Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game introduced you to the genre?

Cael

Arcane
Shit on the water, you're right.

I always assumed World of Lonwolf, was some king of Titan/Out of the Pit style guide.

I read Joe Dever's "Freeway Warrior" series, it was great.
Freeway Warrior was pretty good, although Dever once again knocked off every last one of any NPC who joins you on a mission. There is nothing more dangerous than going on a mission with Lone Wolf or Cal Phoenix (my character's name in Fallout 2 :D ). Worse than red shirts.

At least he didn't do that with World of Lone Wolf, which was a complete change of pace for him.

Oh, and if you guys want to play the Lone Wolf series, there is a program you can download, together with all of the books, that allow you to play them as a computerised version of the books. It is called Seventh Sense. Currently, you can play up to book 17 on that, but the maker is adding more books. It takes him quite a while to get a book done, though.

Last edited:

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I think I was hooked by Heroes of Might & Magic 2. I liked how the systems look complex and enjoyed getting better heroes much more than all the strategy.

Then there was Final Fantasy 8 around same time. Back then it looked like a movie and I was a teenager so I was in love with it. But then playing with all the systems and getting stronger really hooked me. Only later I tried Fallout, Arcanum and (even later) Morrowind. I appreciated their worldbuilding and relative freedom but it was always a little sad to me that this freedom is severely limited. Didn't play many JRPGs since but still wondering if their linear story/non-linear character development is a better approach. A limited freedom feels even more disappointing compared to systemic approach of JRPGs and strategy games with RPG elements like Heroes of Might & Magic.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Morrowind (for the Xbox). I was about 13 years old and I remember just being blown away at the storytelling and world design. I still think it is one of the best in those aspects.

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
Phantasy Star.
One of the Gold Box (Krynn?) was the first crpg. Crusaders let me skip (mostly) all other genres on my high end 486

Generic-Giant-Spider

Technically, Darklands when visiting relatives in Germany and had a computer. I thought it was the sickest looking game ever even though I didn't know what was going on since I was a dipshit kid. Actually had zero clue what the game was called until like a decade ago when I did a huge internet search for it.

I did buy Baldur's Gate 1 over a PS1 I was slowly saving for because I thought the skull on the box looked rad and the back of the box had the game talking shit to your manhood and zero screenshots or anything to get you hyped up. And here I am.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
1043_dbs1.png

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
combo of dragon quest 1 and final fantasy 1 on the NES.

first non-jrpg I played was one of the Lord of the Rings RPGs for DOS/PC.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I can't remember exactly which one it was but I borrowed Dark Sun Shattered Lands and MMV: World of Xeen at one point in the mid 90s

Comte

Pools of Darkness on DOS was the first RPG I played. A buddy of mine had several computers including a C64 with the rest of the gold box games. We played pen and paper rpgs and when I visited his house I got to play gold box for the first time. Later he introduced me to the Ultima series and Wasteland.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Early on, Eye of the Beholder and some older obscure RPGs I don't remember the names of, but I didn't really get into CRPGs until I played Fallout.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Duke Nukem 3D.

I roleplayed a blond Bruce Willis.

(I was 12-13, so my roleplaying skills were still top notch, and this was possible)

Last edited:

Ocelot

Learned
Neverwinter nights 1 + Shadows of undrentide pack.

The game was too much for my young self, so I neither finished it nor I played it "correctly". But I liked it's role-playing aspect a lot, which led me into playing more RPGs. Before that, I'd only play shooters and action games because I was still too young and dumb for "slower" genres. For my first playthrough, I built a boring, holier-than-thou Paladin guy who was neither a good tank/healer nor a good fighter, just all-around shitty. Then I built a new guy from scratch for the expansion's story. And I dropped both for one reason or another. But it was a fun experience, somehow.

I've promised to myself that I'd reinstall it some day to properly play it and finish it but I haven't done so yet. By the way, is the Diamond edition worth buying or should I install from the old disks instead? Is the 2nd expansion good?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not sure about the versions. Think Diamond was supposed to be all right. But I used to install from original discs.

Anyway, if you're playing NWN1 official content (there are some good mods there, you know), Hordes of the Underdark is mandatory! It's the best campaign, by far.

Risewild

Arbiter
First RPGs I remember playing:

jRPG: - Final Fantasy - NES
Action RPG: - The Legend of Zelda - NES
Strategy jRPG - Shining Force - Genesis/Mega Drive
Strategy RPG - Jagged Alliance - MS-DOS
cRPG: - Albion - MS-DOS

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i learned a lot of english words from playing video games. I remember I learned what egress was from Shining Force 1

:)

Blackstaff

Arbiter
Ultima 4.

Tried to replay it recently, but the game is puzzle for 99% of the fun (which I remembered quite well), and the rest is in the shitty combat. Still, it's a very special game for me. A game I never found any equivalent later on.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
Hillsfar on the C64. It was a spin-off of the Gold Box Series and basically a collection of mini-games rather than a proper RPG. First proper RPG I played was Curse Of The Azure Bonds, the sequel to Pool Of Radiance.

The Gold Box series was pure greatness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom