Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II gets full voice acting

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah but when people actually saw screen they saw lack of style, lack of just about anything... in my book for example Underail graphic > Wasteland 2. You can make graphic cheap and look nice…
Look, I’m not defending them. My point is that some players will bitch about practically anything, including the things they like. If a developer takes everything they say at face value he will have problems down the road. If Fargo realised at that time how insincere this “we don’t care about graphics” mantra was, he would probably avoid using Unity assets to save money, and the art direction would be more uniform. Do you want another example also involving players feedback and InXile? Consider how everyone assumed, without a shred of evidence, that a spiritual sucessor to PS:T would be good with little combat using the argument that only the story mattered. It turns out that that was a mistake and T:ToN would be much better with a engrossing combat system.

Quillon

Arcane
Yeah but when people actually saw screen they saw lack of style, lack of just about anything... in my book for example Underail graphic > Wasteland 2. You can make graphic cheap and look nice…
Look, I’m not defending them. My point is that some players will bitch about practically anything, including the things they like. If a developer takes everything they say at face value he will have problems down the road. If Fargo realised at that time how insincere this “we don’t care about graphics” mantra was, he would probably avoid using Unity assets to save money, and the art direction would be more uniform. Do you want another example also involving players feedback and InXile? Consider how everyone assumed, without a shred of evidence, that a spiritual sucessor to PS:T would be good with little combat using the argument that only the story mattered. It turns out that that was a mistake and T:ToN would be much better with a engrossing combat system.

Players don't know what they want, telemetry ftw :ehue:

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
I just wonder why they (and other companies) don´t give the option to activate/deactivate full VOX.
With that they could increase their target group.:smug:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Players don't know what they want, telemetry ftw
Kneejerk response here to the surprise announcements is always scrutiny, usually for the best. But Obsidian are so consistent with their project reports. It's with unfortunate cases like ToN - less transparency during development overall, and complete then silence if called out on something - probably not good.

Cross

Arcane
The voice acting in the first Pillars ranged from unremarkable to subpar despite only a small portion of the game being voiced.

Now they're voicing an entire game, and relatively late in the development cycle. I have a very hard time believing the performances will be anything to write home about (well, write home about in positive terms).

Another thought: what if they came up with the lore hyperlinks in Tyranny specifically to reduce the cost of VO, since unlike a character's expository dialogue, the exposition in a hyperlink wouldn't need to be voiced?
:philosoraptor:

That means that the game being fully voiced wouldn't actually place any limits on the amount of exposition, in fact, it would give them even less restraints. This must have been their plan all along...

:0-13:

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Look, I’m not defending them.
Heh, I will. Thonius, the clear mandate from the backers was "graphics should be last priority" ... not "don't spend money on graphics but make sure they look fuckin great anyway" :lol:

Quillon

Arcane
Another thought: what if they came up with the lore hyperlinks in Tyranny specifically to reduce the cost of VO, since unlike a character's expository dialogue, the exposition in a hyperlink wouldn't need to be voiced?

In any case isn't it a good thing since we hate long expository sections? Fuck their intentions, judge the outcome.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Honest question - why should a game designer's political views be a problem, if they are not leaking into the content of the games he is working on?

They aren't, if they don't. If I don't see them, then I don't care.

Getting back to "investment" for a moment, an investment is only successful if, through dividends, you eventually recoup the initial outlay and start turning a profit within a reasonable time frame with respect to the type of investment. Does anyone more familiar with the matter know if the Fig model is expected to ever recoup the investors' outlay and then turn them even a minuscule profit?

Feargus is wrong dos 2 sucsess is not based on VO but on pure luck in mainstream and being co op TB diablo really helps.

CAKZyRu.jpg

Nothing to see here just horrible english passing trough.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You are more feminine than most heterosexual men, so you prefer women with more masculine-like attributes. It makes sense.
I'm a non-feminine, non-masculine robot who finds extreme femininity and masculinity intimidating. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There you go again shoving your robo-sexual agenda in everyone's face. There they were, totally minding their own business while speculating about your gender, and you just had to flaunt your robo-sexuality. Why can't you silicon justice warriors keep this stuff to yourselves?

Edit: some of my best friends are robots.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
To be honest that survey is shit,most of the questions are obvious and some are very cultural related. How the fuck burning insects and being pyromaniac makes you more masculine is beyond me.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
To be honest that survey is shit,most of the questions are obvious and some are very cultural related. How the fuck burning insects and being pyromaniac makes you more masculine is beyond me.
The girly girl activities of killing insects for pleasure and setting things on fire?

You know who does those things, tomboys.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The girly girl activities of killing insects for pleasure and setting things on fire?

You know who does those things, tomboys.
Both of you misunderstand the survey. They do not ask questions to "determine" your gender.
It asks questions, THEN asks for your gender, and then puts all of that into a database - for example, to see how many of those stereotypes are still valid.

At the end, you do get an average of where you stand in comparison with other participants, though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Both of you misunderstand the survey. They do not ask questions to "determine" your gender.
It asks questions, THEN asks for your gender, and then puts all of that into a database - for example, to see how many of those stereotypes are still valid.

At the end, you do get an average of where you stand in comparison with other participants, though.
In the 1970s Sandra Bem developed the Sex Role Inventory in the challenge to the view the masculinity and femininity were polar opposites and that a masculinity-femininity not matching your gender was a sign of poor mental health. Bem thought that it was possible to be both masculine and feminine at the same time and that this was the healthiest psychological state. The Open Sex Role Inventory was developed as open source, modernized measure of masculinity and femininity.
:M

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In the 1970s Sandra Bem developed the Sex Role Inventory in the challenge to the view the masculinity and femininity were polar opposites and that a masculinity-femininity not matching your gender was a sign of poor mental health. Bem thought that it was possible to be both masculine and feminine at the same time and that this was the healthiest psychological state. The Open Sex Role Inventory was developed as open source, modernized measure of masculinity and femininity.
:M
Damn, I'm in a super healthy psychological state.
I always knew it!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Being at max of both is kind of retarded and pretty far from being a good thing. Can you imagine sitting on the couch,knitting and while watching MMA and crying because of how it stir your feelings. It is good to have some femininity while being a masculine guy and vice versa. Having both at max means that you are some kind of schizophrenic and emotionally unstable.

Probably mentioned already by people, but to me this seems like a waste of time and money. I can't believe given what I have witnessed when watching millennials playing games that most people even listen to more than a second or two of dialogue before pushing whatever button is necessary to skip the rest of the dialogue. The demand for this feature in games often feels just like something morons can bitch and moan about and feel good about when it is implemented simply because they get some sort of strange satisfaction when comparing and sharing features of games they like with their 'friends'...

BTW: before I listened to the video posted by the OP, I thought the 'dude' was just an ugly lesbian chick.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom