Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll : Diablo 3.. To respec or not to respec?

Would you like to see respec included in Diablo 3?

• Hell no! What you see is what you get.. I can replay this game to death so WHO needs respec

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes! If I see a new build that owns mine I want to instantly be able to switch it up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shannow

Waster of Time
Raapys said:
Shannow said:
Raapys, you are against respecs. Why are you now for character-class changing? *whistle*
Or do you see (limited) respeccing as a so major change that it compares to class changing?
If they want to change skills, why not also be able to change class? Like I said, all the arguments pro-respec can also be used to argue for including a way to change class. So if we're gonna have skill resets why not also class resets?

If you give a man a buck why not give him all your money? What is the difference?
Um...scale?

Raapys

Arcane
Shannow said:
If you give a man a buck why not give him all your money? What is the difference?
Um...scale?

Of course, but so what? Must be fun to change class whenever too, eh?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Forget this argument. Blizzard will implement a one time respec per difficulty level. And then all you 'hardcore' motherfuckers would still cry over 'nubs overcoming skill in planning ahead' and change their spec in secret while claiming you didn't anyway.

yeah fuck all of you.
Wow > Diablo Roffles.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Guys, after giving it some thought, I've changed my mind. Say NO to respecs.

Think about it... it's a slippery slope.

First they will allow players to pay a bit of gold to avoid a lot of grinding. Then they will allow players to create whole new characters at a high level at no extra cost once you've leveled up past a certain point (they're already doing this with the Death Knights in Wrath of the Lich King). Before you know it, there will be no more level grinding, no more farming bosses for items, no more durability repairs. The core concept of the game will be corrupted and there will be absolutely no rewards for patience and determination. What's the fucking point of the game, then?

Listen to your fears. Do not allow Blizzard to butcher the last bastion of hope for hardcore roguelike fans who like fancy grafix and clickfest gameplay.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hmm, you almost convinced me to say "Yes" to unrestricted respecs.

Not quite though. I do find my original proposal too generous. Now I'm thinking one respec per level for a hefty XP price plus a gold price that increases with every respec used.

Binary

Liturgist
(posted this in another thread by mistake):

In the very very very very very least I hope there is a "commit" button... how many of you have clicked on the wrong skill by mistake and wasted a valuable skill point? I know I have

Shannow

Waster of Time
Raapys said:
Shannow said:
Um...scale?

Of course, but so what? Must be fun to change class whenever too, eh?
You do realize that you are following a non-argument here? I might as well turn the question around and ask (as has been mentioned before): "Why allow more than one char per player at any given time? Why allow resurrection of mercs? Why allow changing mercs? Why not drastically increase repair costs? Why allow for free identification? Why allow a softcore mode? Why not drastically decrease the chances in gambling? Or generally decrease the chance of finding good items? Why not make every distribution of a skill point cost gold? Why not give exp penalties for players who are playing their second, third, etc char? Why not introduce cursed items that fuck you as soon as you pick them up and are costly to remove? Why not halve inventory space and get rid of the stash? Why allow a player to have more than 20000 gold? Why not give monsters more instagib abilities apart fro lightning enchanted? Why not make Andariel immune to anything but fire damage on normal?...and so on and so forth"

Anyway, Blizz probably will introduce respeccing and until I played it and actually have some experience to judge it by I don't see any point in going round in circles anymore.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
My biggest problem with Diablo is the lack of respec. Because it makes it so easy to accidentally click on the wrong skill. There's no confirmation prompts, nothing. Just BAM. And it's permanent.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't really care, why not make a prompt?

Just "are you sure? y/n/never show this again" would be fine.

It's not like they need to make it Windows XP like. [Are you sure? Yes. - Are you really sure? Yes. - Are you sure you didn't mean no? - No, I didn't mean n- - OH, so NO? Okay, let's start from the beginning!]

Raapys

Arcane
Shannow said:
Why not make Andariel immune to anything but fire damage on normal?...and so on and so forth"

True, but frankly I'd rather it be taken in that direciton than the other. Diablo 3 isn't an isolated case( heck, we don't even know if it will have respecs yet ), this is happening to *all* games, and that's what's annoying me. Everything's becoming more and more 'user-friendly' and hand-holding. Soon it wont even be possible to make any permanent choices or mistakes. It will be like the famous Codex C&C without the last part - the consequences.

Eron

Novice
Hey, I got it.. Let's put a UAC interface into Diablo 3..

Ya thats the ticket!!

Diablo 3 + Vista! Match made in heaven..

Warning you are about to pickup a blue potion, are you sure you want to pick up the blue potion. Allow / Deny

My main argument is making mistakes is part of the pride of building a good character...

In NWN2, you can build a kick ass druid / cleric, or you can build a crappy druid cleric.. The fact is, it lets you make choices that are not optimal...

And this is my main concern.. So far all for pro respec just want fast easy lvling and gameplay.. Last post has it right..

Xi

Arcane
Armacalypse said:
This argument fails because of the fact that you can still have one character for each situation, it just requires grinding. But is grinding really the aim of the game?

Grinding is the aim of Diablo.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Grinding isn't the aim of Diablo. It's the aim of Hardcore Battle.net Ladder, maybe. Not everyone plays Diablo to grind Tristram and Mephisto a hundred billion times.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Eron said:
Hey, I got it.. Let's put a UAC interface into Diablo 3..

Ya thats the ticket!!

Diablo 3 + Vista! Match made in heaven..

Warning you are about to pickup a blue potion, are you sure you want to pick up the blue potion. Allow / Deny

My main argument is making mistakes is part of the pride of building a good character...

I wasted a skillpoint on my last Necro because I was hovering over the skill buttons and my finger twitched. This has nothing to do with "pride". Investing skills irreversibly is a major decision in the game and there should be a safety cushion - either a PROMPT or an ability to RESPEC (for a price).

I'd prefer both, actually. The more the merrier.

ushdugery

Scholar
Fuck allowing me to respec then others won't realise how good I am at grinding. I'm so fucking good at grinding that they call me the mince maker.My secret you ask?
Whenever I'm not close to a computer with the internet and a game that promotes repetitive grinding I actually carry a fucking meat grinder around with me. That's
right bitches literally grinding up chunks of animal flesh and bone when I'm about my daily business. I'm even designing a meat grinder plugin for MMO's it's gonna be
off the god damn hook. Mouses are a soon to be a thing of the past only "casual gamers" or as I like to refer to them "Bitches" will use them. I'm evening petitioning
game development studios to take out any pointless pieces of gameplay or story that gets in the way of grinding. This is the revolution mother fuckers deal with it.

aron searle

Arcane
ushdugery said:
Fuck allowing me to respec then others won't realise how good I am at grinding. I'm so fucking good at grinding that they call me the mince maker.My secret you ask?
Whenever I'm not close to a computer with the internet and a game that promotes repetitive grinding I actually carry a fucking meat grinder around with me. That's
right bitches literally grinding up chunks of animal flesh and bone when I'm about my daily business. I'm even designing a meat grinder plugin for MMO's it's gonna be
off the god damn hook. Mouses are a soon to be a thing of the past only "casual gamers" or as I like to refer to them "Bitches" will use them. I'm evening petitioning
game development studios to take out any pointless pieces of gameplay or story that gets in the way of grinding. This is the revolution mother fuckers deal with it.

You made me semi stiff, keep going.

merry andrew

Erudite
ushdugery said:
Mouses are a soon to be a thing of the past only "casual gamers" or as I like to refer to them "Bitches" will use them.
I read about that on slashdot but I'm not casual enough to have the link. I think the facts speak for themselves, well put friend.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom