Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Elex

Arbiter
So...yesterday I spent like 2 hours in the arena sparring with Captain Bro (because the MQ is fucking boring and I'm having a hard time finding ppl to kill). Here are some things I learned that you guys may not know:

- There is a dedicated "cancel attack" button: E. Press "E" after holding LMB and you'll go back to the initial position
- It's also possible to feint with stabs
- There are at least 3 different "won a clinch" animations. One is triggered by spamming F (kick), one by LMB and another by RMB. With the 2 handed sword, RMB seems to be the best option since it stuns the opponent much longer than Henry. Block and E don't do anything while clinching
- You can parry and even master stroke while holding LMB/RMB
- Overhead strikes seem to have the longest lunge distance. So clinch + overhead is a pretty easy way to deal dmg consistently
- Best way to master stroke is to pay attention to the ENEMY, not the green shield thingie. Sometimes you can MS without even seeing the green icon.
- Combos are chained by pressing the next button as soon as your first attack connect. Sounds simple, but it isn't. If you hear that infamous "wooosh" sound, forget about it. Combos are interrupted by perfect blocks, master strokes, dodges and simply missing. Regular blocks do not interrupt a combo. That works both ways!
- Sparring has no limit. I reached Sword 20 yesterday with Bernard. Lame, but it is what it is.
- Last hit of a combo is unavoidable so if you're chaining attacks then you might as well go for a combo. By that same logic, shorter combos are better than longer ones.
- Stab, Upper Left, Lower Right (Sword) makes your opponent fall to the ground. Very useful.
- Warfare is even more important than weapon skill and it improves by improving the later, so make sure to train everything. Including fists. Specially fists, actually, since fist fighting doesn't do any serious dmg to your armor.

how you actually learn to fight gradually and a guy actually teach you is one of the best part of the game (it's pretty much like gothic when you see people use different animation)

the strange part is that the UI and the target lock feel like forced and pointless: you deal damage when your weapon connect with the enemy (and swing when you have no target for kill the first cuman work exactly like that), so why we have that ui and forced lock (instead of optional lock when we want it?)

Also the armor work fine with the different level of protection, but we can't really aim for the weakspot, for example we can't really aim with the mouse because we have to use the mouse for the direction instead of aiming the body part.

result is the classic "i fight the controls not the enemies"

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the strange part is that the UI and the target lock feel like forced and pointless: you deal damage when your weapon connect with the enemy (and swing when you have no target for kill the first cuman work exactly like that), so why we have that ui and forced lock (instead of optional lock when we want it?)

Target lock is optional, isn’t it? Seems easy enough to lock and unlock on my gamepad. Just another example of how this game was designed for a controller.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yeah, forgot to mention: I tried fighting with a controller and didn't see any improvement. This game is not like Dark Souls in that regard, KB&M is the better option.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
- Warfare is even more important than weapon skill and it improves by improving the later, so make sure to train everything. Including fists. Specially fists, actually, since fist fighting doesn't do any serious dmg to your armor.
Don't do this. Once you get your skills high enough all that cool stuff you mentioned earlier doesn't matter because you're one or two shotting everyone. Unless you can't help yourself from powergaming you should really only train with Bernard for a little while to learn all the moves - the combat is much more fun when your skills are at level 5-10.

Ruchy

Scholar
Does anyone know a fix for getting locked into a conversation loop? Gonna lose around 2 hours....

Still not enough to make me install save mod though.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Sinatar
How much is there left in the game after the monastery bandit mission? If there is only 10-20h left I'll just force myself through to be able to claim to have finished it.

You're relatively close to the end, 5 - 10 hours if you power through the story.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
That's interesting. Wearing leather gloves removes the Light Armor perk, the perk gives you 50% better dodge if you don't wear plate armor, somehow leather is made out of iron.
Sinatar Thanks.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
That's interesting. Wearing leather gloves removes the Light Armor perk, the perk gives you 50% better dodge if you don't wear plate armor, somehow leather is made out of iron.
Sinatar Thanks.
Noticed this yesterday too. Funniest thing is that by adding my plate gauntlets the noise actually goes DOWN due to the maintenance perk.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Don't do this. Once you get your skills high enough all that cool stuff you mentioned earlier doesn't matter because you're one or two shotting everyone. Unless you can't help yourself from powergaming you should really only train with Bernard for a little while to learn all the moves - the combat is much more fun when your skills are at level 5-10.

P much, got to the first scout the bandit camp mission and, well... this happened.

D8E7ED42485296763D355E40B910837885602379

I started doing side missions before this, the one where you go investigate the stone in the monastery gives so much money, at that point in the game, I was pretty much invincible. Add to that a guy dropped a halberd, which does like 122 dmg base, I was just harvesting bandits and Cumans alike.

There was literally a trail of bodies from the bridge to the top. If Runt had been in the camp, I'd have one hit him too, just like in the mission.

Edit: I should add, I wasn't even trying to powergame, I just fist fought and sworded dudes a bunch.

Edit2: The Halberd's RMB is its overhead strike and it is quite possibly the most broken attack in the game. Not once did it get parried.

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
Alright now, get off your high horses, KFC is far from being super realistic, alot of busy LARPing is still on player's behalf.
And it's a good thing

Hardcore Henry is so hardcore, he can live weeks without sleep by overcoming fatigue with mead and booze, eat rotten meat like a python and heal with antivenom at the same moment. Any sorts of injuries could be healed with an apple or a few hours of sleep. Due to inventory not being fucking GRID-BASED (which less realistic and LARP-y STALKER has), player character can carry a cart of wine, a dozen of gambesons and a hundredweight of meat and walk just as normal.

A mere son of blacksmith has nice minute-precision watch, a nice GPS device marking every quest-related person, an encyclopedia that updates in real time and narrates about stuff only yet to happen in future.

NPC AI and behavior packages are not very convincing. All village idiots wash themselves in the same exact basin, which usually stands right under the sun all day, despite that the water is still always fresh all day, like taken from a spring, yet no one bothers to replenish these basins. No one uses toilets, everyone sleeps and spends their time where they like (like in a room player might rented to sleep in or to sit down right before a fresh corpse to chew some bread or to knit a sock for a grandchild). Peasants lazily get up at 8-9 AM and waddly have snacks and go on a field to bash a dried ground with a hoe and then culturally rest in the local tavern until late at night. Urban artisans are even better, they open their stores stricly 10 AM up until 10 PM, no second early, no second later. No one is bothered by a crawling thug in deep night, who previously unlocked all chests and all doors, only ask politely to leave. Not even run away to partolling guards to report or try to kick Henry out themselves. Enemies can't see past a few meter long radius, don't get too much bothered by whistling arrows.

Traders have more gold worth than their stock, their store and ground they own yet accept any kind of crap you'd gladly throw at them trying to sell, in any quantities. Anything from potted pants, rotten meat and cabbage, or a lord's family sword from castle next door.

Horse can breeze through forests no problem with a speed of a tuned muscle car yet can't wrinkle a small bush, teleports everywhere like a Warcraft mage and climbs mountains at an angle of 60-70 degrees on full speed. Saddlebag are accessible even when hoofed friend parked at nearby village a few miles away.

And yet there are potions that turns Henry into a walking fortress or transform rotten grub in fresh foods. And magic books, which after reading suddenly gives you strength or vitality. And multidimensional chests, the contents of which are available from anywhere in the world. Yet you can't equip a shield from your back or put on a helmet in a battle duel. Unrealistic, I guess. :M

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yet you can't equip a shield from your back or put on a helmet in a battle duel.

If you could swap armor during combat you would never need to worry about damaging your equipment in any given fight. Plus, someone would slit your throat while you change. They do strive for more realism in the fights.

In the end, it’s still a game.

Shadenuat

Arcane
But surely they could have done a better job with the power progression
And with social progression during narrative.

After 3-4 major battles, raiding 2 camps, 1 castle, killing one big bad, and learning that you're blueblood, game sends you to talk to some charcoal burners (again) to ask for some supplies to siege yet another fortress.

Not to mention how some NPCs still treat Henry like dirt (thankfully you can shoot them in the head since they're not invulnerable), like that main village dude during village plague. Harr harr you serve noble lord wearing that plate armor? I shall not let you speak to prisoner even if you burn the barn! Harr harr!

Well get rekt with a mace to the face.

Somewhere late midgame Henry should have been knighted already and given a bunch of troops to command during more important quests than skyriming around.

Reminds me of killing camp leaders in Elex.

I think it's something of an RPG trope: at some time in the game, where the plot stakes are high, everything is closing to an end, and player anticipates the big thing, game designer still believes that game is too short and gives player 3 to 6 meaningless tasks to complete... because he has no idea whats the fuck is going on in his own game.

Last edited:

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
LOD and texture quality is absolutely garbage on PS4. It's fucking unexcusable, honestly. I gave them those 60€ because I like to put money where my mouth is, but Jesus fucking Christ, the graphics are fucking PS3.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
LOD and texture quality is absolutely garbage on PS4. It's fucking unexcusable, honestly. I gave them those 60€ because I like to put money where my mouth is, but Jesus fucking Christ, the graphics are fucking PS3.
Lol consoles. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom