Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

2house2fly

Magister
It's funny. I recall them mentioning they didn't have the budget or time to give us more Paladin orders and Priest deities yet we end up with this.
I don't recall them mentioning that at all, and I imagine the orders and deities are unchanged from the first game because they're subclasses now, and already more subs than most other classes get.

The game already has top notch graphics and all its content implemented. Systemic changes are not budget dependent, they are simply decisions of the developers.

Adding VO does NOT influence the systems of the game or the addition of some feature (which one?) that would cost money. The game is feature complete for some time now, the VO is just added cosmetic value on the ready product.
The game has plenty of features already, I would prefer the money be spent instead on adding more content, like areas to explore, enemies to fight, items to use, and more CHOICE AND CONSEQUENCES in quests. Realistically though, I know game funding doesn't work like that, and this will have been an injection of extra money specifically for VO which Fergus was convinced to part with when Divinity sold like hotcakes.

Obsidian, where the kickstarter updates are subject to stricter quality control than the games

Jezal_k23

They should do an update about the VO. It's the obvious thing to do.

I'm surprised they announced it on twitter of all places.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
What if it was about the VO? And everyone was so unsatisfied with those Critical Cucks' work they had to switch voice actors?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Voice acting in a game like Pillars of Eternity II is retarded. I've already seen it in Tides of Numenera. It completely breaks the pacing of the dialogue. These games have so much prose in between voice files that it is impossible to keep up with them and read the prose at the same time.

Jezal_k23

It is really weird to have prose and dialogue in the same box, one voiced and one not. In Pillars 1 it felt kinda random and I do hope that they limit that kind of thing as much as they can for Deadfire.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
on the flip side, at least obsidian have good records of voice acting >__> iirc with the exception of NWN 2 OC

KOTOR has great VO
MoTB has great VO
new vegas and its DLC was fantastic all around
the voiced line in PoE 1 was good, some are just okay same with tyranny. it can sink to a little mediocre/generic but aside from NWN 2 OC, nothing obsidian has done is as cringy and cheesy like larian's (which their style of cheap cheesy VO can work with larian's older games due to their comedic nature, but in DOS 2 it feels like they try too hard to be serious but fail to shed their funnytasy habit. same with the writing. )

Generic-Giant-Spider

I'd have gone full retard with the prose/dialogue. Have the VA speak their dialogue in character, then drop into their real voice when it came to the prose. It would make the DeviantArt writing more enjoyable.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
It doesn't matter in the slightest, the twitter and twitch base are loving this, the reactions are positive everywhere except here, It's a twsuccess. Forever and ever.

2znduv3v.u10.png

I blame Larian for this, ultimately. Also I fully stand behind my earlier post regarding beheading.

Quillon

Arcane
For example if Larian had done full VO for (launch) D:OS - would they still have made the changes in dialogue / story for the EE?

Once its out there its considered art and not to be changed anyway, by Sawyer, the story that is.

Last edited:

Ruzen

Savant
But if the "news media" says stings like FULL VOICE ACTED, the Steam reviewers are going to get really mad when they find out this does not include descriptions. Obsidian has to carefully approach or this thing has a potential of backfiring.

Generic-Giant-Spider

"This game won't work on my Intel HD Graphics 3000 laptop. Thanks for the shitshow, Obsidian."

"Stole a man's gold. Paid for items he was selling using his own gold. 10/10."

The gist of Steam reviews.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
"This game won't work on my Intel HD Graphics 3000 laptop. Thanks for the shitshow, Obsidian."

"Stole a man's gold. Paid for items he was selling using his own gold. 10/10."

The gist of Steam reviews.

Social network sites (reddit included) and steam reviews are the most cancerogenic pits of all internet . Even stormfront and rev left are less cancerogenic by comparison.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
But that is the point. It's a cosmetic that costs a lot of money...

Why everybody assumes the VO costed them an arm and a leg when they employed talent from the negative end of the spectrum?

VO is easy to apply when you have all the dialogues ready
No shit Sherlock! Do anybody make it the other way around?

Nothing kept from PoE1.
Not even the know-how?

D:OS2 just clicked for some reasons with "mass" market.
It remembered them of World of Warcraft.

Because of the VO, now the completion rate for the game will increase from 15% to 17%.
I liked the narrator voice acting in Divinity 2. I could've lived without full NPC voices but the narration increased immersion.

Now I bet Fargo is in a frantic search for funds for full VO in Wasteland 3 to keep it up with the successful crowfunding big boys.
It will take him true effort because unlike Obsidian, inXile is truly in the shitter with the money if they didn't even had funds for proper player characters representation in Bard's Tale IV.

If you don't want to hear the VO, it can be skipped by choosing a dialogue response, it's not like you have to get through it.

In conclusion,all this fret is for nothingt because even if Obsidian had half the game's budget for quality assurance, the game still would've been made fun and bug free after months and months from release.
The only sane argument against full VO would've been if enormous funds for this shit were taken from Tim Cain and Boyarsky's project.

Last edited:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Why everybody assumes the VO costed them an arm and a leg when they employed talent from the negative end of the spectrum?

What does that even mean? How can you be a negative voice actor? Again, they're clearly established industry pros.

Thonius

Arcane

What does that even mean? How can you be a negative voice actor? Again, they're clearly established industry pros.
Negative - shit. I thought it's pretty clear. Anyway Critical Role - it's like what 6 dudes and gals? So we got 6 competent VO actors. The rest is a mystery....

Name

Cipher
I think most are forgetting the bigger issue. The problem is not with voice Acting if it is done right. Either you do it right and fork over those bills to hire professional voice actors with range or do not do it at all. Going halfway is the worst of both worlds and will yield to you the terrible results you see in PoE and probably PoE 2. Hiring a bunch of people from cafes or using your own staff is just lazy ass work and low effort and does not cut it anymore.

Critical Role: "Voice actor Matthew Mercer leads a group of fellow voice actors on epic Dungeons & Dragons campaigns. "

:nocountryforshitposters:

Matthew Mercer - voiced 65 games
Marisha Ray - 47 imdb voice credits (among them Metal Gear, FF, Persona, Lego Star Wars...)
Liam O’Brien - voiced 60 games
Travis Willingham - voiced 78 games
Laura Bailey - voiced 120 games
Sam Riegel - voiced 39 games
Ashley Johnson - voiced 17 games (and many more TV shows and movies)
Taliesin Jaffe - voiced 21 games (and a bunch of anime)

I've never heard of any of them, but in what way are they not professional voice actors?

edit: LOL, how is this Fake news? :roll: I just found and counted their individual credits. They're not just some random people doing a podcast, ffs.

Laura Bailey is one of America's top voice talents. Most of you guys have heard of her voice at some point. She also got an award for voicing a South African black woman in Uncharted.

2house2fly

Magister
I can't remember if Laura Bailey voiced Christine/Vera in Dead Money or Christine in Old World Blues, but it was definitely one of them
the VO budget could've gone to sea monsters tho:cry:
With an OCD personality like J.S, I think they're covered. He patched New Vegas two years post-release, because he was bored. Dude is a machine.
He's not working on the DLCs, so I wonder how much he'll be involved post-release at all. Maybe there'll be very little balance patching this time around.

2house2fly

Magister
Ah hell, what am I saying. He wasn't involved with the Deadfire Pack either and they still chose to address balance issues rather than bugs when patching that.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
if you play videogames and haven't heard at least one or 2 of them then you either dont play enough games, or just really ignorant. they're all good VA most of the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom