Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

muds_animal_friend: There's also a disturbing amount of Codexers who own console controllers.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Just use mouse and keyboard for games that are best on mouse and keyboard and keep a controller for the rest. Don't understand what's the difficulty here, PC is superior precisely because we can do whatever the fuck we want on it.
what is this rest you speak of? where is a controller superior to m&kb?

Deflowerer

Arcane
Because when I emulate a console game, I will play it on a keyboard. Yeah, right.

But in general, I personally dislike playing action games that rely on combos with kb+m, clicking the mouse just doesn't feel right.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Any game where analog movement is superior to digital. You have finer control.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Because when I emulate a console game, I will play it on a keyboard. Yeah, right.

But in general, I personally dislike playing action games that rely on combos with kb+m, clicking the mouse just doesn't feel right.
what good rpgs are you emulating?

Delterius

Arcane
third person action games pretty much
Only if the camera is locked or the port is horrible.
Not really.
Yes, really.
trust me on this
how is it superior there? and why do people who like third person action games hang around the codex?

when you play some action mmo and need 30+ keybindings just for basic abilities, then M+KB is fundamental and also because of the camera

when you play a mindless twitch third person rpg like dork souls, oblivion and elex (as well as other autistic garbage by piranha bytes), you might as well use a controller

why did you create a general hardware thread on the rpg forum

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Only if the camera is locked or the port is horrible.
Not really.
Yes, really.
trust me on this
how is it superior there? and why do people who like third person action games hang around the codex?

when you play some action mmo and need 30+ keybindings just for basic abilities, then M+KB is fundamental and also because of the camera

when you play a mindless twitch third person rpg like dork souls, oblivion and elex (as well as other autistic garbage by piranha bytes), you might as well use a controller

why did you create a general hardware thread on the rpg forum, isn't that kinda retarded

"might as well..." interesting

why does it trigger you?

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Reapa

the general rpg forum shouldn't be sullied by joysticks

you committed a great sin which shall not be forgotten

you must repent
the general rpg forum is getting sullied by elex, twitchers, nu fallouts...
not one mod moves that shit to general gaming.
i make a thread about the console controller, the probably biggest reason why there's even a difference between games made for pc and games made for console and it gets insta moved.

Krivol

Magister
This thread..

1*WDjZjHHbd4-6GFGM4r-WuQ.png

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

That's why you have a keyboard. You use the keyboard for combos.

Also, games like Super Mario Bros work so much better on a keyboard than a controller, it's incredible. You can use *all* your fingers instead of just the thumbs! Whoa!

Deflowerer

Arcane

Also, games like Super Mario Bros work so much better on a keyboard than a controller, it's incredible. You can use *all* your fingers instead of just the thumbs! Whoa!

Keyboard for combos? Are we talking about using numpad here, because anything else with WASD setup is gay.

I mean, unless it's an older microcomputer game, I'm not going to play a game on a keyboard if it doesn't use the functionality of the mouse.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For jump and run games, the usual layout is arrow keys + either asyx or ctrl alt space for the actions.

Super easy and smooth, much better than using those gamepad buttons with your thumb only.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

2D platformers are actually the genre where being able to use multiple fingers provides no benefit. It's the worst example imaginable.

That said, with the poor quality of d-pads on popular console controllers, there is a case to be made for playing them on a keyboard. For games where precise movement in all directions, diagonals included, is important - shmups being the most obvious example - a decent keyboard will likely be better than the average d-pad, and arguably on par with an arcade stick. A non-insignificant number of the best western shmup superplayers use keyboards. For example:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I tried playing Dragon's Dogma on the PC with KB+ M but I refunded it immediately. It just played like ass without a proper controller. Since I already owned the game on a PS3 I decided I'd just stick with that. I could always plug a controller on my PC but I can just as easily turn on my console as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom