Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I want to enjoy thief, but I can't

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also i just failed casing the joint because some dude on another floor got alerted...:dealwithit:

classic

last time i played, i made a quick save a split second before a guard came out of a staircase right in front of me

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Also i just failed casing the joint because some dude on another floor got alerted...:dealwithit:

classic

last time i played, i made a quick save a split second before a guard came out of a staircase right in front of me
Similar thing here, i was jumping from rug to rug and Gareth decided touch the marble floor. And thus panic ensued on the upper floor, but i couldn't hear it and quick saved.

Also in the mood of bitching....fuck the lucky coins,fuck them with passion! The whole mission is kind of pointless,you get around 3000 coins to buy equipment for it,yet for the real thing you have around 1500. I don't get it. Also first timer will miss most of the lucky coins and endup with less than a 1000.

McPlusle

Savant
I'm pretty much in McPlusle's camp, I love stealth games (with Chaos Theory being my absolute favorite) so I went to play Thief Gold the past year expecting stealth gameplay. I didn't find that pinnacle of stealth that people claim, because Thief is after all a huge exploration game before a stealth one. The stealth segments are drawn out and far from each other. That's not to say I didn't like the game, I definitely see its charm, the immersion and atmosphere was top notch... but I felt like I was playing a more intricate Tomb Raider than a Stealth game. The stealth mechanics were solid but as I said, so few stances of them. Again, not saying it's bad (it seems heresy to not completely idolize Thief here) but it wasn't what I was expecting. I can understand why you would love playing this game in release date having no expectations of what you're gonna find there. But when everyone tells you that IT'S the stealth game, well, it's different. Expectations matter I guess.

I haven't played Thief 2 yet, I know that it's more focused on stealth so I might like it more, but I got kinda burned out from trudging through Thief 1.
I dunno, I think I feel more positively about the game than that. I don't objectively think there are too few stealth segments; it's just that the undead maps make it feel that way. Mechanically, I think the stealth in Thief Gold is infinitely better than any game to come out since (for reference, I've been playing Dishonored here and there at the same time and the AI is uncannily smart; the whole room knows where you are if you give one guy a sleep dart). That's why I get burned out at the undead parts. Because in those moments, it's something other than the greatest stealth game ever made.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thief is, first and foremost, a game about navigating a 3D space. While also not being seen by guards/undead/funny dinosaur things idk. You can mantle up ledges, carry boxes around to help you climb, use rope arrows to get up high places, etc etc. It's the insanely complex fan missions that drive this aspect of gameplay to the top, but it's already there in the original missions and an integral element of the series as important as the stealth itself. Thief is about looking at a cryptic map that gives you the rough layout of a place, then walking through that place, seeing some hard to reach high-up balcony, wondering if you can get there, and finding a way through careful exploration.

The large, mostly open levels and the tools you have for reaching out-of-the-way places are a defining characteristic of Thief.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Re. Undead in T2

Right, I forgot to count the
haunts.

Where's the one in Blackmail? That's new to me.

Esquilax

Arcane
There are haunts in the catacombs under the cathedral in Eavesdropping. Also spirit haunts patrolling the prison in Framed (although they are non-hostile/impossible to interact with), the ghost of pirate captain wossname in Precious Cargo and the apparition haunting the library in Casing the Joint.

One of my favourite ways to complete Eavesdropping was to bait the Haunts into chasing me up past the stairs and into the main area of the church. Once up there, I'd gulp down on an Invisibility Potion then watch as the Haunts ripped the Mechanists to shreds. By the time they are done, the place looks like a Slayer album cover. The only thing that gives them trouble is one of the Builder's Children that periodically patrols there.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Having an unpopular opinion seems to be a big problem on this forum eh? Even the mods are butthurt cunts.

saying thief 1 doesnt have water arrows is certainly an unorthodox opinion
I never actually said it doesn't. I just forgot that it did. It happens when you play something forgettable 30 years ago.

anvi needs another tag, maybe the Shitposter one, to truly warn the others he's a decline enabler. fantadomat might have been edgy in his first posts but he doesn't deserve the dumbfuck tag.
What do you think "the decline" even is? Because it has nothing to do with games like this. Thief was always just a basic action / stealth game. You can still get stuff like that.

marbleman

Educated
You forgot a few zombies
in Tracing the Courier. There are two in the cemetry crypts. Understandable since that mission is so unmemorable :D

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
And then this absolute retard sends me a PM calling my dumbfucking him "abuse of moderator powers".

How quaint.
How is it quaint? First off, a moderator is supposed to be an unbiased neutral participant in discussions, not a moron who tags people because they don't like a game you like. Especially when that person makes many good contributions that you know nothing about because you are busy being blinded by your own self importance. Secondly, a German should not be allowed to be a moderator at all seeing as you are all a) humorless cunts and b) proved to the world that you have no morals or humanity. Twice.

Beastro

Arcane
I remember thinking Thief 2 was better after completing it, but I can't remember a single level from it. Whereas, I remember tons from Thief Gold.

Really? It has so many unique missions, especially the second mission and the warehouse raiding punching in passwords and going from one to the other emptying em.

And then this absolute retard sends me a PM calling my dumbfucking him "abuse of moderator powers".

How quaint.
How is it quaint? First off, a moderator is supposed to be an unbiased neutral participant in discussions, not a moron who tags people because they don't like a game you like.

Oh, please. It's a tag. He's not banning you or resticring you to only one subforum or something else that is full on mod abuse.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

How quaint.
Maybe i will send to you a PM whining about your "abuse of moderator powers",after all i am fucked over by having the same tag as him. Can't you give him the "possible retarded" one?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Really? It has so many unique missions, especially the second mission and the warehouse raiding punching in passwords and going from one to the other emptying em.

This. Shipping and Receiving is one of my fav Thief missions actually.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

This. Shipping and Receiving is one of my fav Thief missions actually.
It feels most thievy,i really love it. Just going around stealing shit to pay the rent,nothing grandiose about it. Another great one was the rooftops one.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
How is it quaint? First off, a moderator is supposed to be an unbiased neutral participant in discussions, not a moron who tags people because they don't like a game you like.

When you say a stupid thing, and you get called out for it, but you refuse to admit it, you are Stupid, and others will call you so. It doesn't matter whether you're at school, at work or on an internet forum.

I call you stupid (and asked a moderator to tag you as such) because this is not the first time you say something like this.

Especially when that person makes many good contributions that you know nothing about because you are busy being blinded by your own self importance.

rating_citation.png

Secondly, a German should not be allowed to be a moderator at all seeing as you are all a) humorless cunts and b) proved to the world that you have no morals or humanity. Twice.

Here we go again with the dumb.

You wish for an unbiased, neutral participant in a discussion, then dismiss him because he's humorless, inhumane and lacks morals, or at the very least hails from such a society.

Aren't neutral, unbiased parties exactly that? Heartless, soulless, uncaring?

I never actually said it doesn't. I just forgot that it did. It happens when you play something forgettable 30 years ago.

So you played it 10 years before release. Yeah I guess that version might not have had water arrows yet.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

How quaint.
Secondly, a German should not be allowed to be a moderator at all seeing as you are all a) humorless cunts and b) proved to the world that you have no morals or humanity. Twice.
Are you a German mate? Seeing how you pass on both standards.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
* Can't take a joke
* Pompously accuses others of being humorless

This is prime stuff. :lol:
What joke exactly? Getting tagged as "Dumbfuck"? Because that's not a joke. And it also doesn't work on a forum because people are bandwagoning sheep.

So you played it 10 years before release. Yeah I guess that version might not have had water arrows yet.
Zzz

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

When you say a stupid thing, and you get called out for it,
What have I said that is stupid?

but you refuse to admit it, you are Stupid, and others will call you so. It doesn't matter whether you're at school, at work or on an internet forum.
I am not stupid and have not said anything stupid and you have never had the balls to ever reply to any of my posts in the past you snivelling little cunt. You only do it now because you are a bandwagoning little bitch like most people on the internet, and that is why biased mods who tag people is a stupid fucking idea.

I call you stupid (and asked a moderator to tag you as such) because this is not the first time you say something like this.
You did it because you are a butthurt little cunt and you belong on reddit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom