Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
The having to maintain all your stuff (clothes etc) gets kind of annoying imo. I'm fine with having that in game, but as an option to turn off... Feels like busywork unless you really like that level of simulation.

Oh, also, it has that incredibly annoying dialogue timer thing like alpha protocol... But way harsher. Sometimes I barely finish reading the dialogue options before it runs out if I'm a little distracted. Other times (if you're just asking questions, not answering) there's no timer, so that caught me off-guard at first.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Probably already posted.. But from RPS's 'review'

It’s not a story that has much time for women. Since you play the pre-designated character, Henry, it’s down to the supporting cast to provide different perspectives. Unfortunately, female characters typically fall into the categories of maidenly love interest, prostitute or surrogate mother, in keeping with the portrait of a “purely patriarchal” society described by Kingdom Come’s historical database. I don’t know enough about 15th century Bohemia to address this, but I’m not sure the defence of historical accuracy extends to blokier character buffs like “Alpha Male”, which confers a +2 charisma boost when you visit the brothel.

Tedious macho elements aside, there are other questions about the depiction of the people of early 15th century Bohemia. During development director Daniel Vavra claimed that there were “no black people” present in the area of Bohemia covered at the time of Kingdom Come’s events and though the game doesn’t present the region as a bastion of monoethnicity, the issue of race deserves further examination. I’d especially like to read a critique of its portrayal of the Cumans, a Turkic nomadic people represented by other characters as vicious killers, who often feature among the ranks of your enemies.

Vavra has defended the research that went into the game’s racial diversity and apologised for some of his comments, and it’s important to note that the development has been a collaborative effort of more than 100 people rather than the work of one man. If Kingdom Come existed in a vacuum, the treatment of the Cumans might seem like a meaningful depiction of the othering of outsiders, which might in itself help us to understand characters and the setting. In reality, it’s reasonable to dig deeper into the game’s claims to accuracy in this and other regards now that the whole picture can be seen, and that’s something we’ll be doing.

Cant wait for the upcoming 8 article research essay.

Beowulf

Arcane
It's a glorious mess, as expected.

A4932EB20E631760B47ED4AEA55DFC9C105C0C8F

It's me, levitating on my trusty steed through the stable roof, on a quest to escape the castle in order to bury my parents' remains.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
... how are the rpg elements? Good like in Arcanum ...

serveimage

Ah the fun we have :lol:

Interesting - it appears you can dress as a soldier in a stronghold with probably a 50-80 men guard, and you won't be recognized as an impostor by other guardsmen. They simply pass you buy. I guess a Hitman-like cover system is too much to ask for, but it looks funny.

The system is somewhat complex though, your conspicuousness matters a lot, not just your disguise... If you have a low level of that, people just kind of ignore you even if they see you unless you do something to really draw attention to yourself and there's perks for it as well.
Otherwise you may have to have your face covered if you wear armor/colors for infiltration purposes.
And there's other stuff that influences it as well iirc. Haven't really tried it myself though.

LOL the NPCs behave like zombies from The Stepford Wifes.

I knocked out the neighbor, undressed him and wore his clothes in town. Everytime he saw me he started running away from me, otherwise nothing happened at all.

My mother did not bother that I carried his body on my shoulder while speaking with her, it didn't change a damn thing in the conversations.

pgH5NF7.jpg

Haven't yet managed to murder my father and lay with mother with his dead corpse next to us, but working on it.

Deadass

Savant
lol 50 fps everywhere with gtx 1080, i5 7600k and 16 gb of ram
wtf help

Try to take down shaders and lightning a notch.

all low still 50 fps gg

Wait, you have 50 FPS on a 1080 with all options low or just with shaders and lightning low?

Bc if the former then you should return your disguised Chinese Voodoo3DfX and demand a real 1080.

nope i'm not the only one with an op rig to have this problem, this game is optimized like shit

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
lol 50 fps everywhere with gtx 1080, i5 7600k and 16 gb of ram
wtf help

Try to take down shaders and lightning a notch.

all low still 50 fps gg

Wait, you have 50 FPS on a 1080 with all options low or just with shaders and lightning low?

Bc if the former then you should return your disguised Chinese Voodoo3DfX and demand a real 1080.

nope i'm not the only one with an op rig to have this problem, this game is optimized like shit

What resolution are you playing at?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
It's a glorious mess, as expected.
It's me, levitating on my trusty steed through the stable roof on a quest to escape the castle in order to bury my parents' remains.

I also noticed there is a false ceiling in the house of my parents, I suspect that's where he is hiding his gold. That's over the room with the false apples and onions and the false ladder. I cannot get on top yet but if I could ride a horse into the house it might become possible.

---

Arcane

It’s not a story that has much time for women. Since you play the pre-designated character, Henry, it’s down to the supporting cast to provide different perspectives. Unfortunately, female characters typically fall into the categories of maidenly love interest, prostitute or surrogate mother, in keeping with the portrait of a “purely patriarchal” society described by Kingdom Come’s historical database. I don’t know enough about 15th century Bohemia to address this, but I’m not sure the defence of historical accuracy extends to blokier character buffs like “Alpha Male”, which confers a +2 charisma boost when you visit the brothel.

Tedious macho elements aside, there are other questions about the depiction of the people of early 15th century Bohemia. During development director Daniel Vavra claimed that there were “no black people” present in the area of Bohemia covered at the time of Kingdom Come’s events and though the game doesn’t present the region as a bastion of monoethnicity, the issue of race deserves further examination. I’d especially like to read a critique of its portrayal of the Cumans, a Turkic nomadic people represented by other characters as vicious killers, who often feature among the ranks of your enemies.

Vavra has defended the research that went into the game’s racial diversity and apologised for some of his comments, and it’s important to note that the development has been a collaborative effort of more than 100 people rather than the work of one man. If Kingdom Come existed in a vacuum, the treatment of the Cumans might seem like a meaningful depiction of the othering of outsiders, which might in itself help us to understand characters and the setting. In reality, it’s reasonable to dig deeper into the game’s claims to accuracy in this and other regards now that the whole picture can be seen, and that’s something we’ll be doing.

Yawn.

titus

Arcane
Patron
The game has potential, but

- The lockpicking minigame sucks and gets old fast. I have to set my mouse sensitivity to low every time I try to pick a lock and even then it usually fails. The basic locks.
- The save feature sucks. Having to redo everything since last hour because all my lockpicks are broken is not cool. I've just quit right after finishing the second town.
Modders will fix it.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
The game has potential, but

- The lockpicking minigame sucks and gets old fast. I have to set my mouse sensitivity to low every time I try to pick a lock and even then it usually fails. The basic locks.
- The save feature sucks. Having to redo everything since last hour because all my lockpicks are broken is not cool. I've just quit right after finishing the second town.
Modders will fix it.

This is the first RPG where I play as an upstanding citizen just because of that :D

Azarkon

Arcane
Meh...I for one would lobby Warhorse and Smejki to consider not removing the save potions but making it MUCH more abundant - MUCH easier to make and MUCH cheaper to buy. To the point that it'd be hard to run out if you're not playing like a retard.

Because tension smension. First, if the game crashes or bugs out and you lose hours of progress it fucking SUCKS. Especially in an open-world RPG. But even if it's your fault and you do something retarded or simply forget to save....losing progress still sucks. But if Warhorse really think they can afford to piss off kasuals and konsolers like that then by all means, keep the system as it is.

But right now I'm seeing a lot of whining about saving. And that coupled with all the "awesome game but some bugs, 4/10" reviews doen't make it easier for the game.

A game like this would probably benefit from a quick save system, simply due to the fact that it allows people to experiment with the choices and consequences, which would result in positive word of mouth, provided the game can actually deliver on them. As it is, people are much less tempted to explore, because of the potential hours lost in frustration.

But given Vavra's game design philosophy - ie "best game is simulation of life," even having a save is, in a sense, violating the game's theme, so I think the current system is already a compromise.

Tigranes

Arcane
Isn't "experimenting with C&C" = save scumming?

I think people who are afraid of exploring because they might be 'frustrated' by suboptimal results should suck it up. But, yes, at a practical level, that means a lot of complaining.

That said, I'd probably vote for a simple quicksave system, and say that solutions like the save potion are really asking for trouble. There's so many reasons someone might need to just save.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Had the day off work so I played this most of the morning. Time for the hot take (TM).

Combat isn't bad, though the learning curve is actually more the character's learning curve than the player's. At the start, combat is fairly clunky - you only know a few moves and most of your opponents only know a few moves so a lot of the time it feels like you're kinda mashing buttons hoping to get the right outcome. I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing, however, because having smooth, easily-controllable combat from the very beginning would defy the character. Henry is a peasant who only first ever picked up a sword yesterday, when he first starts fighting with it he should be shit, and the only way he should be able to win is that his opponents also don't know what they're doing. After you get some more experience and better training and have the ability to do more things in combat it starts to get pretty fun and much smoother to control. But even at the start it's way better than the left-click spam of nu Elder Scrolls or the fast attack/dodge/repeat Witcher 3. Although the fact that early enemies take a million hits to down can be annoying. I think I get what they were going at - an early cutscene has Henry swinging at a stake in the ground with his sword and just nicking it because he doesn't know what the hell he's doing, so I think the implication early on is that your hits aren't solid, clean hits and so they aren't really enough to take down a man. But it feels Morrowindy to hit a guy with what looks like a blow that should cleave him in the shoulder and it having little visible impact. Still, overall I'm enjoying the combat.

As far as the story...well I'm a big fan of using the medium to tell the story and KC:D definitely doesn't do that. However, if you're gonna make your video game story dependent on cutscenes, this is the way to do it. The cutscenes are well done, with good writing and acting. Probably the highlight scene so far was the Hungarian army showing up. In terms of normal dialogues the writing remains pretty good, I just have two small problems. The first is the loading screens before dialogues. The vast majority of them are so quick as to be unnoticeable, however there have been several where it's a 5-10 second wait, which is kind of ridiculous. Still, there haven't been that many of those so it's not that big an issue. The second thing is that the lip synching ranges from excellent to hot garbage. I don't really care personally but if you hate jank, this might make you mad. The animations are OK, but the characters do have that thousand-yard-stare. We know that already though.

Historical accuracy seems pretty good. My immershun is well-kept most of the time, though the alchemy system is a little ridiculous (didn't know they had see-in-the-dark potions in the early 15th century). Also the combat, as mentioned above, sometimes stretches the suspension of disbelief, though I feel like it will get better once the opponents are better trained and armored. Lastly the one city I've been to (Rattay) definitely feels like there should be more people out and about, but it isn't too bad.

Game looks beautiful and I'm playing on low settings. Even with mediocre draw distance and low textures the world looks plush and green, and certain indoor places, like churches, really have a great atmosphere. My main complaint here is that SLI isn't working, because I'd like to see what it looks like on medium-high :negative:. On low settings with a GTX 670 I'm getting 40-50 FPS though so it's definitely playable. My main complaint at lower settings is that the faces occasionally and really obvious artifacts on them.

The character system is alright, but not great. Your attributes level up by using them, and every certain number of levels in an attribute you get to pick a perk. The problem is that it seems to generally be a choice between two useless abilities or one useless and one good ability, so I'm not sure how much character building the perk system actually adds.

They really hyped up the whole multiple ways to solve things aspect, and from what I've seen it's mostly true. You can usually use combat or diplomancy for most things, and many also offer stealth solutions. The diplomacy is decent too, it's not a simple mindless choose-your-best-persuasion-ability option because oftentimes, the ability you're the most skilled in is not the appropriate thing to be using for the situation. I've gone through most of the game with my intimidate as my highest persuasion skill but a lot of the time it actually works better to try to use one of the other skills and this always feels like it makes sense for the specific situation. Stealth meanwhile, seems fairly advanced for a game like this. It's no Thief, but both lighting and sound matter, and you can make yourself more stealthy by changing your outfit. My big complaint with stealth is the lockpicking minigame (which are almost always terrible of course). Maybe it's just that I need to lower the sensitivity on my mouse, but I find it exceptionally difficult to pick even easy locks right the first time, and if you break a lockpick even once it's basically an alarm to all nearby NPCs. Since early game stealth (with the exception of sneaking around potential enemies) almost always end with lockpicking, I've mostly been avoiding it.

The save system is mostly incline, since it really forces you to deal with the consequences of failure (although I haven't seen a ton of C&C so far, I do have hopes in the future as I've just gotten to the less-linear part of the game). I would like a save-on-exit system though for if I need to quit suddenly for whatever reason.

I know most reviewers early have said the game is bug-ridden, but I honestly have run into almost no bugs. Must just be lucky I guess, or people are making a bigger deal of it than it actually is.

Overall early rating is :4/5:. I am quite happy with my day 1 purchase.

Azarkon

Arcane
Isn't "experimenting with C&C" = save scumming?

Depends. It is when you're doing it to optimize your decision making, but not when you've already made a choice, yet want to see what happens when you make a different choice. I do the latter all the time - make a choice based on gut feeling, then load up to see what the other choices do, while still sticking with the first choice in the end.

It's just a way to avoid having to play a game many times. Which I no longer have time for.

Last edited:
Any reason why my FPS is locked at 30? Changing resolutions and shit doesn't seem to have an effect. I see no Vsync or fps lock options.

Beowulf

Arcane
I also noticed there is a false ceiling in the house of my parents, I suspect that's where he is hiding his gold. That's over the room with the false apples and onions and the false ladder. I cannot get on top yet but if I could ride a horse into the house it might become possible.

You are right, the roofs are fake. It's even raining inside.
5DF8AB0D0192663E68E7DA6EA9745039CD5248BB

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Are there any gypsies in the game?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected

You are right, the roofs are fake. It's even raining inside.
5DF8AB0D0192663E68E7DA6EA9745039CD5248BB

The funny thing is that Piranha Bytes has had this figured out since Gothic 1 if I recall correctly. Elex certainly doesn't have this. Even Bethesda can't fix raining through roofs outdoors.

This game has a striking resemblance to Oblivion. Did they do that on purpose? lol
If I had to guess, Vavra really liked the medieval Europe aesthetic of Oblivion.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Any reason why my FPS is locked at 30? Changing resolutions and shit doesn't seem to have an effect. I see no Vsync or fps lock options.

Do you have adaptive vsync or some such active in your graphics card/driver control panel? Could be that the game has it active by default, I don't remember.

You can also set max framerate to whatever you want and vsync off by creating a user.cfg in the kcd folder in steam and writing:
sys_MaxFPS = 60
r_Vsync = 0

in it. Obv. 60 max fps is just an example.

The only other possibility I can think of is that you're playing on console ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom