Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers - now with Aftershock DLC

Grim Monk

Arcane
Most of this thread was people discussing the merits of the game.

It got briefly derailed due to a article about the game featuring standard weaselly "Sex-Neg" leftist hand-wringing.

But sorry man, nobody cares.

Then why are YOU commenting about it in the first place...
:smug:

Spouting typical "You guys should stop being ENTITLED by having opinions!" corpspeak.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
What's the eta of this?
Never.
And how can they say they are 3d realms? Isn't 3d realms dead?
It's essentially a scam company today that rereleases some old crap every once in a while. Kinda went the way of Atari, being only Atari in name, in this case 3D Realms in name. Some danish investor owns the company now and none of the OGs are still working there IIRC.

Ash

Arcane
Do you have any idea what the fuck you're talking about? I'm not seeing any of the release behaviour you're describing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3D_Realms_games
Duke Nukem Forever aside, they seem to be one of few old school companies not overly tainted by the decline.

Stop your strange crusade against this game. It's irrational and not based in facts of reality.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Bombshell was god awful shit and they were only running on the 3D Realms name. Still sold like ass and no one liked it. The reason they are not "tainted by the decline" is because they do fucking NOTHING. They sold everything they had of value and throw money at small developers hoping whatever shit they make is going to stick.

Ash

Arcane
Bombshell apparently was awful, but I think they suffered for it given that it was received very poorly by critics and gamers alike and in all likelihood it sold at a loss. Steam Spy numbers show 11,000 owners. Rather weak. Maybe it broke even as it would have been somewhat low budget, but still.

Anyhow, it's absolutely in their best interest to make a good game here. Gameplay quality is a must, because:

a) it's running on the heavily outdated build engine. No graphical powerhouse here.
b) target audience is the old school, who often have standards in gameplay.
c) they (intentionally?) made a shit shovelware game with bombshell and failed to sell their shit to the braindead masses in good numbers, so making that mistake again would not be wise.

Last edited:
I've tried the early access and what surprised me is the fucking darkness being abused. It's a thing they seem to have inherited from hexen mods x.x

Ash

Arcane
Appeal to the modern level designers at Voidpoint: study the fuck out of Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior and Blood. While everything in those games were great, it's imperative to get the level design right. I replayed Nukem 3D recently and my god level design in the 90s used to be such an art. I'm specifically talking about level design's impact and revolving around gameplay first and foremost.

I've also been playing user maps from the Duke mod community. In my experience while the Doom community often surpassed id's level designs in Doom, Duke's community did not surpass 3D realms' next level masterworks. Admittedly I'm saying that with a limited data set though e.g I've not played even half of what the community has to offer.

Ash

Arcane
No, precisely because it is limited in concept in regards to level design:

17 maps episode for Duke Nukem 3D. 15 mappers, 1 building, 17 floors.

I'm assuming the mappers likely get very creative within the confines of that building just like the "Going Down" mod for Doom (same concept, and I played that one), but it ensures all maps have a similar theme (indoors), similar size and layout (e.g you can't have a amazing level like Duke 3D's The Abyss), and while it is likely good regardless just like Going Down was, 3D Realms would have never limited their designs in its entirety completely to the confines of one building.

note: I'm open to the possibility I'm being ignorant here, but I doubt I am.

I remember being rather impressed with some of the level design in the AMCTC though, like Milhaven.
Not sure if it surpasses Duke 3D's but it was very good (much grander scale, but overall tighness and execution perhaps lesser).

Last edited:
You are not wrong on that, but given that the pack is the combined work of 15 people, posing such a limit is a needed if you want to get a semblance of coherent work.

wyes gull

Savant
What the hell, lads? Am I missing something or have you lot forgotten how floppy disks work?
GBaYmTg.jpg

In red, the size of the disk inside the protective casing. Notice the overlap with the USB connection in yellow and the part in blue which is likely where the memory chip is going to be?
No way that magnetic disk is in one piece or can even rotate with that crap up in there. It may be a real floppy in the sense that it's made of real floppy parts but I don't see how this can possibly work
. Not to mention what the floppy drive is going to do to it (or itself) once it removes the protective cover and a USB connector shoots off the side.
Ok so I decided to take one apart and whereas the disk is thin enough to spin behind the connector (even though it's supposed to be centered in the plastic frame), if it does spin, that means the USB pen assembly is limited to half the width of a 3.5'' floppy, which is 1/16 of an inch or 1.5 mms. Nifty.

Now I'm curious. If one of you buys it, be sure to tear it apart for our edification.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
What's the eta of this?
Q3 2018

Game will have 7 "zones" (aka Episodes) of similar length as the preview campaign's zone. The preview campaign zone isn't counted in the 7 zones for the full game. I would guess slightly longer if Duke's episodes/shareware is anything to go by. Episode 1 is like 6 levels and Episodes 2 and 3 are 11 levels each. The preview campaign zone in Ion Maiden is 5 maps long, stitched together (starting area, streets/office area, sewer area, subway area, mech boss area).

They have already been developing this shit for a while and it's not like they have 6 months to make 7 zones from scratch, they have tons of that content already finished but their approach to the preview campaign was to not show all that stuff to the players yet and have the preview campaign be separate. If you look at the screenshots on the Ion Maiden site, the press release kit & the steam store page you can see videos and screenshots of other already developed levels.

I asked on Discord about this stuff and one of the Voidpoint devs said the Preview Campaign is a small amalgamation of the different types of zones you will encounter in the full game. Like one zone will be entirely subterranean, one zone will be city streets and offices, etc.

Some examples of stuff that was in the press kit (videos here), I don't know if anyone posted this earlier in the thread:
e2XoCtX.png

https://duke3dmaps.tumblr.com/post/171778453637/ion-maiden-b-roll-footage-1-this-is-footage-of-a
https://duke3dmaps.tumblr.com/post/171813703689/ion-maiden-b-roll-footage-5-this-is-footage-of-a

Last edited:

iqzulk

Augur
Why is it so hard to just let people create their own art out of their own volition?
Because Ion Maiden is a game, (being) designed by a committee, which, as for right now, looks and plays like a somewhat more visually detailed and otherwise vastly inferior version of Eradicator (which isn't even all that much of a compliment, despite Eradicator having been and still being a fairly decent game). Why should I feel any reluctance in regard to potentially chipping in on a committee-designed product? Moreover, it's not like I have any way of actually making the developers to accept my proposition, for better or for worse.

Youre just a customer. Shut your little trap mouth.
You are being unnecessarily rude. If you continue that sort of verbal behavior in relation to me, you will be the first person here to grace my blacklist with your majestic presence. I am not afraid of you, and I am fairly confident in my ability to take you on. However, I don't currently think, that you are worth the time I would need in order to shut your WHORE mouth for good (as for that would actually require some thinking, in contrast with simply half-assedly typing the word WHORE, while thinking about something way more important for me than that). And I suggest you to seek someone other's attention if you don't have anything constructive to convey, which you frankly don't seem to.

P.S. "Derision" - you might want to use that word in order to characterize the style this post was written in, should you desire to do so.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
This whole thing really is nothing short of a massive marketing failure. SJWs don't buy games and even if they did they are not interested in Duke Nukem 3D or anything even close to it. The entire audience for this game are people who liked Duke Nukem 3D.

It was posted on Twitter, right? Explains everything. Place is a SJW game dev breeding ground incel ground where they're all trying to impress Anita and their female peers in the hopes of getting laid. How far we've come!

Ash

Arcane
What's the eta of this?
Q3 2018

Game will have 7 "zones" (aka Episodes) of similar length as the preview campaign's zone. The preview campaign zone isn't counted in the 7 zones for the full game. I would guess slightly longer if Duke's episodes/shareware is anything to go by. Episode 1 is like 6 levels and Episodes 2 and 3 are 11 levels each. The preview campaign zone in Ion Maiden is 5 maps long, stitched together (starting area, streets/office area, sewer area, subway area, mech boss area).

They have already been developing this shit for a while and it's not like they have 6 months to make 7 zones from scratch, they have tons of that content already finished but their approach to the preview campaign was to not show all that stuff to the players yet and have the preview campaign be separate. If you look at the screenshots on the Ion Maiden site, the press release kit & the steam store page you can see videos and screenshots of other already developed levels.

I asked on Discord about this stuff and one of the Voidpoint devs said the Preview Campaign is a small amalgamation of the different types of zones you will encounter in the full game. Like one zone will be entirely subterranean, one zone will be city streets and offices, etc.

Some examples of stuff that was in the press kit (videos here), I don't know if anyone posted this earlier in the thread:
e2XoCtX.png

https://duke3dmaps.tumblr.com/post/171778453637/ion-maiden-b-roll-footage-1-this-is-footage-of-a
https://duke3dmaps.tumblr.com/post/171813703689/ion-maiden-b-roll-footage-5-this-is-footage-of-a

Do you have any info if we're able to keep our equipment between these "episodes"? They sound really short so it would be annoying getting frequently robbed. Yet if the episodes are designed and balanced around revolver start that'd also suck.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, it's really all about that quality.

Meanwhile, the Age of Decadence megathread is 66 pages long, whereas the Skyrim and Fallout 4 megathreads are 200+ pages.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, it's really all about that quality.

Meanwhile, the Age of Decadence megathread is 66 pages long, whereas the Skyrim and Fallout 4 megathreads are 200+ pages.

Two of those are considered enjoyable to play by millions whereas the other is considered enjoyable to play by tens of thousands. Seems likely that would scale on a much smaller forum.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Two of those are considered enjoyable to play by millions whereas the other is considered enjoyable to play by tens of thousands. Seems likely that would scale on a much smaller forum.

Yes, exactly.

My point from the beginning was that this thread is also full of "that" proportion of the user base. Thanks for supporting it with reasoned arguments. +M

Ash

Arcane
So we're all supposed to abandon interest in a build engine successor (build engine FPS being some of the greatest FPS of all time easily) and switch over to...a Descent 1 & 2 spiritual successor. No thanks. GTFO faggit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom