Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tried FFXIII on PC and...

Ash

Arcane
FF9 was specifically the "nostalgia" game, with tons of references to prior games. Things like the four fiends from FF1, the classic Black Mages, the FF6-style cave dungeon, the auction house, the gay bishounen villain, Necron from nowhere (inspired by FF3); even the bass beat from the beginning of the battle theme is a reference.

You forgot mt. gulag too, being based on gulag in FF1 and featuring music based on the original composition. But consider this: all of that shit was begging to be iterated upon, having initially been seen on the fricken NES, and the end result is absolutely nothing like it really. Furthermore if you look closely enough, you can find many correlations in each:

2526863-4942004066-ffplo.gif

...yet I don't think it matters, because the overall execution of everything is considerably different. Something that amazes me about this series is how ridiculously different yet somehow all alike they are.

No wonder Zidane and the princess end up together, they're the only people in the work who don't look like weirdo tumblr freaks.

:lol:

This is a baffling quote right here. FF9 was made by a team of novices in Hawaii who hadn't worked on a final fantasy title before. The battle engine is built on a filthy house of lies. It straight up doesn't work, chugs along like shit, and they implemented a bunch of ugly hacks to trick the player into thinking it works like the previous games. Unlike the previous entries where turns would execute fairly in the order they are queued, in FF9 the enemies just blatantly cheat and get free turns according to a script. The result is the ATB system is mostly window dressing. It's really noticeable with long spell animations, since your ATB bars all fill up during the effect, you're likely to queue up a bunch of actions in a row only to watch the enemy get a free turn and decimate you after each of your moves. It's awful. It's a system that discourages speed and taking turns (which is intuitive as hell) and the best strategy is to just have one character attack while the others wait on standby to heal.

You a FF9 modder/hacker? If so, can you explain this unusual script, or point to the source you heard of it? And what is all this decimation you speak of? Combat is easy outside of some bossfights or attempting to beat on Grand Dragons on disc 1. If these probalems are present, ain't no player going to notice it. But I played FF9 with "FF9 Unleashed" hard type rom hack last year and still didn't notice any unusual behaviour, though said mod could have maybe fixed it, and I hadn't played it a decade before that.

Main issue I have with FF9 battle system is how darn slow battle speed is, and said easy difficulty. Would be the first thing I fix anyways.

Anyhow, these "novices" from Hawaii wut? It was in-house at Square surely. It's also a graphical powerhouse, being one of the best-looking games on the PS1. Hmm internet says it was developed in Hawaii, yet all the usual Squaresoft names are involved.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
...yet I don't think it matters, because the overall execution of everything is considerably different.

That's definitely true, I just think FF9's influences did everything better.

If so, can you explain this unusual script, or point to the source you heard of it?

I'm not a modder, and I've only read bits and pieces about this over the years, so I can't point to any one source. I thought it was just common knowledge the battle system was fucked up. I'm sure whatever mod you played is not representative of the original game.

Ash

Arcane
I thought it was just common knowledge the battle system was fucked up.

I only recently returned interest to this series and starting going through it with inclined mods. Been about a decade, and back then I wasn't wasting my life on the internet outside of using it for strictly practical purposes:negative:
I'm not a hardcore fan and yet I am.

aweigh I remember most events in 5, but then again I've beat it ~3 times. It does have a problem of all the four protagonists being quite alike one another in some key ways though, which is perhaps why some events are not so memorable for you. A criticism I saw yesterday I think it was, and it's definitely true. there's still plenty great moments in the story though.

Here:

Though the review doesn't quite cover all the gameplay incline that happened from FF4 to FF5, but it's still a decent review.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
Lovely as always. Theme of love is amazing even when played on the snes. I remember sometimes starting the game on my snes just to listen to this over and over during the first time it plays at the beginning of the game.
I think this is also the best version of this song:

:troll:

Falksi

Arcane
I didnt find FF9 all that memorable though I did play it to completion... though only once and I never touched it again. I played it when it came out so memories of repeated playthroughs of FF4 and FF6 on SNES (and FF7 and FF8 of course on PS1) were still quite fresh in my mind so I did not feel any **nostalgia** from FF9 and overall I found the chibi-design unappealing and I found the story forgettable overall.

It felt like a ho-hum rehash of previous FF storylines and tropes and archetypes and I had already played better versions of those things in the previous titles so even though I was at peak-JRPG fandom I still found FF9 to be... meh. I really did not enjoy the more cartoonish world and character design and I found it to be solid in game play but forgettable in story and characterization and world.

FF10 on the other hand I really enjoyed playing on its release and I found the classic Turn-Based combat fantastic. I also found the storyline more compelling than FF9s light-hearted faery-tale approach; FF10s suicide mission was much more appealing to me at the time and I found its characters to be more fleshed out than 9s were... though playing FF10 years later my god dat voice-acting is cringe as fuck DO NOT PLAY IN PUBLIC.

FF11 was an MMORPG and I did play it for many months but it doesnt merit discussion.

FF12 I also played on its release-day and by god did I fucking love it. I loved the headier story-telling and I really enjoyed the realistic graphics (realistic for a JRPG... you guys know what I mean) and more political bent on the going-ons. I also really really enjoyed FF12s take on RTwP combat as at that time memories of NWN2 combat were still red-hot fresh on my mind and I enjoyed this japanese take on the system.

I had also become a Team Ivalice neophyte having professed undying love for FF Tactics and VAGRANT STORY... basically anything Team Ivalice released at that moment in time I was already pre-disposed to loving; time has proved that FF12 merited that love though with its re-release proving it once again.

FF13... uh no thanks. Torrented it years later just to see for myself the utter horror and the horror was legit. Uninstalled after about 6 hours. Truly horrendous.

My three favorite FFs are:
- FF4 (for dat sweet love story)
- FF6 (inarguably the best entry in the series)
- FF12 (doesnt reach the heights of the SNES era nor the ambition of the first two PS1 entries but it features fantastic design)

If I do it 100% objectively I would eliminate FF4 and just take 6 and 12 but dat emotional attachment to FF4 is real strong.

Great summary that. :salute:

Personally I thrived on FF5 myself, but that was mainly because of the job system rather than the story. Also found FF12 too bloated combat-wise, but still containing a hell of a lot of quality.

10 & 5 are prob my own personal faves of the lot, but I think it's fair to say up until 12 they were mostly all great in some way or other.

13 & 15 are utter abominations.

CallMeSnek

Novice
takes a retard to recognize another one...

The fact that maybe we enjoyed it despite its problems can't be possible.

We must be retard.

Thanks for your massive contribution to this thread, you definitely opened my mind!

The trick is not to think of them as a bunch of annoying, closed-minded autismos, but rather as very smart robots. Instead of just going "dumb-ass pieces of shit...", I like to think "Wow, the AI in these things is incredible!".

I feel this has a much more humanizing effect overall.

Viata

Arcane
5 is also my fav, but yeah, same reason, based job system. The story is meh, but again, I never liked any ff's story. 15 is the only one I have not played from the mainline and I also refuse to play it given how much they fucked the game from Versus version.
I gave a chance to 13 despiste knowing how much the japs were complaining about its linearity. 10 was already linear and I disliked that game, but 12 was great, the zodiac version was amazing, so hey, maybe 13 was a great game too?

God, what the hell is that shit?
Easiest game in the whole series(Can't vouch for 15, though). I had to restart the game, NOT USE CRYSTARIUM SYSTEM to have an easy-to-normal game.
The story is shit. It's so shit the devs decided to give journals and whatnot for the plot because they knew people would get tired of watching those boring cutscenes.
The games can be summed up to:
walk a line -> cutscene -> walk a line -> sequel of that custcene -> walk a line -> boss -> the custscene that started at the begin of chapter is now finally ending -> ended chapter.
WHY THE FUCK THEY HAD TO CUT THOSE CUTSCENES IN PIECES AND HAVE ME WALK BEFORE ANY OF THEM INSTEAD OF KEEP THEN IN THE SAME FUCKING CUTSCENE?
Holy fucking shit! I don't think someone could make a game THIS shit!
Then people kept saying that the games gets better at chapter 11(I think is this one, at the Gran Pulse part), because, apparently, it gets more open.
So yeah, I kept playing this shit because I'm already past the point of commit sudoku for playing this shit. Got to Gran Pulse and :
nxm2e9g.jpg

That is the worst way of masking linearity I have ever seen. Not even FF10 could do that. At that point, people must be so fucking bored that even a big circle is enough to say that the game gets better there. Squenix was smart. They showed most of the gameplay trailers in that place, because people would easily see that the game is a fucking line. But that fucking "open" place is still a fucking line because you still only have a SINGLE FUCKING PLACE to go and then you go back to fucking linearity(the not masked one). At that point I just gave up. I'm still low-level austist, it seems.

Anyway, OP is retarded and should seek help.

Last edited:

Okagron

Prophet
Gonna echo some people here and say that i enjoy Final Fantasy 5. Mainly because of the job system, story is meh.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
FF5 was fun to play but ill be damned if i can remembe a single thing that happens in the game.
Evil interdimensional wizard demon disguises himself as a splinter in someone's hand so you take him to another world while suspecting nothing.

I enjoyed it's gameplay. I think 5 & 6 are the only ones I've completed twice. Even though I adore FF8 I couldn't be bothered to sit through all the summons and other shit which you need to fight the biggest monsters. And why play if you're not gonna do this?

I certainly have to get to FF12, steam version. All this job/license thing looks like tactical goodness.

miles teg

Scholar
5 is also my fav, but yeah, same reason, based job system. The story is meh, but again, I never liked any ff's story. 15 is the only one I have not played from the mainline and I also refuse to play it given how much they fucked the game from Versus version.
I gave a chance to 13 despiste knowing how much the japs were complaining about its linearity. 10 was already linear and I disliked that game, but 12 was great, the zodiac version was amazing, so hey, maybe 13 was a great game too?

God, what the hell is that shit?
Easiest game in the whole series(Can't vouch for 15, though). I had to restart the game, NOT USE CRYSTARIUM SYSTEM to have an easy-to-normal game.
The story is shit. It's so shit the devs decided to give journals and whatnot for the plot because they knew people would get tired of watching those boring cutscenes.
The games can be summed up to:
walk a line -> cutscene -> walk a line -> sequel of that custcene -> walk a line -> boss -> the custscene that started at the begin of chapter is now finally ending -> ended chapter.
WHY THE FUCK THEY HAD TO CUT THOSE CUTSCENES IN PIECES AND HAVE ME WALK BEFORE ANY OF THEM INSTEAD OF KEEP THEN IN THE SAME FUCKING CUTSCENE?
Holy fucking shit! I don't think someone could make a game THIS shit!
Then people kept saying that the games gets better at chapter 11(I think is this one, at the Gran Pulse part), because, apparently, it gets more open.
So yeah, I kept playing this shit because I'm already past the point of commit sudoku for playing this shit. Got to Gran Pulse and :
nxm2e9g.jpg

That is the worst way of masking linearity I have ever seen. Not even FF10 could do that. At that point, people must be so fucking bored that even a big circle is enough to say that the game gets better there. Squenix was smart. They showed most of the gameplay trailers in that place, because people would easily see that the game is a fucking line. But that fucking "open" place is still a fucking line because you still only have a SINGLE FUCKING PLACE to go and then you go back to fucking linearity(the not masked one). At that point I just gave up. I'm still low-level austist, it seems.

Anyway, OP is retarded and should seek help.
I think you're the one needing help. You hated the game and still played for 11 chapters. Must have a boring life:D

miles teg

Scholar
Not so boring to think FF13 is a good game.
still, bored enough to have played it for at least 20 hours (maybe more?). That's far more retarded than playing something you like (even if you think it's shit), I think.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
You hated the game and still played for 11 chapters. Must have a boring life

Ah the tired old "time played" argument:

"If you played a game less than N hours, you didn't play it long enough to form a valid opinion."

-followed by-

"You played it more than N hours you must have enjoyed it."

(of course N can by any number the speaker chooses)

Let's try this in other contexts:

"You worked at that job for N years so you must have liked it."
"You finished that movie so you must have enjoyed it."
"You ate that sandwich you must have liked it."
"You listened to that whole album you must have thought it was good."
"You paid money to go to the museum you must have liked all the paintings."
"You drove that car for years how can you say it was a bad car?"
"You raised your son for 18 years how can you say he's a disappointment?"

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
FF5 was fun to play but ill be damned if i can remembe a single thing that happens in the game.
They combined two worlds together. Fight on the bridge. And brutal job system that allowed to mix skills into...

miles teg

Scholar
well we are talking about a fucking videogame. 20 hours without entertainment seems a bit off. Or at least "more off" than playing something you like (for which I'm accused to be a retard).

shitty jobs can be excused because yoi need the money. shitty sandwiches because you are hungry. shitty movies are 1-2 hours top. Shitty game I fail to see why you should endure the punishment

Okagron

Prophet
well we are talking about a fucking videogame. 20 hours without entertainment seems a bit off. Or at least "more off" than playing something you like (for which I'm accused to be a retard).

shitty jobs can be excused because yoi need the money. shitty sandwiches because you are hungry. shitty movies are 1-2 hours top. Shitty game I fail to see why you should endure the punishment
Because some hopelessly in vain try to find anything redeemable about the game. Specially if it's from a franchise they love.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
FF 16 will be more linear, trying to put some "Deus Ex" elements in an attempt to stay relevant, even more amusing since Deus Ex is a SE property now. Will be shit.
FF 17 will be a MMO VR. Nobody plays it.
FF 18 will claim to be inspired by "RPG throwbacks such as Div: OS and our own FFIX" and it will still be shit too.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
The time played argument is stupid because it assumes unlimited funds to spend on gaming and no other factors:

-A game may be an okay way to pass the time but lackluster in retrospect
-Peer effects; your friends recommended it so you play through it assuming they were correct
-Completionists like to finish any game they start (this applies to me)
-Some people may only get so many games per year to play.
-Most games have to be bought on faith and can't be returned.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
-Completionists like to finish any game they start (this applies to me)

This still assumes some sort of psychological problems.

Not that I'm not affected by it. I'm not a completionist but once I played more than half of a game I rush it to the end even if I'm bored now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom