Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

the precursors

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
there's a fan translation for the game which translates all the ingame text and contains transcripts or summaries of the cutscenes.
playing the game right now, and it's pretty nice, though i'm not that far into it yet.

it has localized damage (left/right arm/leg, torso, head) with different effects (arms damage reduces firearms accuracy, legs damage reduces running speed and will make your character limp), and so on. will post more impressions later if anyone is interested.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
it's primarily a shooter, but quite complex.

instead of skills the game has perks, and some perks are required for others or have level requirements. perks are divided into five categories that roughly equate to combat stuff, auxiliary, technical, rogue/social, outdoor. each category has seven perks, some depend on perks from other categories.
most perks only give passive boni, but a few enable you to do more stuff, like using heavy weapons.

inventory has slots and a weight limit, the latter can be raised through a few perks. the weight limit is rather low, so no carrying around tons of stuff.
there are only three equipment slots (weapon, armor, ammo type).

weapons have durability, different ammo types, some are fairly exotic (like an insect which acts as a knife), and they can be modded, which seems to have a chance of failing as there is a perk which increases the chance of success. no idea how exactly the mods work or look yet.

there are vehicles, you can steal them, and they also have storage space.

healing items have an addiction rating, and there are three different addiction bars the game tracks (drugs, meds, alc).

there seem to be at least 7 factions (empire, republic (lol), free traders, bandits, civilians, clatz revolutionaries, nest clatz). looks like there is only one kind of negative rep: hostile, but a proper progression for positive rep.

the game has stealth, but it's kinda weird. instead of crouching and just staying out of sight, which will still get you noticed rather fast, you have to enable a separate stealth mode, which will color the edges of the screen and slow down your movement speed considerably. in stealth mode you see enemies within a certain range on the radar, regardless of whether you see them or not, and if you do something to increase their awareness, they will also display sight cones. it's sorta stupid, no idea if it gets better later on.

the starting map is in no way representative of the game, as i just found out. the first real map is pretty friggin big, and if you wait for a bit instead of doing what you are supposed to, you get to steal a small ship and dick around the map. will post some more later.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
ok, there is normal progression for negative rep as well.

the game is quite rough and unpolished. landing a flier the wrong way might kill you, attacking security droids in a flier is a sure way to die as they will fly against the flier from the top and push it in a way that will turn it upside down as well as pushing it towards the earth, which will make you explode, for the same reason as wrong landings).
there's also a lot of stuff hidden on crates in the starting spaceport, but you can't just get to since you jump just a little too low to get on crates, which i think is a bug...

nobody seems to react to you just stealing all the shit lying around, including fliers and buggies, but people will react to you drawing a gun on them or shooting nearby, and shooting at someone might get you killed or arrested (although in the starting area getting thrown into jail seems to only be an opportunity to loot it).

you can't attack certain plot-critical people, it seems, but everybody else, and that's a friggin lot of people.

Raapys

Arcane
Playing this myself. As you say it's very rough around the edges, and it crashes every once in a while.

Bugs aside though, I've found it to be a surprisingly decent game. There's some character development, some C&C, and both the shooter and space-arcade game modes are okay'ish implemented( though mouse acceleration sucks ). Too bad that none of the other planets can stand up to the quality of the starting planet, but that would probably be too much to ask for.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played it when the translation was half-done. It's pretty fun, although after the first world it got a lot more linear.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
linear in what sense?
Raapys said:
Playing this myself. As you say it's very rough around the edges, and it crashes every once in a while.
despite all the bugs (hey, this buggy has a lvl 3 lock, only it doesn't do anything.. whut...) it is pretty amazing.
having to buy spare tires because bandits shot them rules.

Topher

Cipher
Looks neat, I guess I've got to torrent it? Any other way to get it in the US?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just got it in a bundle, gonna give it a try today as I have some time to kill. Hopefully it's fun for a few hours at least.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OK, so I played it for one hour so far.

The game installed in English. I begin the game on a 'normal' difficulty. I watch the intro in Russian, with no subtitles (there's no option for subtitles in the game options either).

Then I begin the game. Within one minute I get killed by a fucking plant.

I restart the game on normal and watch the intro again, because you can't skip it. I kill plants and some animals. About 5 minutes within the game I encounter aliens throwing insults at me in Russian. I get wrecked within seconds.

Fortunately this time I quicksaved after plants.

I reload the save and kill the Russian speaking aliens using all ammo in my rocket launcher. Happy that I won I pick up their equipment and move forward.

After I move a few metres beyond last killed alien I get mowed down by a fucking mech.

Reloaded and killed the mech using all my granades and some other weapons. I move forward, see some crashed spaceship, then get a vision with another kind of aliens, then after another movie in Russian, I am in another place, some kind of a city. So I watch an ass of a female NPC.

Seems like this game will provide hours of fun :salute: cyka blyatch, aliens.

Screens:
DE2763CD0A136C4426F41F913866BB1BFFEB5E4F

1220C251BA0AA9290A01FF9EA244B52E26FBD10D

3D0C42D859A6026731148C5C15B1F7DC85BFD239

0C8A7EAA8885725339F8953B202ECB699EE8F86B

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Seems like they already included voice files, no need to DL 1GB+ from other sites.
And heard there are StarForce files in the game directory but not sure if the actual DRM is installed.

Konjad
what's the game version?
Did you installed with Wesp5 patch 1.8?
http://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/3211/7/60988/download

changelogs
v1.8 11.02.2014
----
Fixed dialogue issues of Leemin and Grayson, thanks to Danko Simons.
Made Kasterley in the BBK mediate with Free Traders multiple times.
Set weight of all undroppable quest items to 0.01 to avoid problems.

v1.7 15.05.2013
----
Added link to moddb page and continued improving translation issues.
Improved all cutscene voice-overs, see credits below the changelog.
Included removal of film grain noise effect into flicker fix option.
Fixed Grayson's quest removing wrong inventory item after delivery.

v1.6 12.07.2012
----
Fixed mission-order issues for Doctor Amon and intelligence officer.
Continued improving translation, names and similar inconsistencies.
Restored missing title for Doctor Amon's weapons experiment mission.

v1.5 28.08.2011
----
Removed double line about Dust package and Clatz cell key after use.
Added zoom and range indicators to binoculars, thanks to The Silver.
Fixed directions to the mediator on Reandore and some NPC factions.
Increased cost of the BBK mediators and made Kasterly a Free Trader.
Hopefully fixed possible cutscene crashes by including sndlist.dat.
Included HUD improvements and missing icons, thanks Shepard_the_3rd.

v1.4 18.04.2011
----
Changed inventory and trade screens to show more, thanks to badmofo.
Swapped green spaceship engine trail with unused but better red one.
Fixed Misa not accepting fuel and Ramall's missions end and double.

v1.3 07.02.2011
----
Included English cutscene voice-overs, thanks jorgamesh and badmofo.
Corrected BBK drinker, Darkon race organizer and Norman quest bugs.
Added postprocess folder to avoid ATI flickering, thanks sq_paradox.
Fixed merchants window bugs and some space engineers not repairing.
Removed 5th ship engine and added flashlight, binoculars, smartlink.
Swapped HUD drug and medicine addictions and fixed perk conditions.
Fixed cargo merchants exploit and unlocked belongings box at prison.
Added infos for undefinable controls and created installer version.
Corrected loading and menu videos that slowed loading and menu down.
Fixed Ridinger bandit faction change and improved the BBK mediators.
Merged with 1.1 patch and enhanced the phrasing, thanks to badmofo.
Changed Soothsayer quest line and fixed damaged ship mission issues.
Restored some unused music pieces when in space, thanks to player1.

v1.2 21.12.2010
----
Added faction status changes for Bush, Skeleton, Shaman and Ridiger.
Fixed more details and inconsistencies and a few generic NPC names.
Turned Kasterley, Scrubby and representatives at BBK into mediators.
Changed warden lines to give info on box with your stuff at prison.

v1.1 30.07.2010
----
Fixed many details and inconsistencies, and added item descriptions.
Corrected transactions with Perk, ice collector and race organizer.
Changed Kasterley missing quest line and vehicle menu to roll/slide.

v1.0 04.06.2010
----
All in game text translated to 100%, thanks for the help to badmofo.
Added several game engine cutscene transcripts to the patch readme.

v0.7 05.05.2010
----
Added subtitles for intro video, thanks for the translation to Metz.
Fixed broken weapons and redid strings to 100% and dialogues to 1%.

v0.6 31.03.2010
----
Fixed many small details and names and did 7% of the dialog strings.

v0.5 03.03.2010
----
Created English loading and menu screens by using logos from videos.
Translated all string categories to 100% and the dialogues to 0.1%.
Created Precursors icon by using graphics from the official webpage.

Jinn

Arcane
Grabbed it because the bundle was $1 and there were a couple other decent looking games that came along with it. Looking forward to seeing some more impressions from you, Konjad. Are you thinking of installing that unofficial patch?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The StarForce files are included in the installation, it just doesn't activate. They really did zero effort on this.

Konjad

Patron
Grabbed it because the bundle was $1 and there were a couple other decent looking games that came along with it. Looking forward to seeing some more impressions from you, Konjad. Are you thinking of installing that unofficial patch?
Well, I played some more and it seems like a fun game actually. The world is open, but tbh it's a bit too large for it's own good - it's like oblivion, new vegas, skyrim or twitcher 3, where you have interesting places with mostly nothingness between them, albeit it's not a big deal because even before you leave the first town you get a car, so it doesn't take much time to travel. Writing is meh, but I am an exploretard, so just give me a map with some places and i will have fun :M

I guess the patch requires playing anew, which is bad, because the beginning is linear and meh, but I do think it's a good idea to play it with a patch, so I will install it (and try my old save first)

Some more screens from me:
EF9B0B5F8A9240439F68FEBA3711CA8BF515E98A

A26A5786E6D1D3CEB446FE4AA583BD84A46DFCA8

EF9DDEBB2AAA6E0D347192C520B15C202C70E97C

FC14B6D8F4D52D90E01A98FFAF139F5D39D26BCA

4F1A7561ECED9E981C2B1F6D70F285CCEE0B69CD

60B7837DF60A7FD0ECE2248153544BE937F410CE

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I noticed something - Precursors icon in Steam library have same icon as Boiling Point exe launcher :D

probably because they didn't really remove sf3, they used the famous boiling point demo exe to bypass it.
unbelievable.

Konjad

Patron
It's a very good mix of RPG and FPS, with lots of exploration.

It has one of the most open worlds ever, or actually, multiple worlds, because you can travel between them in space, something I've never seen before (kind of like X series mixed with a role-playing game). I must say, that the game is a bit flawed - requires installation of unofficial Wesp's patch (otherwise enjoy watching movies in bolshevik), the space part is average at best and a bit dull (fortunately, it can be rushed through), and the writing is just okay (with mispellings too), but despite these flaws the game is a blast to play for those who love open-world role-playing games - it has many different areas. You can explore six planets in total, fortunately there are enough land vehicles (or mountable animals) so you don't have to walk vast territories. You can sink in the multiplicity of sub-quests, the game always gives you many things to do at the same time, and the gameplay itself is quite fun too - the combat system is basically a first-person shooter that is a mix of arcade and realism - the action is very fast, but both you and your enemies die very quickly. The faction system and choices whom to help will also add to the role-playing element. I'd recommend it for all those who enjoy open-world games, both role-playing ones, and shooters. Just apply the unofficial patch.

Some more screenshots:

BE2B25E73637C5666D704F1562E73EB4814FE992

DA62B7C59049465019201EC62EC16967AF195D12

41FAF745618F955C8B23C2C65CAA64DD5663B5A6

6BE98515AB423A74C20368393737DD73B3FC34F0

0BCCA7FBB0A387BBFB120CC6DAAA608CC0B969E6

E120381E2E63FEEE051EBEC4663EF98B0F26594C

77D770A64D41FBE8A5D5EFC779F7B8CAF6040BB9

C3369A70CE0EAB0258C51E49D5E6B7B8B2396BC4

6CF61D5C327D40DEBDEACAFA57B989C88E73C1F3

725CE845646C54F651931579D3C64346909493ED

BBF8E3EEE1086CA3146BA4E400B505156905585F

C5BD47EFCC1A49990DB846B7FCBA142D47263036

2195083A30A3E03347D44E2D0C45B9764253EB13

AF35B514BBB81007F9064E5EC00196C4A2E6F46C

DA5F922CA5E3BD8A9B0584990F683A4C1E07671C

8D0BE8BA62EB8D9D06FCB1B2AFDE7D216EB06864

11FA4F5001E4B1A78213C952F29E67BD9B674F0E

8F8D74C53BA660102604D8AC84F5A08590F2955B

Jinn

Arcane
It's a very good mix of RPG and FPS, with lots of exploration.

It has one of the most open worlds ever, or actually, multiple worlds, because you can travel between them in space, something I've never seen before (kind of like X series mixed with a role-playing game). I must say, that the game is a bit flawed - requires installation of unofficial Wesp's patch (otherwise enjoy watching movies in bolshevik), the space part is average at best and a bit dull (fortunately, it can be rushed through), and the writing is just okay (with mispellings too), but despite these flaws the game is a blast to play for those who love open-world role-playing games - it has many different areas. You can explore six planets in total, fortunately there are enough land vehicles (or mountable animals) so you don't have to walk vast territories. You can sink in the multiplicity of sub-quests, the game always gives you many things to do at the same time, and the gameplay itself is quite fun too - the combat system is basically a first-person shooter that is a mix of arcade and realism - the action is very fast, but both you and your enemies die very quickly. The faction system and choices whom to help will also add to the role-playing element. I'd recommend it for all those who enjoy open-world games, both role-playing ones, and shooters. Just apply the unofficial patch.

Thanks for the impressions, Konjad. I always appreciate when you take a closer look at some more obscure titles that others won't necessarily give the time of day. I started playing this myself and enjoyed it a fair amount from the little I explored. Unfortunately I got distracted by some other games that came out recently (very good: Battle Brothers - not-so-good: Torment: Tides of Numera), but was just starting to feel the hook sink in before I took a break from it. With this perspective of the full game, I'm definitely going to hop back in soon.

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Interesting game, should try. I just wondered if you guys know about the Wikipedia discussion from 2010 where Wesp5 was fighting those Wikipedia cunts about simply including the information that his patch exists in the article. You can read it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Precursors_(video_game). It is both hilarious and infuriating.
No wonder. The wall that he is arguing with is Danish. The Danes are by far the dumbest and most insufferable people in northern Europe. I'm glad he eventually made it past the wall, kudos for enduring that shithole.

Deleted Member 16721

Yeah, it's pretty darn good. I almost helped wesp rewrite the entire script to give it a more natural translation. But the current translation is fine, and the game is fun to play and quite complex for a shooter. Think STALKER but in a Star Wars/sci-fi setting instead. It's worth a look.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I am surprised this is on Steam but not GoG.

Also, the total lack of shadows in every screenshot is freaking me out. Everything looks like a NorK photoshop job.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom