Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sentinel

Arcane
it's a smearing campaign led by EA in order to lower CDPR stock prices so they can have easier access to the company and force a hostile take over.

:hearnoevil:

Paul_cz

Arcane
it's a smearing campaign led by EA in order to lower CDPR stock prices so they can have easier access to the company and force a hostile take over.

Conspiracy theoooory!

...not that it would surprise me. But afaik cdp did some changes to their structure recently to make any kind of hostile takeover unfeasible.

Paul_cz

Arcane

Conspiracy theoooory!

...not that it would surprise me. But afaik cdp did some changes to their structure recently to make any kind of hostile takeover unfeasible.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Except for getting revenge. :roll:

So easy and convenient to blame it all on REVENGE!

The things presented by the sources in the video are in conjunction with real life events, other reviews on glassdoor and the hard fact that the things are so "peachy" there that there is an insane worker rotation.
The scandal grew slowly and not suddenly, the source didn't appeared out of nowhere one day to say shitty things despite stellar reviews about CD Projekt. And I bet if someone would dig deeper, would find others to confirm all that was said.

Even if half the things are true about the toxic environment there, anybody sane would want to blow the whistle on those fuckers but that wouldn't make the events any less true or real.

And the worst part is not the long hours (hell, Tim Cain literally slept at the office at the end of Fallout's production) but the clique that gravitates around certain inflated egos in key positions. There is nothing worse than that in a working environment but the 12 years old that comment around here wouldn't know anything about that.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Except for getting revenge. :roll:

So easy and convenient to blame it all on REVENGE!

The things presented by the sources in the video are in conjunction with real life events, other reviews on glassdoor and the hard fact that the things are so "peachy" there that there is an insane worker rotation.
The scandal grew slowly and not suddenly, the source didn't appeared out of nowhere one day to say shitty things despite stellar reviews about CD Projekt. And I bet if someone would dig deeper, would find others to confirm all that was said.

Even if half the things are true about the toxic environment there, anybody sane would want to blow the whistle on those fuckers but that wouldn't make the events any less true or real.

And the worst part is not the long hours (hell, Tim Cain literally slept at the office at the end of Fallout's production) but the clique that gravitates around certain inflated egos in key positions. There is nothing worse than that in a working environment but the 12 years old that comment around here wouldn't know anything about that.
All I read is a lot of inane conjecture.
You know, back in the time before total moral relativism took over and declared that all journalists are liars and hack frauds with an agenda it was their job to investigate stuff like this, check the credibility of the sources, interview a ton of people, visit the studios, maybe even find someone who agrees to work there "undercover" for them. So they could put all this into perspective and find out where these allegations are coming from, how they are motivated and how much of it is true.
But today every retard with a youtube channel qualifies as a news source. :lol:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
https://www.pb.pl/cyberpunk-liczy-kamienie-milowe-898363

Key quotes:

"we reached a milestone, thus we are even more calm right now"

"the engine is there, and it's working"

"Right now arround 300 people work on the game. Aside of that, arround 100 people work on Gwent." [so overall they have arround 400 employees??]

Propably the most important: "Right now we have the biggest and the best programming talent that we ever had in our history"

"We pay the national average, and sometimes even higher salaries plus bonuses. We share the profit with our employees, on every single level. The cumulated amount of bonuses was actually higher than the cumulated actual salaries. Employee rotation is on a very rational level"

"Sometimes the level of discussion goes so low, it makes no sense to comment on that"

05onfire1_xp-master768-v2.jpg

Q: "Puls Biznesu": How are the works on "Cyberpunk 2077" going?

A: Adam Kiciński: We just closed an important stage of production. We had a lot of equipment left in this room, including a big screen, which proves the level of production. We are happy with the results.

Q: Are there any threats to the production?

A: There have been no recent problems that could affect production. On the contrary, we have a milestone behind us

Q: Work on the game engine has been completed?

A: The engine is up and running. Of course it will be further developed. At each of our games we had to develop technology very well and this time it was the same. It must be appropriate for our needs with the specific title and the world we create and match the capabilities of the devices available on the market. Therefore, the engine needs constant updating - its modifications usually take place to a very late stage.

Q: Release date?

A: You have to wait patiently for the official announcement. We will not announce the date of this year or next - I will not answer. Commenting on the speculation market would be unfavorable for us. The most important thing is to build the most interesting players, which will translate into sales.

Q: What will be the cost of the game?

A: From the beginning we assumed that it was significantly bigger than "The Witcher 3", whose budget amounted to just over PLN 300 million. Approximately half of them were marketing expenditures, most of which were not seen as costs but reduced revenues from distributors. Direct costs of production exceeded 90 million PLN. "Cyberpunk 2077" will be more expensive, but also more ambitious and, as we believe, will have significantly greater sales potential.

Q: How many people are involved in production?

A: Over 300 people work on the game. It's more than the peak of The Witcher 3, but there will be a lot more in the future. About 100 people work on Gwent. At present we have the largest and best team of programmers in our history.

Q: Is the personnel policy of CD Projekt the same as other companies in the industry?

A: Our goal is to make the best games in the world. The competition is sharp - not only do we have an appetite for a gold medal. In this business is like in sports. The prize, apart from financial gratification, is pride. Our people, in spite of their hardship, may say that one of the best games in the world is their work. We do not know the prescription for a perfectly planned and quiet production process, which would result in an outstanding game. Multiple iterations are an integral part of this process.

Q: Has the rapid development of the company in recent years had a negative impact on the team?

A: This is an additional organizational challenge, but we have a natural continuity of team. We try to provide the best possible working conditions, because in our industry we have an employee market. We pay Polish market rates or even slightly higher, and to this large bonuses. We have a permanent profit sharing program with employees at every level. The average of the team bonuses paid in the past three years was higher than the total value of basic salaries. Rotation in the company is on a rational level.

Q: How will you respond to the allegations that the company, in the face of information that has surfaced on the Internet, has insufficiently communicated and has not calmed down the mood on the stock market?

A: We have our own style of communication and it does not fit in the concept of "hiding your head in the sand". We want to do business so as not to be ashamed. When a problem arises, we always try to talk about it. After the first video material unfavorable for us, we published an extensive commentary by Adam Badowski, the head of the studio, and Marcin Iwiński, the co-founder and member of the board. At times, however, the level of discussion goes so low that it makes no sense to comment.

Q: Star on bumps...

A: CD Projekt is the largest video game company on the GPW (Giełda Papierów Wartościowych - stock Exchange) and the undisputable leader of the main floor. Its capitalization peaked at over 12 billions PLN recently it reached 10.2 billions PLN. According to analysts, CD Projekt is a very strong candidate for WIG20 - index of the largest and most liquid companies. The creators of the three parts of the The Witcher game have long been favorites to investors and analysts, who are most interested in buying shares in the company. This week the good pass has been broken - for two days the CD project rate fell by about 20%. The sale, at times panic, triggered unofficial information from former company employees that the game "Cyberpunk 2077" is still very early in production, the authors have engine problems, and the release even in 2020 is unrealistic. There were also unfavorable comments on the working conditions in the CD Projekt. The bad news was conveyed to the YongYea youtuber, and then wrote about them. Eurogamer.pl and ppe.pl.

damage control in full swing.

Last edited:

Keppo

Arbiter
Damage control? Don't think so because there is no damage done. The stock is a bit lower, but that doesnt matter long-term. Two years from now after Cyberpunk release their stock will be 2x or 3x bigger. He done this interview to calm down investors and that's all (and it worked), this interview is not aimed at gamers. And u can be sure that he is not bullshitting because he just cant lie to investors for obvious reasons.

For them situation like this is even better, because the expectations from gamers for CP2077 are lower right now.
Also, i believe more him that anonimous cowards which are butthurt over Adam Badowski, or CDPR style of making games. U have corporate management style with strict rules where management are just bunch of guys with suits who are maybe educated and know better how to manage but have no idea how to make good video games, or just doesnt care about "quality" aspect or production values. Or u have open and creative development with many iterations, changes, and brainstorm... When the top guy in the studio like Badowski is actually not qualified manager, but a bit awkward developer and nerd who actually cares about quality and content in his games, he is working there since Witcher 1. Personally i dont think that u can make great games with corporate structure and strict management.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
There's nothing new there. They've mentioned before that Cyberpunk will have something similiar to what Rockstar did with GTA V. Now we will just have to wait and see what is the CD Projekt way of doing it. I just hope that they will still focus on making great additional SP content contrary to what Rockstar did. Like it would be tempting to just have this huge seamingles world and then release small hooks for online players to keep people playing it for a long time.

CD Projekt have said it before that no matter how many rewards TW3 won it didn't really set any records regarding to unit sales. Cyberpunk will be a huge investment and I feel they just see it in the way that without a major online component the game will not rise to the levels of what it could do (in terms of profit)

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
There's nothing new there. They've mentioned before that Cyberpunk will have something similiar to what Rockstar did with GTA V. Now we will just have to wait and see what is the CD Projekt way of doing it. I just hope that they will still focus on making great additional SP content contrary to what Rockstar did. Like it would be tempting to just have this huge seamingles world and then release small hooks for online players to keep people playing it for a long time.

CD Projekt have said it before that no matter how many rewards TW3 won it didn't really set any records regarding to unit sales. Cyberpunk will be a huge investment and I feel they just see it in the way that without a major online component the game will not rise to the levels of what it could do (in terms of profit)
Hope you're right. They are one of the only AAA developers that have maintained an admirable code of ethics, left a nice example for European developers - they also finally gave Poland something to brag about besides Borscht.

RepHope

Savant
WTF they are making with 100 people for GWENT?
Singleplayer campaigns. They want to have one for every faction, and each substantial, long, with its own branching story.
They're fucking crazy. They should be focusing on getting Cyberpunk out. What if it bombs? They're way too damn big to not be severely impacted by that.

I know they've got a history of surviving by the skin of their teeth but that's a really dumbass way to do things. Sooner or later their luck will run out.

Danikas

Arcane
Singleplayer campaigns. They want to have one for every faction, and each substantial, long, with its own branching story.
They're fucking crazy. They should be focusing on getting Cyberpunk out. What if it bombs? They're way too damn big to not be severely impacted by that.

I know they've got a history of surviving by the skin of their teeth but that's a really dumbass way to do things. Sooner or later their luck will run out.
Well I guess Gwent will start bringing nice money when properly released as I recall its making money even in beta so they have another Ip thats making money right now and GOG.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member

Well I guess Gwent will start bringing nice money when properly released as I recall its making money even in beta so they have another Ip thats making money right now and GOG.
Umm, how are they making cash in beta?

Paul_cz

Arcane

They are making Gwent and its campaigns precisely so that they have a backup in case Cyberpunk doesn't pan out. Card games are huge and Gwent has huge potential to be one of the biggest most earning ones, so it is actually smart as hell from them to invest into it. And by making story campaigns they will attract to it even people who do not give a shit about card games, like me. As long as the campaigns are good, that is.

And there is no big "luck" involved in their success. They made good games and managed to market them very well. Hence success. Witcher 3 made so much profit that right now they have no loans and hundreds of millions in cash reserves. They can afford to make Cyberpunk for the next 5 years without running out of money.

Danikas

Arcane

They are making Gwent and its campaigns precisely so that they have a backup in case Cyberpunk doesn't pan out. Card games are huge and Gwent has huge potential to be one of the biggest most earning ones, so it is actually smart as hell from them to invest into it. And by making story campaigns they will attract to it even people who do not give a shit about card games, like me. As long as the campaigns are good, that is.
Same for me im not interested in daily play against people but give me a good story campaign with new soundtrack and characters and I will buy it. Also Gwent has great artstyle in my opinion, none of that blizzard juvenile shit in sight.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
I was also talking about Gwent, apparently to myself. What's a tcg?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom