Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So what mods are worth having for this game now? if any ?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Have you seen the pitch document for BioShock? It lists most of SS2's mechanics and design choices, describes them as mistakes and then declares that the developers have seen the light and that BioShock is going to completely remedy those failures.
Why every time a developer comes with stuff like that, I have the feeling he is full of shit?
Well, not to be that guy but the ps:t pitch document is mostly about how generic and boring most rpgs are, and how ps:t won't be :M

I suppose it doesn't name any specific examples, but even so.

McPlusle

Savant
I got a $17 key for this. I'm not asking for this to be a masterpiece, but this is at least less of an insult to the legacy of System Shock than Bioshock was, right?

RoSoDude

Arcane
I got a $17 key for this. I'm not asking for this to be a masterpiece, but this is at least less of an insult to the legacy of System Shock than Bioshock was, right?

Yeah, that's exactly where I'd put it. Still doesn't even touch SS2, but worth playing unlike Bioschlock.

sparq_beam

Combat is fine. Nothing special powers are okay. I like these combo system thing going on and weaknesses and immunity. Could have been deeper, but overall combat is okay. Got a bit repetitive tho. Some guns are interesting. Glu gun is a cool idea.

Enemy variety and design is very weak. Sense of progression just stopped mid way because they stopped introducing new enemies. Early encounters are waaay more interesting, where you have to be effective and conservative. Once they introduce you to all type of phantoms snd telepath, and gain few more powers, everything become trivial and they compensate by spamming enemies instead of introducing new type of threats.

Spot on about the early encounters. Carefully fighting the first mimics was great, but by the end it's just regular stand up fights. It's rare to find an FPS that is careful not to give you too much stuff after the beginning of the game.

A user named cat

Blah. Played 2-3 hours and uninstalled out of complete boredom. No atmosphere or anything interesting. Exploring dull areas that feel auto-generated fighting fucking ink splotches with a marshmellow jizz gun and wrench. Are you serious? The bar is so low for modern gaming if this shit is really considered a decent SS successor of any sort. I'd rather play even the original Prey.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Oh, I forgot I owned this game. You are right, they were working on a (big) DLC despite the poor sales.
They mentioned in a video interview about planning to add a Survival Mode with all of the cut out features to the game, but it's been seven months with almost no news. I hope that the next Prey-related news article isn't going to be that Arkane is fucking dead.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I played no powers in my game and find it fun. Also the wrench is the most op weapon after the laser for the big enemies.

Ash

Arcane
Jasede Morgoth Citation needed on the DLC (please). It's been quite some time since release, I've heard no news of this alleged DLC, and the game didn't sell enough to bring a ROI.
Methinks it's dead.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Jasede Morgoth Citation needed on the DLC (please). It's been quite some time since release, I've heard no news of this alleged DLC, and the game didn't sell enough to bring a ROI.
Methinks it's dead.

There have been Bethesda games selling worse and they still got DLC.

Go dig up older interviews where Raph confirmed that DLC is in the works. That it takes so long is merely a hint that they're working on something bigger, a`la DOTO.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
There was pre-release interview with Raph about that in last April: http://www.pcgamer.com/prey-is-abso...d-is-impossible-to-finish-in-one-playthrough/

Maybe a standalone expansion like Death of the Outsider? DotO's announcement (E3) was 7 months after the release of Dishonored 2, and its release was 10 months after.

(Though I won't exclude the possibility of it being canceled, especially considering recent departures including Raph.)

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Methinks it's dead.

There have been Bethesda games selling worse and they still got DLC.

Go dig up older interviews where Raph confirmed that DLC is in the works. That it takes so long is merely a hint that they're working on something bigger, a`la DOTO.

Sorry, but this post absolutely *screams* 'fabulously optimistic'.

You're taking as evidence interviews from just before the game released? Before the head of the studio left suddenly after release and before a lot of the talent moved onto pastures new?

'It's taking a long time because it's going to be something big' is reasoning beyond optimistic and into delusional. It's a shame as I really liked Prey, especially the first 3/4 of it, but the chance of seeing any DLC seems remote at best.

:negative:

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The amount of fun in the game and how much ammo you end up having etc... largely depends if you luck out on correct build if your playing on harder difficulties. Your build as with many games will make it easy/hard/frustrating etc... But in general I'd say the game is overall pretty good except for god awful combat for an fps game.

Hines

Savant
There was pre-release interview with Raph about that in last April: http://www.pcgamer.com/prey-is-abso...d-is-impossible-to-finish-in-one-playthrough/

Maybe a standalone expansion like Death of the Outsider? DotO's announcement (E3) was 7 months after the release of Dishonored 2, and its release was 10 months after.

(Though I won't exclude the possibility of it being canceled, especially considering recent departures including Raph.)
The last time anyone at Arkane openly talked about DLC was in a July PC Gamer feature, with a developer who has since left the studio:

With Prey now almost two months post-release, Arkane is currently hard at work on its proposed DLC. Shain remains tight-lipped about what exactly that entails, however is certain the archetypal Gloo Cannon has cemented its place in the game's future.

"I don't have any definite news to share with any of that but I do think it's safe to say the Gloo Cannon is a really important feature in Prey and I think it'll always be an important feature in Prey," says Shain. "We like to talk about the key features of the game that really separate it apart. We know that Mimic is one of them and that Gloo Cannon is one of them."

McPlusle

Savant
I really don't want to say I'm disappointed in Prey so far (an hour in) because it's not System Shock 2, but goddamn is this game not System Shock 2, as much as it wants to be. It's also infinitely easier (on normal) than SS2, especially since I'm trying to be stealthy and the levels' "stealth routes" are so obvious they might as well have giant fucking signs on them. Hopefully I'll come around on it at some point.

You know the game is good when GameSpot gives it a 6. Played it several hours and it's a good combination between Bioshock, Dead Space and Fallout. Also kudos for the engine, the game runs great on my 5 years old potato.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I really don't want to say I'm disappointed in Prey so far (an hour in) because it's not System Shock 2, but goddamn is this game not System Shock 2, as much as it wants to be. It's also infinitely easier (on normal) than SS2, especially since I'm trying to be stealthy and the levels' "stealth routes" are so obvious they might as well have giant fucking signs on them. Hopefully I'll come around on it at some point.
It's useless to play it on Normal.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's useless to play it on Normal.
Yeah, play on hardest: It's still too easy, but at least you can die pretty fast.

Playing any modern AAA game on Normal and complaining it's too easy is just weird.. Unless you haven't played any modern AAA games.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Playing any modern AAA game on Normal and complaining it's too easy is just weird.. Unless you haven't played any modern AAA games.
Frankly most games that have good gameplay in terms of difficulty are perfectly fine to play on normal and the games that are braindead on normal just end up being mega tedious on hard. If you want to make shit combat even more shit by giving your enemies more hp thats your choice but thats exactly what "hard" does in AAA games. Better play them on easy so you don't have to deal with combat part of them at all or better yet watch cuscene compilation on youtube tbh.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Harder difficulties in Prey are typically plebeian "multiply hp and dmg of monsters by a lot hurrrrrr". Running on normal to make the game less tedious is a perfectly valid approach.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom