Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
You have a point there. There are benefits to letting you kill everyone though, and they are again roleplaying-related. If you kill a person it's because you chose to do it.

Of course, but that choice has to have a consequence for the character that is accounted in the quests and in the dialogues, which also requires to have a more loose main quest. Cause otherwise it's like in Grand Theft Auto, I can kill the entire city and make me chase by the army for the entire map but then the plot advance like nothing happened because it's not design to account for the free roaming bullshittery.

And that is in itself a restriction, because if I already know that killing everyone is not gonna have consequences, I'm not gonna play as a psycho because it's meaningless.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You have a point there. There are benefits to letting you kill everyone though, and they are again roleplaying-related. If you kill a person it's because you chose to do it.

Of course, but that choice has to have a consequence for the character that is accounted in the quests and in the dialogues, which also requires to have a more loose main quest. Cause otherwise it's like in Grand Theft Auto, I can kill the entire city and make me chase by the army for the entire map but then the plot advance like nothing happened because it's not design to account for the free roaming bullshittery.

And that is in itself a restriction, because if I already know that killing everyone is not gonna have consequences, I'm not gonna play as a psycho because it's meaningless.
"Consequence" means, as we know, budget and time. So if the choice is between "the player won't have a choice", and "he will have a choice but not much will follow (reputation drops, etc.)", then which option do we go with? I don't think WH deserves criticism for going with the latter.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
So the edgelords, upon playing the game for many hours after priating it (or not playing it at all), take to the forums in riteous fury. Why is the internets filled with people who seethe in the attempt to convince anonymous people that they are right on a subjective matter?

Look - it's just an overpriced piece of crap. Deal with it Shitbatso.

What gravity do you expect a value statement related to your income to have?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This reactivity ranting is an example of give them a finger and they will want your arm.

Exactly this. The more reactive AI you'll make the more will people bitch it's not like real people. The more you make your game realistic the more will people moan it's stupid because you can drink a heal potion. All the while nourishing Skyrim and Fallout 4 in their TOP 10.

What standard are you using here? Can you point me to all these wonderful RPGs with more AI reactivity? Where your protagonist grows as a character? Where you can approach quests in more varied ways?

Fallout 1,2...New Vegas.

These games have more AI and world reactivity? Your protagonist grows as a character in Fallout 1? You can approach each quest in 5 different ways? That is some heavy nostalgia on display here.

Btw mentioning New Vegas - I clearly remember people shitting on NV just like they're shitting on KCD now. It was infinitely better written than F3 but hurrrr, not good enough. The characters and world were way more interesting but durr, not perfect. And the bugs, oh my lord soo many bugs, my life is ruined.

I suspect most people, despite their pretension of prestigiousness, just love their dumb, hacky-slashy, power fantasy adventures and they've mastered the art of coming up with all sorts of retarded justifications for that, chief among which is that more complex and finegrained games are just not complex and finegrained enough. What a humbug.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
These games have more AI and world reactivity?

Fucking hell, yes, they do. In Fallout 1 there are not even "choices" but just plain actions with coherent consequenses on the world. Like being a fucking idiot and telling everyone where you came from in simple dialogues it's going to have repercussions.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
These games have more AI and world reactivity?

Fucking hell, yes, they do. In Fallout 1 there are not even "choices" but just plain actions with coherent consequenses on the world. Like being a fucking idiot and telling everyone where you came from in simple dialogues it's going to have repercussions.
Are you serious? It's quite obvious that your reactivity in Fallout covers a bigger percentage of possible actions, but also that the set of possible actions in Fallout's environment is immensely more narrow than what's possible in KCD.

Lord Kane

Novice
because is based on the stat of henry vs the stat of the enemy.

when you can perform a proper combo the enemy is already dead.

Well then, combos are basically useless.

Same here. Yet it still felt glorious beating Runt (even if from the third attempt) when entering combat with an injured hand and torso, and at half health.

Funny you mentioned that, I bested Runt on third or fourth attempt and I am still not sure what have I done right.
This combo thing doesn't seem to be completely thought through. You don't bother with them when you fight some low bandits and you can't really pull them off with stronger opponents.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I saw a video of an unusual bug in this game - a man walking around with his entire head in a horse's ass. Or maybe it wasn't a bug and it was suppose to be symbolic of a man who was a horse's ass? I dunno. At any rate, I'm gonna wait and let you gooners continue beta(alpha?)-testing this until the first extensive patch gets released.

mildTea

Learned
The game lacks advanced reactivity and it's the symptom of developers unexperience with the genre. Not only the "romances" aren't connected with the main quest and they do not really make our protagonist grow as a character, I also noticed that the devs didn't think about different player approach.

What standard are you using here? Can you point me to all these wonderful RPGs with more AI reactivity? Where your protagonist grows as a character? Where you can approach quests in more varied ways?

There is none, but that's the thing. Vávra&co. oversold it and underdelivered. The resulting AI is above average with respect to other open world games, but it's nothing to write home about. Morrowind acknowledged your rise in status better. God... Stardew Valley has better romance/wife system. In Witcher 3 romances work also better, but that's purely because it's based on preexisting work in the books and two games. Actually, if I remember correctly, VtM: Blodlines had nice reactivity based on the clan and the perks you chose.

However, I believe there is a good chance they will nail it the next time. They chose the right direction and honestly some of the stuff with AI might be fixed with patches. What I worry about is a big scale battle as promised per the Kickstarter video. After experiencing how slow and sluggish the small battles are now, I'm worried about the future.

But in all seriousness. This game is so much like Mafia or GTA V. Great world-building, fairly good writing, story is also good compared to other games, although it's a bit too linear and based on kitschy motives from other works. Mafia was all the same. Take some stuff from Goodfellas and Godfather and make a game around it. Lost Haven wasn't that open-worldly (you couldn't just visit Sam and Paulie outside the missions) and there was not much to do apart from the missions. But this made the whole story more coherent and it didn't break from your shenanigans outside the missions.

One day I would love to see a game that would feature a character growth on the level of Walter White from Breaking Bad.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There is none, but that's the thing. Vávra&co. oversold it and underdelivered.

That's vastly subjective. I for one didn't expect such a robust crime and reputation system for example. I got MUCH more than I thought I'd get in most aspects. If you expected something even more galactic, fine, but that's, like, your own thing.

The resulting AI is above average with respect to other open world games, but it's nothing to write home about.

So the AI is better than anything ever made....but it's still bad. While other games are better.

Yeah, exactly what I wrote about in my previous comment about mindboggling arguments I'm hearing about this game.

Btw, wtf is with all the talk about romances? I didn't think we'd get anything in that respect, Warhorse never talked about any romances. Like, that's the problem ya'll choose to bang on about, no pun intended?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So the edgelords, upon playing the game for many hours after priating it (or not playing it at all), take to the forums in riteous fury. Why is the internets filled with people who seethe in the attempt to convince anonymous people that they are right on a subjective matter?
#NotAllMucroDomnus!!! I may be an edgelord but at least i am not that whiny and with such poor taste as those fuck. They are more of the edgepeasant variety.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I'm gonna wait and let you gooners continue beta(alpha?)-testing this until the first extensive patch gets released.
Which is today, unless you want to wait for the "GOTY+all-DLC-at-a-discount" version.

Can you show me that video you watched, and make sure it wasn't recorded on the 1.0 build? :)

AwesomeButton

Patron
Btw, wtf is with all the talk about romances? I didn't think we'd get anything in that respect, Warhorse never talked about any romances. Like, that's the problem ya'll choose to bang on about, no pun intended?
Which would you prefer - "romance" dialogue trees, or varied animations and skill-based progression of Henry's whoring achievements in the bathhouses? I know my choice!

Dexter

Arcane
Not only the "romances" aren't connected with the main quest and they do not really make our protagonist grow as a character
Fallout 1,2...New Vegas. And in terms of romance, The Witcher 2 and 3 are certainly superior, the characters are there not to make our protagonist fuck. They are an integral part of its life, they have their own agenda and are important for the plot. Fuck, even BiowEAre makes better interactions between protagonist and companions, expecially the romanced one. Shepard/Liara, Grey Warden/Morrigan, Hawke/Anders, Elf/Solas.
God... Stardew Valley has better romance/wife system. In Witcher 3 romances work also better, but that's purely because it's based on preexisting work in the books and two games.
This is why you don't add love interests in your games, it attracts BioWare enthusiasts.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This reactivity ranting is an example of give them a finger and they will want your arm.

Exactly this. The more reactive AI you'll make the more will people bitch it's not like real people. The more you make your game realistic the more will people moan it's stupid because you can drink a heal potion. All the while nourishing Skyrim and Fallout 4 in their TOP 10.

Fallout 1,2...New Vegas.

These games have more AI and world reactivity? Your protagonist grows as a character in Fallout 1? You can approach each quest in 5 different ways? That is some heavy nostalgia on display here.

Btw mentioning New Vegas - I clearly remember people shitting on NV just like they're shitting on KCD now. It was infinitely better written than F3 but hurrrr, not good enough. The characters and world were way more interesting but durr, not perfect. And the bugs, oh my lord soo many bugs, my life is ruined.

I suspect most people, despite their pretension of prestigiousness, just love their dumb, hacky-slashy, power fantasy adventures and they've mastered the art of coming up with all sorts of retarded justifications for that, chief among which is that more complex and finegrained games are just not complex and finegrained enough. What a humbug.

You are 100% right. I believed the bitching about New Vegas and put off playing it for like five years. What a waste!

KCD is not the pinnacle of ARPG perfection, but that’s a ridiculous benchmark since no other game is either. What matters is that it’s really good, despite exactly the same
flaws you find it most other open world RPGs (and sure, a few additional problems—it’s not New Vegas or Gothic 1/2, and it’s a totally different beast from Bloodlines, but there is a lot to like).

Elex

Arbiter
well romance in kcd are horrible because the game have no romance.

extra matrimonial sex =\= a relashionship in 1403

theresa deserve a real romance option but the game don’t have that.

the only real romance is with bianca (because of the ring).

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
My boiled down opinion about the game is that it is a very ambitious effort that falls short in some areas but is quite novel in others. I am definitely interested in what Warhorse does next.

It is good for what it is, but I am counting on patches or mods to make it very good.

DoomIhlVaria

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here I'm very into cock and ball torture
PSA: Minor spoilers but i wish someone told me. Before you do the Monastery quest transfer all important items to your horse. Otherwise they will all be registered stolen. You can launder them back through a fence to mark them non stolen but it's a huge hassle..thankfully this offers a chance to dump any unwanted quest items but it' still poorly implemented. In fact the whole Monastery bit is a huge mess. Would be bad enough on its own if it was what it was, but you seem to constantly get in trouble unless you make a bee line from room to room which leads to frustratingly getting in trouble despite you being in the place you're supposed to be unless it's timed perfectly. Also you'e forced to use the wait function 4 times a day for like 4-5 days straight unless you wanna cheese the quest line. Dumb dumb dumb.
No, if you actually do what Radzig says and take the guy alive, the Bailiff will send a man to fetch all of your gear and it will be returned to you without the stolen status.

Inziladun

Magister
PSA: Minor spoilers but i wish someone told me. Before you do the Monastery quest transfer all important items to your horse. Otherwise they will all be registered stolen. You can launder them back through a fence to mark them non stolen but it's a huge hassle..thankfully this offers a chance to dump any unwanted quest items but it' still poorly implemented. In fact the whole Monastery bit is a huge mess. Would be bad enough on its own if it was what it was, but you seem to constantly get in trouble unless you make a bee line from room to room which leads to frustratingly getting in trouble despite you being in the place you're supposed to be unless it's timed perfectly. Also you'e forced to use the wait function 4 times a day for like 4-5 days straight unless you wanna cheese the quest line. Dumb dumb dumb.
No, if you actually do what Radzig says and take the guy alive, the Bailiff will send a man to fetch all of your gear and it will be returned to you without the stolen status.

That's good to know, but it also seems like the less desirable option. Although I suspect it doesn't matter in the end.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The needle in a haystack quest is seriously hampering my enjoyment with the game tbh.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The Theressa bitch is the worst,i steal for her the most expensive dresses in the city and she just tells me to come back tomorrow. :argh: Just want to pound her in the flour!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nobody cares about the romances per say, it's just that it seems like a big thing in the game for Henry but goes absolutely nowhere after you banged her - and from the perspective of the story it just seems... strange. Especially since you get the impression that she plays or will play a pretty important role in it. I mean, you meet her early, you can save her, she saves you, you hook up, does the medieval tango in bed and then nothing. I got the feeling in the game that this was more than just a casual thing, this was classic "movie-love", but as many other things in the game it just ends up in nothing. For two thirds of the game (if you plowed her early that is) there is no mention of her. Nobody mention her, not Henry not anyone.

This side-quest has the feeling like many other side-quests in the game, and that is instead of being quests, mission or whatever in the classical sense that tie into the story they act as some kind of medieval tourism. You get the see witches, the church in action, oh you get to live as a monk (main quest, but still) and with her quest you will get to feel what it could be like to hook up in the medieval times.

Nael

Arcane
Nobody cares about the romances per say, it's just that it seems like a big thing in the game for Henry but goes absolutely nowhere after you banged her - and from the perspective of the story it just seems... strange. Especially since you get the impression that she plays or will play a pretty important role in it. I mean, you meet her early, you can save her, she saves you, you hook up, does the medieval tango in bed and then nothing. I got the feeling in the game that this was more than just a casual thing, this was classic "movie-love", but as many other things in the game it just ends up in nothing. For two thirds of the game (if you plowed her early that is) there is no mention of her. Nobody mention her, not Henry not anyone.

This side-quest has the feeling like many other side-quests in the game, and that is instead of being quests, mission or whatever in the classical sense that tie into the story they act as some kind of medieval tourism. You get the see witches, the church in action, oh you get to live as a monk (main quest, but still) and with her quest you will get to feel what it could be like to hook up in the medieval times.

You even get to RP as the Medieval Pool Boy with Lady Stephanie. 10/10 goty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom