Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone know what the "Avid Reader" perk actually does? The description is vague as fuck and I don't understand.

Your level of study of the book you've read most of will advance automatically while sleeping or skipping time.

Yeah. You need to spend dedicated time reading skill books to get any benefit from them (via the sleep menu basically, only you don't recover any health or energy). Avid reader lets you learn from those books while you sleep or simply wait. So if it takes four hours of in game time to read 100% of a skill book, avid reader lets you do that in your sleep rather than dedicating four hours to the book.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Interesting words from Warhorse co-founder.

6. In some press comments, the game is seen as an AAA title. Do you see the game that way?

I don’t see KCD as competing with the likes of Assassin’s Creed or Shadow of War. We simply don’t have resources to create a game like that. I don’t view us as an indie game either, though. The trend I see in ‘real’ AAA games, like the ones I mentioned above, is toward making games more and more forgiving, better suited to the most casual and absent-minded players; they are games that in effect are ‘playing themselves’. So, you have all those different markers, prompts and handy hints that you never have to think about what to do next.

This is not entirely wrong. I can see why the companies that make these games take this approach and obviously there is a demand for it, as evidenced by the sales of these games.

On the other hand, we see a trend among indie games that are both more original and less forgiving, but because of limited budgets they have to go for a format that is somewhat simpler to develop for, e.g. many of them are 2D platformers or top-down scrollers.

KCD is an attempt of bridging the two: it is an indie game at heart – more hardcore, more demanding, more fierce – but with the visuals and production values of AAA game.

I freely admit though that I wish we had more time to polish the game before the release, that’s what AAA game deserves.

And yet he decided that a compass with quest markers was the way to go. The whole "hardcore" thing feels a bit ironic, especially after finishing the game, since it's actually easier than Assassins Creed and the quests pop up like in Bioshock telling you what to do and how.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
So it has quest markers that can be disabled, you know this right? Absent quest markers, there is nothing wrong with a compass. Further, many quests give you rather vague areas to search "The woods near area x", or "North of town X". As middle ground, you are shown a quest area. The journal can be quite vague in many cases. It holds your hand WAY less than most games softhe last 10 years.

After playing some more, I think the core issue with KCD's melee combat is that it doesn't utilize its own strengths properly. Medieval combat (or HEMA) is centered around alternating between reading your opponent and reacting to what he does, and taking initiative and trying to attack him in a deceptive way.

Many years ago, Gothic 1 already implemented an extremely simple model of this, with its block and counter-attack mechanics. This was then re-implemented in many games since, including Gothic 2, Risen, and Witcher 3.

KCD has a much much more complex combat model, and theoretically, it could support a vastly in-depth fencing model. But for whatever reason, Warhorse chose to ignore most of the complexity, and roll out a much simpler final product that is not much different from those other games. Limited funds? Afraid to scare off casuals?

For instance, they already have the directional model in the game, for attacks, stances, etc, and it would be fairly easy to introduce directional blocking. Instead, they chose to go with a dumbed down one button block, which requires zero strategy or technique, and is the same as many other, much simpler games.

Another example, they create this fancy directional attack model, but what is the use of it exactly? They could have made it so that depending on the enemy's position and guard, certain areas would be more vulnerable, but in my testing, I did not see any of that. Regardless of the direction, attacks were blocked most of the time, and only random chance and character stats seemed to play a role. Even feints were mostly blocked. Combos use directional attacks, yes, but combos are a fairly useless feature, since any competent opponent will interrupt them.

Then we get to stuff like masterstrikes and slo-mo, which completely eliminate player skill from the equation and ruin the flow of combat. With this feature, KCD's combat is pretty much like Witcher 3 combat against humans.

I guess the positive thing is that all of this might be fixable by mods, we will see.

Nael

Arcane

My guess is that at the earlier stages of development they had a more complex system based on what exists in the game now but at the last minute decided to scrub it because of bugs, exploits, perceived difficulty or steep learning curve. What is in the game now definitely seems slapped together and half-conceived.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
im stuck in quest with trebuchet guy
im supposed to wait for assassin past midnight but he never shows up. How do I unblock myself?
at this point i just want to finish the game dont care if i miss anything. Fedex quest of Siege was last straw. Hope i wont have to do any of that.

I had to wait for two days. For some reason he didn't show up the first night. The second night he just stormed the house and tried to fight the guards...

Inziladun

Magister
Starting to lose steam. Suffered 3 CTDs at various parts of the Forgery questline. Taking 2 steps forward and 1 step back multiple times. Getting frustrating. How far am I from the end? Trying to decide if I should take a month hiatus and finish after a few patches.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So far I've gotten something like 4 broken quests in my book, Sheba's sword, an eliminate the bandit camp where the leader doesn't spawn, Robber Baron and stealing something for a vagrant that's permanently in the stocks. Starting to think it's time to put the game down and wait for patches.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Um so I just did the pestilence quest and when I talked to Nicodemus, he told me to give him one vial and he'd monitor Straw's wife, I did exactly that and cured everyone else. 2 days later, I failed the quest because Straw's wife died and there was nothing I could do? What did I miss here?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Man this game is so weirldly spaced out and padded.
-Hour of cutscenes with some actions inbetween.
-Hour long worth of interesting quests.
-"Hero! Everything is bad! Save us! Fix all our problems!"
-3 to 10 hours of mindless busywork.

What do you expect from someone who worked on Mafia? They had the exact same issues with the padding, tedious amount of driving from A to B, tedious ammount of cutscenes and some frivolous action scenes inbetween. Vavra doesn't seem to know how to balance these things out or doesn't want to, he seems more intereseted in making ''movies'' and putting not even fluff worthy features that usually end up becoming chores the second or third time you do it.

Elex

Arbiter
Most people during that time weren't like modern day people taking a shower two times a day,they would have been going to the baths once or twice a year,not every day

That bullshit myth has been debunked a long time ago.
there is a codex page in game that explain: the church don’t like bathing so priest can wash 2 times in a year only for special occasion. other people instead wash a lot more and poors have some free access to bath.

Elex

Arbiter
So it has quest markers that can be disabled, you know this right? Absent quest markers, there is nothing wrong with a compass. Further, many quests give you rather vague areas to search "The woods near area x", or "North of town X". As middle ground, you are shown a quest area. The journal can be quite vague in many cases. It holds your hand WAY less than most games softhe last 10 years.
and npc don’t use the lazy “i put it on your map” they actually go full explanation and then henry figure the place, sometime he need to find it manually.

i wonder how many voice line the game “wasted” only for pure immersion or for alternative quest solution.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Okay my criticism of the combat still stands but the "Drinking with the priest" scene is the best thing that has happened to gaming in decades. It's everything that Bioware and the other numale cucks try to achieve but fail.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
What do you expect from someone who worked on Mafia? They had the exact same issues with the padding, tedious amount of driving from A to B, tedious ammount of cutscenes and some frivolous action scenes inbetween. Vavra doesn't seem to know how to balance these things out or doesn't want to, he seems more intereseted in making ''movies'' and putting not even fluff worthy features that usually end up becoming chores the second or third time you do it.
Except in Mafia when I drove around it was entertaining with the character dialogue and I wanted to progress the story, with KCD I am sorta just getting bored doing this fedex shit for asshole characters.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Except in Mafia when I drove around it was entertaining with the character dialogue and I wanted to progress the story, with KCD I am sorta just getting bored doing this fedex shit for asshole characters.

You're saying the same BS about fetch quests on every single page ITT.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

The curse of being open world and on a budget, you have to artificially lengthen the game somehow and that's by adding a lot of meaningless running back and forth, tedious fluff, otherwise the game would be pretty damn short, especially the main quest. The pox on open-world trend, it's the cancer that makes video games as tedious as real life.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
The game wouldn't even be short if you took out the filler in the main quests, it'd still be a good 30-40 hours.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Okay my criticism of the combat still stands but the "Drinking with the priest" scene is the best thing that has happened to gaming in decades. It's everything that Bioware and the other numale cucks try to achieve but fail.
It's a good counterpart to Witcher 3's "witchers getting drunk" scene.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
Okay, I've spent 25 hours on the game so far and I can't even start the archery tutorial, because up till this point, all I've done is run around murdering and robbing everyone, and whenever I try to start the archery tutorial I get an instant game over screen because it says I've lost Sir Radzig's trust. Is there anyway to fix this? I already have equipment like shortened Milanese cuirasses, grand bascinets, and ceremonial maces, but I can't even finish the combat tutorial because I've murdered like 200 people and stolen 136k worth of goods. I can't even get my broken equipment fixed because it's all stolen and none of the blacksmiths I've seen want to repair stolen goods.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
At this point you are a bigger threat than the Cumans, and Radzig and Sigizmund side together against you. Good luck.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
It's a good counterpart to Witcher 3's "witchers getting drunk" scene.

It was funny, but my thoughts were exactly this: "Oh, I remember that from the Wild Hunt."
(and the sermon afterwards was pretty much the doppler play scene)

It's fine, but not quite the godsend to gaming it's presented as.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom