES is optional.

Music instruments may be relying on FEL, but currently they are overpowered anyway. The diplomat in the party also needs FEL.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
It is perfectly clear, but I quoted that because the reviewer quoted above wants detailed explanations of how stats affect combat, etc., and even the Wiz 7 manual barely goes into any detail at all.

Conversely, what does the Grimoire manual say about ANY Stat?

Go read it...I'll wait here.

Zep--

newtmonkey

Arcane
There is no Grimoire manual, so don't wait too long.

My point is, a lack of explanation does not ruin the game for me, though it might for you.

Major Seven

Educated
Patron
Lady Error said:
So, why should I EVER play Grimoire when Wiz7 (which is btw. not my favourite Wizardry game) does everything better (since 1992)?!

I'm not a hater nor a fanboy, also I don't care about the whole drama around this game. I simply like "good" turn based blobbers ^^

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So, why should I EVER play Grimoire when Wiz7 (which is btw. not my favourite Wizardry game) does everything better (since 1992)?!

It doesn't. Some things Wiz7 does better, other things are better in Grimoire. And if you like good turn-based blobbers, then I have no idea why you would even ask for reasons to play Grimoire.

Dorateen

Arcane
As Golden Era Games are putting the final touches on the Grimoire User Guide, I hope they will consider to include a forward reminiscent of the Might & Magic VI manual complete with the title:

Discouraging the Unworthy

hal900x

Augur
Thanks for linking me to the Wiki that just copy/pastes the in-game descriptions of skills. I definitely did not read that already, and it is definitely helpful to read the in-game descriptions in HTML format.
mondblut said:
That skill is specifically highlighted in pink, dummy.

Hrrrm yes, but I could swear some of the respective pink skills for given classes were not primary for that class. I will have to look again for examples. You da (autistic, but very helpful) man as always.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
FFS, read the Wizardry 7 manual and then show me where any of those questions were answered. People figured out most of it by playing the game and later some autists found the actual numbers in the code and wrote it down.

The issue is that Grimoire's system is several times more complicated than Wiz7's system, and Grimoire is more poorly balanced, from what I know about both games.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Thanks for linking me to the Wiki that just copy/pastes the in-game descriptions of skills. I definitely did not read that already, and it is definitely helpful to read the in-game descriptions in HTML format.

Attributes are not skills. And if Cleve already added in-game descriptions for attributes, then what exactly are you whining about?

hal900x

Augur

Attributes are not skills. And if Cleve already added in-game descriptions for attributes, then what exactly are you whining about?
No, Attributes are not skills. And since I asked about Skills and not Attributes, I'm not sure what you are on about. Maybe you were replying to the wrong poster?

Anyway, how does one go about using the Unholy symbol in combat?

What's the status of crafting? Is it pointless to run a Metalsmith? Just doing some cursory searching, seems this game is very much unfinished, which fills me with hatred and also some self-relfective humor. Of course it isn't. Why would I not think the decades of "micro bugs" were anything but alcoholism/depression/full time job/laziness/apathy/trolling or God knows what.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Why would I not think the decades of "micro bugs" were anything but alcoholism/depression/full time job/laziness/apathy/trolling or God knows what.

If you hate the game so much, don't play it. As to the rest of your whining:

What's the status of crafting? Is it pointless to run a Metalsmith?

http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Crafting

Crafting is pretty much the only major thing (other than the manual) that is still unfinished. And go ahead and program a bigger version of Wizardry 7 - let's see how long it takes you.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've been super busy with school lately and I'll likely be super busy until summer.

But I may give this a shot over christmas break.

How's the manual coming along?

Assuming the answer to the first question is "It's Out": Whats the word on physical rewards?

hal900x

Augur
Why would I not think the decades of "micro bugs" were anything but alcoholism/depression/full time job/laziness/apathy/trolling or God knows what.

If you hate the game so much, don't play it. As to the rest of your whining:

What's the status of crafting? Is it pointless to run a Metalsmith?

http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Crafting

Crafting is pretty much the only major thing (other than the manual) that is still unfinished. And go ahead and program a bigger version of Wizardry 7 - let's see how long it takes you.

Fanboyism only harms games. It can never do any good whatsoever. So, two major things and how many minor things? I can't even split or combine a stack of mundane items. I watched this game "progress" for 10 years, and I was late to the party by a decade. I paid nearly a "AAA" price for it. The fact that it "was just one guy" is utterly irrelevant at that price. Any defense is irrelevant when you buy an incomplete product at full price.

Keeping dev's feet to the fire is always the best option, just like with politicians. Your "whining" is my criticism. Valid criticism as a paying customer. If you are going to jump to the defense of a company based on feels, can I sell you my new mobile phone? It's only 100 bucks. It has no ports, can only dial in 75% of area codes, has a few thousand dead pixels and deafening static from time to time, but I worked really hard on it for 20 years. So I'll expect you to vocally defend me from criticism and post glowing reviews.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom