Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Overall I'm convinced that I'll gonna develop my module using old Aurora toolset and basic version of NWN, however, for diligence's sake, I'll wait until Beamdog's newest, steaming shit will premiere and judge the matter then. I already have plot, setting and some other stuff outlined.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'm suddenly not hopeful that the upcoming Beamdog release will add nothing but a few new character classes and a shiny new filter to the proceedings. I am hopeful, however, that it will cause a new resurgence in community user-made modules.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
As Christmas draws nearer and nearer I find myself more and more lenient, so I’ll use this occasion to ask. Lilura, why haven’t you covered The Prophet series on your blog? It’s after all one of the most popular module series out there. Too storyfaggy for you?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I might review Prophet in the future but I won't be writing a walkthrough for it.

Here's a new write-up for a module that I think will appeal to Codexers who like "proper" D&D adventures. Just read the first two paragraphs; the rest is a walkthrough (there is a clear spoiler warning).

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
I must say that the Toolset is really much easier to use than I remembered it from the days long past when I first tried to do anything resembling a module (I was perhaps 12 or 13 at the time, so...). Even larger areas are easy to make and fill up with detail, I especially dig making city parcels. Dialogue writing system is also great, although I find the UI of the conversation wizard a little bit underdeveloped, or perhaps just badly designed. I'm constantly opening Swordflight, The Prophet and other modules to see how much better modulemakers did their stuff.

I have whole thing written down as a synopsis and bunch of area designs. Right now I'm debating whether limit player's option when it comes to character creation, whole story would work much better with a pregenerated one. We'll see.

eXalted

Arcane
The Toolset is great. It's sad that it's not optimized well for the new CPUs. Loading models is very slow sometimes, dunno if the Enhanced Edition will make that better.

I always liked pregenerated characters, because I'm a story fag.

grotsnik

Arcane
Dialogue writing system is also great, although I find the UI of the conversation wizard a little bit underdeveloped, or perhaps just badly designed.

I think one of the enduringly weird things about the NWN1 dialogue tool is that there's no one-click way to make conversation options appear once only - you have to add in a pair of scripts every time.

I'm guessing it's an oversight that came from the game's multiplayer focus, but it's such an odd little thing to skip that adds so much basic QoL. (Much like placing objects in the gameworld, the convo editor is one of the areas where the NWN2 toolset does actually make things easier on you.)

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems like Nwn 2 could have been an easier editor but for the complicated Terraforming.

grotsnik

Arcane
Yeah, and in retrospect I don't even think its terraforming tools were that bad.

Compare to later editors in the same vein like the Dragon Age toolset (where you needed to tediously render each area's lighting before it was properly useable, making testing a nightmare) and the various Bethesda editors (where you had to tediously generate your own walkmeshes, and only a certain amount of landscape would visibly load at once), and you can actually crank out a perfectly playable exterior NWN2 area at speed, without difficulty.

The real problem isn't that the tools are hard to use themselves, it's that - thanks to soupy, stretched textures and ugly default lighting - it's too easy to put an hour or two of work into something that ends up looking like a total eyesore.

Why go through that when you can just toss down a bunch of exterior tiles in NWN1 and be done?

That's not to say that you can't make an decent-looking exterior in NWN2. One of the smartest things Obsidian did was release a patch with a 'reduce colour saturation' mode, which helps to avoid areas like...well, this:

maxresdefault.jpg

eXalted

Arcane
The only bad thing for me in the NWN editor is that you can't pass parameters to script. It would have made module building even faster.

Lhynn

Arcane
This pack is a piece of shit designed for morons who like their games and their modding actvity to resemble this big, deformed, swollen mass that is Elder Scrolls modding scene and modding packs which put EVERYTHING into themselves to appease idiots.
Uh? this is actually all 3.5 content from pnp.

Also why would it matter what he thinks? what fight are you talking about you retard?

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Uh? this is actually all 3.5 content from pnp.
Made for a game not in any part desgned to operate with it. Introducing it would require rebalancing the whole thing, you catatonic bimbo who as I see is now rating my posts retarded here and there for no reason.

Also why would it matter what he thinks? what fight are you talking about you retard?
What maker of the Swordflight module series matters more than you ever will :lol: .

DeepOcean

Arcane
I must say that the Toolset is really much easier to use than I remembered it from the days long past when I first tried to do anything resembling a module (I was perhaps 12 or 13 at the time, so...). Even larger areas are easy to make and fill up with detail, I especially dig making city parcels. Dialogue writing system is also great, although I find the UI of the conversation wizard a little bit underdeveloped, or perhaps just badly designed. I'm constantly opening Swordflight, The Prophet and other modules to see how much better modulemakers did their stuff.

I have whole thing written down as a synopsis and bunch of area designs. Right now I'm debating whether limit player's option when it comes to character creation, whole story would work much better with a pregenerated one. We'll see.
Yep, I've been playing with a story and the more I think of it, it would just better to make a pregenerated character, it is really, really hard to generate a driving motivation for a blank state, you really risk getting a passive character that is just an errand boy and do what the other characters tell him to do, what I really don't like.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Feel free to vote on the other poll.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom