Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game introduced you to the genre?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Phantasy Star

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Out of the Shadows for the ZX Spectrum.

ootsstart.PNG

Count Grishnak

Literate
Diablo II demo which I borrowed from a school friend. Then Oblivion came out and blew my fucking mind (I was 8-9 and had never seen anything like it). Then bought Morrowind, NWN and Arcanum few weeks later.

nobre

Cipher
Demo of BG2 when it was coming out. Played the full version 10 years later or so.

Beastro

Arcane
Countdown to Doomsday is the oldest I can recall messing around with, a rental my brother did.

After that was FFII after playing it with a friend at his place when he rented it until EQ made me get back into Western RPGs.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Final Fantasy 2/4 introduced me, but my first real RPG was a used copy of Might & Magic 3 on SNES without the manual. I was like a blind man in a brothel.

Mid ‘90s we got a PC and I started playing text based online RPGs, like Gemstone 3 and Dragonrealms... Not my proudest moment, but it’s a good way to learn how to type.

Then god said let there be Fallout and there was light.

Cael

Arcane
Ultima 4. It was one of the first games I've ever played on the PC, the other being Karateka. I actually moved on to shooters like Invaders, Blitz, ABM and others later.

Baldur's Gate. I got it from a friend at school soon after it was released. Before that, I had no idea what RPGs are, but BG had me hooked. I suppose that's the reason why I'm one of the few people who actually like BG1 better than it's successor.
Next came Ultima 9, but my computer back then was too slow to run it - a piece of luck, as I would only realize much later. I got interested in the series anyway and played U7 instead, thus laying the foundation for my ongoing love affair with the Ultima games.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Fallout 1 or Wizardry 7, I think. I don't exactly remember. Couldn't play the latter properly, really, not knowing English and all that. But both hooked me up for anything remotely close to a role playing stamp. When I got my hands on Wizardry 8, that was translated to my language, it was the day I saw heaven. I managed to play through Fallout 1 with a dictionary, since the UI was self-explanatory and the gameplay much more streamlined when compared to Wiz7.

To this day I dream of Wizardry 9.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Diablo -> Fallout -> Baldur's Gate -> Torment....

As and adult I realized that Fallout (and everything Troika) is my favorite thing in the world :cainapproves:

Heechee

Liturgist
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall

The sheer scope of the world and the endless serpentine dungeons set a benchmark against which I compared RPGs for a long time. Being too young, I didn't see the hollowness behind the procedural generation applied on such scale. At that time I thought large-scale immersive simulations would soon follow as a logical next step. The closest I ever got to that feeling of wonder again in games was when I played Ultima Online and those first few months of Star Wars Galaxies, before they butchered it.

The follies of youth.

:negative:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Diablo II demo which I borrowed from a school friend. Then Oblivion came out and blew my fucking mind (I was 8-9 and had never seen anything like it). Then bought Morrowind, NWN and Arcanum few weeks later.
Diablo an rpg lol.... Diablo is an hack and slash... calling diablo rpg is like calling league of legends a decent game with a wonderful community.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall

The sheer scope of the world and the endless serpentine dungeons set a benchmark against which I compared RPGs for a long time. Being too young, I didn't see the hollowness behind the procedural generation applied on such scale. At that time I thought large-scale immersive simulations would soon follow as a logical next step. The closest I ever got to that feeling of wonder again in games was when I played Ultima Online and those first few months of Star Wars Galaxies, before they butchered it.

The follies of youth.

:negative:
I have a lot of fun memories with Daggerfall. My friends David, Timmy and I would all play it together when we were 8, but we were too scared to actually go to dungeons, so we'd spend most of our time committing crimes in the cities. We played it more like Grand Theft Auto than how you're probably supposed to play it. I still remember our first character, too, Xashar. He got inflicted with lycanthropy somehow and his hitpoints went down to 4 permanently. I also remember how we'd run out of the room screaming whenever we heard King Lysandus shout, "VENGEANCE" or a skeleton cackling. Good times.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Can't remember which game exactly it was, but I have a few data points around 91/92 that drew me into the genre, though no idea of the exact chronology.

I remember buying my first PC games (Demon's Winter and Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception, finished the first, got stuck in the 2nd because my budget copy lacked the copy protection clues), I remember playing a high seas copy of EotB2 and seeing someone play Ultima 7 (played it for real years later and was then kinda disappointed), I remember trying to get Ultima Underworld 2 to run on my PC (failed, the game was just too demanding), also played through Pools of Darkness (first goldbox game I played), I remember playing a borrowed copy of Zelda on my SNES, the SNES Mystic Quest (one of only 3 games I had for the system, that shit was expensive), and borrowing a friend's Gameboy and playing through Mystic Quest (different game).

I also remember a black and white, icon-based roguelike that I played around that time, probably some shareware game, that I never managed to rediscover. That fucking game is haunting me.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Back when I was a consoletard and JRPGs were the hot shit I played several PS1 titles. I found them pretty boring yet intriguing, so I went back to some older SNES and NES games like Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Mario RPG and so on, but even their foundational games on consoles like Dragon Quest 1 were using their stats, turn-based combat and exploration in extremely boring ways, and I didn't understand why at the time.

I was about to give up when I found the Famicom version of Final Fantasy 2. Unlike most other Final Fantasy games, this was no polished turd but an ambitious and extremely flawed gem, Final Fantasy 2 is no Arcanum but I was getting closer to my objective. Finally I fired up the Master System emulator, and after getting bored with Phantasy Star and the like I found a little Ultima IV rom and I was blown away.

Before that I was avoiding western games thinking they were just a bunch of MMOs and silly Diablo and Eye of the Beholder clones (I was such a dumbass), but after finding about the Ultima series I switched to PC and started playing some western classics like Darklands, Daggerfall and Realms of Arkania. Life became good.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Mom knew I liked Heroes of Might and Magic, thought they were the same, bought the entire Might and Magic collection for my birthday. It was 6 I played the most.

Sykar

Arcane
Fallout 1 got me fully hooked on cRPGs without a doubt. I did have a PC in 1994/1995 already but I played tactics games, or more specifically UFO:Enemy Unknown and XCom: Terror from the Depth alongside Sensible Soccer and Wing Commander.

After Fallout 1 I got hooked for real, bought Fallout 2, BG 1+2, Planescape: Torment, NWN, Arcanum, almost always on release day or shortly after.

I did play some cRPGs earlier on my SNES like Shadowrun but they did not "hook" me even though I liked them.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom