Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WTF has happened to this forum

Lambach

Arcane
You can't really expect people to talk about monocled RPGs all the time when there's not all that many of them coming out these days. What's been released in 2017 that's actually good? Numanuma fell flat on its face, I can't get over the retarded changes in D:OS 2, Prospermeda is, well, Prospermeda, ELEX was so-so, the South Park game was a massive downgrade compared to the first, weeb shit I ain't even gonna touch etc. Overall, 2017 has been a pretty lousy year for the genre.

I guess the folks who like Grimwah are happy, but they're all a bunch of weirdos anyway.

thesoup

Arcane
The point is that even when there are good games to talk about, Bethesda and other shit still gets talked about more.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
What is too high a standard, in your opinion? If the tragically dumbed-down games that are acceptable everywhere else are acceptable here as well, then the Codex simply has no standards. Should that be the case?
Having higher standards doesn't stop us from testing a game to be able to criticize it properly / for research purposes, from wanting to play mindless shit sometimes when tired/smashed, or from liking something for an aspect of it despite the whole being objectively mediocre. There is the conjunction "and", you know, It's not an either/or situation.

It's like with food (and movies, TV, all the shits). Knowing some cheese or wine of high quality is awesome and setting it as your standard doesn't stop you from enjoying the lower quality one sometimes, even though you know it is not as good / it doesn't meet your high standard in every way or even in most ways.

Anyways, no cRPG ever satisfied my standard, there is always some things to criticize and room for improvement. So if I only played games that delivered to such a level, without flaw, I'd never play anything. And so you learn to live with some flaws.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I am trying to remember when RPG Codex was ever a "monocle" forum.

If you see archived threads, you will see that the release of Oblivion caused a flood of Morrowind refugees yearning for the good old days of Morrowind. Don't get me wrong, Morrowind is a fascinating game, but hardly something that will make you look sophisticated. But Morrowind became the standard of elite RPG once Oblivion was released.

Rosh and Vault Dweller did use to talk about how shit BG2 is and how great Fallout is, but BG2 is this forum's most popular game (and deservedly so). What seems to have happened was that Rosh, VD, and Skyway were the most visible posters here, but that was never the majority opinion.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
I am trying to remember when RPG Codex was ever a "monocle" forum.

If you see archived threads, you will see that the release of Oblivion caused a flood of Morrowind refugees yearning for the good old days of Morrowind. Don't get me wrong, Morrowind is a fascinating game, but hardly something that will make you look sophisticated. But Morrowind became the standard of elite RPG once Oblivion was released.

Rosh and Vault Dweller did use to talk about how shit BG2 is and how great Fallout is, but BG2 is this forum's most popular game (and deservedly so). What seems to have happened was that Rosh, VD, and Skyway were the most visible posters here, but that was never the majority opinion.
I think it's some form of perpetual internet forum phenomenon:
  • newfags shitpost trying to be omgsorandomlel
  • fake, "next-gen" oldfags keep whining about the decline that newfags and the world in general has brought
  • truly arcane oldfags just shrug wearily and try to stay as far away as possible from the previous two groups

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
B0G4r.png

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
What seems to have happened was that Rosh, VD, and Skyway were the most visible posters here, but that was never the majority opinion.
nota dis shituru agen

Morrowind was liked by some at first, but seen in a less flattering light later on. Compare the 2002 Year in Review, where some low ranking not-long-for-this-forum staff members sucked on Morrowind cock, to the one from 2003, where Spazmo teared its ass apart. Afterwards though, during the decline years, and compared to Oblivion, Morrowind did get some retroactive love, also due in part to newfags/refugees. Which is why when you joined the Codex, it looked like the Morrowind dislike was a minority opinion.
Spazmo said:
It's the same old hopelessly dull Morrowind gameplay. You run around fairly pretty countryside beating the tar out of hordes of stupid cliff racers doing completely pointless quests that involve murdering people for no real reason and occasionally 'talking' to the walking search engines the game calls NPCs. Morrowind is a terrible game and the expansions for it don't seem to fix any of that horror.

BG2 was liked by some but also panned by many. There is a good reason why, at the time (2002-4), Volourn was the laugh of the place because of his staunch defense of Bioware games, despite being ganged up on in every thread where he whiteknited them. He's the original tag owner before there were even tags, for this reason. He eventually came around as Bioware's games got even worse. But let it be known, if you came in here flaunting your Bio colors, you were gonna get an ass reaming, if only to see if you were worthy to be on the Codex despite your Bio tastes.

VD, Skyway, etc were not the first line of defense then, Saint and Spazmo were for sure, I don't remember everyone else's specific opinions though, I wasn't very active back then and even lost my original account.

Sjukob

Arcane
Numanuma fell flat on its face, I can't get over the retarded changes in D:OS 2, Prospermeda is, well, Prospermeda, ELEX was so-so, the South Park game was a massive downgrade compared to the first, weeb shit I ain't even gonna touch etc. Overall, 2017 has been a pretty lousy year for the genre.
Just took words out of my mouth. :salute: Fuck 2017 and fuck any retard praising the listed games.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
I wasn't very active back then and even lost my original account.

Do you remember what it was called?
I think I do. But does it matter? I mean, aside from a more :obviously: join date and user number for dick measuring contests of course. I searched for it in the Members section and it didn't exist. I posted very little with it so, it might just have gone with the great lurker purge... unless it's undead somewhere?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Codex hasn't declined. The Codex is what it always has been - a bunch of people who pretend to want deeper, more meaningful games on here, and then logoff to post 1000s of hours in Bethesduh games, and 0 hours in any actual deeper game.

How about the next time you get the urge to post "The Codex is...", refrain from hitting the post reply button and shove a packet of razorblades down your throat instead. You have zero fucking qualifications to speak on the behalf of "us".

The Codex is - a bunch of
nazis
faggots
furries
commies
niggers
spics
womyn
trannies
jews
koala-fuckers
kangaroo-fisters
weaboos
pedos
swedes

That's a bit too much.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I think I do. But does it matter? I mean, aside from a more :obviously: join date and user number for dick measuring contests of course. I searched for it in the Members section and it didn't exist. I posted very little with it so, it might just have gone with the great lurker purge... unless it's undead somewhere?

Admit it, Ismaul, you timed your registration to get the #3333 account number to show off.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I couldn't pay much attention to the Codex for a while, and now that I can I find people talking about Skyrim and such shit in all threads. WTF has happened, have we lost this base? Are we gathering in some other forum now? Somebody please let me know about our new meeting place, I was accidentally left behind.
What happened to you? Without your brilliant 2-year-old guidance it's no wonder the rest of us Lost Our Way. Guide us, O great one, back to the light, back to the salad days of 2 years ago when Codexia achieved its full flower.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Admit it, Ismaul, you timed your registration to get the #3333 account number to show off.
I didn't notice we were numbered until the great "we are nothing but our numbers" cataclysmic event. Sometimes I long for this day to come again so I can show it off.

I wonder what my original number was. Was it monocled enough to be composed of only three digits? Would any three be better than #3333? Those are very serious existential questions.

It used to be you could browse members by join date / number, see where you fit in the order of things. But DU took it from us. I wonder who's the lucky #666.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
A scream of joy at the incline you mean, number seven-five-nine-oh.

Enjoyment of the Event was and is mandatory. The day when the numbers are all added up is coming!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom