Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Bohr

Arcane
And a couple of answers to questions sparked by the video

7iy8hk.png

Pi8zvw.png

ArchAngel

Arcane
Only thing I am afraid about this game is that variety of enemies during missions is going to be really really bad. I hope they tweaked enemy AI so different types of mechs play a lot differently and give you different battle experience.
If they are all going to be just standing in one spot and shooting same stuff at you every mission it is going to become boring after 5 missions.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Nice, lots of RPG-ish multiple choice event type stuff seen there. Wonder why they've been downplaying that stuff. I guess it doesn't have long-term plot branching consequences but it's still cool.
I doubt they are downplaying. This is a very Todd moment. "See that sector? You can conquer it."

When he speaks of many types of missions, he mentions three. I sure hope that there are more than 3 types.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I doubt they are downplaying.

They were downplaying it before this. The game's tactical combat layer has gotten all the attention because that's what the beta contains. There have been no recent Kickstarter updates and very few articles in the media detailing the type of stuff you see in that video. In interviews Mitch Gitelman even went out of his way to say "This isn't an RPG, there's no choice". You'd have no idea the game has CYOA sequences at all.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
"This isn't an RPG, there's no choice"

and that's the right attitude to have instead of feeding zealous player expectations who just crave for the opportunity to imagine and project the wildest shit (see Star Citizen) and after you underdeliver in their view, they start to bitch about it on the internets and making the game look bad in the eyes of others

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I would be more worried about lack of mission types, lack of gameplay variety than lack of choice or rpg elements in the strategic layer. This is a tactical strategy game after all... If the combat gets old fast than the game will be a disaster.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
I would be more worried about lack of mission types, lack of gameplay variety than lack of choice or rpg elements in the strategic layer. This is a tactical strategy game after all... If the combat gets old fast than the game will be a disaster.
Pretty much. There is a good chance that the game despite having a great mech-anic might become repetitive due to the nature of freeform missions.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Been looking forward to the game. Shame that Shadowrun: Returns was a disappointment but HBS sorted themselves out with Dragonfall and Hong Kong imo.

I replayed 'Returns' recently and it's really not as bad as many people make it. A 'light 7' compared to the 'strong 8s' of its successors.

I wish they kept actionpoints for Battletech, not sure about the combat. I watched an earlier build, where a legged Centurion could get up, around an enemy mech and knock him down - seemed weird.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

Personally, if I didn't got bored playing MechCommander for the first time two years ago, I don't think I'll get bored in this one IF the game is properly balanced, brings a challenge at the tactical and ship/squad management level and if has an art style that is polished and sophisticated.

Challenge is the antidote of boredom in any game.

Untitled568458.png

so the only difference in planets is color? A la MAss Effect 3 style? :)

also from the trailer, the ship upgrade has only nine sections

power systems
structure
drive system
habitat pods

med bays
recreation

mech bays
repair&refit
training modules

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Would look better just the bust on the slate instead of that metal column. You know battle brothers style.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Huh. So if a Jagermech is considered to be MAX RANGE (from looking at those stupid bars), where does that leave a mech with an ER-PPC or a Gauss Rifle? I had to google these to check out tabletop ranges, but these were always my weapons of choice for long-range "sniper" mech loadouts.

ER PPCs and gauss rifles aren't officially in the game. We all know they will be, but the devs are pretending it's all level 1 tech. Also they're shorter range than AC2s anyway.

PorkBarrellGuy

ER PPCs and gauss rifles aren't officially in the game. We all know they will be, but the devs are pretending it's all level 1 tech. Also they're shorter range than AC2s anyway.

Isn't the MINIMUM range of an AC2 something like roughly Medium Laser range?

Bohr

Arcane
Oh and still a few slots left for the meetup at the end of the month if any interested Codexers are in the area...

Isn't the MINIMUM range of an AC2 something like roughly Medium Laser range?
Yep. AC2s are pretty extreme weapons. They're amazingly good at the things they're good at (range, ammo, heat, space), and amazingly terrible at what they're not (they weigh 6 tons and only do 2 damage!?). Though thankfully this game is buffing them so they're not quite so weak.

Black

Arcane
Tips during loading times are an amazing idea, I love not being able to read any tip because game loads too fast.

PorkBarrellGuy

Tips during loading times are an amazing idea, I love not being able to read any tip because game loads too fast.
Most loading screen tips are brain-dead obvious shit anyway. Only exception I can think of off the top of my head is Grim Dawn which actually had a few useful ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom