Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SaGa Series Discussion

Jinn

Arcane

In case anyone missed it in the Random JRPG News thread, English speaking people who don't enjoy playing games on their phones are finally getting Romancing SaGa 2 on respectable platforms! Only 24 years after its initial release!

Hopefully this sells well and leads to the release of Romancing Saga 3, and maybe even a re-release of Romancing Saga - Minstrel's Song in the near future. Regardless of how it does, I'm extremely excited to finally jump into what has been called the best SaGa game of the series. If you would have told me 10 years ago this game would receive an official western release, let alone a PC release, I never would have believed you.

Anyways, can't wait for Friday. I will be dropping anything else I'm playing to dig deep into this one. Look forward to discussing and enjoying it with you all.

EDIT: 2 years later, we are getting that Romancing SaGa 3 release!

EDIT: And now SaGa Scarlet Grace: Ambitions gets its Western release!

EDIT: The classic Saga Frontier gets a remaster with restored content and a new character scenario to play!

EDIT: The origins of SaGa!

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
While I want Romancing SaGa 3, Scarlet Grace is the one I want the most.

Expon

Scholar
I guess square wants to see if this sells well so they can release romancing saga 3 simultaneously rather than ios and android first, which is unlikely looking how it sold on vita.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess square wants to see if this sells well so they can release romancing saga 3 simultaneously rather than ios and android first, which is unlikely looking how it sold on vita.
Why the
rating_lulz.gif
friend? Scarlet Grace looks really cool and impressions from Japan are really good.

Expon

Scholar
Why the
rating_lulz.gif
friend? Scarlet Grace looks really cool and impressions from Japan are really good.
The game itself is indeed very well made, but the chances of it getting translated are slim at best. Romancing saga 2 and 3 have to at least sell decent in the west for square to even consider localising scarlet grace.

Shinji

Savant
Recently, Akitoshi Kawazu (main designer) was interviewed by Forbes, and apparently his favorite game is Ultima IV:

I loved games and sci-fi, and for someone who was strongly interested in computers, I thought that was absolutely mesmerizing. Of course, back then there were no such jobs in which one could create video games so I wouldn’t say this was necessarily the point that made me decide specifically to make games as a living, though.

My favorite video game is Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar. Until Ultima IV, there were only two things that a video game provided players: the satisfaction of winning, and basking in the sense of accomplishment after completing the game. There naturally were various ways in which you could achieve this depending on the game, but overall the ways in which you could enjoy games back then was more limited.

“I want to find the meaning of life through dancing”

Spoken by a human, or just a symbol of a human, and rendered by the low-resolution graphics of Apple II, it was the moment when the dancer in the world of Ultima IV and I first crossed paths. Needless to say, the world of Britannia in Ultima IV is a fictitious place and only exist in the Apple II, and the dancer and the dancer’s words are just a product of a person in Texas who worked on the game. However, it was Ultima IV that clearly showed me that a creator can fabricate things like that, and it’s okay to offer other things of value outside of just winning or reaching a goal.

Full interview:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...om-the-final-fantasy-games-to-the-saga-series

Jinn

Arcane
so anyone actually buying the game? releases in 6 hours!

Absolutely! Hope it actually releases at that time and it's not just a tease. I will be staying up very late playing this tonight (early morning).

Jinn

Arcane
The game is excellent so far. In the first two hours, my father has tried to teach me how to be a strong leader by leading me into battle, I've lost a character to permanent death, chest mimics have destroyed me numerous times, and I've inherited the strength and ability of my father on his death bed.

While the game and mechanics are sound, there are definitely technical issues. I can't full-screen the game without a window frame and there is some annoying mobile-esque UI that I can't get rid of. As someone who has been waiting for an english translation of this game for years, these are minor inconveniences that don't really get in the way of me enjoying a good game. The sprite work and backgrounds are overall very aesthetically pleasing though, even at high resolutions.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I bought it on Steam, despite some negative reviews.

Alt+Enter for fullscreen mode
Steam big picture mode for controller support.

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
I really don't understand why they localized all these ports, it has been released on mobile in English for more than a year, and I just checked the Google Play page for the game and it says it has 1000 copies sold. Ouch.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I really don't understand why they localized all these ports, it has been released on mobile in English for more than a year, and I just checked the Google Play page for the game and it says it has 1000 copies sold. Ouch.
It's also on iOS, which IIRC, typically has more sales than Android.

Also can anyone confirm if the translation is still godawful? The android version has terribly written dialogue.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
It's also on iOS, which IIRC, typically has more sales than Android.

Also can anyone confirm if the translation is still godawful? The android version has terribly written dialogue.
It is.

jungl

Augur
jrpgs with plot and dialogue what pushed them into the mainstream with games like chrono trigger. Older traditional jrpgs like dragon quest are best enjoyed when you want to role play a mental midget or a drooling senile old man.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
jrpgs with plot and dialogue what pushed them into the mainstream with games like chrono trigger. Older traditional jrpgs like dragon quest are best enjoyed when you want to role play a mental midget or a drooling senile old man.
Guess what bitch, I'm both of those things so I don't need to roleplay.

Anyone know how time works? I beat the game's intro and it went to year 1001, and then ten minutes later it was 1003. How did that happen?

Jinn

Arcane
Anyone know how time works? I beat the game's intro and it went to year 1001, and then ten minutes later it was 1003. How did that happen?

I've definitely been playing for more than ten minutes since it became 1001, but I went to the Goblin Hideaway instead of straight to the canal. Maybe it depends on the locations you visit?

Also, really hoping a mod comes out soon that removes UI "buttons" on the overworld and in battle. If not for those, most of the other UI is passable. Really don't like the look of weapon and magic skill/defense icons either.

Still, having such a great time with this classic game that my problems with the UI are merely irksome rather than a real problem.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
games alright a little too basic as far as saga games go. Last remnant was the peak of this kind of gameplay. With the super repetitive gameplay it is better off playing this with your phone when you feeling bored.

Jinn

Arcane
games alright a little too basic as far as saga games go. Last remnant was the peak of this kind of gameplay. With the super repetitive gameplay it is better off playing this with your phone when you feeling bored.

How far have you gotten?

jungl

Augur
I played it a little past the goblins place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom