Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Diablo 2 LoD Fun

Ashery said:
I might try an Amazon considering I have that unique bow with +3 all skills and +3 immolation :D Need to figure out a good spec though...
I could definitely use that bow. If you're not using it, I'd be willing to trade for it.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I was thinking about playing again but my new computer can't play Diablo 2. Fails to load with an unspecific error every time. I guess Diablo 2's video system is too old for my new card or something.

Ashery

Prophet
Flux_Capacitor said:
I could definitely use that bow. If you're not using it, I'd be willing to trade for it.

First I need to level up something that can use anything worth trading... :lol:

Any other specs beyond Hammerdin?

Or maybe a Barbarian...hmm...

Ashery said:
Flux_Capacitor said:

First I need to level up something that can use anything worth trading... :lol:

Any other specs beyond Hammerdin?

Or maybe a Barbarian...hmm...
I'm thinking an Avenger could be a pretty solid build. Your main skill is Vengeance, which gains damage bonuses from the three resist auras and Salvation. Normally, you'd use Conviction as your main aura, but could switch to one of those resist auras when you need to. While you wouldn't kill large groups quickly, there's nothing in the game that could resist all your damage.

Ashery

Prophet
Flux_Capacitor said:
I'm thinking an Avenger could be a pretty solid build. Your main skill is Vengeance, which gains damage bonuses from the three resist auras and Salvation. Normally, you'd use Conviction as your main aura, but could switch to one of those resist auras when you need to. While you wouldn't kill large groups quickly, there's nothing in the game that could resist all your damage.

Ooo...Sounds good...Grinding is so damn boring early on though ;x

How should they work their stats btw? I've only really played a Druid to any serious degree (First SP, fucked up spec, but got though normal with relative ease), then two recently here, one dying at 50, the other at 65, heh. Where for the Druid, later levels were just five Vit everytime ;p

Although considering that Vengence is a bonus percentage to elemental damage, I should be aiming for maximal elemental damage from my weapons and charms, right?

Ashery said:
How should they work their stats btw? I've only really played a Druid to any serious degree (First SP, fucked up spec, but got though normal with relative ease), then two recently here, one dying at 50, the other at 65, heh. Where for the Druid, later levels were just five Vit everytime ;p

Although considering that Vengence is a bonus percentage to elemental damage, I should be aiming for maximal elemental damage from my weapons and charms, right?
No. As I recall, Vengeance simply takes your physical damage, and adds elemental damage on top of that. So, if you do 100 physical damage and have a level 1 Vengeance (+70% elemental damage), you would do the 100 physical damage, plus 70 fire damage, 70 cold damage, and 70 lightning damage (all before the target's resistances are taken into account).

The one thing about Vengeance is its exceedingly expensive (mana-wise). It may be best to just leave 1 point (or few points) in Vengeance (to keep the cost down) and place points in the resist auras and Salvation.

Regarding stats, when playing a melee Paladin, I would probably go with something like 2 Str, 1 Dex, and 2 Vit / level. You'll want max block, but Paladin shields have high base block chance, and the Holy Shield skill adds a significant amount. Once you reach a good level of Str for equipment (probably around 150 or so), shift those points into Vit, or some into Dex if you're not at 75% block.

Binary

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
I was thinking about playing again but my new computer can't play Diablo 2. Fails to load with an unspecific error every time. I guess Diablo 2's video system is too old for my new card or something.

Worts escuse evar?

Kari made it to lvl 31, so now with the help of Shadow Master and the "corpse explosion" trap things aren't looking too hard

If someone has any +traps eq please let me know

And it seems now it's my turn to help you folks get places :) I tried to help Ashery this morning (his evening) but the lag was terrible and I got booted. Tried after an hour and the same thing happened. Not going to risk it.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Yes, Avengers can be very potent, but, as all melee classes, they are rather equipment-reliant for successful multiple-ppl hell play. Avengers can be excellent party players if their equipment doesn't allow them to solo hell yet -- Conviction is something all casters will *LOVE* you for. Also, Avengers, just like Berserkers, have no problems with physical immunes. Avengers are not as immune to IM as berserkers are (zerkers have 100% magic dmg), so you'll proly have to have a weapon on switch that has little physical damage but a lot of ele. Overall, very fun class to play.

Globbi

Augur
kingcomrade said:
Get Linux and play on Wine, new graphics cards tend to have no problems with Linux.

Yes, Avengers can be very potent, but, as all melee classes, they are rather equipment-reliant for successful multiple-ppl hell play. Avengers can be excellent party players if their equipment doesn't allow them to solo hell yet -- Conviction is something all casters will *LOVE* you for. Also, Avengers, just like Berserkers, have no problems with physical immunes. Avengers are not as immune to IM as berserkers are (zerkers have 100% magic dmg), so you'll proly have to have a weapon on switch that has little physical damage but a lot of ele. Overall, very fun class to play.
You sure fanaticism wouldn't do better here? You don't need less resistances really because you hit with different elements + physical.

Binary

Liturgist
Xi said:
Serious_Business said:
In the Codex game, or elsewhere?

I created my own game, was hoping to run with some other people and no one from the Codex was on. I got to NM and was PKd within like 2 minutes, lol. The worst part is that we enter this cave and I move down to start killing stuff, and bam he toggles the PvP option and I'm dead within 1 second. I seriously thought that he cheated it happened before i could react. So , hopefully it was no one from the codex.

Morale of the story: never create games without passwords

Globbi said:
kingcomrade said:
Get Linux and play on Wine, new graphics cards tend to have no problems with Linux.

QFT

"If a game doesn't run in Linux, it wasn't worth playing to begin with"

Binary

Liturgist
Xi said:
Round 3! Making a trap assassin, they seem pretty buff. Xi-Asa

zomg u copycat!!1!! ;-)

Found an Amn on hellforge, so I need a good 4 socket shield. WHIPSER ME!!1!!

Binary

Liturgist
Kingston said:
I was the original trapsin zomg.

ORLY

btw you can upgrade the chart:

prq - Firael - assassin - 32 - trap assassin (lightning)

When nobody's online, been creating random games (with password!) and my run usually consists of:

1. check Anya for +skills daggers
2. Pindle run
3. repeat 1
4. go into Pindle teleport to respawn Anya shop
5. repeat 1 + 4 a few times
6. Go to 1st act 5 WP
7. Kill boss a bit above it
8. Kill boss a bit below it (the one for 1st act 5 quest)
9. port back to town and repeat 1
10. port to black marsh in act 1
11. go for countess
12. Recreate game and start from scratch

Atrokkus

Erudite
Globbi said:
You sure fanaticism wouldn't do better here? You don't need less resistances really because you hit with different elements + physical.
Believe me, without Conviction aura, Vengeance is crap in Hell. Well not *total* crap, but bad enough. Monsters just have too much resistances that you'd have to have Sorceress-like elemental damage to kill them in one-two swings (any more than that is death to the Avenger who has no crowd control whatsoever).

You could try the fana + vengeance build, but there's another pitfall here -- the rate at which you'll be hitting, along with lower damage and therefore more hits needed to kill a single monster, you'll drain your mana even faster, and will need real stable mana leech (remember, undead are unleechable) or big mana pool with regen (or switching to meditation al the time). Also note that you'd better do some math on Vengeance + synnergies damage output before going this way. One of the avegners guides on diabloii.net has it, iirc. But still, not a bad idea, though I would never go for it. Also, Conviction makes it even easier to hit monsters, because it lowers defence as well (whereas fana just increases your AR).

i'll say it again: Avenger has zero crowd control (unless you also use Conversion from tiem to time), which makes it important to kill baddies in one/two hits. And believe me with Conv + vengeance that's possible, the damage is colossal

Ashery

Prophet
I've noticed the damage...Up to the upper 30's now, and even in NM it's 2-4 swings depending on the mob (I need a new sword rather badly, only 14-40 base damage ;x)

Made a couple mistakes in his build along the way though, so meh...If I could respec I'd drop several of the points I put into the resist all aura (+2% to all three types of ele damage) and instead put'em in each of the single resists (+10% to a single...Almost double if you count everything equal). You only really need a couple points in the resist all aura for it to be useful by itself...For synergies the singles are the way to go...

And I'm thinking about grabbing the Holy Freeze merc once I get a chance to add a bit of crowd control into the mix...Or better yet, get the Doom runeword (Ha, ha, ha...). If someone in hell happens to find a superior ettin axe (unenchanted, no sockets), let me know so I'll have something to use my socket quest on ;p (For non-enchanted items, it adds the weapon's max amount, right?)

Atrokkus

Erudite
Ashery said:
only 14-40 base damage ;x)
oh wow. Hah, i'm surprised you actually made it thus far. Playing zerker barb in singleplayer 8ppl mode right now, doing 150 dmg with my normal attack at level 22 in act 2 normal and still it takes several swings to finish some monsters.

(For non-enchanted items, it adds the weapon's max amount, right?)
Not really. It depends on both the maximum allowed number of sockets for item type, but also on the iLvl of the item dropped, which, in turn, depends on level of monster/area which dropped the item. So no, it's not very predictable.

And yes, of course the resist all aura is a waste here, go for cold/lightning/fire res auras only (preferrably make em same level).

Globbi

Augur
I found nice rare falchion Ashery. It may be better than what you are using now.

Ashery

Prophet
Must've gotten the terminology wrong...14-40 listed damage on the sword, whereas the damage listed in the char sheet is 65ish - 230ish. [Edit] Change that, 132-365 on the char sheet, heh...

Wonder if I should try out some of my unique 2h'ers for the hell of it. Although I'd lose a shield with +1 to all skills (Good bye +12% to all ele synergy).

I honestly need rings more than anything right now ;x

Atrokkus

Erudite
Must've gotten the terminology wrong...14-40 listed damage on the sword, whereas the damage listed in the char sheet is 65ish - 230ish. [Edit] Change that, 132-365 on the char sheet, heh...
It doesn't invalidate my point though. But if you're playing 1 ppl mode only, or in party, it's okay.

Also, you need Insight polearm for your merc fast. Mana will be a major headache for you.

Xi

Arcane
Trap Assassin = Dead (Fucking PKers!) Got to lvl 22 and BAM!

Ok, round 4 coming up, I think i will go for a, mmmmmmm, how about a.......? Another Amazon, but this time I will go Javelin instead. Here we go again....

Atrokkus

Erudite
Alright kids. Learn the rules of harsh world of hardcore ladder.

1. Never join public games past Normal or early NM.
2. Never join a pub game without lvl req, or with high-lvl characters inside.
3. Always create your own series of baalruns (be sure to name them right and keep the right increment) with level requirements, and when you see that you have a more or less stable party, you password all the successive runs and tell the pw to those guys.
4. Make the <ESC> <CLICK> routine reflex-based and lightning fast, and be ready to employ it at any moment. (unless you use the "chicken" hack which does it for you; i dont approve of that, though).

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
If you are careful enough you can join pub games on nm. I've been doing a lot of baalruns, and I've dodged about four pks today. Indeed, you should trust no one, even if a high lvl char has been doing baalruns for ten consecutive games, you should still assume he/she is just trying to pk everyone. And they do do that, try and get you all relaxed and then BAM.

Just stay as far behind as possible on baalruns, behind a pillar with a tp open and your mouse hovering over it. Pay attention to where the high lvl char is on the map and if he gets close to you change to another pillar or leave.

Someone tried to tppk me but their spell wasn't strong enough lawl.

Ashery

Prophet
Atrokkus said:
It doesn't invalidate my point though. But if you're playing 1 ppl mode only, or in party, it's okay.

Also, you need Insight polearm for your merc fast. Mana will be a major headache for you.

Solo, mana isn't too bad...Pot's drop almost as fast as I use'em, rarely do I have to head to town solely to pot. Then again, several of my items just happen to have bonuses to Energy or Mana so I have a reasonable amount...

The Pally's a fucking tank at the moment...22% damage reduction, about 20ish pts in damage reduction as well, 26% lifetap...I could be completely surrounded by normal melee mobs and the only thing I end up worrying about is if my mana pots are going to last, heh. Although if there's a named mob that casts Amplify Damage I'd be fucked ;x

Also, is it worth putting a single point into Defiance to get the synergy with Holy Shield? Putting one skill pt into it would end up resulting in a 45-60% increase in defense due to skill bonuses I get from items...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom