Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

agris

Arcane
Patron
Oh hey, 1.3.4 is about to be released. The patchnotes have already been posted!

Added in version 1.3.4
• Adding nVidia Ansel
• Adding ShadowPlay Highlights
• Bugfix: Random encounters during fast-travel

:negative:

Smejki why nvidia exclusives instead of scripting and texture fixes?

Elex

Arbiter
Actually the game is incredibly historically inaccurate because Captain Bernard is Larry the Cable Guy.

Px8WqZ6.jpg
DZmewk5.jpg

Who's laughing now, Warhorse?
there is a mod that change legs armor for captain bernard?

i mean, WHY? WHY that armor choise?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I must say, after about 50 hours, I just stopped playing without finishing the game.
Now, that is a lot of time, at least for me - most games I put away after playing less than 20-25 hours, either because I finished them or I get bored.
So I still consider this one a "pretty good" game with even some excellent aspects to it.

But after playing for 30 hours or so, there just isn't a challenge anymore. I rode the best horse, was fully equipped, filthy rich and was beating everyone in single combat with nothing but single attacks and blocking (and countering). Combos are useless - not required against weak enemies and stronger ones just counter them anyway.
And fighting larger groups is only possible with bows or cheesing anyway, meleeing more than 2 or 3 at once impossible if they aren't some poor beggars.

I just did some more quests the last 15 hours, but without any kind of challenging gameplay in-between it just couldn't keep my interest.
Henry was also never really someone I could identify with. Too much of a... well... peasant. Guess that just doesn't suit an elitist like me very well :lol:

In the end, the big "realistic" combat turned out to be really nice to look at, but gameplay wise I'd pick M&B over this any day.

But the time from hour 3 to 25 or so, where you grow from a lowly peasant to steel-clad monster, was really captivating.
So maybe, in the next game, more of that and less of a world that is too large for the gameplay it offers.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah I think it's a general consensus that after 30-40 hours the charm wears off a bit and you're just pushing yourself to finish the main questline. Still, those first 30 hours was by the best AAA-RPG gaming I've had since 10 years ago when New Vegas came out.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After getting my swordsmanship, warfare, strength, agility and defence all above level 10....I still can't do fuck-all. Where do I find some quests that are at least close to my level? I'm getting a little tired of running into bandits I can't combo or counter effectively.

What equipment are you using? Combos are not really worth pursuing. You should be able to beat almost anything at those levels. All I can think is that you’re using lousy gear or doing something wrong. Have you done the master strike tutorial with Bernard?

Tigranes

Arcane
Combos are possible but very hard to pull off, because you're nearly always going to get interrupted. It's all about parrying and timing your strikes.

Training endlessly, stealing from everybody, or 'farming' shit are going to make for a horribly horribly boring experience IMO. Don't do it to yourself. It's not really a challenging game or powergaming game or tactical game of any kind. Just ride around, do shit (or, if you don't like that, quit).

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
You shouldn't really have issues with 1 v 1 if you vary it up.
The winning move is the patient one, waiting for the attack that comes and block into a master strike.
But that's boring.

The aggressive move is to get in close and tap the block button (Q) to enter a clinch, tap your attack buttons to win and stagger the enemy. That's your chance to attack. If you lose the clinch, just recover stamina and stay on defense before trying again.

Alternatively you can follow Captain Bernard's advice and use feints to switch direction mid swing.
Or, if you know a swing is coming, you can counter it with a thrust (RMB) since the swing is slower than a thrust.
Being proactive and trying to test the AI blocking speed with rapid attacks doesn't pay off even in Vanilla. Unless you catch them half asleep at dawn in their camp.

If the above still fails, remember to use Alchemy pre-fight. They're really cost-effective.

Artemisia: +5 STR & WARFARE, green-vision. Big boost to damage.
Bivoj's Rage: +50% Damage. HUGE damage boost.
Buck's Blood: 50% Damage reduction. Really nonsensical.
Bane poison: Does damage over time, apply to weapon - slow but effective.
Embrocation: +5 AGI & DEFENSE
Vitality: +50% Max Stamina, huge help when you want to chain strikes.

honorable-duel.jpg

RK47

Patron
Go check Rattay alchemist shop for recipe and start brewing in the lab behind the building.
If you can't afford it, then buy the pre-made potions.

For exotic ones like Padfoot (+5 to all thieving skills) and Bane poison (100 damage over time) you have to check with female herbalists located in the wilds.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
RPG gamers: give us realistic-simulation kind of game.
Also RPG gamers: I played your realistic-simulation game, I used every gamey trick I know, and I become a God in 5 hours, this game sucks.

Every. Fucking. Time.

It should be self-explanatory. With games that aim for realism, you need to learn to self-restrict your natural gaming instincts to farm, grind and look for shortcuts. Because exactly the same features and systems that make things appear realistic, will usually break the game if used in a gamey way.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Because exactly the same features and systems that make things appear realistic, will usually break the game if used in a gamey way.

First I brofisted but then thought about it and...not really.

What really breaks the game is the systems tied to stealing, looting and fighting are only half-way to where they should be. They're undercooked.

You get way too rich way too soon because the "stolen" tag disappears way too fast. It probably shouldn't disappear at all (stolen meat tag definitely shouldn't disappear by roasting the meat). The only way to sell stolen shit should be the fencers and they should have a limited amount of purchasing power (both limited money and the willingness to buy big expensive shit). Also stealing gets too easy very quick, people are too oblivious to you rummaging through their houses.

Plus the preorder gear is way too OP for how early in the game you can get it. But that's an RPG tradition since time immemorial, preorder shit is always OP, always out of place and you should never buy it.

And lastly your late game attack/defense scales very poorly. You shouldn't be able to two-hit even elite mobs. Also masterstrokes are too OP and combos useless.

All that is not because people try to break the game, the problem is the game is just too easy to break. But Warhorse don't have to change their realism approach whatsoever, all they need to do to fix it is just tighten up some loose screws, that's it.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Because exactly the same features and systems that make things appear realistic, will usually break the game if used in a gamey way.

First I brofisted but then thought about it and...not really.

What really breaks the game is the systems tied to stealing, looting and fighting are only half-way to where they should be. They're undercooked.

You get way too rich way too soon because the "stolen" tag disappears way too fast. It probably shouldn't disappear at all (stolen meat tag definitely shouldn't disappear by roasting the meat). The only way to sell stolen shit should be the fencers and they should have a limited amount of purchasing power (both limited money and the willingness to buy big expensive shit). Also stealing gets too easy very quick, people are too oblivious to you rummaging through their houses.

Plus the preorder gear is way too OP for how early in the game you can get it. But that's an RPG tradition since time immemorial, preorder shit is always OP, always out of place and you should never buy it.

And lastly your late game attack/defense scales very poorly. You shouldn't be able to two-hit even elite mobs. Also masterstrokes are too OP and combos useless.

All that is not because people try to break the game, the problem is the game is just too easy to break. But Warhorse don't have to change their realism approach whatsoever, all they need to do to fix it is just tighten up some loose screws, that's it.

Yeah, I can't agree with any of that. For a free roam, open world RPG, KCD is already far more restrictive in terms of player movement than any similar game I can think of.

Yes, selling to the fencers doesn't work perfect, but at least there are fencers. Stolen loot doesn't work perfect, but at least there are stolen loot tags. Steatlh system isn't perfect, but it still quite sophisticated with people reacting to sounds, movement and having to actually wear thief clothing if you want to sneak around in the night. Lockpicking system actually requires mastering and failure to open a lock can alert the guards. The inhabitants of the house will follow you if you poke around too long.

Can some of those features be improved? Probably.But we are used to playing shoddily designed games where gamey behaviors are rewarded, instinct sometimes overtakes good sense. It's not that people try to break the game - they just do what they usually do in an RPG, and it breaks the game, because this isn't a traditional RPG.

So polishing the systems - yes please, but ultimately if the player wants to have that realistic feel, he needs to exercise some self-control over his instincts to grind and farm.

I have the same problem with unlimited save mod. If you use that, you will probably not be able to resist save-scumming chests, you will level your lockpicking in unnatural way, and that will end up breaking the game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
but ultimately if the player wants to have that realistic feel, he needs to exercise some self-control over his instincts to grind and farm.

You wouldn't need self control if the game systems worked properly. The fact you get too rich and OP too quick doesn't have anything to do with realism, at least you haven't provided any specific arguments why it should.

What features and why they make it easier to break the game than a fantasy RPG?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
but ultimately if the player wants to have that realistic feel, he needs to exercise some self-control over his instincts to grind and farm.

You wouldn't need self control if the game systems worked properly. The fact you get too rich and OP too quick doesn't have anything to do with realism, at least you haven't provided any specific arguments why it should.

You will always need self-control, because while systems can be polished, even the most polished system needs to be beatable. If it's beatable, it can be gamed and we are experts at finding ways to game the system without even realizing it.

What features and why they make it easier to break the game than a fantasy RPG?

For example, the fact that enemies use the same stats, equipment and skills as you do. This is a fair and realistic system, but think about it - NPCs aren't going to be farming herbs every waking hour so they can get that Milanese plate armor at leavel 3, and they are not grinding strength with captain Bernard. If you do that instead of progressing naturally, you will break the game.

Meanwhile in your typical modern RPG the enemies have inflated, bloated stats, are HP sponges, have some supernatural abilities that are designed specifically to mess with the player. So grinding doesn't break the game and it's often even required.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
For example, the fact that enemies use the same stats, equipment and skills as you do. This is a fair and realistic system, but think about it - NPCs aren't going to be farming herbs every waking hour so they can get that Milanese plate armor at leavel 3, and they are not grinding strength with captain Bernard.

Sure but again - all that wouldn't be a problem if, say, the vendors' money limit was much stricter. You could grind nettle picking from dawn to dusk but at the end of the day the town herbalist would only have a few groschen in her pouch and nobody else would buy that shit from you. Which would actually be even more realistic.

So my argument is exactly opposite to yours - most of the problems the game has are because it's not realistic enough.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
For example, the fact that enemies use the same stats, equipment and skills as you do. This is a fair and realistic system, but think about it - NPCs aren't going to be farming herbs every waking hour so they can get that Milanese plate armor at leavel 3, and they are not grinding strength with captain Bernard.

Sure but again - all that wouldn't be a problem if, say, the vendors' money limit was much stricter. You could grind nettle picking from dawn to dusk but at the end of the day the town herbalist would only have a few groschen in her pouch and nobody else would buy that shit from you. Which would actually be even more realistic.

And you would just fast travel and sell in another town, or wait a few days in Teresa's mill until the shops reset. And now you'll say, fine let's remove fast travel and unlimited meals in the mill, because that's not realistic. So now you'll develop a money farming route - I steal here, sell to a fence here, shoot some rabbits here, the shops reset here, I sleep here, repeat x50 times until I'm filthy rich.

There's always gonna be ways of gaming the system, and increasing the amount of restrictions on the player because he cant' restrict himself, beats the whole purpose of an open world free roaming game.

So my argument is exactly opposite to yours - most of the problems the game has are because it's not realistic enough.

You would have to be more specific. For example the learn-by-doing skill system by it's very nature is both the most realistic and the most exploitable at the same time. So sometimes choosing realism has side effects.

I would say KCD definitey has money balance problems - even if you are larping a medieval peasant, you peak too easy and it would be better if it happened 10-15 hours later into the game. But that's easily solved with either some adjustments to economy or adding a more endgame loot.

Out of the systems that need work I would say that thieving definitely should be made harder and generally only possible if you do it in the night, wearing black cloth to reduce the light and noise and so on. It's far too easy to just pick entire houses clean in broad daylight. Other systems work quite okay as they are I think.

RK47

Patron
Goddamit, Henry.

KingdomCome%202018-03-24%2010-08-04-61.jpg

The UI can't even keep up with Henry's drinking

KingdomCome%202018-03-24%2010-10-32-90.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom