Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Surge - "sci-fi Dark Souls" from Lords of the Fallen devs

Arnust

Savant
So, a tl;dr about how it compares to Lords of the Fallen ?
Better in every single way, for starters. Except maybe the change from an unappealing setting to another unappealing setting for some. Want to know something more in particular?

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I simply wanted confirmation. Few last messages recommand it but they weren't crystal clear on how it compared to LoF, which I kind of liked but ultimately found lacking in too many departments. Feared that people would praise LoF the same way.
The emphasis some people put on the level design makes me interested. I'll wait for a sale though.

Arnust

Savant
I simply wanted confirmation. Few last messages recommand it but they weren't crystal clear on how it compared to LoF, which I kind of liked but ultimately found lacking in too many departments. Feared that people would praise LoF the same way.
The emphasis some people put on the level design makes me interested. I'll wait for a sale though.
The level design goes from alright to "some of the best in 3D soulslikes". If I had to connect it to another, the strict "one checkpoint for area", the focus in looping back to it, and the relative bigness of the levels, along sometimes encouraging backtracking with the new abilities that you got for some secrets and gear. SO if you didn't guess it, Demon's Souls and the ocassional later area in the series.

I didn't think LOTF was that bad either, having played it after Surge. The Gauntlet was easily the best thing. SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Free DLC is out, the enhancement update and big paid DLC are coming this year: http://steamcommunity.com/games/378540/announcements/detail/1470847889446311920

Unleash Fire and Ice with free Weapon DLC!

1507625200436-thesurgedlc_f-amp-i_title_hero_art.jpg

The Surge is releasing today its first post-release DLC for free!

Utilize your powerful exo-suit as you sever limbs, parts, and weaponry from your enemies using The Surge’s unique targeting mechanics and tight combat system.

This free DLC brings 10 new weapons to the game – 5 of fire and 5 of ice – and you will have to fight for them.

1507655009083-thesurge-weapondlc_02.jpg

Representing fire are the new MG-branded weapons. These high-tech military weapons are deadlier versions of CREO’s riot control products, capable of high physical damage with low elemental damage. Repeatedly attacking humanoid enemies with these red-hot blades will create a powerful fire-based explosion.

1507655028511-thesurge-weapondlc_04.jpg

Also available in this DLC, the ice weapons cometh! These are CREO’s space travel testing tools, concepts and prototypes constructed in their very own R&D labs. These weapons were created to test materials in the cold darkness of space, and can harness extremely low temperatures.

They are not designed for combat, however, so they have low physical damage but high elemental damage. Wielding these weapons provide a passive bonus to health.

1507655222787-thesurge-weapondlc_06.jpg

Once the DLC is installed, consult the security memo and the CREO newsletter added to your inventory's Organizer, and use their clues to locate these 10 deadly weapons and tear them from the limbs of your foes!

This is just the beginning – the Surge’s upcoming Premium DLC ‘A Walk in the Park’ releases later this year.
Players will be able to get new weapons, fight new enemies, and explore an abandoned amusement park. This will also include a new free content update that improves the end-game experience for high-level players.

The Surge’s Fire and Ice Weapons Pack is now available for free! Get the free DLC here:

And we're happy to celebrate the release of the DLC with an exclusive 50% off on the Surge during this week's Steam Midweek Madness!

1507650279-the-surge-dlc-steam-1200x628-50.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Looks like this game was pretty successful for Focus. They're working on a new game with its developer Deck13: http://cdn.focus-home.com/admin/investor/communiques/CP-CA-T4-2017-30-janvier-2018-UK.pdf

The end of 2017 was also marked by the launch of a paid extension of the game The Surge titled: “A Walk in the Park”. This extension was well received by players and the press, boosting visibility for the Deck13 game. At end December, the game had sold close to 500,000 copies, making it one of the major successes of the year. The German studio Deck13 brought home several awards for The Surge: Best German Game of the Year, Best Studio and Best Graphics. The next phase of the collaboration between the studio and Focus will be unveiled shortly.

The new game probably will be announced at this upcoming press conference:

Games in production, a number of which have not yet been unveiled, will be presented to the global press on the occasion of “What’s Next for Focus”, the annual event organised by the Parisian publisher, which will take place on February 7 and 8, 2018 in Paris.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is Lord of the Fallen any good?

Never listen to hatorz or fanboys, always try shit yourself.

In reality it all depends on what you like about Souls-likes. If you see it on sale for 5 bucks or so grab it and play it. I doubt you'll straight up fall in love with it but there's about 50/50 chance you'll either hate it or you'll find yourself having surprising fun with it.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Never listen to hatorz or fanboys, always try shit yourself.

In reality it all depends on what you like about Souls-likes. If you see it on sale for 5 bucks or so grab it and play it. I doubt you'll straight up fall in love with it but there's about 50/50 chance you'll either hate it or you'll find yourself having surprising fun with it.

Then let's say if you like tense, 'weighty' combat, interesting story(telling) and atmosphere you won't find it in LotF.

Combat is the worst btw, it feels like play-fighting with two plastic figurines.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I like the first 3-5 hours A LOT, afterwards it declines but it's still decent, with some cool ideas...

What's stupid is that they managed to make a game where the first enemy in the game is a giant armored demon, but the end-game is filled with boring humans who insta-rape you. Feels very anti-climatic. :/

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I didn't like the beginning, felt kindda derpy, but later on I found out some thought and care DID go into it.

And lol to the retard above saying the combat is not weighty - it's like the weightiest and slowest combat in all Souls-likes. (Tho people generally say it's slow bc most people play Warrior with the biggest and heaviest axe; if you play Rogue it's actually pretty fast...and also 10x as tough).

Arnust

Savant
LOTF mainly made its buck, while not being an ABSOLUTE trashfire and being decently enjoyable and polished, its main push was being the first Pepsi to Dark Souls' Cola. I don't really mind it much; it's proven how much are Deck13 willing to scrap, change and redo between installments; more than From Soft across five games. They better justify the shilling and take LOTF2 or whatever they do next in this ramp up of quality, though.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
first Pepsi to Dark Souls' Cola

I don't really second this. As much as I liked LotF, Dark Souls is vastly superior.

LotF is more like a shitty no-name cola to Coke that doesn't really taste like Coke but it is sweet and fizzy it does give you some good kofein buzz.

Arnust

Savant
first Pepsi to Dark Souls' Cola

I don't really second this. As much as I liked LotF, Dark Souls is vastly superior.

LotF is more like a shitty no-name cola to Coke that doesn't really taste like Coke but it is sweet and fizzy it does give you some good kofein buzz.
Of course, that's just the expression. (Albeit both pepsi and cola are about as terrible in my book). Also, my mistake; LOTF 2 is in development but not by Deck13, City Interactive instead. Can't say I have that much of high hopes for it but "its production value will be way superior to the original", whatever that means. As for The Surge is concerned, I had my fun but I'd wager they shouldn't release any more content and instead just dedicate to the next. There aren't too many cracks to squeeze content in naturally and the interest of the first DLC, while surprisingly high, probably won't really hit twice considering even the most avid supporter will have had enough of it by now.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
LOTF 2 is in development but not by Deck13, City Interactive instead. Can't say I have that much of high hopes for it

Well the first game was developed together by the Poles (CI) and Germans (Deck13). When you watch the credits you see it was the Poles mostly responsible for the ideas and concepts and the Germans for the assets and production values.

Considering that the next game - The Surge - created solely by the Germans is a decline compared to LotF I actually have higher hopes for LotF 2 if it's being developed only by CI. But we'll see.

As for The Surge is concerned, I had my fun but I'd wager they shouldn't release any more content

The Surge definitely wasn't terrible but there were a few things I just couldn't stand. First, the environments are absolutely abysmal. The graphics and assets themselves are pretty good but the variety is fucking non-existent. Everything is just abandoned factory and the vicinity. Similarly the enemy variety is vastly reduced compared to other Souls-likes. Also killing basic bitches takes too long, that's a major flaw in any Souls-like. With the constant respawn and backtracking basic hollows in any Souls-like NEED to go down very fast otherwise it's just an unbearable drag. And also for videogames I prefer fantasy settings. It's more immershun with rings instead of "Trapozoid Energospamatic Vitality Ultra-Booster", with greatswords instead of "SERU HSS Overloader", especially when all those gizmos in your inventory are represented by some abstract pictograms and such. Just my personal beef.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
:necro:

Looks like this game was pretty successful for Focus. They're working on a new game with its developer Deck13: http://cdn.focus-home.com/admin/investor/communiques/CP-CA-T4-2017-30-janvier-2018-UK.pdf

The end of 2017 was also marked by the launch of a paid extension of the game The Surge titled: “A Walk in the Park”. This extension was well received by players and the press, boosting visibility for the Deck13 game. At end December, the game had sold close to 500,000 copies, making it one of the major successes of the year. The German studio Deck13 brought home several awards for The Surge: Best German Game of the Year, Best Studio and Best Graphics. The next phase of the collaboration between the studio and Focus will be unveiled shortly.

The new game probably will be announced at this upcoming press conference:

Games in production, a number of which have not yet been unveiled, will be presented to the global press on the occasion of “What’s Next for Focus”, the annual event organised by the Parisian publisher, which will take place on February 7 and 8, 2018 in Paris.

Gr8 news. For all its flaws I still consider the Surge to be a good game. Gave it a 3/4 on the goty poll. I'm hoping their next game has a deeper character progression system and less damage bloat.

Beowulf

Arcane
Gr8 news. For all its flaws I still consider the Surge to be a good game. Gave it a 3/4 on the goty poll. I'm hoping their next game has a deeper character progression system and less damage bloat.

Ahh, so you were that one.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lords of the Fallen must've sold twice as much though. Also The Surge is a decline compared to LotF.

The thing is, LotF was bundled a few times already, while the lowest recorded price for The Surge was 50% off sales.

Renevent

Cipher

I liked it. It plays very similar as you would assume to Dark Souls, though it's a bit more linear and the levels are not as well designed. Combat is slower and weightier than DS, at least it was for me since I went more of the warrior route. That said, it's still a good combat system and you get a lot of options/weapons each with their own attack animations and pros/cons. I liked graphics and thought the environments looked great, though I don't feel they were as cool or well developed as DS.

As for the story no idea...I mean the voice acting was fine but I didn't pay attention to it since only homos care about that shit. Incidentally that's one of my favorite parts of the DS games. Yeah there's a story somewhere in there, but the game tells it with the environment and the overall atmosphere. In that regard DS is done much better than LotF.

Overall solid game and worth getting especially if you can grab it for $20.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I liked it. It plays very similar as you would assume to Dark Souls, though it's a bit more linear and the levels are not as well designed. Combat is slower and weightier than DS, at least it was for me since I went more of the warrior route. That said, it's still a good combat system and you get a lot of options/weapons each with their own attack animations and pros/cons. I liked graphics and thought the environments looked great, though I don't feel they were as cool or well developed as DS.

As for the story no idea...I mean the voice acting was fine but I didn't pay attention to it since only homos care about that shit. Incidentally that's one of my favorite parts of the DS games. Yeah there's a story somewhere in there, but the game tells it with the environment and the overall atmosphere. In that regard DS is done much better than LotF.

Overall solid game and worth getting especially if you can grab it for $20.

I agree. LoF is better than The Surge.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
If anyone want to try LotF - grab clear version without DLC. Is that still possible?
Cause there is one additional dungeon in one of the DLC that have terrible performance that spread through the whole game.
Balls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom