Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Nope. Not this time ADOM. I've farmed my last god damned herb.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Already refunded it again... Did he literally slap on Not Eye and sell it as an improvement?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS RECENT DCSS UPDATES

WHEN YOY PICK UP WANDS THEY MERGE CHARGES WUTH OLD WANDS AND NO MORE RECHARGING

ONLY ONE WAY STAIRCASES IN TOMBS

ZIN NO LONGER HAS REMOVES ALL MUTATIONS ABILITY THRY ARE JUST REMOVRD OVER TIME

ALL FOOD IS MERGED INTO RATIONS BUT HAS DIFFERENT TILES BEFORE YOU PICK THEM UP

THOSE ARW THE ONES I NOTICEX TGE MOSY

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
And people said I was paranoid when I predicted that DCSS is evolving into an auto-win game... they are systematically Sawyering it in the name of 'streamlining'.

Remember when you had to identify wands? Jasede farm remembers.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Qud is... gud.

Also confession time -- Cogmind was the first game I have ever refunded on Steam. An inventory-based system where the item management feels tedious is just not my idea of a fun rogue-like. Too much equipping and and re-equipping and such.

A true bro. Cogmind is sadly not fun

PrettyDeadman

BROS RECENT DCSS UPDATES

WHEN YOY PICK UP WANDS THEY MERGE CHARGES WUTH OLD WANDS AND NO MORE RECHARGING

ONLY ONE WAY STAIRCASES IN TOMBS

ZIN NO LONGER HAS REMOVES ALL MUTATIONS ABILITY THRY ARE JUST REMOVRD OVER TIME

ALL FOOD IS MERGED INTO RATIONS BUT HAS DIFFERENT TILES BEFORE YOU PICK THEM UP

THOSE ARW THE ONES I NOTICEX TGE MOSY
Are those good changes or bad SJW changes?

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Searched the thread and didn't find it. So here it is

The second game of the genre I liked for long enough to complete. The first was Rogue Legacy. Anyway there are two classes in this, a third one will be added since it's still in early access. You don't actually explore the world but you go from encounter to encounter, choosing paths. The encounters can be monsters which come alone or in groups, a trader and some other surprises.
You don't fight yourself but you use cards from your deck. You start with few and you add more by killing enemies, buying them. You can also upgrade each card one time. There are cards for actions like attacks or blocks, cards for powers you get the gist.
It has three levels, at the end of each is a boss. Can be very challenging if you are unlucky or build your deck without synergies. You also find relics that give you passive traits for the rest of your run but after you finish it you lose them.
Overall a worthy game in my opinion.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
It's a rogue-lite but and in EA but there's been nearly daily patches on the beta branch and weekly ones on normal, which is nice. Game is already pretty good.

hackncrazy

Savant
And people said I was paranoid when I predicted that DCSS is evolving into an auto-win game... they are systematically Sawyering it in the name of 'streamlining'.

Remember when you had to identify wands? Jasede farm remembers.

I always liked how DCSS began it's "Non-boredom" updates removing a lot of branches that had 5000 levels, making it a maximum 5. On the other hand, I agree that some gameplay changes are too much in terms of simplification. I hope they can evaluate their future decisions better.

hackncrazy

Savant
ADOM 3.0.6 released to the general public!

Hi everyone!

We start the new year with getting things out of the way: ADOM 3.0.6 now is available as a free download to the general public:

With this release our crowdfunding campaign comes full circle: We are officially done!

From now on we will focus our development effort on Ultimate ADOM and run ADOM in a kind of support mode (which means: it gets about 20% of our time for attention to fix bugs and add new features and content). Releases of ADOM will happen on Steam first (because it's technically much easier to do so) and then after a while also on IndieDB (but probably not every release but just the major ones).

If you would like to enjoy all the features of the Deluxe version of ADOM (the one on Steam) you still have a couple of ours left to get the best entry price in our Steam sale (which soon will be over). Utilize it right away!

And now have fun playing!

Thomas & Team ADOM

:salute::incline::dance:

Bros, you really need to try Adom now:

1. There is 8 new areas!

2. New crowning gifts!

3. 38 new artifacts!

:bounce:

I really wish for a day when I can play and be good at Adom.

I tried several times but the boredom and the huge fucking wall for new players always kept me away.

hackncrazy

Savant
Qud is... gud.

Also confession time -- Cogmind was the first game I have ever refunded on Steam. An inventory-based system where the item management feels tedious is just not my idea of a fun rogue-like. Too much equipping and and re-equipping and such.

I haven't got to the point of refunding it, but I admit that I got really disappointed with the game. I always read the developer blog and reddit posts about how much he wanted to make a "boredom free" game (that's why we have a low number of floors in the dungeon, possibility for different builds, even finishing the game without killing a single enemy and such), but I also hated how the itemization works in the game. The item utility is not clear as I wanted to be, and considering that the inventory is extremely limited (at least in the beginning), I was frustrated most of the time simply because I couldn't know what I should loot.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I would have thought the codex would have been thrilled about the recent DCSS update, for removing the fruits.

On the subject of Cogmind- I've had only a couple runs that got past the first couple/several (depending on if you're doing the optional ones) floors, and those were really fun. But I feel like Cogmind's early game is a lot more tedious than most roguelikes. I'm hoping this will change if I learn more of the hacking options, but haven't gotten around to investing the time to get there yet.

hackncrazy

Savant
I would have thought the codex would have been thrilled about the recent DCSS update, for removing the fruits.

On the subject of Cogmind- I've had only a couple runs that got past the first couple/several (depending on if you're doing the optional ones) floors, and those were really fun. But I feel like Cogmind's early game is a lot more tedious than most roguelikes. I'm hoping this will change if I learn more of the hacking options, but haven't gotten around to investing the time to get there yet.

I haven't refunded the game because I feel that a lot of the boredom I'm feeling is simply because of lack of knowledge of the systems, which may get better with some more playthroughs.

But the initial picture doesn't seem that encouraging.

getter77

Augur
Yep, Ultimate ADOM will supercede the earlier work on JADE that never made it out of pre-alpha once the ADOM Resurrection project and crowdfunding drive kicked into high gear----between their initial seed funding and ADOM itself continuing, the future looks bright for it indeed so long as they can thread the needle of the prospective incarnations.

McPlusle

Savant
Is there a point to the $15 Steam version of ADOM or is it just donationware?

getter77

Augur
Grants some extra capabilities/amenities as per the little section in the description above "Future of ADOM". I'd say it is worthwhile in the full measure of things, but there's always waiting for a sale and the like.

Suicidal

Arcane
Are there any rogue-likes or rogue-lites with interesting character building and turn-based party combat? I never really liked this genre but I watched some Slay the Spire streams and that game looked pretty cool despite the card-based combat (I prefer standard RPG combat to that RNG nonsense) due to how varied the different enemy encounters are and how many different builds you can make for your characters.

Is there maybe a similar game that has normal combat without cards and maybe even party members that join you along the way?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom