Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How's WoW nowadays?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just like MMO mechanics in D&D.

I'm really not getting into 4E.

ok so i opened up my account, a few days after the original post and played around a bit. the new dungeons are nicely designed, but the lore is being slaughtered. in the new expansion, for example, it will only take 10 men to kill arthas. and BT will NOT be upgraded to a lvl 80 instance, which is really shit. saw a video of a druid soloing ony, wow nice.

casuals getting welfare epics, dead world pvp, fucked up lore, whats the point?

psycojester

Arbiter
Shota Shernokavich said:
the new dungeons are nicely designed

No they really aren't. Apart from BT and Hyjal all the TBC dungeons are quite poorly designed. The 5 mans are just so goddamn lazy i really hope somebody got fired for that one. Basically its a straight corridor with 5 or so corners in it.

Oh come on, some of the 5-mans are quite nice. Mana-tombs and hellfire ramparts comes to mind. And I like the fact that they're all pretty much 1-way paths now, I remember the more 'complicated' 5-mans like ST where we would pretty much get lost trying to find some boss we missed :>

psycojester

Arbiter
I would like it if they'd stop using the Tiered gear set skins for the arena stuff, that annoys me. You raid BT and Hyjal you should be getting some E-peen cred from the stuff you're wearing instead of looking basically identical to every single arena scrub who bought points from a decent arena team.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
psycojester said:
I would like it if they'd stop using the Tiered gear set skins for the arena stuff, that annoys me. You raid BT and Hyjal you should be getting some E-peen cred from the stuff you're wearing instead of looking basically identical to every single arena scrub who bought points from a decent arena team.

They're making the arena sets different in appearance from the tiered sets in wotlk.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
All I know about WoW is I bought a $2.00 14 day trial DVD the other day thinking I could install that and avoid a fat-ass download. I installed it on the weekend only to find that it's version 1 and WoW now had to download a 500 MB patch to up to version 1.12.

I see that Blizzard are another one of those companies who've built their own worthless download tool. There's no "Pause / Resume", just "Cancel". Thankfully "Cancel" does only keep what you've downloaded but I seem to have to re-start WoW to get it started again so it can resume? There's also no way to limit the bandwidth it's spending on downloading so as a result, everything else goes ass slow.

I also see WoW is up to version 2 now or something and am wondering just how long this is going to take. What's the fucking point in buying the DVD when I could've just downloaded the latest fucking version for probably less MB than it's going to take to download the however many patches there are?

merry andrew

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
What's the fucking point in buying the DVD when I could've just downloaded the latest fucking version for probably less MB than it's going to take to download the however many patches there are?
Payment for not being Internet enough to download it in the first place. Don't worry, for that $2 you get 4 more days to your trial than you would've had if you'd just downloaded it.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
What's all those strange words you guys are using here? Do you belong to some ancient cabbalistic cult? Can i join?

Xor

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
All I know about WoW is I bought a $2.00 14 day trial DVD the other day thinking I could install that and avoid a fat-ass download. I installed it on the weekend only to find that it's version 1 and WoW now had to download a 500 MB patch to up to version 1.12.

I see that Blizzard are another one of those companies who've built their own worthless download tool. There's no "Pause / Resume", just "Cancel". Thankfully "Cancel" does only keep what you've downloaded but I seem to have to re-start WoW to get it started again so it can resume? There's also no way to limit the bandwidth it's spending on downloading so as a result, everything else goes ass slow.

I also see WoW is up to version 2 now or something and am wondering just how long this is going to take. What's the fucking point in buying the DVD when I could've just downloaded the latest fucking version for probably less MB than it's going to take to download the however many patches there are?

Try disabling peer-to-peer transfer, it frees up almost all your bandwidth.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
How about using app like Net Limiter? Isn't it an obvious solution? I couldn't imagine having internet without this tool anymore.

psycojester

Arbiter
Basically there is no point to the dvd, its just there in order to help market to the net illiterate.

If you're going to give it a try come play on frostmourne so i can mock and berate your incompetence.

haha i told this guy i would pay him 50g if he ran my twink thru VC. he believed me hahahaha

edit: every day i see more nubes with damn arena epics. pisses me off, seriously.

also i've reached 70 and horde loses every bg :S since when has this been going on?

J1M

Arcane
Shota Shernokavich said:
haha i told this guy i would pay him 50g if he ran my twink thru VC. he believed me hahahaha

edit: every day i see more nubes with damn arena epics. pisses me off, seriously.

also i've reached 70 and horde loses every bg :S since when has this been going on?
Sounds like you suck pretty bad. Better work on that.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Gnidrologist said:
How about using app like Net Limiter? Isn't it an obvious solution? I couldn't imagine having internet without this tool anymore.
I refuse to on the basis that I shouldn't have to. I tried looking for somewhere I could just download the damn patches myself using FlashGet but didn't have much luck. I see no reason for companies to have auto-update tools that download MB's of patches without providing the controls that any basic downloading application has today.

psycojester said:
If you're going to give it a try come play on frostmourne so i can mock and berate your incompetence.
If I ever get there. I'm downloading patch 2 now at another 500 MB. Hopefully the time I'm spending on this isn't coming off of my 14 day trial.

psycojester

Arbiter
DarkUnderlord said:
Gnidrologist said:
I refuse to on the basis that I shouldn't have to. I tried looking for somewhere I could just download the damn patches myself using FlashGet but didn't have much luck. I see no reason for companies to have auto-update tools that download MB's of patches without providing the controls that any basic downloading application has today.

psycojester said:
If I ever get there. I'm downloading patch 2 now at another 500 MB. Hopefully the time I'm spending on this isn't coming off of my 14 day trial.

Here you go http://www.fileplanet.com/100462/0/section/Patches all the WoW patches for you to DL and install yourself that took me all of 3 seconds of looking to find.

Code:
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dragonmaw&n=Veduci

Your gear confuses me, blues, veng glad gear and a hyjal fist? How'd that happen?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
That's horrible. Have you been so unlucky that you haven't gotten Handwraps of Flowing Thought from Attumen, or your T4 glove token from Curator?

Xor

Arcane
Every time Curator dropped my T4 token, someone else beat me on the roll. And we usually skip attumen nowadays, so we can clear to prince as fast as possible.

I had to PvP for a week to get the S2 dagger because I've never so much as seen Prince's dagger.

I'm just gonna get the T5 gloves when they drop again.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
psycojester said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Here you go http://www.fileplanet.com/100462/0/section/Patches all the WoW patches for you to DL and install yourself that took me all of 3 seconds of looking to find.
Yeah, I found several of those lists too except of the 28 patches, which ones do I need? Do they all install on top of each other or can I just get the 1 -> 1.12 patch and then whatever big patch after that it is that I need? In the end it looked easier to just let the auto-patcher do its thing rather than individually download 30 patches, find I'd downloaded the wrong patch and wasted the time anyway or downloaded hundreds of MB of individual patches when the bigger patch updates would presumably be smaller overall. By the time I'd found this, I really didn't care anymore (being half-way through a patch kinda makes you not want to download it all again).

UPDATE:
  • The update could not be applied

The file "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\World of Warcraft\World of Warcraft.lnk.Temporary" could not be created. If this problem persists, you may be able to solve it by uninstalling and then reinstalling the game. If you are unable to correct this problem, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (InstallerFile::Create)
Fuck I hate Vista. Mind you, failing the update completely because it can't create a shortcut seems a little extreme. Off we go to run it as Administrator...

EDIT: Yay, I got through that. I'm now downloading... A 923 MB patch. By the time that's finished, I expect I'll have about an hour or two to play WoW before my 14 days expires. You know, I bought the DVD to fucking avoid this. Can't they release an updated DVD? Is that so hard? Or when you buy the old DVD from the store, they give you an update DVD as well?

Texas Red

Whiner
Lesifoere said:
That's horrible. Have you been so unlucky that you haven't gotten Handwraps of Flowing Thought from Attumen, or your T4 glove token from Curator?

Please. Go discuss homemaking or something, you're an affront to all womanhood.

psycojester

Arbiter
Xor said:
Every time Curator dropped my T4 token, someone else beat me on the roll. And we usually skip attumen nowadays, so we can clear to prince as fast as possible.

I had to PvP for a week to get the S2 dagger because I've never so much as seen Prince's dagger.

Go get the Scholarly Wraps from the old badge loot vendor in Shattrath they're a bloody awesome pair of gloves, not sure how it is for mages but they leave the warlock T5 gloves for dead.

And Dark Individual fuck off back to torturing small animals or whatever it is you do to pass the time, nobody wants to talk to you now or ever.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Xor said:

Hah, we should be friends. I've seen prince's dagger twice, maybe, and was beaten on the roll both times. Gloves--Attumen never dropped the Handwraps, and I only got my T4 gloves after a long, long time. Even then, it's not a great pair. My guild, at the time, was 1/4 TK and 2-3/6 SSC. I think I took away fewer than three-four pieces of loot my entire TBC raiding career; my warlock's still in Frozen Shadoweave and Spellstrike. And wielding a Blade of the Archmage. ARGH.

Having quit raiding since, and returning to the game to a pretty mediocre guild (that isn't even capable of clearing Kara in one day yet), I guess all I can do is farm badges very, very slowly. (With PUGs, I only go into the easier heroics, meaning I'd be lucky to get five badges a day.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom