Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

DraQ

Arcane
As of the newest patch the music ceased to work for me. It works in the main menu, but after the game proper starts it no longer does.
Other sounds seem to work OK - quality is good, there is no stutter or corruption artefacts, although there does seem to be minuscule lag present sometimes and I think I have noticed an issue with background banter repeating itself (as if characters said their lines twice in quick succession).
:x
Guys, WTF?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://digitaldragons.pl/programme/speakers/borislav-slavov/

Digital Dragons 2018
21-22 May 2018, Krakow, Poland

Borislav Slavov
Larian Studios
Divinity: Original SIn 2 Soundtrack and the Future of the Adaptive Music in Video Games

Speech description

Borislav Slavov will present the following features from Divinity: Original Sin 2 soundtrack:

Part I
– Select Your Origin Music Instrument
– Six Origin Main Themes – A different tune for every Origin Character
– Music change from Major to Minor in real-time.

Part II
What is the future of the music in the video games? – Music, which not just changes but adapts and evolves in real-time, according to the players decisions, actions and choices.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
That might be a interesting talk. Despite almost everything in the game being shit, the music was top notch.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Top notch might be stretching it but I really did enjoy it. You probably didn't get far enough to hear a quarter of it.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Just dropping here to say that Divinity OS II is super boring shit game. It was probably said before:

- Sorry, but i don't see how the story/setting is improved compared to the first game with all the bazilion hired writers. I am not drawn in in any way, skip through all the shit dialog to get to the last redeeming quality of the game: pew pewing enemies with muh awesome powers. I don't care about anything, in fact killing everyone before moving to the next act is pretty mandatory.

- From the shit load of time i've already spent on the game, i was probably playing doll dress up half the time because equipment becomes useless so fast (and munchkin autism maybe)

- Wierdly enough i am always "overleveled" for encounters, which makes them trivial.

I was mildly intrigued at the beginning, but now i am just continuing solely on my autistic power to draw a bit of fun in removing enemies HP.

In conclusion: Although i like Larian and admire both games for technical quality and coop, i have to admit, i just won't bother with the OS III, if setting and mecahnics are not changed drastically.

Hopefully they have something different with their sci-fi game.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Reposting my mini-review because, well, I'm a collossal egocentrical dickhead. Some of the con's have probably been fixed by recent patches, eh, maybe it can warrant another playthrough, this time also with mods.

Good stuff
- The writing and overall story
seems much improved from D:OS 1, but overall still shit compared to many many other cRPGs. Still, I feel abit more engaged in the story, and I guess that's a plus. The writing tries to be serious and
it shows, but it just doesn't really strike a nerve, it's still too goofy and whimsical. The story kind of apes some of the
classical fantasy clichés, and even borrows alot from PoE. The Chosen one stories get boring in the end, and D:OS 2 in
so different in that regard. It's so hard to care about the story, but at least Larian tried this time.

- The music has been improved, and is actually quite nice all throughout. Really liked it.

- Itemization is a bit better than D:OS 1, but overall still bad compared to other cRPGs

- Graphics have been touched up, and look ok/decent for the most part, though not really that much different from
D:OS 1

- The sounds have been improved, and alot of the ambience, skill sounds and so on are nice.

- The combat is still great. It was great in D:OS 1, and it hasn't really changed much. It's definitely one of the core
strengths of the games, and it continues to be so. It has alot of variety in terms of builds and skills and that's fun.
There are, however, still glaring flaws which will be touched under Con's.

Bad stuff
- The combat system:
NO FUCKING COMBAT SPEED SLIDER - FUCK YOU SWEN FOR WASTING MY LIFE ON
WATCHING ANIMATIONS FINISH. I don't have as big a problem with the new combat system as most here, but I still
find it kind of limiting and annoying, how the armour and magic armour has been implemented. I get that D:OS 1 was
too cheesey, but there's gotta be a middle way, rather than the implementation in D:OS 2. The broken initiative is
fucking retarded, and the armor changes are hard to ignore.

- The dialogue system is generally retarded. Why a 3rd person narrator? Very very unecessecary and kills the
experience somewhat.

- Not really any apparent C&C or reactivity so far, perhaps I'm missing it from the quests.

- The voice acting is, for the most part, annoying and boring. Actors sound very much alike, and not many NPC's truly
stand out as something else. I feel they should have just gone with voices for important characters, and then made
them more impactful... which leads to

- The narrator. P. annoying, especially voiced. I mean, I kind of like it at times, but mostly it's an annoyance the way
it's structured in the dialogue system

- The UI is simply a fucking clusterfuck. Nothing from the problems of D:OS 1 seems to be absolved. The UI is very
clunky, it's annoying because there's alot of drag drop, not enough quality of life buttons and features. There's no
highlight button for interactables (only on controller) and I hate the camera work, because it requires alot of uneeedy
panning and turning all the time, which takes from the experience. There's tons of micromanagement issues with
items and interactables that gets very nitty gritty and very timeconsuming.

- Crafting still sucks and I never used it because of all the items you get, and there's an incomplete amount of recipes,
not in the game.

- Not enough new skills, and some skill trees have very few cool skills. Especially necromancy, doesn't really feel like
a true necro build. I expected D:OS 2 to have alot more new spells n shit compared to D:OS 1. Overall D:OS 2 feels
less tactical and limited, because the skills themselves don't really offer anything special.
- It seems the game does have quite a few bugs, mostly to do with quests. I had several quests that I couldn't
finish, and some where just straight up bugged and didn't go further. I've also managed to bug the game when talking
to NPC's, and couldnt interact with anybody after that.

Conclusion:
The game plays like an expansion, it really does. A nice expansion, but an expansion nontheless. Or what the D:OS 1 EE should have been, but wasn't. I feel like this game needed more UMPF - more value for the money, to truly call itself a sequel. Too bad, maybe next time, Larian.

Rating: 6,5/10

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Poland was a mistake.

Im from Poland and i kind of agree. Would be better if we stayed as a part of german empire :P Right now, we again lean to the eastern civilization...

but you're a part of the German empire once again, as cleaning maids, hookers and generally exploited physical workforce. Fuck yeah Jermoney

Nothing wrong with that, everyone has to start somewhere to achieve the civilized, cultured status and build the wealth. Better than staying with the backwards russians. And Poles have very similar mindset to russians, so letting them govern themselves means they will adopt the same retarded russian anti-democratic or anti-repubublican system.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
A lot, if not all, of the Eastern Bloc would've benefited greatly had they been absorbed by a Western country, but that's neither here nor there. Anyway, I didn't take a picture of it, but there's a poster going around my academy of a concert with video game music in which D:OS2 will be present, along with the physical presence of Borislav Slavov, along with Elitsa Alexandrova (composer of Asscreed: Origins) and Penka Kouneva (composer of Prince of Persia). Being in the musical sphere myself, I might be able to talk to him if he comes to the academy for a seminar or something. If that's the case, does anyone have any questions I could ask? Keep in mind that it's not a 100% sure thing.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Poland was a mistake.

Im from Poland and i kind of agree. Would be better if we stayed as a part of german empire :P Right now, we again lean to the eastern civilization...

but you're a part of the German empire once again, as cleaning maids, hookers and generally exploited physical workforce. Fuck yeah Jermoney

Nothing wrong with that, everyone has to start somewhere to achieve the civilized, cultured status and build the wealth. Better than staying with the backwards russians. And Poles have very similar mindset to russians, so letting them govern themselves means they will adopt the same retarded russian anti-democratic or anti-repubublican system.

You think your people can learn something about democracy from the Germans? Let me tell you a story son

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Poland was a mistake.

You think your people can learn something about democracy from the Germans? Let me tell you a story son

I've said STAYING AS A PART OF GERMAN EMPIRE, not nazi germany. And history could be different if Poland was part of the german empire, nazis might not rose to power.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom