Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPG had the strongest effect on you as a person?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
We already know our favorite RPGs. We've already stated which ones are the best. But those don't necessarily count as having affected our lives in some way the strongest.

For example, my favorite RPG of all time is, of course, Fallout. But the RPG that affected me the most was Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. It simply blew me away as a young man and opened up a whole new world, so to speak, in terms of being able to realize my D&D-like fantasies without having to "talk" to "other" "human" "beings".

What about you?

Xeon

Augur
I wasn't into RPGs when I was younger, my English at the time was almost none existent and RPGs had lot of words and I didn't want to play something with a lot of story that I didn't understand.

I saw my cousin playing Breath of Fire 3 and I really enjoyed watching it, so I bought the game and a dictionary and played the game little by little. So I guess that's the game that had the strongest affect at me I think.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Morrowind. There was just something magical about exploring an alien land habited by gray elves who didn't like you.

Martyr

Arcane
well, my favorite RPG is Darklands; but the one that affected me the most was Arcanum.
1. reason: the epic soundtrack
2. reason: the creative setting
3. reason: the reactivity of the world/NPCs
Arcanum is simply brilliant and I can't put my love for this game into words.

I tried baldur's gate when I was 16 years old and holy fuck how bad the graphic was....

Even if I had copied it from a friend's cd into my "own" personal cd, it didn't require a crack.

As soon as I entered the palace in baldur's gate to save the dukes from Sarevok I had a blue screen telling me the cd was missing some files.

Two days later I had the original disc and the sequels into my hands.

Anyway, it made me re-consider myself (I do not care much about graphic anymore) and my personal ideas about supporting developers (I do support them if it is worth it)

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I don't want to steal anyone else's thunder but I have to mention Daggerfall as an alternate. The feeling of stepping out into the wilderness after exploring Privateer's Hold (which was p. typical as far as any other RPG dungeon up until that point was concerned) was rather profound.

Knowing the little I already knew about the size of Daggerfall's world and having it all in front of you was a bit staggering.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Arcanum's introspective and morose setting. Exploring the world felt a bit like watching an old friend die a slow death as the industrial revolution swept through a fantasy setting, pushing aside all the magic and wonder.

Okagron

Prophet
Final Fantasy IV is my earliest memory of playing a RPG (even though i'm not sure if it actually the first RPG i played). The story, characters and music left a big impact on me.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The thread title seems at odds with the content of the OP.

I thought this would be about what game changed me as a person, my personal thinking, life goals, affected me emtionally or whatever. And then its just another 'what game got you into the genre', basically?

Please clarify your intent, Crispy.

mbv123

Arbiter
Oblivion
Never have I played a game so garbage it gave me literal nightmares at just how horrible it was
Whenever I think of an example of a complete dogshit of a game, I think of Oblivion.
Whenever I play a shitty game, I think to myself "at least it's not as bad as Oblivion".

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I thought this would be about what game changed me as a person, my personal thinking, life goals, affected me emtionally or whatever.

If you can name an RPG that had any or all of these effects on you then please do share. But many of us experienced RPGs that affected us emotionally when we were young, sometimes very young, and thus can't claim the same level of change that you're suggesting.

The thread is simply meant to get you to think about whichever game stirred strong emotions or some degree of change within you. It doesn't even have to be positive change. If Fallout 3 caused you to go out and murder an entire family of wild geese, tell us about it!

Edit: As per mbv's excellent example, above.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
TLDR: Mass Effect. Mass Effect had a positive impact on me because its side quests were so stupid. Weird but true.

Long version:

Drilling down into a question like this is difficult. The mark of a good RPG is not how it affects me but how well I can affect it; how well I can shape the experience mechanically to satisfy my imagination.

So am I looking for an RPG with, say, a strong, emotional story? Because that will tend to be less of an RPG in my mind, not about the story I wanted to tell. Like I remember a particular plot point in KOTOR 1 that was a very affecting moment, despite being nothing but a cutscene reveal that had nothing to do with my choices as a player. Is that what we're looking for? Does that count as "affecting me as a person"? It was a stunning scene but it didn't change me.

I guess I could just say what's the first CRPG I ever played (Maybe Wasteland? Wizard's Crown? that can't be right), because obviously whichever game that was started me down a road. But I don't know. I was already a video gamer and I was already a tabletop RPG fan, so while mixing the two was an important moment, which specific game it was is a mere detail.

Maybe I'll look at the game that had the most substantial effect on my behavior. Weirdly, the one that comes strongest to mind is the first Mass Effect. Maybe the game changed me, or maybe I was changing at the time and happened to be playing that game. Either way, I remember that there was a strong, motivating central mission, trimmed on all sides by plentiful and (relatively) meaningless side quests. Thanks to this imbalance, Mass Effect became the first game to substantially alleviate my completionist "Achiever-type" compulsions. Although Saren and the Reapers would have patiently waited for me forever before destroying the galaxy, I declined to solve less urgent problems for many random passersby. Some guy couldn't get the government to release his dead wife's body to him. "Not my problem, I have a galaxy to save." Some woman in a bar was being blackmailed into continuing to work there. "Not my problem, I have a galaxy to save!" The game was no longer a checklist of obligations, but instead the story I chose to tell.

Was it a video game that (inadvertently) taught me to let go of "sunk costs", that it didn't make sense to clean my plate if I had no appetite left? More likely I was maturing as a person and my approach to the game reflected that. But I'll always remember my reaction to that guy talking about his wife: it doesn't make sense for me to accept responsibility for this ... so I simply won't. Very liberating moment.

Last edited:

PorkBarrellGuy

Being introduced to NetHack a long time ago had a profound effect on my expectations for other games and gaming habits as well as my habits for in-game behavior from there on out.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Eye of the Beholder III (the first cRPG I ever played), it made me avoid RPG's and focus instead on RTS' for quite a while.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom