Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How's WoW nowadays?

I haven't played since...06/07. How's the game any different? I have a 65 UD rogue, will I be able to find parties for instances, or is it all endgame now?

More importantly: Has the game been dumbed-down even more since I left? I vaguely remember some conflict about PvP being too hard or something.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finding a group depends on your faction and server, but in my experience it's hard to find a group for low-mid 60's stuff unless you're in a guild.

It depends on what you mean by 'dumbed-down'. Getting better gear is easier now, but that's mainly because WotLK is coming out soon and the devs want everyone to be on more or less equal footing.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I haven't played for a while too, but I did have two level 70's, one of which is an ex-raider. I recall finding groups for instances pre-70 somewhat hard, but that shouldn't trouble you: it's not like the instances are worth doing until you're 70 and can do heroic to collect badges.

Given the list of items I've seen on the badge vendor, I'd say you can get some really good gear a lot more easily now. Man, if only I weren't an idiot and didn't buy those badge fire resist gear I ended up never using...

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Xor said:
the devs want everyone to be on more or less equal footing.
It's an RPG. It's primarily about levelling up. How the hell does it work if everyone is on equal footing? What's the fucking point?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
it's to show that the devs cared DU. The last on the list of priorities is to please the casuals who got left behind by the e-peen raiders. once the raiders have 3-6 months to shine their E-peen and display it to the whole server, Blizzard decided to tell the casuals 'hey we didn't forget you man' by introducing daily gold dispensers, cheaper epics and easier instances. By then the Hardcores would be out of content and cut off subscription anyway till Wrath of the Lich King is out . More mobs to raid, yayyyyy!

Texas Red

Whiner
Lesifoere said:
but I did have two level 70's, one of which is an ex-raider.

You're a bit on the nerdy side, aren't you?

Why would you want to continue playing a character that is completely done anyway? In NWN RP persistent worlds I could understand that; players had actual guilds to manage, responsibilities and parts in stories. In fact, the RP part I see as inherently important, just leveling and grinding is not enough.

Korgan

Arbiter
Got a paladin on a PvE to 35 recently, but didn't buy more time, as I'm switching to AoC soon. Looks awesome, plays grindy enough but fun in groups. Unfortunately, the instances seem to become more and more like work as you progress. And PvP is kinda imba - why do subtlety rogues suck and huntards rule so much? Blizzard, like someone said at RPS a while back, took a concept and polished it to no end. Unfortunately the concept was invented by Kim Jong Il and is actually a North Korean secret superweapon of mass boredom.

psycojester

Arbiter
Huntards are definitely OPed, but so are all forms of rogue. Seriously fuck Cloak of Shadows.

Personally i find the grind to be tedious as shit and if you're playing for that you deserve rectal leakage, but i'm enjoying raiding endgame and my guild is getting close to weeding out the last few fucktards that need to be kicked out. For me the fun in the game is raiding with a competent guild and doing 5 mans with RL friends of mine that play on the server.

4/5 Hyjal
3/9 Black Temple

Check out my E-peen http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Immalek

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why are you affliction spec? I was under the impression that destro gives better DPS.

LRP

Novice
Any pre Burning Crusade stuff is very easy to fly through solo, so making it easy to do the BC expac. I would say instancing bellow Outlands is almost non existent because it is irrelevant, unless you and buddies just want to take a tour for old time's sake. The game has been pretty gutted pre Outlands.

Otherwise, remains pretty much the same old boring stuff, grind grind, level level, the fun being in who you hang out with and getting with good enough people to make the raids, instances kind of fun, for a time at least, in Outlands.

Lesifoere and Dark Individual say it all IMHO

merry andrew

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
Xor said:
the devs want everyone to be on more or less equal footing.
It's an RPG. It's primarily about levelling up. How the hell does it work if everyone is on equal footing? What's the fucking point?
They want to appeal to different playstyles. I used to dislike WoW because I played it as an RPG, but now I play it as a pew pew competitive game and it's way fun.

Annonchinil

Scholar
How are the other MMO's like EVE, Lineage 2, LOTR and FFX1? Since everybody seems to be drinking that MMO koolaid I want some too. Oh and how is AoC?

Edit: And before you complain about 'grind' I prefer hunting monsters than running back to town half the time to turn in a quest with a shitty plot. So I don't mind good grind (challenging) or good quests.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Annonchinil said:
How are the other MMO's like EVE, Lineage 2, LOTR and FFX1? Since everybody seems to be drinking that MMO koolaid I want some too. Oh and how is AoC?

Edit: And before you complain about 'grind' I prefer hunting monsters than running back to town half the time to turn in a quest with a shitty plot. So I don't mind good grind (challenging) or good quests.

www.playrohan.com

psycojester

Arbiter
Xor said:
Why are you affliction spec? I was under the impression that destro gives better DPS.

Because destro is as boring as shit to play. Also Affliction is still viable DPS up until around the sunwell plateau level of raiding, as it stands now i'm still normally in the top string of our dps for most raids.

ushdugery

Scholar
They should introduce a plugin for it which is a meat grinder on your desk and you use it to grind (read:play) and that way you can be productive while you waste your money on what is basically msn with levels.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
And here I was so proud of my Winterspring mount and they had to make it fucking easy for any moron to get...

Xor

Arcane
psycojester said:
Xor said:

Because destro is as boring as shit to play. Also Affliction is still viable DPS up until around the sunwell plateau level of raiding, as it stands now i'm still normally in the top string of our dps for most raids.

Ah. Makes sense.

skyway said:
you're such damn nerds.

Damn right.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Damn, I'm happy I'm no longer raiding, because I agree: straight-up destro is boring as fuck. My warlock's still SM/Ruin. :/

AzraelCC

Scholar
Off topic: Does anybody here play D&D online? I'm considering playing since it's set in Eberron (which I love). Any thoughts?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I can't help but think that D&D mechanics in an MMO is a recipe for absolute non-fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom