Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

polo

Magister
Which weapon do you guys think its the most fun? Starting with the odachi was like the worst choice i could ever made, restarted with dualies and the games SO much fun. Even tho harder some times.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I tried all the weapons, mostly sword, dual swords and kusarigama. I used the latter two for 80% of the game since my build and play style were all about speed.

polo

Magister
How long is this game without the unbelivable amount of leve reciclying? I mean, i have 4 missions on the same level (1 main, 2 sub 1 twilight), exactly the same level, with some twitching in some cases. it has some DA2 vibes :lol:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Skip the optional sub-missions and twilight missions if you don't want to see same levels again. It still has plenty of content :shittydog:

polo

Magister
Skip the optional sub-missions and twilight missions if you don't want to see same levels again. It still has plenty of content :shittydog:
Thats why i asked how long it is without those. If its like 10hs of main missions im totally ok skipping those.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Just beat the Centipede boss. What a pushover, went down in one try. Hilarious how the boss basically plops down on the ground now and then to let you pummel it. Can kinda see where they were going with it, but I think they failed. It's basically a copy of the caterpillar boss from Ys Origin minus the speed and/or chalenge.

Ohwell, at least the level itself was fun.

Hyperion

Arcane
Played a few missions on Way of the Demon and the 1st Dragon of the North mission on Way of the Strong. Way of the Demon is easier than Dragon of the North by far. My damage is still OK, I can kill things pretty fast still but my defenses went to shit. One mook from Bandits mission, yes one of the trash pirates you fight on the very first real mission, can kill me in 2 hits. I have 4 pieces of of heavy gear, all at over +10 and one piece medium armor with over 4000 HP and one of those fucks hits for something around 2500+ damage. I'm also growing bored of the Dual Katanas but I'm beginning to fall into a pattern where it's SOTC all the time as regular attacks tend to do shit in terms of damage and no other skill matches SOTC in damage output. I'm considering resepc'ing into a single Katana + Spear build but that would require at least partially going through Way of the Strong again to get my gear upgraded. Decisions, decisions.
You're scaring me, bro. I just finished Way of the Strong and all of its challenge Sub-Missions. None of them killed me, but that fucking Tea Time Nue + Tengu fight is an immeasurable pain in the goddamn fucking balls. I'm feeling stronk as fuck right now, and I'm worried WotD will crush my ego. SotC spam is definitely boring, and I only use it when predicting an enemy boss / Revenant spawn at this point. Would much rather be in mid stance and attack humans 'till they block to drain their Ki with Moon Shadow, or Cherry Blossom in High Stance on a Yokai. Damage is definitely similar to SOTC. With no buffs, against an Amrita Fiend's back in The Queen's Eyes on WotSt, SotC did ~8,500 twice. Cherry Blossom did 5,300 and 9,700, not including the 6 hits from the combo leading up to it. This is, of course, without the Master Swordsman 2kats, because I can't fucking get a pair with 7 affixes on them.

Against Human opponents, parrying with The Shrike is without a doubt the best damage source. Huge damage, leaves them open to a SOTC AND a Final Blow, looks fucking badass, and makes you feel like a champ to boot. God of Wind is a great move to use when you need to attack and move fast, and can instantly follow it up with a dodge if you're against multiple opponents. Mortal Flow is great for breaking horns. Hell, I even use that stupid Masamune charge attack sometimes, even if it is shitty. Against Yokai, for sheer DPS, Water Sword is unmatched. Just don't use it on Tengus, lol.

Since beating The Queen's Eyes, have you tried forging items to get all of your 150 gear into 160? I would have to imagine going from 150 +10 to 160 +10 makes a pretty large difference in terms of damage taken. If it doesn't, you can always change up your gear and go full Tatenashi for that nice chunk of damage reduction, use a Change to Magic 2kat, pump your magic stat and use Genbu, the Turtle Guardian Spirit. He slows your run speed, but gives an additional 10% damage reduction, and Change to Defense Magic. Also a big plus, he's Water Elemental, which is my favorite elemental debuff along with Wind.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Not sure what you mean by "dedicated", but Warrior of the West and East are both heavy sets that include a single sword.

Also, can someone tell me how to use the high stance? I actively use mid and low (with single and dual swords), but have trouble using the high stance, since it's so slow and I tend to get pummeled. I only rarely ever turn it on to get 1-hit knockdowns on Yoki, but even that backfires more often than not. Any advice? Or is it more a matter of needing heavy armor to be able to tank the hits you can't avoid?

Ausdoerrt

Augur
OK, guess I should invest into the skills and see how it goes.

On the sets, per wiki, "Tranquil Foundation" and "Samurai from Dark Lands" are also heavy sets with single sword focus.

Hyperion

Arcane
D_X, you came close to convincing me to switch from Spear to Single Katana as the second weapon, just because the thing has such a plethora of skills and sets attached to it. But then, I went and got a Raging Bull spear with Twisting Spear damage on it. 100 Divine Fragments and 3 million Gold later, I'm charging that fucker up and doing 20,000 unbuffed to an enemy's back.

Naturally no 2kats like that. Did you craft, find, or drop the Master Swordsman ones? I used all my materials and never got above 5 affixes on a Divine set.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Never trust the wiki, eh?

Also, I gotta say, Raiken is the cutest guardian spirit so far (with the exception of Double Raiken, of course)! :love:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Questions:

1. Is there ever a huge, sudden, jump in weapon power? Or will the whole game mostly be just finding a steady stream of weapons that are 3-5 levels above your own, then using them to upgrade your weapon with your preferred powers? I like this game, but the constant need to upgrade your weapon via soul forging is slightly annoying.

2. Is the best way to farm weapons and armor just killing the revenants? I just want to know how you get the best weapon effects. I assume it's farming revenants who are your own weapon/armor type, correct?

3. What are the best weapon/armor effects?

4. Is spirit worth it? I upgraded spirit heavily and kicked ass in early game, but it seems the stat has very diminishing returns now that I'm further in. The longer invincibility is nice, but it still drains if you get hit and it just doesn't seem to have the damage on higher level enemies that it once did. I'm thinking of just respecing and putting all of my spirit points in body to give me more longevity that way. Ninjitsu is sooooooooo much stronger on higher level enemies.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Water Shadow, maybe?

Question right back at you - how does one reliably execute SOTC with dual sword? Half the time I get stuck just drawing the blades or standing stupidly doing nothing...

Ezekiel

Arcane
I hate the electro cat boss so much. Wouldn't be so bad if he didn't have that tail grab attack. I try to avoid his back, but it still happens.

Ugh, this always happens... I make a bitching post about a part of a game I'm stuck in and one or two attempts later I get past it. And I've been here for three days.

Last edited:

Ausdoerrt

Augur
I hate the electro cat boss so much. Wouldn't be so bad if he didn't have that tail grab attack. I try to avoid his back, but it still happens.

Ugh, this always happens... I make a bitching post about a part of a game I'm stuck in and one or two attempts later I get past it. And I've been here for three days.
When I did Nue, he looked so intimidating that I decided to stay as far the f*** away from that thing as possible :lol: so I didn't even know he had a tail grab.

Tip for future fights with him: his weak spot is the head, wreck it with a bow/rifle to deplete his ki and open him for attack. Then dodge while the weak spot regenerates, rinse, repeat. Throw in Spirit Weapon at some point if you feel like it.

Ranged weapons are really underappreciated for boss fights, it seems.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Question: when do I get new generic (not named) weapon schematics for the smith? What determines it? E.g., needing to disassemble same weapon type X times, or something like that?

Hyperion

Arcane
Question: when do I get new generic (not named) weapon schematics for the smith? What determines it? E.g., needing to disassemble same weapon type X times, or something like that?
Smithing Texts are mostly random drops from bosses. Others are given as rewards for completing Sub Missions.

As for generics, you need to find certain Magatamas I think they're called, during sub-missions. They all have the same name as the first one you've (presumably) already given Tome. You need to explore thoroughly. Only 1 or 2 of them are actual quest rewards. I recall finding one in a treasure chest off the beaten path during a sub-mission in the Omi region. They're purple items and drop with that very distinctive sound. Unfortunately most generic items aren't of too much use to craft, the named ones are typically better, until NG+++ at least...

I'm still learning how to use Spears properly, and have been sticking mostly to Twisting Spear, Water Wheel and Tornado spam, but the damage output is ludicrous. My gear is only 160 or so, but I'm one-shotting Red Oni with a fully charged Twisting Spear from the back. I absolutely despised the weapon for the longest time because Spear Stance Change's delay would always get me whacked by a Yokai's reprisal and turn me into a ragun cajun. Disabling it so I can freely Ki Pulse and stance change into a dodge has done wonders for my survivability, but defensively it's still trash compared to the Dual Swords. Damage reduction on combos, quick low stance dodge with extra i-frames that turn into an attack boost. The beast damage definitely comes at a cost. I fucked up in Yokai Country WotSt and somehow aggro'd 3 Namahagane at once, then backed myself into a corner. Said fuck it, charged Twisting Spear out of desperation and OHKO all 3 at once without taking a lick of damage. The hit box is insane! Wish I recorded gameplay, because it's a toss up between that, and parrying that dash from Okatsu's silky smooth feet as my shining moment.

New shit has come to light, man! We I have information....man.

Taken from the Nioh sub-reddit:
Now, we've come to expect misleading translations in this game, so I set out to identify exactly what counts as "firearms damage". I did this by identifying which attacks now did zero damage to me after having 100% reduction. Here's the lists of attacks that I saw negated:

1. All arrows, bullets, and cannon shots, of course. This includes arrow traps and the arrow rain in Siege of Osaka (Winter)/Crimson Fortress.
  2. All bombs and bomb variants, such as those thrown by dwellers, ninja, Giant Toad, etc.
  3. All shuriken/kunai thrown by ninja, dogs, Okatsu, etc. This includes exploding shuriken (the explosion will do zero damage too).
  4. Everything that's spit at you, including the elemental balls spit by Onibi, fire/poison balls from Rokurokubi, Joro-gumo's webbing, etc.
  5. Virtually everything that's thrown at you, eg. stones, Onryoki's balls, the weapons Date Shigezane pulls out his back, etc. I have seen one exception, though: Yuki-onna's spear does damage you when she throws it.
  6. Flying bolts' projectile wraps. You're not protected from her projectile wrap grab, though.
  7. Makibishi
  8. Virtually all non-melee elemental attacks. This includes:
    • Lightning strikes from Nue, Nobunaga, Orochi, etc.
    • The sickle-shaped blasts from Raven Tengu and certain boss characters when in Living Weapon
    • Yuki-onna' icicles, and the AoE that form when they hit the ground
    • Yuki-onna's stomp AoE
    • Nobunaga's earth mines
    • Sanada Yukimura's twisters
    • Trail of fire left by wheelmonks/Sanada
Actually, it easier to list everything that is not negated. From what I've seen, if it does not involve an enemy physically swinging and hitting you with a weapon, it counts as firearms damage and is negated, unless it's:

• Kelley's Oroboros attacks
  • The surrounding energy when characters like Date Masamune and Sanada activate Living Weapon
  • Laser attacks, like the big one from Umi-bozu and the smaller ones from White tiger/Hundred eyes
  • Breath attacks like Yuki-onna's ice breath, Nue's lightning breath, or the fire/poison breath from Rokurokubi. Oddly enough, Orochi's breath attacks docount as firearms, and so I took no damage from them
Note that the status buildup from these attacks is also negated, but only for the 5 elemental status ailments. You will still be afflicted by non-elemental status ailments like paralysis and slow. Hence, Hino-enma's screech will do 0 damage, but still paralyze you. Rokurokubi's poison shots will do no damage, but still poison you. Orochi's confusion ball/breath will still...well, confuse you.

Edit: I completely forgot to mention how to actually get RFD 100%. There are a couple of ways to achieve it. First, the sources of RFD%:

1. Tatenashi 2pc set bonus gives 25%.
  2. Hiraishi 3pc set bonus gives 25%.
  3. Accessories can sometimes roll 9.x%
  4. 10.x% (13.x% at max familiarity) rolled on armor pieces
You can combine these in any way that most convenient to you. For example, I got a decent Yasakani with RFD 9.6% on it, and I didn't want to wear Hiraishi armor. So, the way I did it was:

• Tatenashi 2pc
  • Yasakani Magatama with 9.6%
  • 13.x% on all five armor pieces.
You can temper/reforge RFD on helmets and torso armor. it's a common perk too so it shouldn't be too long before you get it. To get it on the other armor pieces, you need to inherit from a helmet or torso piece. This would mean giving up the Attack+ inheritable, though.

Edit 2: Does not affect lasers from White Tiger and Hundred Eyes.
Holy SHIT, 100% received firearm damage is RIDICULOUS. I'm currently sitting at about 60% with Tatenashi's Bonus, my Yasakani Magatama has 9.5%, and I have a Chest and Helm with 13.9% each. Now that I actually know how good of a stat it is, I can't get any Helms or Chest with more than 7.X% inheritable on it. Fucking game!

Last edited:

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Ah, OK, thanks for the Magatama info. I did find one as a sub-mission reward, but I found it weird that I now have like 10 different options for single sword and only two forging options for dual swords. Oh well. And I'm still in the second area, so too early for me to farm unique smithing texts or whatnot.

In other news, the Umibouzu level is friggin' infuriating. Insta-death potholes you can barely see everywhere! Good job, game, I hope this is a one-off and not a trend, because the game has crap precise movement controls anyway.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I found Umi-Bozu pretty rewarding tbh. Like most of the bosses so far, it favoured the patient approach. Dash in, couple of hits then dash out. I stopped bothering trying to hit his tentacles and just went for a few slashes at his body with a flaming spear when I had an opening. With all three fires lit and no adds he went down after a couple of tries, once I'd learnt his attack tells.

Certainly the next main mission boss has a much more hazard-free arena though. Plus the next land was where a lot more weapon forging options opened up, so you'll probably find the same.

Hyperion

Arcane
Ah, OK, thanks for the Magatama info. I did find one as a sub-mission reward, but I found it weird that I now have like 10 different options for single sword and only two forging options for dual swords. Oh well. And I'm still in the second area, so too early for me to farm unique smithing texts or whatnot.

In other news, the Umibouzu level is friggin' infuriating. Insta-death potholes you can barely see everywhere! Good job, game, I hope this is a one-off and not a trend, because the game has crap precise movement controls anyway.
Couple more levels with insta death pitfalls. Nothing close to that area, though.

D_X Grats, bro. About fucking time it happened...that one missing affix would have driven me up the wall though. Gonna have to farm Marobashi when I get the chance. Fuck forging.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
That level was actually what made me realize you can't fall off ledges by attacking, only moving. Huge improvement over Souls series in that regard.

Ezekiel

Arcane
That level was actually what made me realize you can't fall off ledges by attacking, only moving. Huge improvement over Souls series in that regard.
I thought of this idea for my "dream game" a long time ago of allowing the player to remain stationary while attacking by holding the walk key. But I barely walk in games, so maybe it would be better to remove it. I wanna see a really good third person melee system designed for a mouse and KB.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom