Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Delterius

Arcane
if people would just develop their personal brand, they'd be valued employees and all would be fine

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Meh,Josh is ok. It could be a lot worst and it will be a lot worst. The nu wave of writers/creative directors is coming mainly from tumblr and other sjw infested places. I have the feeling that PoE 2 will be the last decent rpg that will come from Obsidian. Would even bet 50 cents on it.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Meh,Josh is ok. It could be a lot worst and it will be a lot worst. The nu wave of writers/creative directors is coming mainly from tumblr and other sjw infested places. I have the feeling that PoE 2 will be the last decent rpg that will come from Obsidian. Would even bet 50 cents on it.
PoE2 will also accomplish its (Feargus’) goal of making enough money to fund a AAA title.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
PoE2 will also accomplish its (Feargus’) goal of making enough money to fund a AAA title.
Doubt it,from the looks of things it will sell worst than PoE1.

2house2fly

Magister
Doubt it,from the looks of things it will sell worst than PoE1.
Tyranny didn't sell very well, and I'm not sure Torment can really be said to have sold at all. This game will pretty much determine whether there's a market out there for RPGs, or if there's just a market out there for Divinity: Original Sin

Cael

Arcane
It is an Obsidian title. Doesn't that usually mean

Banhammer.png

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Joking aside, I don't think anyone else at this level and with this background in the videogames industry is as open as Josh is, to hearing out criticism of his work, and to talking about the industry's problems in the way he did there.

BTW, badler , can you give us any info on what amount of the icons and UI assets of Deadfire will be exposed for modding? I saw somewhere Josh saying that Deadfire will ship with the current icons for passive/active abilities as seen in the Backer Beta, and if possible, I'd like to mod the passive abilities' icons - or all the icons with only white silhouette on a gradient background.

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
From what I can tell, basically the same level as PoE1. So, not really anything exposed. Looks like GUI is compiled into Unity3D files. I know those can be decompiled, but I am unsure of the exact process.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Tyranny didn't sell very well, and I'm not sure Torment can really be said to have sold at all. This game will pretty much determine whether there's a market out there for RPGs, or if there's just a market out there for Divinity: Original Sin

Tim and Leo will deliver us from decline

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
From what I can tell, basically the same level as PoE1. So, not really anything exposed. Looks like GUI is compiled into Unity3D files. I know those can be decompiled, but I am unsure of the exact process.
If the assets themselves are not exposed, it would be equally helpful if the game would take into account assets put in the correct subdir of an "override" directory, similar to how modded ".gamedatabundle" files work. In this case what modders would need would be to know the correct directory structure, so they can put the modded assets in the right place under "override", and the filenames they should use so that a modded asset is recognized and accepted by the game in place of the vanilla, packed asset. If you could please ask around about this, whether it's being done or if there are plans to make it possible, would be great.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I'm just leaving this unrelated news here: https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-hiring-new-team-california-build-exclusive-aaa-games

Microsoft is hiring for a new team in California to build 'AAA' Xbox games
Microsoft has been under a microscope recently over the quality of its first-party games lineup on Xbox. It seems that the company is reacting.

Microsoft has been under pressure to do more to build up its first-party Xbox games portfolio as of late. Its primary competition in the console space, Sony's PlayStation, seems to be churning out Hollywood-level "AAA" games to widespread acclaim with no sign of slowing down. The same cannot be said for Xbox's recent efforts, but we're seeing the first signs that change is on the horizon.

Noticed by Rychu over at ResetEra, Microsoft is hiring a Principle Program Manager with experience in "AAA" games, located in Santa Monica, California.

Executive Producer/ Lead Producer
  • Develop and manage the product production and launch of across various platforms from both a development and publishing perspective
  • Manage development from concept to release and deliver great high quality games that build on franchise goals
  • Deliver financial and schedule goals on time and to quality
  • Build lead and manage a production team, working in conjunction with multiple cross-functional groups, to deliver milestones
  • Develop and improve production and organizational processes as the teams scale
  • Hire and grow internal studio talent to build teams and culture
  • Utilize location in Southern California to build an ecosystem of contract and external employees for production scalability

The listing asks for experiencing in shipping high-quality games to "AAA" standards, which typically refer to titles that utilize photorealistic art assets and expensive production values, including motion-capture, quality voice work and writing. Internally, only Forza, Halo, and Gears of War approach this standard for Xbox, with many of their other titles falling somewhere in the mid-range in terms of production quality.

Recently, I wrote an article describing how Xbox was working on a slim budget in recent years as part of the Windows & Devices group under Terry Myerson. With the re-organization in place and Xbox lead Phil Spencer sitting at the senior leadership table, Xbox will have the resources it needs to create a high-quality portfolio of content as we head towards the next shift in gaming, notably hardware-agnostic cloud streaming. Clearly, this, along with the recent hiring of Daniel Gallagher and promotion of Matt Booty, are the first signs of this turn around.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Did this woman write Xoti?
Dear God! I could guess by just seeing the expression "bare[sic] with me real quick"

I guess a husband working in a game development company is the difference between Starbucks cashier and a "narrative designer" career.

Also, I guess that tweet was first draft and hasn't had an editing pass, because that's not the right way to write "bear with me": https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/1269/is-it-bear-or-bare-with-me

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The fall of Obsidian,apparently in the next few years they will be for bad times. This time there won't be a successful kickstarter supported by old school fans wanting an old school experience. They made sure to shit in those people's mouth as thanks for saving them. Sawyer made sure of it. Their next few projects will be garbage and most likely will flop.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
On a slightly unrelated note, when exactly did Cain come out of the closet for the general public? I wonder if there's a correlation between this and the shitty games he started making.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
On a slightly unrelated note, when exactly did Cain come out of the closet for the general public? I wonder if there's a correlation between this and the shitty games he started making.

You missed the trick here. Should have said that Tim Cain started to suck when he started to suck.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
People noticed for the first time when Drog made a thread stating he was married http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...rries-a-man-and-leaves-carbine-studios.62035/. But it wasn't a secret, 1eyedking had noticed a year before http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...king-a-single-player-mmog.50367/#post-1354123

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom