Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Dexter

Arcane

EuroGamer Deputy Editor Represent

I'm wondering if all of these people are just a bunch of racists who don't want People of Colors in the game, has Polygon contacted them to confirm yet?
kcd-historicalresearcybuew.png

Hans Capon bugs fixed in today's patch.

Playing the game again.
People are saying "Ginger in a Pickle", the mission after "The Hunt Begins" they supposedly fixed doesn't trigger with the newest Patch.

Last edited:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
There have been numerous undisputable masterpieces in RPG gaming, such as the strikingly realistic classic Gothic or its medieval counterpart Mount and Blade. Kingdom Come: Deliverance will not join their ranks; its surface is too generic, its presentation too provocative and its messages too obscure. Its take on the abysmal is an illumination in one person’s despair, but a paroxysm of another’s perversion. It will remain underground – treasured by the most avant-garde among intellectuals for its edifying if horrifying insight into the fundaments of human morality. Philistines and self-proclaimed critics alike will shun Kingdom Come, but you can’t fault them for that. It takes wisdom to appreciate its subtleties, and courage to side with the unpopular opinion. Sed domi maneas paresque nobis novem continuas fututiones.

Superficially, Kingdom Come appears to be a game which caters to the most proletarian among men; aloof critics dismiss it as such often without a second thought. As complacent as these self-proclaimed "understanders of history" are, they fail to realize that Kingdom Come is a cult classic, a chef d'oeuvrea buried under false preconceptions and unfounded criticism. This gem is hidden because it does not shine; it is buried because its tone is that of abyssal black. Kingdom Come pries into to the darkest corners of our subconscious, the most visceral of our cognition, the most carnal of our urges, and the most primal of our instincts.

As brilliantly put by Cattalus, "Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo"; to describe the artistic qualia of Kingdom Come would be to describe music to the deaf, color to the blind or beauty to the philistine. The painting speaks for itself, and it is up to the player to fully absorb its depth. Its sublimity will ever be debated yet always remain objectively irrefutable; the fundamental insight it provides into human and perhaps animalistic nature may shape the basis of RPG gaming for centuries to come.

In simple words: The game is garbage.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There have been numerous undisputable masterpieces in RPG gaming, such as the strikingly realistic classic Gothic or its medieval counterpart Mount and Blade. Kingdom Come: Deliverance will not join their ranks; its surface is too generic, its presentation too provocative and its messages too obscure. Its take on the abysmal is an illumination in one person’s despair, but a paroxysm of another’s perversion. It will remain underground – treasured by the most avant-garde among intellectuals for its edifying if horrifying insight into the fundaments of human morality. Philistines and self-proclaimed critics alike will shun Kingdom Come, but you can’t fault them for that. It takes wisdom to appreciate its subtleties, and courage to side with the unpopular opinion. Sed domi maneas paresque nobis novem continuas fututiones.

Superficially, Kingdom Come appears to be a game which caters to the most proletarian among men; aloof critics dismiss it as such often without a second thought. As complacent as these self-proclaimed "understanders of history" are, they fail to realize that Kingdom Come is a cult classic, a chef d'oeuvrea buried under false preconceptions and unfounded criticism. This gem is hidden because it does not shine; it is buried because its tone is that of abyssal black. Kingdom Come pries into to the darkest corners of our subconscious, the most visceral of our cognition, the most carnal of our urges, and the most primal of our instincts.

As brilliantly put by Cattalus, "Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo"; to describe the artistic qualia of Kingdom Come would be to describe music to the deaf, color to the blind or beauty to the philistine. The painting speaks for itself, and it is up to the player to fully absorb its depth. Its sublimity will ever be debated yet always remain objectively irrefutable; the fundamental insight it provides into human and perhaps animalistic nature may shape the basis of RPG gaming for centuries to come.

:bravo:

Kaivokz

Arcane
I don't know why that guy was complaining about doing the bandit quests with a sword/mace/axe. There are pretty easy ways to tackle them even if you aren't great.

For example, I did this: First bandit camp is right by a mine, fight in the mouth of the cave so they can only reach you one by one. Second camp, charged in at night and killed two while they were getting up (not the one who was in heavy armor), then dispatched another lightly armored fellow 1v2, and then fought the leader one on one. After that you should have pretty good armor, get it repaired and then you can waltz into a camp in broad daylight and swat bandits down.

There are hard fights in the game, though--I recently got ambushed by a band of 5-6 cumans at night, plus two archers off in the woods. They were fighting someone else, not sure who, but they shot my horse and knocked me off. It was pitch black other than my torch, and all of them were in full armor. I knocked down an archer in the initial confusion, but the non-cumans were getting their arses kicked and decided to run away (I don't know where they went, but some of the cumans ran off chasing them), and the remaining four turned their attention to me. I tried to fight and two yielded, but the remaining archer shot me in the back twice (I couldn't see where he was, since he was out in the dark forest). The second time he knocked me forward after one of my attacks and both the cuman swordsmen hit me with full combos, got me down to about 1/5th health. So I started running away, turning around whenever I got winded so I didn't get stabbed in the back, until I encountered another random passerby. No idea who he was, but he shouted about cumans and then tried to help me by attacking one of them. He almost died right away, but one of the cumans chased him off the road. I dispatched the one who stayed to fight me. At this point the sun was rising. I ran off after the other and stabbed him in the back. The guy who tried to help didn't stop running. Anyway, I retraced my steps and found a single sword on the path, but no bodies. I guess I just knocked them down and didn't actually kill any of the others, so I only ended up getting the gear from two, but at least I didn't have to reload an hour or so back.

Game is fun, and I'm pretty forgiving of the flaws in the combat. I mainly dislike enemy master strikes. The only way I've really found to deal with skilled combatants is to run into them and break their guard in the stand off, which allows for one hit and sometimes a combo (I usually do the down-left, stab, stab, since it's the easiest and shortest, to avoid interrupts). I know I've unlocked the ability to feint, but I haven't really figured out how to do it properly. Do you just hold down left mouse in the 'feint' location, then flick and swing from a different direction? Usually as soon as I start to feint the guy I'm fighting will stab at me, and if he doesn't he blocks anyway. The targeting seems pretty wonky with a mouse--up is easy, but I sometimes have difficulty getting it to switch between bottom left and bottom right with my mouse/desk set up. Is a controller better for combat?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
KCD is decent but confused. They didn't really think all of the systems through properly, like knocking out a random wayfarer knight gets you the best gear in the entire game and you are essentially invincible in melee combat against most enemies, melee combat also gets clunky and strange with higher level enemy AI since they can party and block your attacks very consistently, and aren't too fond of attacking themselves. I think Warhorse just wanted to make something amazing but they didn't really have enough time, money or developers to comb through the game proper and refine it's systems. It all feels incredibly stale and samey after 30-40 hours since as I said combat has no challenge, most of the quests end up as boring, no combat fetch quests with pretty empty dialogue and nothing incredibly interesting happens that often.

When you originally fought the Cumans who kidnapped Hans, that was awesome and challenging but that challenge falls flat after you get decent gear, and speaking of gear a large portion of it feels rather pointless. I have yet to see any reason to use anything aside from a sword since I don't like playing with shields and without a shield axe/mace is useless. Few enemies are armored enough to give a valid reason to use a mace and even then most weapons feel far too weak against my Piercer which I have been using for 15 hours now. Also, polearms. What the fuck are they even doing in the game? Carrying it in your hands at all times just feels weird and makes it a pointless class of weapon. Give me an option to use both ranged/melee slots to holster it instead of having to carry it in your hands like a idiot. Also, why would you even bother with sabres and hunting swords? They are just short swords with worse stab damage, I can't see any reason to specialize with them.

There's just way too much busy work and filler too. Go to combat? Whoops, better go to a city to repair my armor, weapon, clothing and brew Schnapps for 5 minutes in-between fast travel times, loading screens, inventory sorting, food eating and sleeping. Each and every single fucking time.

Game balance with armor is also confused and strange, there's no incentive to role play as a lightly armored agile short sword wielding rogue since wearing full plate doesn't decrease your agility, attack speed or dodge success in the slightest, while I am not one to cry out about everything having to be 100% :balance: I find it a issue if it makes multiple roleplaying options pointless, even if you are a stealth character all it means is you just remove your armor if you are going to sneak, some of the noise stats connected to equipment also make no sense, like Bianca's ring adding 6 noise or some shit, what the fuck? It's a god damn ring on your finger.

That's all I felt like whining about.
Kingdom Comrade is a :3/5: for now, MAYBE mods and patches will fix it, but the busy work is still there.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
KCD is decent but confused. They didn't really think all of the systems through properly, like knocking out a random wayfarer knight gets you the best gear in the entire game and you are essentially invincible in melee combat against most enemies, melee combat also gets clunky and strange with higher level enemy AI since they can party and block your attacks very consistently, and aren't too fond of attacking themselves. I think Warhorse just wanted to make something amazing but they didn't really have enough time, money or developers to comb through the game proper and refine it's systems. It all feels incredibly stale and samey after 30-40 hours since as I said combat has no challenge, most of the quests end up as boring, no combat fetch quests with pretty empty dialogue and nothing incredibly interesting happens that often.

When you originally fought the Cumans who kidnapped Hans, that was awesome and challenging but that challenge falls flat after you get decent gear, and speaking of gear a large portion of it feels rather pointless. I have yet to see any reason to use anything aside from a sword since I don't like playing with shields and without a shield axe/mace is useless. Few enemies are armored enough to give a valid reason to use a mace and even then most weapons feel far too weak against my Piercer which I have been using for 15 hours now. Also, polearms. What the fuck are they even doing in the game? Carrying it in your hands at all times just feels weird and makes it a pointless class of weapon. Give me an option to use both ranged/melee slots to holster it instead of having to carry it in your hands like a idiot. Also, why would you even bother with sabres and hunting swords? They are just short swords with worse stab damage, I can't see any reason to specialize with them.

There's just way too much busy work and filler too. Go to combat? Whoops, better go to a city to repair my armor, weapon, clothing and brew Schnapps for 5 minutes in-between fast travel times, loading screens, inventory sorting, food eating and sleeping. Each and every single fucking time.

Game balance with armor is also confused and strange, there's no incentive to role play as a lightly armored agile short sword wielding rogue since wearing full plate doesn't decrease your agility, attack speed or dodge success in the slightest, while I am not one to cry out about everything having to be 100% :balance: I find it a issue if it makes multiple roleplaying options pointless, even if you are a stealth character all it means is you just remove your armor if you are going to sneak, some of the noise stats connected to equipment also make no sense, like Bianca's ring adding 6 noise or some shit, what the fuck? It's a god damn ring on your finger.

That's all I felt like whining about.
Kingdom Comrade is a :3/5: for now, MAYBE mods and patches will fix it, but the busy work is still there.

That sounds more like a :2/5: but it's understandable, you are just after the honeymoon:lol:

Nyast

Cipher
The honeymoon is over for me too. The introduction was very linear, scripted and full of cinematics, so when you arrive at Rattay and the game opens up, with all these cool side quests ( Hans Capon's hilarious ), your expectations rise and you feel excited, especially if you were starved by this kind of games.

Unfortunately everything goes downhill from here. Almost 50 hours in and I can safely say that the best times was when you were discovering the world for the first time, unveiling the map, entering new cities, finding new stuff around etc.. And then when you reach the mid game, everything repeats and becomes boring as fuck, and I won't even mention the balance or AI that is off.

Kuddos for what they were trying. I really want to support these kind of games, with actual NPCs on schedules and moving around, open-ended quests with multiple resolutions etc.. I do not regret buying this game, but I must admit it's far from a 8 or 9 out of 10 as I would have rated it two dozen hours ago. And that has nothing to do with bugs, but just things dragging on and becoming awfully repetitive and boring by the end.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Which can be aquired very early in the game by killing the wayfare knight or steal from the armory without any hassle and doesn't require any stats to equip it, what do you want me to do it, not wear it and pretend it never happened? If they didn't want me to be a walking panzer at early-mid game they should have put level/stat requirement on better items and call it a day, but they clearly dont know how to create an open world game.

Regardless of any of your other posts, level requirements on gear in a single player game reeks of MMO-ism and is decline incarnate. Stat requirements are a mixed bag, I liked them in Diablo 1 and the IE games, but despise the modern implementation. Stat requirements should be few and far between, for special items, and not a gamey way to gate player development.

Giving you easy access to such powerful gear so early on is an entirely different issue, but in no way is making KCD's itemization more like a MMO a solution.

Inziladun

Magister
If any Warhorse Dev is still reading this, please, please consider highlighting the combinations for the weapon combos(in the skills screen) a bright red or something. May not be a big deal for the Master Racers out there but god forbid you play this on a TV... I have to get a foot away from the screen to see any combo that isn't a stab.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
The honeymoon is over for me too. The introduction was very linear, scripted and full of cinematics, so when you arrive at Rattay and the game opens up, with all these cool side quests ( Hans Capon's hilarious ), your expectations rise and you feel excited, especially if you were starved by this kind of games.

Unfortunately everything goes downhill from here. Almost 50 hours in and I can safely say that the best times was when you were discovering the world for the first time, unveiling the map, entering new cities, finding new stuff around etc.. And then when you reach the mid game, everything repeats and becomes boring as fuck, and I won't even mention the balance or AI that is off.

Kuddos for what they were trying. I really want to support these kind of games, with actual NPCs on schedules and moving around, open-ended quests with multiple resolutions etc.. I do not regret buying this game, but I must admit it's far from a 8 or 9 out of 10 as I would have rated it two dozen hours ago. And that has nothing to do with bugs, but just things dragging on and becoming awfully repetitive and boring by the end.

That's honeymoon for you, you get an early nut and then reality sinks in:lol:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Giving up on raising lockpicking quickly to open doors to Monastery if it's even possible in search of dark magic, just said screw it and got into Deus Ex style by jumping from scaffolding onto inner yard while wearing monk robes. Not sure if monk robes helped or not, but I found not only 1500 coins worth of loot but also dark book and Avicenna's treatise on medicine. Almost managed to slip away by waiting for monks to pass at some shift through very hard locked door but got caught.

Served whole friggin week of jail time, but since books on dark magic are quest books I kept them. Not only that, but serving week of jail turned all my stolen red items into normal ones, and my reputation went from -100 to average back. Had some free sekes with bathmaid due to troubadour perk.

From earned experience picked a perk that raises stats as long as you have low rep, yet rep raises quicker itself - a really win win perk.

Now to read necronomicon over some crazy witch grave and see what happens.

edit.
GODDAMN THOTS!!!11

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just finished the game and...

The main quest of revenge remain unsolved. The bad guys get away, you never get to meet Sigismund, and you don't even recover the stolen sword. Now I was bored out of my mind at this point, as many others here have pointed out - the game lose its luster at the midpoint. But I have to say, this ending feels like crap to be honest even if I didn't care that much. You save a castle, and it turns out you got blue blood after all. Then you have a 15 minute epilogue which sets up Kingdom Come 2 or a DLC/expansion. Totally anti-climatic ending. I thought the game was supposed to be self-contained, I guess I was wrong. A disappointment, and it looks like people on the Steam forum isn't liking it much either, meaning having to pay for the true ending if its not provided for free which I highly doubt.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
FC77BBE2EF95390F653F308FEC9B9BB7457AA68E

There. Sir Ulrich doesn't need armor to fight some faggy bandits because he has BALLS.

Yeah, happens when you ask him for help during the night, when he sleeps in his pyjamas (his armour should be in his chest, if you need some good gear).

Speaking of sleeping, I used a bed in a bandit camp and when I woke up, there was a Cuman sleeping peacefully next to me. Guess we reconciled during the night. Or poor Henry got backstabbed in a way he never imagined and doesn't want to talk about it. :D

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Aw god, the Monastery bit is so goddamn boring I think I'm gonna cry. It's also bugged. Game acts like I lost my stuff, but my inventory is CLEARLY still with me. Think I'm gonna look for spoilers online, whack the guy and be done with this shit ASAP. Can't take another minute of that place.

hivemind

should have just waited like 2 weeks and then pirated the gog version desu if you know that you react negatively if a purchase ends up being not worth it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom