Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X3: Albion Prelude

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A decent space flying game with a lot of variety in the gameplay... but also a very broken game.

X3: AP is about flying and doing whatever you like. "Whatever" in this particular case can mean a lot of things, such as fighting or trading or completing missions or playing with stock exchange, building your own fleet and base, exploring new territories... and most of these things are fun. When they work.

The flying is pretty good, and the gameworld consists of many small areas (which is pretty weird for a space game, I think), many of the mare quite similar, but the environments are impressive nonetheless. There is about 270 areas to explore, and flying to see new places is a joy in itself.

Combat is alright, but it could be better. It's not bad though, just very average. Fortunately, building your own fleet and base give a lot of satisfaction and are worth your time.

There are both main quest missions and generated random missions. While I can say that I quite like the randomized missions, which are varied and even interesting (for a generated ones), the main quests are simply... broken. Sometimes I could not complete a main quest because one of the missions bugged out. The story isn't really that interesting in the first place though, so you might as well forget about the storyline.

Trading is alright, just like combat, and it's a totally viable option too. If you don't want to fight, then trading is a good way to spend your time in this game, enjoyable when combined with exploration, and it's also the easiest way to generate a lot of money. Avoid stock exchange though, it's broken and developers never cared enough to fix it.

AI is dumb as bricks... or even worse. Autopilot crashes you into other ships (or "buildings") a lot, and if you are near gates, then sometimes a ship spans at your position and you explode. This is quite frustrating. Enemies are easy to out-maneouver.

The sounds in this game... are bad. You should accept the fact that apparently there is air in space and you hear sounds of everything around you, while explosions look very... Earthy. Sounds disappoint, but music is great and differentiates a lot between various areas. Some of the tracks are great to listen to even outside of the game.

X3: Albion Prelude is even larger than previous X games. It has more territories and more ships. It's a decent game well worth a purchase, and probably the best to play in the series, especially if you have never played any X game before. I recommend it to those who like space action games (some people wrongly describe it as "space simulator", do not get mistaken, there is no simulation in this game) and sandbox games where they just play around without any specific goal, and I recommend it to those who have never tried any space game before as X3: AP is a good way to check out if you like the genre. Overall, a good game, but quite bugged.

Severian Silk

I am playing Star Wolves 3 right now. The lackluster star systems you visit are wearing me down. I don't really know what's happening in the story because everywhere you go is the same and boring.

Star Wolves 1 had hand-made maps, and was better.

Thane Solus

Arcane
A decent space flying game with a lot of variety in the gameplay... but also a very broken game.

X3: AP is about flying and doing whatever you like. "Whatever" in this particular case can mean a lot of things, such as fighting or trading or completing missions or playing with stock exchange, building your own fleet and base, exploring new territories... and most of these things are fun. When they work.

The flying is pretty good, and the gameworld consists of many small areas (which is pretty weird for a space game, I think), many of the mare quite similar, but the environments are impressive nonetheless. There is about 270 areas to explore, and flying to see new places is a joy in itself.

Combat is alright, but it could be better. It's not bad though, just very average. Fortunately, building your own fleet and base give a lot of satisfaction and are worth your time.

There are both main quest missions and generated random missions. While I can say that I quite like the randomized missions, which are varied and even interesting (for a generated ones), the main quests are simply... broken. Sometimes I could not complete a main quest because one of the missions bugged out. The story isn't really that interesting in the first place though, so you might as well forget about the storyline.

Trading is alright, just like combat, and it's a totally viable option too. If you don't want to fight, then trading is a good way to spend your time in this game, enjoyable when combined with exploration, and it's also the easiest way to generate a lot of money. Avoid stock exchange though, it's broken and developers never cared enough to fix it.

AI is dumb as bricks... or even worse. Autopilot crashes you into other ships (or "buildings") a lot, and if you are near gates, then sometimes a ship spans at your position and you explode. This is quite frustrating. Enemies are easy to out-maneouver.

The sounds in this game... are bad. You should accept the fact that apparently there is air in space and you hear sounds of everything around you, while explosions look very... Earthy. Sounds disappoint, but music is great and differentiates a lot between various areas. Some of the tracks are great to listen to even outside of the game.

X3: Albion Prelude is even larger than previous X games. It has more territories and more ships. It's a decent game well worth a purchase, and probably the best to play in the series, especially if you have never played any X game before. I recommend it to those who like space action games (some people wrongly describe it as "space simulator", do not get mistaken, there is no simulation in this game) and sandbox games where they just play around without any specific goal, and I recommend it to those who have never tried any space game before as X3: AP is a good way to check out if you like the genre. Overall, a good game, but quite bugged.

All X3 games are broken games without mods. They even had the audacity to add in all expansions the mods which usually fixed their broken designs from the community without doing fuck all, same they did with the X4 rebirth, Home of light is basically a compilation of mods, and some new areas.

There is no high end game, the world is not dynamic besides a few AI traders that might come to help your factories. Every ships is spawn out of nothing and doesn't cost the AI resources, the war in AP is a scripting piece of shit in some "war" systems, the high end game is non existant since, there is no dynamic world, ai or economy. The xenon spawn out of nothing and on fast timer if you go kill them on their system, basically they have no real designers, and those UI commands... They used the sounds and Hud Graphics from X2, and didnt made cockpits, cause fuck you.....

If you want to actually enjoy the game here are the mods (no fucking total conversion shits) :

0) Sector Takeover (STO) - you can declare war on the sector owners, and place a trading station to claim the sector. Once you claim it even if is Xenon sector, it will surpress their spawning in that sector. It also ads the possibility to let other factions create stations there (var number, var what factories, var what factions) Also it has also options to make the previous owner engage in raiding your territory and other stuff... Without this mod, the game is completely unplayable for me
1) Maring Repairs and Training (marines repair slowly the ships they are on, its costs money but 10-40% of the ship value) - fucking shit game designers, how do you release a game where you have no repair drones, repair lasers on ships...
2) Improved Boarding - helps you bind a key for fast release of the marines when close to the target, or even teleport if you have a special item that costs 46 mil :P
3) X3 Colored Map - to see which system belongs too, fluff...
4) Litecube Bounce - since your ships AI is retarded sometimes, and in larger battle the m3's can die in mass, this bounce script helps your ships bounce in certain situations instead of dieing like idiots.
5) MK3 opt - optimzes the UT traders - they retreat faster, improved trading
6) Energy Cell regeneration - for M6 and up you can buy a cell generator for 400k, that regenerates the energy cells when the ship has full shields.
7) Ads or Codea for Carrier and Wing management
8) Trader Overview - Tag certain Traders or Station to see their profit values

Optional:

- PSCO1_CockpitMod_v1.33AP - cockpit mod with cockpits from x2
- IE immersive environments - improves the background environment images of each system, pretty nice
- Mars for improved capital turret AI, but its a bit overpowered if you dont give the same to the AI.
- Enhanced Briefings - gives you more details about the missions you take (enemy faction, ships to return)

WAR:

- Improved Races 2.0 - Dynamic war between factions, but of course they spawn ships out of nothing, still better than vanilla, since they cap the territories, but i am not sure if there is a spawn suppression which that would make the mod useless, since the stupid spawning is hardcoded. In STO the dude made a batch job, to check for enemies that spawn in your claim territory and destroys them. You rarely notice, so it works.

So yeah without mods, X3 games are pretty horrible, beside the ability to create a huge trade empire or fleets, to do nothing with them, and those dumb, EXTREMELY retarded campaigns, where the only one decent are made again !!!! by the community. The last campaigns beside the stupid Albion Prelude plot, were made by the community since Egosoft besides making nice 3d models are horrible at the rest. In X Rebirth the made the most incredible environments i v seen in a space game, but thats all, the rest is absolutely garbage. [/triggered]

Fuck this company, its worse than Bethesda, even with the interesting concepts, they are all broken in design.

Thane Solus

Arcane
I am playing Star Wolves 3 right now. The lackluster star systems you visit are wearing me down. I don't really know what's happening in the story because everywhere you go is the same and boring.

Yeah Star Wolves series was quite nice, too bad in 2-3 went a bit shitty. Still 3 i think its fun for a while but very restricted in some ways, since there is no real trading and stuff. They are enough systems, but since they are mostly empty and there is no trading, or station building or something, besides killing pirates, or some special item stations...

Turjan

Arcane
I know the games are broken, but I loved playing X3:TC. AP is a mixed bag in my opinion. Some things got better, others worse. I kept playing TC.

Regarding mods, I at one point switched to a mod that automated station building somewhat. I know how to build okay-looking station complexes in vanilla, but that's basically lots of tedium, especially for larger complexes. Connectors don't only look bad, at least as far as they disturb an orderly look, they also cause problems with the retarded AI. If you are in the same sector as your complex, you sometimes see your race relations deteriorate quickly. That's probably some trader that constantly bumps into a station connector, and each bump counts as initiated by you :roll:. So I used invisible and immaterial connectors. With very large complexes, the best strategy is to never visit that sector again.

I actually don't know whether AP solved that. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Severian Silk

Yeah Star Wolves series was quite nice, too bad in 2-3 went a bit shitty. Still 3 i think its fun for a while but very restricted in some ways, since there is no real trading and stuff. They are enough systems, but since they are mostly empty and there is no trading, or station building or something, besides killing pirates, or some special item stations...
I am playing on normal difficulty and have to replay each encounter multiple times. Maybe I am too far ahead in the plot and am weak? Dunno.

Thane Solus

Arcane

I am playing on normal difficulty and have to replay each encounter multiple times. Maybe I am too far ahead in the plot and am weak? Dunno.

Yeah its tricky, on my second playthrough i toke a look at guide to see wth is goin down, and you got to grind and/or follow certain paths to develop a powerfull team (xp and ships). Not very well designed, but it was good for what it was...

Severian Silk

The game has gotten a little better since I upgraded my ships and pilots. I'm starting to change into 4th generation technology. However, I have a quest to follow the professor into the border sectors and there is another spike in difficulty. I guess I will have to grind some more.

Last edited by a moderator:

epeli

Arcane
There is no high end game, the world is not dynamic besides a few AI traders that might come to help your factories. Every ships is spawn out of nothing and doesn't cost the AI resources, the war in AP is a scripting piece of shit in some "war" systems, the high end game is non existant since, there is no dynamic world, ai or economy.

Hmm? That's not true, the economy is dynamic.
Stations die and pop up based on supply and demand. How you configure the hub gate links can have drastic effect on the that. Station building missions seem to be completely randomly generated though, they actually sometimes harm or otherwise shift the local economy. Xenon can also eventually wipe out sectors next to theirs and spread further if you don't stop them. TC doesn't have warp-in reinforcements like AP does.

The economy is rigged though. NPC solar power plants create energy out of nothing to ensure the stupid AI can't kill the economy.

At least that's how things work in X3:TC. I haven't played X3:AP much.

I know the games are broken, but I loved playing X3:TC. AP is a mixed bag in my opinion. Some things got better, others worse. I kept playing TC.

Regarding mods, I at one point switched to a mod that automated station building somewhat. I know how to build okay-looking station complexes in vanilla, but that's basically lots of tedium, especially for larger complexes. Connectors don't only look bad, at least as far as they disturb an orderly look, they also cause problems with the retarded AI. If you are in the same sector as your complex, you sometimes see your race relations deteriorate quickly. That's probably some trader that constantly bumps into a station connector, and each bump counts as initiated by you :roll:. So I used invisible and immaterial connectors. With very large complexes, the best strategy is to never visit that sector again.

Nah, AP didn't fix complexes. Complex-merging mods are a must have for endgame if you like building gigantic single-system complexes and actually flying in those systems without framerate issues. Huge clusterfuck complexes are nice for defensive purposes though. If one gets attacked, you just jump into the system and laugh as the AI ships suicide on station connectors. :D

I also prefer TC over AP. The latter doesn't really add anything of value. The war, albion sectors and oh-so-exploitable stock trading. TC has lots of nice plot questlines, AP has only one.

Thane Solus

Arcane
There is no high end game, the world is not dynamic besides a few AI traders that might come to help your factories. Every ships is spawn out of nothing and doesn't cost the AI resources, the war in AP is a scripting piece of shit in some "war" systems, the high end game is non existant since, there is no dynamic world, ai or economy.

Hmm? That's not true, the economy is dynamic.
Stations die and pop up based on supply and demand. How you configure the hub gate links can have drastic effect on the that. Station building missions seem to be completely randomly generated though, they actually sometimes harm or otherwise shift the local economy. Xenon can also eventually wipe out sectors next to theirs and spread further if you don't stop them. TC doesn't have warp-in reinforcements like AP does.

The economy is rigged though. NPC solar power plants create energy out of nothing to ensure the stupid AI can't kill the economy.

At least that's how things work in X3:TC. I haven't played X3:AP much.

Nah, AP didn't fix complexes. Complex-merging mods are a must have for endgame if you like building gigantic single-system complexes and actually flying in those systems without framerate issues. Huge clusterfuck complexes are nice for defensive purposes though. If one gets attacked, you just jump into the system and laugh as the AI ships suicide on station connectors. :D

I also prefer TC over AP. The latter doesn't really add anything of value. The war, albion sectors and oh-so-exploitable stock trading. TC has lots of nice plot questlines, AP has only one.

Semi-dynamic at best. Station yes they do disapear/appear based on demand, but thats about it and yes some of the traders deliver resources to them, but dont count on them or half of the factories will disapear. I only like Ap for the improved sector interface, improved OOS, and few other small things like that. TC while it has some plots, which i am not big fan of them, they are better than the official one in AP which is a fucking joke. But in AP i dont have to grind for 3 months for PHQ, the community made plots for PHQ, Hub and simpler and much better. Check here: http://roguey.co.uk/x3ap/help/ On the other side i think TC has better performance and no fucking stupid scripted war which now can be won with Shaddy Bussiness another community made plot which Egosoft added it as an update cause they are incompetent fucks to do it themselfs. Also i dont use the shares market, creating money out of nothing just like in RL, is not my idea of progression and achievement. Without the Sector Takeover and suppression, all of this would be pointless.

epeli

Arcane
I didn't know AP has improved OOS. How's it improved? Does it make OOS combat calculations any better?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I didn't know AP has improved OOS. How's it improved? Does it make OOS combat calculations any better?
I didn't notice any difference and I have at least 1000 hours or so in TC and about half that in AP.

Thane Solus

Arcane

From ze forums

AP adds a new set of values to TBullets, which allows for improved calculations. Combined with new script commands and new scripts, the OOS calculations in AP are intended to be more "fair". There are much fewer one-shot-kills. OOS battles take more time, which gives you a better chance to respond to an attack signal. Also, turrets in AP can engage multiple targets while OOS, which makes a destroyer more effective against a lot of fighters or drones.

The newer calculations in AP are not perfect, but they are definitely better than TC.

For details, see the OOS Rebalance thread (or OOS Rebalance v2, which is a step in between OOSR and OOSR3 which is built into AP).

Beastro

Arcane
Only mod I really, really like was the Naval Shuffle, but the guy was slow working it so I didn't get much out of it before I gave up on the game. Plus it wasn't comparable with the race war mod which hobbled it's appeal. That was like five years ago, no idea if he still works on it.

Basically dialed up the speeds on everything. Made small ships insanely fast, like 800-1200 M/S and large ships move at something other than a snails pace, like 150-250 M/S. Made combat very enjoyable and dogfighty for everything other than a fighter or suped up Hyperion.

Edit: looks like he stopped a few years ago: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=269963

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
FYI they released Patch 3.4 for AP and TC (only engine improvements though).
Rebirth also got an Update (4.3), but thats mostly better support for HOTAS.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Is there like a threat like in space rangers 2 that is taking over the galaxy or are you just attacking and building things for the sake of attacking and building ?

Turjan

Arcane
Is there like a threat like in space rangers 2 that is taking over the galaxy or are you just attacking and building things for the sake of attacking and building ?
X3:TC has the Khaak plot (Operation: Final Fury), which means that random sectors will be completely razed occasionally by Khaak fleets jumping in, until you put an end to this a the end of the Khaak plot. This is one of five main plots the game has. All of them are just chains of missions though, so nothing very elaborate, even if they may take hundreds of hours. There are also these low-key inter-racial wars going on between the usual suspects (Argon vs. Paranid and Boron vs. Split). You also have the Xenon fleets going regularly through the sectors that connect their own areas. All in all, the universe is more or less static because of the spawn mechanics. You need mods to change that.

X3:AP has the Argon-Terran War going on, which is also more or less static. The less I tell about that retarded story, the better.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
If you want a more dynamic Universe, where you are actually on a clock, play the Litcube Universe Mod.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone still playing this? I feel the itch to go back to it. Problem is I had performance issues. I've got a:
i7 2.7ghz
Win 7 64bit - not bogged down with crap
12gb DDR3 ram
x2 amd5870 vid cards
SSD (forgot performance) but it's pretty good

And the game plays like shit once I get 40+station complex and with multiple enemies on screen. According to the Steam forums the bottleneck is the CPU, and I'd be better of with a single all-powerful processor. I was also running the Star Wars mod.

Thane Solus

Arcane
Anyone still playing this? I feel the itch to go back to it. Problem is I had performance issues. I've got a:
i7 2.7ghz
12gb DDR3 ram
x2 amd5870 vid cards

And the game plays like shit once I get 40+station complex and with multiple enemies on screen. According to the Steam forums the bottleneck is the CPU, and I'd be better of with a single all-powerful processor. I was also running the Star Wars mod.

Bottleneck is shit programming from EGOsoft. They still left major bugs in the game that causes huge performance issues, one with the complex pipes, fixed only by mods, and the other one is the generation of some missions, kills the performance on background, by removing those certain mission generation you get a boost in performance. But then you also need somehow fix in system combat, with bounce, that doesn't help completely. Basically the game is broken, if you are not playing from outside the system on major fleet battles.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i7 2.7ghz
12gb DDR3 ram
x2 amd5870 vid cards

Bottleneck is shit programming from EGOsoft. They still left major bugs in the game that causes huge performance issues, one with the complex pipes, fixed only by mods, and the other one is the generation of some missions, kills the performance on background, by removing those certain mission generation you get a boost in performance. But then you also need somehow fix in system combat, with bounce, that doesn't help completely. Basically the game is broken, if you are not playing from outside the system on major fleet battles.

Terrible news. This franchise replaced my Mechwarrior fix. I get such a stiffy playing it with the Star Wars mod, that after 4 hours I have to look at the latest news of Theresa May and Brexit to prevent priapism. Egosoft are essentially Bethsda then - in that the community need to refurbish their games, but even after 5 years cannot polish a turd.
:negative:

Thane Solus

Arcane
i7 2.7ghz
12gb DDR3 ram
x2 amd5870 vid cards

Terrible news. This franchise replaced my Mechwarrior fix. I get such a stiffy playing it with the Star Wars mod, that after 4 hours I have to look at the latest news of Theresa May and Brexit to prevent priapism. Egosoft are essentially Bethsda then - in that the community need to refurbish their games, but even after 5 years cannot polish a turd.
:negative:

You can still play with mods, but expect some of the features to be broken. Large fleet combat is usually made with the sector map while you are not on the system, medium to small combat you can do it normal...if you have bounce, and even with that, watch your destroyers fuck around like idiots sometimes...

Its somewhat fun and grindy, to play as a trade simulator, get a system, some complexes, explore, and then when you want to start a war, and see they cannot into programming collisions and pathfinding in space, you go insane...i probably have over 1000 hours of X3 all. With mods, and each in the end, i was trying to fix somewhat my experience, which i rarely succeeded. Is no surprise that in X4 the pathfinding and collisions were broken from the start, not even talking about cap firing and balance. When i was reporting to the "fans" on their forums, they told me to play the combat OOS. (out of the system) - after all those year man... Maybe in one year X4 would be a complete functional game, maybe...

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
X4 is a joke. The first few months they were pumping out patches every few days. Now, development is pretty much dead and the game is still an unfinished mess.

Lul X4 pathfinding is FUCKING SHIT. I thought it got better with version 2.0 but then I finally found that unobtanium shit to make a SETA and it's infinitely worse.

How hard is it to make a spaceship fly in a straight line and occasionally dodge an enormous rock?

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
X4 is a joke. The first few months they were pumping out patches every few days. Now, development is pretty much dead and the game is still an unfinished mess.

Lul X4 pathfinding is FUCKING SHIT. I thought it got better with version 2.0 but then I finally found that unobtanium shit to make a SETA and it's infinitely worse.

How hard is it to make a spaceship fly in a straight line and occasionally dodge an enormous rock?
This is an X3 thread you fucking weirdo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom