Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is it fair to kick someone who COMPLETELY unbalances the matches every time?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Good question is what "is" good. Last year I played Rising Storm 2 and Verdun and they both began to bore me quickly.

TheRedSnifit

Educated
Good question is what "is" good. Last year I played Rising Storm 2 and Verdun and they both began to bore me quickly.

Rising Storm and Verdun are both games that are explicitly designed around what's good for realism over what's good for gameplay. No surprise you got bored quickly.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Lol, Max Payne 3 is shit but at least the guy managed to git gud at it. That makes him the Turd King I guess.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Ironically, one of the reasons I don't play this as much anymore is because so many people kick me now. They just assume I cheat or don't want me there because I'm too good. Fun mechanics, but worst multiplayer community I've ever been a part of. The only times I ever voted was when someone was obviously cheating or being an insufferable jackass. This was an exception, but the guy who convinced me this other guy cheated was later revealed to be a massive cheater himself.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Rising Storm and Verdun are both games that are explicitly designed around what's good for realism over what's good for gameplay. No surprise you got bored quickly.

The realism did not bore me. It was the idea to play the same tiny 6 maps over and over, with a hard core of other guys who know every meter of them. Those competitive multiplayer games should put you in an arena that the size of Arma 3 and they would be much more even again.

Ocelot

Learned
The host should be able to boot whoever he wants to. It's not a matter of what is fair and what isn't. If the host wants more balanced teams, he should kick that one guy who avoids players of equal skill.

only fighting games provide a legitimate field for competitive gaming in video games

Completely and utterly delusional oh and your genre is dying by the way.

Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
If it has a votekick system and enough people vote to kick the person then so be it. Although I would say that if it is a team based game and a single player on the opposing team is enough to weigh every match in their favor then your own team needs to get their shit together.

This is why I like objective based games since it gives an avenue to outplay someone who is simply getting a lot of kills. There can be a sniper in TF2 or RO getting dozens of kills but their team still loses utterly. Although then in games like RS2 or any others there is a lot of a clan stacking, which I can't stand. Especially if they are using a voice server outside of the game, and have someone on your side that can relay information to the rest of them. Can make victory especially sweet if you do manage to win against a stacked team, though. Moments like landing an RPG shot on a cobra that's been farming kills off your side the entire round is particularly nice.

ortucis

Prophet
I've been playing SWAT 4 online since 2005.

The thing about SWAT 4 is that, every weapon and armor is available to EVERY player from the start. There are no fucking unlocks. Everyone is given same gear.

And still, there are some players who have the best ping and reflexes, and they can dominate the opposing side completely. No one leaves. Everyone plays and tries to beat them. Some DO whine but even they stay there (but thank "god" when those hardcore players drop).

Just saying, this "kick cause that guy is too skilled" shit is laughed upon and all servers which used to do that in SWAT 4, died, fast. Even the players who were total noobs would stop visiting a server run by some twat who kicks people for being better gamers.

Burning Bridges

There are limits. In no other sports you compete against the best in the world. How much fun would it be to play tennis or chess against a world class player? Of course, that would still be something you can do once in your life but in the internet you play against some dude who is probably not even that good, just has some advantage by daily playing. There should at least be different classes like <100 hours, 100-1000 hours and "u.r.insane"

Also I just don't like people who spend their entire life playing the same games, and I would eventually kick them from my server. And yes, I picked up some fps "friends" on Steam which I can monitor and who seem to be playing every day since a year or so - no wonder they are good.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The best games are those with adaptive team balancing mechanics. This guy's team won 5 times in a row? Rearrange teams so his teammates are all noobs. They keep winning anyway? Rearrange again so it's 12 vs 8. Can he still dominate Capture the Flag when it's 18 vs 1? Push things to the point where both sides have a fighting chance but have to try their best to win.

ortucis

Prophet
There are limits. In no other sports you compete against the best in the world. How much fun would it be to play tennis or chess against a world class player? Of course, that would still be something you can do once in your life but in the internet you play against some dude who is probably not even that good, just has some advantage by daily playing. There should at least be different classes like <100 hours, 100-1000 hours and "u.r.insane"

Also I just don't like people who spend their entire life playing the same games, and I would eventually kick them from my server. And yes, I picked up some fps "friends" on Steam which I can monitor and who seem to be playing every day since a year or so - no wonder they are good.

The easiest solution is to just put "No PRO Players" in your server name. If some hardcore players still end up joining, then it makes sense to kick them. But if you're just running a normal server and end up with players who can fuck you up, kicking them is a dick move.

Also, a lot of people play a same game for "entire" life cause it's the only game they find fun (online usually). I've tried so many MP games, from RS Siege to Battlefield and still only play SWAT 4 since I find other MP games boring and joyless crap with "level ups" and unlocks bullshit. Don't complain if others play something enough to becomes really good at it. Not everyone jumps from one game to another like others do.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why is this question so poorly received?
If I go sparring and get paired with someone I completely outclass, I focus on my least developed techniques and try to give the other one a hint or two. That way I can profit, he can profit, and no one needs to feel bad.
If I started roughing up first timers in sparring sessions just cause I can, I'd be booted from the gym in no time, and rightfully so.

sser

Arcane
Developer
CS:Source servers used to ban me for thinking I was cheating. Which is stupid cause I played against the high tier players occasionally and they were another world apart from me. A lot of them would also get chucked out of pub servers. Kicking the good players is just lame, but I kinda get it. The cheating accusation bothered me a lot, though.

Gregz

Arcane
Let's say that before this person showed up, the matches were pretty close. Now that he and perhaps his friend are here, his team is winning with three or four times as many points, consistently. People are no longer trying their best because they know they won't win anyway. He uses the best gear and has far faster aim and reaction speed. It's a dog against a tiger. Other players could leave, but they might not find another populated room, and if they do, he might follow anyway. Should a kick system just be used for cheaters and rude people?

The correct solution is to stack teams against the player just enough to keep the win ratio at 50%.

I stopped playing CS and other online shooters because the opposite tends to happen, all the good players join the same side and use everyone else for target practice. That is shit gameplay.

mbv123

Arbiter
"WAAAH, SOMEONE IS BETTER THAN ME IN A GAME, IT'S NOT FUCKING FAIR, WAAAH"
Unless you have solid proof he's cheating, you either suck it up and git gud or kick him like the pussy faggot you are.

TedNugent

Arcane

The realism did not bore me. It was the idea to play the same tiny 6 maps over and over, with a hard core of other guys who know every meter of them. Those competitive multiplayer games should put you in an arena that the size of Arma 3 and they would be much more even again.
Funny, I did not play the game when it released, but I have spent around a quarter of my playtime downloading maps that are hundreds of meters across. You can even see that between each capture point, the distances are measured in the hundreds of meters on the in-game interface. I can provide pictures if you are interested.

Compare that to a Dust-Dust2 infinite rotation or the Insurgency-size maps, please. Or better yet, compare it to Call of Duty :lol: Your commentary is ridiculous, not to mention false

The great thing about most games is that you can usually improve hugely very quickly if you try. Most reasonably competent people playing any game can end up in the top 10% of players fairly quickly if they consciously try to get better and try to think of ways to get better. They won't win against the 0.1% that compete in tournaments for years, but they'll put up a reasonable fight and be able to trash pubs. This is fairly universal across genres, RTS, FPS, Fighting games, RPGs. Most people just don't really try. This is quite different from sports where you'll probably never improve your percentile more than 20 points unless you seriously exercise and train, because physical activities are much harder to adapt to than mental.

CS:Source servers used to ban me for thinking I was cheating. Which is stupid cause I played against the high tier players occasionally and they were another world apart from me. A lot of them would also get chucked out of pub servers. Kicking the good players is just lame, but I kinda get it. The cheating accusation bothered me a lot, though.

Same happened to me in lots of FPSs.

I think the funniest incidences were in L4D. Even in non-versus expert difficulty I'd end levels and have twice the kills of the rest of the team combined. Not just the specials, which you'd expect a better player to pick out and prioritize well, but common infected too. The guys that are literally everywhere and that you'd expect everyone to kill pretty evenly. But no, most people just hadn't figured out how to burst well, how to position yourself to shoot through lines of enemies, how 3 people shooting through the same doorway is wasting 2/3rds of the shots, how it's more useful to actually cover spots that aren't covered and look around during reloads to figure out what's going on. Just simple spatial awareness and being able to figure out what's going on during action is huge, and the kill-edge persisted even into competitive play*. Eventually I got banned from a bunch of tournaments because one of the big guys swore I cheated. Honestly my aim has always kind of sucked in FPS too.

*Not that it really means much for games like that, big fish in small pond deal.

Last edited:
back when i was somebody in mechwarrior 4, i took pride in being kicked from servers for being too good. oh, tasty salty admin tears... and it was good for me too after all: i wouldn't have learnt anything by staying there, i needed a tougher challenge. i thank every kick, i took them as an admission of inferiority.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom