Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Biggest waste of potential in video games

laclongquan

Arcane
Morrowind

You spend tens of hours, maybe even hundreds, to explore the big world, craft boatload of items, hunt artifacts, kill legions, join factions... then you suddenly wake up to see you go through the motion of playing that game.

Because it doesnt connect. The lifeless dialog, the limpwristed character, the supposedly good writings...

It is writings that kill Morrowind for me: dialog, text, lore... It make the whole gigiantic world a piece of disconnect.

It take 7th spot in Codex top 75 with its true strength, which speak legion about its other quality. Its unability to advance further is entirely due to writings.

Please stop shitting on Morrowind.

It's not shitting as such. not totally shitting.

I gave Morrowind a very heavy backhanded compliment~

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
It may not be Shakespeare, but the writing is always professional and competent. Which means that your dislike of the game is more a matter of personal taste than of any fundamental issue with writing the game has.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I'm always surprised The Sims never went open world.
I agree, but it sort of did though. Sims 3 was open world - or extremely close to it. You could walk from one house to another. It wasn't completely seamless, but it wasn't bad.

Then EA finished lobotomizing Maxis and Sims 4 was chopped into little areas again.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
Diablo II.

Most retarded game I have ever played, only three classes, can't pause during fights, can't save properly...

No wonder it was so liked by some of my retarded friends.

Arcanum is also retarded game.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've personally only considered 2D, open world Castlevania games to be a metroidvania, and I know of the 3D Castlevanias like 64 and LoI but haven't played any of them. Will try someday.

I also acknowledge that many 2D games considered "metroidvania" have very different feel compared to actual open world Castlevanias and the Metroid games, so I'm not going to argue "what's a metroidvania"

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
What do you want you retards?

You're just playing your retarded games.

'Hey, look, i'm playing a game, wow'

Read books instead, retards.
Shut up or I am going to break your car's glasses and burn socks in your frontyard and send you prank pizza deliveries and draw penis on your house's wall.

wyes gull

Savant
State of Decay. For those not in the know, it had everything to be a big budget (or mid budget, at any rate), 3rd person Dead State, where you attempt to balance base-building to keep a number of survivors alive and action sequences where you drive/fight/explore/scavenge in order to protect/supplement your base, find new survivors, help others or just for shits n' giggles. It featured a rpg-lite character progression system, a strat-lite option to send characters on errands and perma-death, all 3 combining to create the potential for a open-ended storyline based on your choices in characters or base upgrades, deaths or who you found/played with. It also had competent graphics, sound & presentation and decent enough action mechanics for driving, fighting and movement.

Alas, it was all undone for the stupidest of reasons- because it was too god damn easy.
All the potential for drama (having to choose between rescuing A or B, having no characters to fight off an invasion because they were all too tired, having to lose characters to starvation, having to rely on low-level survivors performing tasks they were incompetent at, having to rely on cpu controlled characters to carry out assignments you weren't sure they were equipped to handle) suddenly rendered moot because every problem can easily be fixed. And a survival game turns into a game of chores in just 2 or 3 hours. 2 or 3 pretty great hours, mind.

And if I were a betting man, I'd wager State of Decay 2 that's coming out next month is going to be exactly the same.

Ash

Arcane
Half Life 2. gravity gun was the best part of the game and you get it only for the ending.
I don't know what version of HL2 you played, but you get the gravity gun fairly early in the game, in Chapter 5 (there are 13 chapters in total).

I meant the supercharged version of gravity gun you get at the end of the game where you could use it kill people.

You mean the one that's actually logically consistent with how it grabs onto pieces of matter instead of just grabbing inanimate objects for some reason

The real logic of course resides in game balance. The end game gravity gun is overpowered as fuck, even the swarms of enemies they throw at you is no match. It's pretty boring once the novelty of throwing people about wears off (in two minutes).
If the Gravity Gun was like that from the moment you get it early in the game, it would be a legit broke experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom