Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Empyrion: Galactic Survival

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Empyrion features space & planetary exploration, building & construction, mining & resource gathering, survival, crafting, as well as space & land combats. Using the Unity 3D engine, Empyrion uniquely combines elements from space simulations, construction games, survival games and ego-shooters. The game is currently under development by Eleon Game Studios.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
I tried it a bit, it's almost what no man sky will offer but earlier and has the merits to be available already . Poor graphics, a bit clunky and crafting is too slow for my tastes, far from finished, but it offers already a lot and as much customization you want for your vehicules and bases.Its a lot more survival oriented than usual as you can fail , use too much supplies craft the wrong things and you will die . The game is quite unforgiving, you are not alone on the planet and they have rocket launchers, was surprised by it and lost a ground vessel. That mean walking back to base and dieing by lack of oxygen.
A bit more challenging than other similar sandbox games, i like it.

Morkar Left

Space Engineers clone with less sophisticated crafting (because it's pre-alpha) but better gameplay. You have a small solar system to explore atm with alien wildlife and alien robots who attack you. Survival includes foodmanagement and oxygen management as well whic is really nice.
I'm very curious how far it will evolve. According to their last poll they will put in rpg level ups as well.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Empyrion can be played for free this weekend. I just started and I haven't played before so I can't say anything about the gameplay, but the graphics are nice at least:

It's also 40% off on steam untill the 16th.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
-50% on steam for 10$ early access reviews are 'what no man's sky should have been'

Morkar Left

You can do that. It's only a solar system now and you have to travel to other planets to get specific ressources but no need to build a new base on every planet. Freedom of choice.

Astral Rag

Arcane
YXejAo0.jpg

vean

Scholar
Unfortunately, you're missing a lot of great games if you dismiss Unity.

vean

Scholar
List please.
Uh, OK

Rochard
Endless Space
Teslagrad
Broforce
Endless Legend
Mini Metro
Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty!
Cities: Skylines
Dex
Dropsy
Grow Home
Her Story
Kerbal Space Program (!)
Pillars of Eternity
TIS-100 (!)
Volume
Superhot

Angthoron

Arcane
List please.
Uh, OK

Rochard
Endless Space
Teslagrad
Broforce
Endless Legend
Mini Metro
Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty!
Cities: Skylines
Dex
Dropsy
Grow Home
Her Story
Kerbal Space Program (!)
Pillars of Eternity
TIS-100 (!)
Volume
Superhot

I'd personally say that less than a half of those are actually great games, but I suppose that at least most are decent. Thanks. Forgot EL was on Unity.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Too bad meleeing is not in yet. Found bullet-keeping to be a real drag.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Bought this today, plan to play SP (especially since it seems that SP players aren't penalized to grind materials for an eternity).

I've probably spent more time on this than a number of modern 'complete' games combined. Nothing feels more satisfying than *finally* being able to take out one of the alien drop ships that appear every time you find somewhere really good to scavenge.

Aside from hearing the hovercraft you've loaded down with lasers, mini-guns and rockets clear out anything that moves for about a mile and a half while you're below ground mining. There is no better companion you can rely on to keep you safe.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So what is there to do after you are "done" surviving?
Building an intergalactic empire?
Razing emerging civilizations?
Become the god of some archaic society?
Or just crashland on another planet and restart again?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There's quite a lot to do in Empyrion these days. The stuff in the OP is fairly outdated.

The two main draws are 1.) building hover vessels, small vessels, capital vessels, and bases completely from scratch, limited only by your imagination and the potential difficulty of torturing shaped blocks into a grid to fit your vision; and 2.) exploring the now fairly expansive and hand-designed universe (14 now very distinct planets, 7 moons, and the 14 "space playfields" these microplanets inhabit) in search of rare raw material deposits, as well as both friendly and hostile alien Points of Interest (PoIs) offering rare devices and equipment as rewards. There are crashed ships, abandoned facilities, space stations, spaceports, communications centers, trading stations and centers, residential centers, native villages to ethnically cleanse, and many more. Some of the more extensive PoIs are maze-like and full of nasties, and there's a distinct DOOMQuake feeling to clearing them out.

There are fairly sophisticated building tools available, such as symmetry planes and part placement cloning, a full-featured resizable 3D selection box for selecting groups of blocks to be rotated, moved, cut or copied, pasted elsewhere, and a few more useful features.

Just a glance at the Workshop is a good showcase of the cool stuff you can build, provided you have some talent that is. https://steamcommunity.com/app/383120/workshop/

1d842410d6.png

a2aa656a3b.png

892d69037a.png
Actual crafting, survival, and combat aspects have been expanded a fair bit. Most importantly, there are now radiation, temperature, and vacuum hazards, variable gravity that affects your jumping/jetpack physics and fall damage as well as the structural integrity of buildings (you can use fewer pillars to hold up the same platform on a planet with 0.5g compared to one with 0.84g, for example). There are O2 pressurization mechanics for both bases and ships, and plants now require not only grow lights but also ventilation to maintain a certain temperature range in most areas; they can be grown outdoors on appropriate planets, but won't grow at night and can freeze to death. There are three tiers of player armor now, and slots to fit in modules to boost many stats such as armor, O2 tank storage, jetpack usage, general mobility, temperature and radiation resistance, and an EVA module that's all but mandatory for spacewalking. Handheld weapons have been rebalanced so that more than two of them are useful and interesting.

There's also minor player avatar customization now, so of course I made my character look like a sex offender and/or 8th-grade science teacher.

It's most fun with a friend or two. I run my own dedicated server in Europe since I have friends from Ireland, Romania, and who the fuck knows where else.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
There's the chainsaw, although that uses biofuel.

This is a game with handheld laser rifles and plasma cannons, so I feel it can be forgiven for not having an extensive selection of melee weapons. An assault rifle or pulse rifle and 1k ammo in an inventory slot lasts a long, long time, so personally I'm not bothered by it.

I enjoy having to bring a selection of weapons to assault PoIs: Rocket launchers or plasma cannons to take out base turrets on foot, shotguns or explosives to break through doors, explosives, rockets, and plasma to help blast through select walls, sniper rifles for precision distance shooting, and assault rifles, pulse rifles, laser pistols, or laser rifles for close-in fighting. Rapid-firing the laser pistol works great in tight corridors, doesn't have quite the burst damage output of the pulse rifle but its sustained damage is possibly the highest in the game and it goes the longest between reloads. The minigun might be better for sustained, not sure.

One time, I raked a PoI with my light fighter, took out the turrets, then shot up the front entrance, nosed the ship right into the smoking hole, and blew their generator. I don't think the enemies even managed to spawn from the spawners.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
But yeah, Unity is trash. Fortunately my system blazes like the sun and not even Unity can fuck the experience up too badly, but I do get brief split-second pauses every 8-15 seconds. It's a known issue with Unity. (Querying a search engine for "Unity sucks" brings up some informative general results.)

Why does this happen? Essentially, because I play on a 144Hz monitor at 110+ FPS. If I locked my FPS at 50, the hiccups would go away. Other than that I get 110+ FPS even when I'm at my massive base stuffed with parked vehicles.

That's right: Unity will even punish you if your computer is too good for it to fuck up some other way.

That's what you get when developers lack the programming chops (or time/money, motivation, etc.; in my view it's mainly lack of expertise, though) to write their own damned engine. Even a bunch of the Kickstarter RPGs and the indubitably prestigious Kerbal Space Program use Unity. Fortunately, competent developers can usually patch up its most glaring flaws ad hoc.

Runciter

Augur
How does this game compare to Space Engineers? I was put off by early Empyrion videos but Space Engineers has been stagnant for a long while now.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The ship physics (from construction mechanics to in-flight mechanics) are significantly simpler in Empyrion, but they still do exist and they work well and smoothly for what they are. Nowadays there is O2 pressurization, artificial gravity generation, repair bays and small-vessel docking, you can install levers to extend and retract loading and boarding ramps (or lock/unlock and open/close doors, etc.), motion sensors to turn lights off and on or activate interior sentry autoturrets, trap doors to catch boarders or do other things, and friends can control mounted turrets or even repair the inside of the ship as it's moving, although at that point you're probably in big trouble. CVs can actually mine now with mining beam turrets, and they even have a multitool turret for repairing your friends' ships on the fly or ripping up salvage.

They even just recently added ship crew NPCs, though for now they're strictly decorative.

There's a whole lot more to do in Empyrion now besides make and use vehicles. Space is much better realized, featuring space stations, space drones, asteroid fields, and enemy ships, although aside from building your own shipyard/space base it's still mainly just a highway to get from one planet to another. The planets are now truly very distinct, from landscape to the ambient noises to the flora and fauna. Threatening enemy presences vary greatly. It's much more interesting than when

It's worth a try. Here's a little Xenosteel corvette that I just finished building yesterday (not easy adding fine detail at this resolution of CVs; I think I did okay):

xg2BOZk.png

n9gRFUv.png

z8nAi3A.png

fKIcRst.png

yehDosJ.png

mog3QFM.png

Morkar Left

Alpha 12 experimental is out!

Which means it has an OPEN GALAXY to explore!

Hello Galactic Survivalists!

Today we are kicking off the first testing phase of the Alpha 12 Experimental! :)

alpha-12-experimental-phase-i-jpg.73400

Main feature additions:
  1. The Galaxy
  2. Active detection system
  3. Registry journeybook
  4. Interactive dialogues
  5. Dynamic key-token generation
  6. Space Base Defense
  7. Player-build teleporter system
  8. Full config files exposition
Besides those major topics, we added several new NPC Factions, a slew of technical and feature additions, new crafting materials like Titanium, updated POIs, Model and a lot more.

Have a look at the full changelog below.

alpha-12-experimental-phase-i-space-png.73409

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom