Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview KOTOR II preview at VGL

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

<a href=http://www.videogameslife.com>VideoGamesLife</a> posted a <a href=http://www.videogameslife.com/pages/article/pvw/278.htm>preview</a> of <b>KotOR II: The Sith Lords</b>. Unlike many other, more generic previews, this one provides some new plot-related details.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>As mentioned, you now start off as a Jedi, rather than having to traverse half the game to discover your inherit abilities to command the force. However, there is a catch in that you’ve been a very naughty boy/girl. The Jedi Council impeded your access to the force as punishment for aiding the former renegade Revan in the previous game. The status of said rouge Jedi is unknown, though rumour persists that he entered an uncharted portion of the galaxy. This mental block forced upon you by the council needs removing and help soon makes itself known in the form of a Jedi mentor called Kreia. While she wields a lightsaber, she is not actually a fully-fledged knight, explaining why she still draws breath. What she is doing wandering around an empty station, why you managed to get there and how on Coruscant you managed to bag the Ebon Hawk from its previous owner (if it involves winning it in a card game, we’ll personally go round and firebomb Obsidian Towers…), are just a few questions which may or may not be answered in this first section of the game.</blockquote>Comments?
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

As long as the mental block hasn't hidden any memories I won't kill them all. If there is any amnesia involved, ANY at all I will hurt someone possibly myself.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Chris Avellone states repeatedly that there will be no amnesia. Early previews mistook the mental block for amnesia, because people tend to get jaded by the various cliches over the years.

EEVIAC

Erudite
BEWARE THE ROUGE JEDI'S!

rocky.gif

Voss

Erudite
aided Revan in the previous game?

OK, this is new. Is it yet another fuck up by the preview media?
I suspect it due to the lack of it happening in the previous game, so...

A misinterpretation of in-between game backstory? Meet somewhere, favors are exchanged, you get Revan's ship, he goes off on his merry way? Unpleased jedi?

Oh, wait, the non existant mandalorian army is attacking too.
These people, why do they even bother...

That is something I don't really understand as well. I thought you crushed the sith and saved the universe last time, i mean where is this friggin new threat coming from. Also im pretty certain that a-hole madalore you were carting around in the first game kept going on about the mandalorians nearly being wiped out by the republic and no longer being a threat.

And how many times have the jedi been wiped out down to the last man. I find it hard to fucking believe they are so badass and yet keep being brought to the edge of extinction every five minutes....

suibhne

Erudite
Not a stellar preview, all in all; some pretty boneheaded comments (like describing KotOR as visually-impressive, or lauding the interface from the first game). I puzzled over these details until I realized it's an XBox publication.

The only thing which leapt out at me was the preview's claim that "You get to choose from a total of six pre-generated characters, three male and three female, based upon the three base Jedi castes featured in the first game: Consular, Guardian or Sentinel." In other words, you can't build your own character. I'm 99.9% certain that this must be bullshit, but it's that 0.1% that keeps me up at night.

Voss

Erudite
i'd imagine they're confused by the interface... in one after all, it can seem like you're choosing from six different models rather than choosing sex/class. That you can modify them probably doesn't register with this lot.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
LOL sensitive. That's cute. :)

Sorry, X, hyperbole is just a polite way of lying. heck, it's ok, I lie.. use hyperbole all the time. No worries. :lol:

Voss

Erudite
You mean shaved half-wookies in chain bustiers. Otherwise the hair would catch and they'd been hunched over and whimpering. And that just isn't sexy.

Plus, body hair. Bleh..

mr. lamat

Liturgist
i stomped the shit out of the jedi and reclaimed power over the sith empire. there is no council, there is no republic anymore. CONTINUITY ERROR!!!! CONTINUITY ERORR!!!!... or perhaps obsidian and avellone went this way with the story? when you ascend to supreme potentate of the galaxy, there's little need for an old freighter, which would explain the sale of the ebon hawk, and the large piles of dead jedi.

on that note, the jedi have only been brought to the edge of extinction twice in twenty-thousand years. that's not a bad number, considering all the wars and assasins they face.

deeply saddened that i won't get to use my scoundrel/guardian build again. the criticals were absolutely ruinous with that character... :tear:

and for the record... canderous owns all. i've seen him drop two dark jedi all by his lonesome (four thermal detonators thrown all of two feet while they tried to use those fey little glowsticks on him... ruthless!)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
mr. lamat said:
i stomped the shit out of the jedi and reclaimed power over the sith empire. there is no council, there is no republic anymore. CONTINUITY ERROR!!!! CONTINUITY ERORR!!!!... or perhaps obsidian and avellone went this way with the story? when you ascend to supreme potentate of the galaxy, there's little need for an old freighter, which would explain the sale of the ebon hawk, and the large piles of dead jedi.

There was one preview that mentions Revan just wondering off, which is something I can't see "it" doing after crushing the Republic. Crush the Republic, beat the jedi, gain ultimate powah... and wonder off. Eh?

Voss

Erudite
What continuity error?

If you're talking about the non-existance of the republic, then theres no error. Senator 'I'm not an evil mastermind, really" Palpatine references the Republic being ~1000 years old in Ep 2. So theres room for this being a really really Ancient Old(er) Republic.

That said, there are so many holes in Lucas' fluff that you could justify the existance of Giant Space Weasels that consume the universe and a new one forming after they've shit out their supper. I mean the man can't even keep the shit straight in his own head, let alone through 5 films, so why shouldn't anyone else be able to?

mr. lamat

Liturgist
There was one preview that mentions Revan just wondering off, which is something I can't see "it" doing after crushing the Republic. Crush the Republic, beat the jedi, gain ultimate powah... and wonder off. Eh?

exactly. most of the previews have been full of rumsfeldian misinformation. wouldn't surprise me if... personally, it'd make for an awesome arc and tie the two games together quite nicely. hunting down your old pc has a real sense of closure.

Grifman

Liturgist
mr. lamat said:

Actually, in other previews I've read that through in game questions put to your character at the beginning of the game, you can tell it what happened in KOTOR and the game will adjust for it. In other words, your scenario above could indeed been what happened, if you answer questions that way. At least that's what I've read a couple of times - so no CONTINUITY ERROR!!. :)

Grifman

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom