Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted
Im a little afraid about the world size -16 square kilometers, thats seriously nothing. 4km by 4km, That's only 8 minutes to cross the map while galloping on the horse.

Quality > quantity ?

draug

Novice
The save system also looks fairly interesting. On one hand It limits save scumming, but on the other hand Im sure Ill end up losing an hour of progress at least once.

I'm also in love with how the fast travel works and looks.

Overall.... :bounce:

Sentinel

Arcane
It is a meaningful metric because it convey the scale. For example morrowind without the fog is a fucking small shitty island. But mentally disabled farage fans can't comprehend simple facts.
Shit man I'm sorry, I didn't know you were mentally disabled. I shouldn't have been that harsh with you. My condolences.

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted
also 16km is enough

Morrowind is 24km and that is enough, Kingdom Come is supposed to be 50 hours, so there is plenty of content !

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
also 16km is enough

Morrowind is 24km and that is enough, Kingdom Come is supposed to be 50 hours, so there is plenty of content !

I hope so. We will see soon. It still prevent verticality as even from a slight hill you would see far behind map, so either artificial map background, hills that obstruct the edges of maps, or lack of hills on the map. Luckily they didnt went the ELEX way and added the shitty fog to obscure the map.

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted
Oblivion was 57km and it was empty with trees only and occasional oblivion gate.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I will take 16 km^2 of dense hand crafted content, with very little "terrain-brush" geosculpted filler, over a sprawling world of generic nothing-ness every single day.

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted
With proper fast travel that you will actually use with pleasure there's nothing wrong with bigger maps.

Yea well it's an open world game, you walk everywhere on foot, it's not fallout 1 where you have whole coast of USA where you get pulled into combat into just 1 map type with random critters.

They would have to do a lot A LOT MORE to have a big map with an open world, they game would probably release in 3-4 more years.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Yea well it's an open world game, you walk everywhere on foot, it's not fallout 1 where you have whole coast of USA where you get pulled into combat into just 1 map type with random critters.

They would have to do a lot A LOT MORE to have a big map with an open world, they game would probably release in 3-4 more years.

Just space cities and points of interest and fill the space with forests and landscape[don't have to hand craft it like the space near the cities and PoI]. After all you can still hunt in the forest, the survival aspect is heightened due to longer travel time, ergo more resources like food expended, higher risk for bandit patrol encounter.After all this is a LARPing simulator.

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted
Compare it to No Mans sky for example.

You have whole planets proceduraly generated and there is NOTHING on those planets, you can walk without purpose just sight seeing.

Here you will have packed content (and I do not mean caves, dungeons etc like in Oblivion for example) I mean story content, NPC's, dialogues etc.

Kingdom Come should be bretty gud in this aspect.... the only thing that might suck is the combat, they should drop this 'we have real life combat durr' which will end up in button mashing (i'm 99% sure of this) and make turn based combat.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Kingdom Come should be bretty gud in this aspect.... the only thing that might suck is the combat, they should drop this 'we have real life combat durr' which will end up in button mashing (i'm 99% sure of this) and make turn based combat.

I hope the slow down before the hit/block will be completely optional and not inseparable game mechanics. I don't like it,it destroy the flow of combat and kills immersion.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I hope the slow down before the hit/block will be completely optional and not inseparable game mechanics. I don't like it,it destroy the flow of combat and kills immersion.

It slows down when you successfully parry, not everytime you block. It's a pretty subtle cue, especially compared to, say, Dark Souls 2 or such, I don't mind it at all.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That one trailer prolly cost half the entire KCD budget and the environmental graphics and vegetation are a generation behind KCD. The facial animations and the voice acting are stellar ofc but the budget for RDR2 almost certainly exceeds 100 mil. (the first game cost 100 mil.)

Makes you admire what Warhorse achieved with their measly pile of rusty coppers even more.

agris

Arcane
Patron
That's the problem of cramped worlds with small world size. Fallout 4 is best example, feels like theme park, where each 50m you travel you stumble at some fancy cave or sightseeing location.
Have you ever played Gothic 1 or 2? I feel as if they did open world very well, where the PoIs felt very natural and not at all like a themepark. They didn't repeat, feel formulaic, or incongruous with the land at all.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Ironically enough, KCD's open world has more in common with RDR than Skyrim, with its emphasis on more realistic scale and no dungeon every 30 meters.

And yeah, RDR2 looks nice, but let's face it - it will be systemically much simpler, less ambitious, and there will not be any choices and consequences, no deep RPG mechanics. And yet it has 10 times the budget of KCD, without hyperbole.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Talking about RDR I've still not even seen any gameplay video longer than a few dozen seconds. Still no idea what kind of game it is, fundamentally. I suppose it's like go to X, watch a cutscene, shoot a few guys, rinse and repeat? Or is it about conquering the map full of collectibles ála Ubisoft? Kindda fun but ultimately simple and shallow entertainment?

Yeah those two games are completely different animals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom