Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpellForce 3 Reforced + Soul Harvest & Fallen God standalone expansions

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Or they just didn't have enough of a budget to do VO for everything, so brevity was necessary. I still don't understand why they hired Geralt's voice actor of all people, he has a ridiculous gravelly voice which I have always hated.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How's the rpg elements? The second one had some weird ass decisions where you to take up x amount of skills before you could move further in one tier, is this similar or what?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Or they just didn't have enough of a budget to do VO for everything, so brevity was necessary. I still don't understand why they hired Geralt's voice actor of all people, he has a ridiculous gravelly voice which I have always hated.

English VO are terrible, it's clearly that the German voice actors are much more experienced and they actually sound like they can deliver certain emotions here and there

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How's the rpg elements? The second one had some weird ass decisions where you to take up x amount of skills before you could move further in one tier, is this similar or what?
And the warrior tree was utterly stupid. Your ultimate power was like two-handed weapon proficiency.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
And the warrior tree was utterly stupid. Your ultimate power was like two-handed weapon proficiency.

They changed the ability trees after the beta. Warrior ultimate is now Haste.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I was referring spellforce 2

Ah, ok. Either way my point stands, in case someone wasn't too happy with the skill trees in the Spellforce 3 beta (the warrior tree was kinda all over the place). Now they make more sense. Anyway I finished the tutorial. I'm really surprised at the detail they've put into the environments. I mean the beta was good looking, but this keeps impressing. I got to the part where I can finally make my Avatar only to be saddened that the male portraits are really shitty and the female ones are really not shitty. Seems the artist wants me to be a girl. :M

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Some trees are useless,my warrior's ultimate is health potions are more effective.....in 6-8 hours i used 2 potions. So i don't bother going down the tree and just pump up some practical skills.

By the way,does anyone have the gog patch and is in a Christmas mood? There is a nasty bug in the "The refugees" quest,save before you enter the map! If anyone have the patch could PM me,i would appreciate it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Voice Acting sucks. It forces developers to spend resources, and removes proper dialogues. What's the point of making proper choice and consequence when VA would cause only 1/10 of VA would be heard by player in one playtrought.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Some trees are useless,my warrior's ultimate is health potions are more effective.....in 6-8 hours i used 2 potions. So i don't bother going down the tree and just pump up some practical skills.

By the way,does anyone have the gog patch and is in a Christmas mood? There is a nasty bug in the "The refugees" quest,save before you enter the map! If anyone have the patch could PM me,i would appreciate it.

That's actually not a useless skill at all since it's a passive perk. You only have a limited amount of skills that you can equip anyway. Realistically you're probably going to grab active skills from one skill tree and then pick the other 2 skill trees for passives.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

That's actually not a useless skill at all since it's a passive perk. You only have a limited amount of skills that you can equip anyway. Realistically you're probably going to grab active skills from one skill tree and then pick the other 2 skill trees for passives.
For me is useless,i have used 2-3 times a potion. Rather get some other passive buffs.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

For me is useless,i have used 2-3 times a potion. Rather get some other passive buffs.

I used potions a lot in the beta, but the game was pretty relentless there. Might be more important at harder difficulties.

miles teg

Scholar
how good is it compared to spellforce 2? I played it for 20 hours or so, but I found it very unispiring and dull. The story was pretty bland and the rts part was decent but nothing to write home about

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
how good is it compared to spellforce 2? I played it for 20 hours or so, but I found it very unispiring and dull. The story was pretty bland and the rts part was decent but nothing to write home about

Far better in almost every department and the story and writing are eons ahead of the Spellforce 1-2 and I can safely say it blows Pillars of Eternity to pieces, there's just no place for comparisons here. It's clearly that these people put their soul into this game, sure it could have been better but I guess it's still a budget game and had to compromise in certain departments.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Pretty good for me,the writing is really good ...surprisingly and it is more of a rpg than a strategy....for now. Try it out mate,it is worth the download.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Far better in almost every department and the story and writing are eons ahead of the Spellforce 1-2 and I can safely say it blows Pillars of Eternity to pieces, there's just no place for comparisons here. It's clearly that these people put their soul into this game, sure it could have been better but I guess it's still a budget game and had to scratch some things.
It is really surprising how good the writing is. It is far better than most rpgs from the past few years,let alone AAA shit.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I enjoyed the writing in the beta but that didn't do any justice to the full game. I'm really surprised at how good it is, again. This game is all kinds of amazing.

bminorkey

The writing is good because it's by the same guy who made the Enderal "mod" for Skyrim (more like a different game built in the Skyrim engine). Recommended if you guys want more writing like this (or better writing, rather)

deama

Prophet
Hmm, sadly it requires a windows platform update if using windows 7, so it looks like I'll have to wait a couple of weeks till it's time for a windows reinstall.

Last edited:

skyst

Augur
I've been enjoying it so far and can confirm that the writing is solid. It's refreshing to see realistic dialogue after the years of lore-dump dialogue that seemed to coincide with the Kickstarter RPG era. This game should probably get a thread in the RPG forum.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I know that this game have thread in the strategy subforum but i think that it deserve one in the RPG forum. The game is more of a RPG than strategy and have one of the best writing in recent years. Better than PoE and D:OS,Numenera and Tyranny can't even compare to this writing. Another plus is that you can be bearded man's man! Only negative that i came up is that it is buggy,wait a few days to get patched up.
header.jpg

https://af.gog.com/game/spellforce_iii?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll definitely be joining the fun first thing the next year. Until then, I just have too many other titles from recent sales to give a look first.

Any words on the MP or co-op experience?

Gimble

Educated
How does it compare to spellforce 2? I remember that one being equal part RTS and action RPG, but overall a reasonably good game.

Mixed feelings so far.

The visuals are mostly gorgeous, the story reasonably intriguing if a bit stereotypical, voice acting is surprisingly good from what I've heard and the mix between typical party based RPG and base-building RTS is likable enough...
The only flaw (and it's not a minor one) is that battles up to this point seem quite confusing and hard to "read". There's a lot going on, the screen is always rather busy with details and effects and no tactical pause seems to be allowed even in the single player campaign (you can pause the game, but that opens the Options menu and doesn't let you give commands).
There's a weird "ALT-over-target to slow/freeze time" mechanic, but I can't seem to get used to it to save my life.

My early impressions are mostly positive, but I'm wondering if I'll get used to these issues or they'll just get worse as missions will escalate in complexity over time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom